PDA

View Full Version : Linares/Moralia

Garvinator
18-02-2006, 11:58 PM
Linares starts later tonight and no threads so far. This will be rectified.

Are we going to do our usual put tips in and compare how we go against the draw result:eek:

Tournament is being played in two locations this time. First half is in Moralia, Mexico and second half in Linares.

Draw for round one:

Round 1: Saturday, February 18th

Francisco Vallejo Peter Leko
Peter Svidler Veselin Topalov
Etienne Bacrot Vassily Ivanchuk
Levon Aronian Teimour Radjabov

Alan Shore
19-02-2006, 12:01 AM
Yeah here's my tip, draw for all players for all rounds.

Thankyou to all my fans, couldn't have won without you all, goodnight, good luck, afk.

Gringo
19-02-2006, 11:39 AM
Rd 1

Leko
Topalov
Chukky
Aronian

Southpaw Jim
19-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Anyone got a live feed/broadcast site?

Dozy
19-02-2006, 05:49 PM
Anyone got a live feed/broadcast site?World Chess Network will be broadcasting live with audio commentary by Irina Krush and Larry Christiansen.

Membership is $US50/P.A. but they have a two week guest membership deal which is gratis, but you only get one bite of it. (Bergil took advantage of that to watch the World Championship last year)

You can find them at http://www.WorldChessNetwork.com

eclectic
19-02-2006, 08:17 PM
so is there something in the tournament arrangements to stop the contestants flying in the same plane from moralia to linares?

Southpaw Jim
19-02-2006, 09:14 PM
World Chess Network will be broadcasting live with audio commentary by Irina Krush and Larry Christiansen.

Cheers, the official site (http://www.marca.com/linares/2006/index.html), well... ¿hable español? As a result, the algebraic notation is all wrong (e.g. "Tg4") :eek: and lazy me can't be bothered working it out :uhoh:

Garvinator
19-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Cheers, the official site (http://www.marca.com/linares/2006/index.html), well... ¿hable español? As a result, the algebraic notation is all wrong (e.g. "Tg4") :eek: and lazy me can't be bothered working it out :uhoh:
the algebraic notation is just in spanish i think, which is perfectly legal ;) unless you are saying that spanish should be illegal:lol: :whistle:

Southpaw Jim
20-02-2006, 06:27 AM
Jeez, I never expected the Spanish Inquisition... :lol:

I realise it's in Spanish - can you suggest any other sites that broadcast the PGN in English?

Southpaw Jim
21-02-2006, 08:29 AM
Well, it looks like the favourite isn't having the best start to the tournament, Veselin losing to Svidler in Round 1 and drawing with Bacrot in Round 2.

Standings after Round 2:

1. Svidler, P 2.0
2. Leko, P 2.0
3. Ivanchuk, V 1.5
4. Bacrot, E 1.0
5. Aronian, L 1.0
6. Topalov, V 0.5
7. Radjabov, T 0.0
8. Vallejo, P 0.0

Southpaw Jim
21-02-2006, 07:41 PM
Round 3 draws all round.

For anyone who's interested, The Week in Chess (http://www.chesscenter.com/twic/twic.html#news431) has PGN (in English).

Southpaw Jim
23-02-2006, 09:01 PM
Seems I'm the only one interested :uhoh:

Looks like the punters are going to lose money on the favourite, Topalov has lost a 2nd game in 4 rounds. Leko and Svidler on top with 3.5/4 each.

Garvinator
26-02-2006, 06:08 PM
with six rounds in the record books of history, Topalov is at the bottom of the round robin table. One more round in Morelia to go, then they are off to Linares for the second half of the tournament.

Looks like Topalov is doing a great performance to help his chances of a match with Kramnik:whistle: :uhoh:

Kevin Bonham
27-02-2006, 01:37 PM
Looks like Topalov is doing a great performance to help his chances of a match with Kramnik:whistle: :uhoh:

It probably makes a T-K match more likely than had he crushed everyone like a bug. If either T or K dominated the world chess scene then many would lose interest in the title claims of the other, but with neither consistently doing so there may be more at stake to encourage a match.

As a frequent Moscow Semi-Slav player I enjoyed Vallejo Pons' win over Topalov and spent a while playing through it earlier today. Death to 6.Bh4 !:cool:

WhiteElephant
04-03-2006, 08:25 AM
The 2 bottom dwellers, Topalov and Bacrot score in the first game at Linares. Should be an exciting finish to the tournament with the players bunched uo pretty closely together. Surely Topalov can't get close from this deficit, but you never know.

Bill Gletsos
05-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Well Topalov just won his in the 2nd round in Linares and is now equal 3rd and trails the leader Leko by 1.5 points with 5 rounds to go.

He will play the 2nd placegetter Aronian tonight as White and faces Leko also with White in the penultimate round.

So this could get quite exciting.

Bill Gletsos
06-03-2006, 09:55 AM
So Topalov has 3 from 3 at Linares having beaten Aronian and is now equal second on 5.5, only 1 point behind the leader Leko.
He is black against Radjabov in the next round.

Bill Gletsos
11-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Well Topalov beat Leko to be the equal leader with Leko, Radjabov and Aronian on 7.5.

The final round is:
Peter Leko - Levon Aronian
Etienne Bacrot - Teimour Radjabov
Peter Svidler - Vassily Ivanchuk
Francisco Vallejo - Veselin Topalov

WhiteElephant
12-03-2006, 06:10 AM
Aronian wins!

Bizarre turnaround, with Leko coming 4th after leading all tournament while Topalov and Radjabov =2nd, both coming from the back of the field.

Garvinator
12-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Aronian wins!
and this shows why none of us on here should bet on anything. None of us picked Aronian to win the tournament:eek: