PDA

View Full Version : How would you like to get the IM title?

12-02-2006, 08:58 PM
I am just wandering how would you like to get the IM title? Through the norms or through the zonal. For me the norms.

Regards

Davidflude
13-02-2006, 08:38 AM
I am just wandering how would you like to get the IM title? Through the norms or through the zonal. For me the norms.

Regards

I like the third way which is to play lots of correspondence chess until you wind up playing in tournaments with Correspondence Grand Masters. If you achieve a high enough points total in a strong tournament you can become a correspondence IM. Make no mistake these guys are good. Guy West earned his Correspondence IM title playing in a correspondence GM tournament. I have seen some of his games and the games were really tough.

I am playing a fixed openings tournament where one of my opponents is a Senior International master named Allen George Savage who has played in the three quarter final of the World Correspondence Championship. I notice that he is no slouch over the board playing some strong Grand Masters.

This tournament will prove a real test of how well I understand he King's Gambit. I love playing really strong players in Correspondence (these days it uses a database rather than snail mail).

Kevin Bonham
13-02-2006, 12:30 PM

How about by winning the International Committee of Silent Chess World Championship or the Centroamerican-Caribbean Junior Championship?

Interestingly re the prestige of IM vs WGM which is much debated, I note that clear first place in the World Girls Championship is an automatic WGM title but only a nine-game IM norm. Various other indicators show that FIDE regards WGM as a weaker title than IM.

Igor_Goldenberg
13-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Various other indicators show that FIDE regards WGM as a weaker title than IM.

check the qualification requirements:

IM - rating >2400, norm = 2450 performance
WGM - rating >2300, norm = 2400 performance.

I'd say WGM is somewehre between FM and IM

arosar
13-02-2006, 02:29 PM
I'd say WGM is somewehre between FM and IM

The first black African woman to become WGM is Tuduetso Sabure, rated 2072.

AR

Dozy
13-02-2006, 02:37 PM

Regards

1144I'll have to wait till Kelloggs start giving them away with breakfast cereal . . .

qpawn
13-02-2006, 03:11 PM
You guys are debating about HOW you would like to get the IM title?

Isn't that like debating what coloured winning lotto ticket you would like? I don't like my first division win - that red ticket isn't my chosen colour :lol:

Come on. Anyway you can get it, to be an IM with all the glory thrown in that comes with it, you take it.

Not that such a title will ever come to a hopeless case lilke I am of course :evil: :mad:

Alan Shore
13-02-2006, 05:23 PM
I'll have to wait till Kelloggs start giving them away with breakfast cereal . . .

Damn, I was going to give the exact same call.

Actually Dozy you reminded me of something else... will reveal in a couple of days.

eclectic
13-02-2006, 06:05 PM
go directly to GM Gaol .... do not collect $200IM :cool:

ElevatorEscapee
13-02-2006, 08:22 PM
There is also the method of bribing existing titled players to lose to you in matches and tournaments. (I vaguely recall one Russian chess official that had his title taken from him in the 80s or 90s because he hadn't actually earned it).

Rincewind
13-02-2006, 09:00 PM
There is also the method of bribing existing titled players to lose to you in matches and tournaments. (I vaguely recall one Russian chess official that had his title taken from him in the 80s or 90s because he hadn't actually earned it).

If memory serves he was from either Bulgaria (I think) or possibly Romania. He may have been a high ranking official in his national chess organisation too.

Ian Rout
14-02-2006, 08:38 AM
I suspect there is an agenda in the original question to suggest that a title obtained from an event which carries an automatic title is easier (= less legitimate) than scoring norms.

In some recently discussed instances that is probably true. But not always. The latest BCM carries a short obituary of IM Bela Berger noting that he got his title for finishing equal first in a zonal in Jakarta, which may be a bigger achievement than some other instances that have been mentioned. At the next level up, Bobby Fischer got his GM title by qualifying for the 1959 Candidates final.

On the other hand norms can be obtained by paying entry fees to sausage-machine European tournaments and scraping a norm three times in a hundred attempts against 85-year-olds who aren't trying too hard. For this reason FIDE added another clause to this method requiring a minimum FIDE rating be achieved. It's this, if anything, that makes a norms-based title harder to get.

I think EE is talking about Mr Crisan of Romania. More recently there was the case of the Ukrainian tournament that didn't happen.

pax
14-02-2006, 01:32 PM

An IM is an IM.

pax
14-02-2006, 01:35 PM
By the way: direct qualification for IM titles through Open tournaments has been around for many years. Shane Hill (now rated 2295, though inactive for many years) won his IM title through the Asian Junior in about 1986.

Alan Shore
14-02-2006, 01:37 PM
An IM is an IM.

But a toll is a toll and a roll is a roll, and if we don't get no tolls, then we don't eat no rolls.

FM_Bill
22-02-2006, 04:43 PM
The real way to get an IM title is through the norms,
as Nick Speck is.

There is another thread on the zonal where everyone rated above
1400 got a title.

Lucena
22-02-2006, 10:16 PM
But a toll is a toll and a roll is a roll, and if we don't get no tolls, then we don't eat no rolls.

You didn't make that up.:)

Alan Shore
22-02-2006, 10:23 PM
You didn't make that up.:)

Strucky has loxed again....