PDA

View Full Version : rodents next big idea

Davidflude
09-02-2006, 07:47 PM
Rumours today that one advertising executive has said that the next big Federal Government advertising campaign will be the one leading up to the wrecking (whoops he said reform) of medibank. Remember the rodent was the one who wrecked medibank one.

McTaggart
09-02-2006, 09:22 PM
If this turns out to be true it will merely confirm what a brilliant politican the little rodent is. He can read the Australian elecorate like nobody else, he plays them like a violin.. Classic tactics such as diversion, plus old fashioned scaremongering, coupled with what I can only describe as un-believable luck, as in 9/11 and children over board,events he could not have orchestrated, occuring just at the most fortuitious time. He knows that he can appeal to the deep streak of conservatism that has always lurked in the heart of the Australian electorate. He knows how to sweeten the bad medicine by massaging the hip pocket nerve with a few dollars,they can always be bought off no matter what the issue. So when AWB scandals come up the weary electorate throw up their hands,saying " corrupt bastards", not really surprised and Howard & co know by election time rolls around it will be just a dim memory.With the totally useless opposition unable to hold the government responsible,it is left to the media and as you well know,never believe all you read in the papers. Howard can even deny and escape responsibility for events that we witness with our own eyes on the TV. The "Sargent Schultz" defence never fails...even Mark Vaile is using it! The Westminster concept of ministerial responsibility has long ago been ditched. Mark Latham was one bloke who saw through them and was able to articulate his concerns,it is a pity that he became disillusioned and unstable. Now we are having to rely on minor partys like the Greens if we want to really know what is happening, Bob Brown is one honest Politican but unfortunately with no clout.So we are stuck with outrageous nutters like Heffernan who hold their collegues and the public in equal contempt. I am going to watch the "Insiders" program on Sunday morning,ABC, to see what rationale Ackerman and or Bolt will come up with. If it were not so sad I would be laughing....

Southpaw Jim
09-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Indeed. Whilst the AWB thing has been causing me endless mirth, the truth is that they won't suffer nary a scratch over it. 2.5 years to an election, it'll be long forgotten by then...

Spiny Norman
10-02-2006, 05:36 AM
Indeed. Whilst the AWB thing has been causing me endless mirth, the truth is that they won't suffer nary a scratch over it. 2.5 years to an election, it'll be long forgotten by then...
I dunno. Any Victorians here remember the "Guilty Party" ads? That stuff got a lot of traction in the electorate.

Southpaw Jim
10-02-2006, 06:24 AM
I dunno. Any Victorians here remember the "Guilty Party" ads? That stuff got a lot of traction in the electorate.

Well one can only hope! :) It's getting increasingly hard to believe that the government knew nothing about it :mad:...

PHAT
10-02-2006, 06:32 AM
If this turns out to be true ...

Taggs, great post. You could make a few quid on the side as an opinion columnist.

Davidflude
10-02-2006, 08:21 AM
Just remember the lesson of the share market. The further the market swings to the extremities the more violent the correction. The same occurs in politics. John Howard may be suffering from hubris (the modern version not the ancient greek version). Some of his underlings certainly are. In my opinion Alexander Downer is slowly losing the plot. Whitlam, Joan Kirner and Jeff all swung to the extremities of the pendulum and paid the price.

When the change comes it will come fast and out of a clear sky. All the bullsh*t in Gippsland will not save the coalition when the change comes. My main concern is that Labour has not cleaned out the dead wood and rebuilt. I saw a report yesterday that Bracks is replacing baby boomers with Generation-X people. This needs to happen at Federal level.

eclectic
10-02-2006, 08:22 AM
apply now to become a rodent's squalor

Steve K
10-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Whilst I agree with the sentiment in McTaggart's post I don't agree with the assessment that the Rodent is as clever as many observers of politics would have us believe. The main reason the Rodent was been so successful is the increasing greed and self centeredness in the Australian community.

There is also the stupidity and ignorance factor but Iím not sure thatís any worse today than say 20 years ago.

McTaggart
11-02-2006, 09:53 PM
I think I alluded to that increasing greed plus a self-centered out-look,Steve K, I guess we are really on the same page here but you have to admit that the Rodent is brilliant at exploiting these failings of the Aussie voter. The old saying,"we get the goverment we deserve" has a grain of truth in it.

Davidflude
15-02-2006, 10:54 AM
Rumours today that Saddam's mob paid 2-4% of the kickbacks back to some Australians. I wonder to whom and how.

Spiny Norman
15-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Rumours today that Saddam's mob paid 2-4% of the kickbacks back to some Australians. I wonder to whom and how.
Gotta flush them out. Can't have rats in the ranks.

McTaggart
15-02-2006, 01:15 PM
Gotta flush them out. Can't have rats in the ranks.

Talking of rats,Downer,Vaile and Minchin are looking increasingly furtive..Downer believes implicitly in his dept,(quote;they told me they knew nothing and I believe them) but does not believe in Ministerial responsibility. Vaile has the amnesia defence "I cannot remember anything", not even when it is pointed out to him. What did he say? oh yes,"it is not in the report it is only in the preamble", Minchin has obviously read Catch-22,quote,"We cannot question public servants whilst the Cole inquiry is in progress, (Rejoinder)" But the Cole inquiry has not included that in it's brief!" Reply, Well, I didn't set the terms of inquiry.

Is there a Liberal voter out there who can tell me how this is alright?

Lucena
18-02-2006, 12:02 PM
apply now to become a rodent's squalor

oh dear :rolleyes: :wall: