PDA

View Full Version : FIDE elections

Vlad
09-02-2006, 11:24 AM
I do not know if anybody has already started this topic. It would be interesting to know what our leaders think about FIDE elections, whom they are going to vote, etc. Ilyumzinov, Kok or somebody else?

Please see Seirawan's interview on the matter below.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2908

pballard
09-02-2006, 12:17 PM
I do not know if anybody has already started this topic. It would be interesting to know what our leaders think about FIDE elections, whom they are going to vote, etc. Ilyumzinov, Kok or somebody else?

I've said it here before: I'd like Australia to vote for anyone but Kirsan.

Garvinator
09-02-2006, 01:13 PM
agreed, the principle of anyone but Kirsan applies here.

Does the acf council have any opinion at all so far?

Oepty
09-02-2006, 06:27 PM

Peter, totally agree. Kirsan must go. It would be very hard to find somebody worse.
Scott

pballard
09-02-2006, 09:55 PM
I notice that there are two letters on the subject in the latest ACF bulletin (from Michael Baron and Richard Gastineau-Hills). There seems to be a pretty consistent anti-Kirsan sentiment in Australian chess. So... will the ACF instruct its FIDE delegate how to vote?

Leonid Sandler
09-02-2006, 10:17 PM
It would be beneficial to all concerned to think about candidates for FIDE presidency and make informed decisions based on facts not emotions or speculations

ElevatorEscapee
10-02-2006, 04:10 PM
I agree with Leonid's statement above.

The vote for "anyone but x" policy can all too often lead to power being granted to someone worse than the person being voted against. ;)

Vlad
26-02-2006, 12:26 PM

It does not look like they are thinking anything. The strategy is "wait and see". Whoever wins is the best.

shaun
26-02-2006, 02:08 PM
You need to join a "real" chess federation. The PNGCF made its decision weeks ago.

eclectic
26-02-2006, 04:25 PM
agreed, the principle of anyone but Kirsan applies here.

Does the acf council have any opinion at all so far?

it will most likely be another fide conference junket for phil viner where he will abstain because he has not been instructed on how to vote by those whom he purports to represent ...

say no more :hand:

PHAT
26-02-2006, 07:48 PM
it will most likely be another fide conference junket for phil viner where he will abstain because he has not been instructed on how to vote by those whom he purports to represent ...

say no more :hand:

How dare you suggest the ACF is foolish. You are going to here more about this.

eclectic
26-02-2006, 08:10 PM
How dare you suggest the ACF is foolish. You are going to here more about this.

no, i wouldn't dare to stand alongside you on your soapbox!!!

Garvinator
26-02-2006, 08:20 PM
no, i wouldn't dare to stand alongside you on your soapbox!!!
you would get your own soapbox:lol:

eclectic
26-02-2006, 08:26 PM
you would get your own soapbox:lol:

SHUT UP AND STAY ON YOUR OWN!!

Garvinator
26-02-2006, 08:28 PM
SHUT UP AND STAY ON YOUR OWN!!
i have my own soapbox and also a derby cart. I dont need to get on your soapbox or Matt's, so please stop shouting at me:(

Vlad
26-02-2006, 10:19 PM
You need to join a "real" chess federation. The PNGCF made its decision weeks ago.

a) Does it accept applications?

b) If the answer to a) is "yes", can a peson represent PNG in the Olympiad?:)

pballard
07-03-2006, 10:30 AM
It is now confirmed that there are two tickers for FIDE leadership: one headed by the incumbent Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, and one headed by Bessel Kok. http://www.chess.co.uk/twic/twic591.html#18

Any word on an official ACF position?

PHAT
07-03-2006, 10:45 AM
It is now confirmed that there are two tickers for FIDE leadership: one headed by the incumbent Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, and one headed by Bessel Kok. http://www.chess.co.uk/twic/twic591.html#18

Any word on an official ACF position?

Dunno about the ACF, but the challenger has the womens vote in his pocket.

pballard
07-03-2006, 12:40 PM
Dunno about the ACF, but the challenger has the womens vote in his pocket.

"Please explain".

McTaggart
15-03-2006, 10:38 AM

Can I join too and play for PNG?

shaun
15-03-2006, 10:53 AM

(A) Always happy to have more members assisting chess in PNG
(B) Sadly no, unless you are either a citizen of PNG (very hard to get), a permanent resident, or born there (very hard to arrange at this stage of your life).

four four two
15-03-2006, 10:58 AM
Which category do you fit into for PNG Shaun,citizen or born there?:hmm:

McTaggart
15-03-2006, 11:55 AM
(A) Always happy to have more members assisting chess in PNG
(B) Sadly no, unless you are either a citizen of PNG (very hard to get), a permanent resident, or born there (very hard to arrange at this stage of your life).

BLAST! thwarted again, just when I had all the necessary wherewithall to go..Sapristi Nobolis! foiled etc....

Garvinator
17-03-2006, 03:24 AM
Just seen the latest acf bulletin:

FIDE Elections: The ACF Council has decided publicly to support the Right Move ticket headed by Bessel Kok in the coming FIDE elections. I have sent the following statement to the Right Move organisers and it has gratefully acknowledged and been published by them.

"The Australian Chess Federation Council has resolved to give its support to the Right Move ticket led by Mr Bessel Kok at the forthcoming FIDE elections. The Federation believes that it is time for FIDE to take a new direction under a new team. It regards Mr Kok as the right man for the Presidency in light of his extensive experience both in chess organisation and in business."

- Denis Jessop
President
Australian Chess Federation

All I have to say is:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :banana:

Lucena
17-03-2006, 01:03 PM
:owned: :clap:

Vlad
04-04-2006, 03:19 PM

http://www.rightmove06.org/index.php?set_language=en&cccpage=ST_Federations

If one follows the above link, he can see a picture of Dennis Jessop. Just wondering where is the picture of Shaun Press (or whoever is the PNGCF president)?:)

antichrist
04-04-2006, 04:00 PM
ACF should put a motion to FIDE that drug tests and searches not take place, or maybe PNG chess federation should do.

Denis_Jessop
04-04-2006, 05:56 PM
http://www.rightmove06.org/index.php?set_language=en&cccpage=ST_Federations

If one follows the above link, he can see a picture of Dennis Jessop. Just wondering where is the picture of Shaun Press (or whoever is the PNGCF president)?:)

They only got my picture because they asked for it. But more seriously, Australia is on the Right Move website because we have informed them of our support. Clearly PNG has not done this or they would have been given the same treatment.

Both sides are keen to claim as many supporters as they can. Kirsan claims 40 federations are supporting him and lists them. They include Afghanistan which is also claimed by the Right Move. Afghani politics being what they are, this is to be expected ;)

DJ

pballard
05-04-2006, 05:32 PM
They only got my picture because they asked for it. But more seriously, Australia is on the Right Move website because we have informed them of our support.

Just noticed this. Let me add my applause.

Trent Parker
01-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Ily and Kok call a truce?

I don't think so (thechessnut.blogspot.com)

Brian_Jones
08-05-2006, 10:56 AM
FIDE Elections: The ACF Council has decided publicly to support the Right Move ticket headed by Bessel Kok in the coming FIDE elections. I have sent the following statement to the Right Move organisers and it has gratefully acknowledged and been published by them.

"The Australian Chess Federation Council has resolved to give its support to the Right Move ticket led by Mr Bessel Kok at the forthcoming FIDE elections. The Federation believes that it is time for FIDE to take a new direction under a new team. It regards Mr Kok as the right man for the Presidency in light of his extensive experience both in chess organisation and in business."

- Denis Jessop
President
Australian Chess Federation

Just to bring some balance into the discussion (and show not everyone agrees).
I believe the ACF has made a mistake in giving early support to Right Move.
It looks to me as just an anti-Kirsan stand - time for a change!?
But Kirsan is not so bad for the grass roots of chess around the world.

So what have the candidates said in relation to development of chess in Australia?
We should not commit our vote to Right Move without the promise of something in return.
I would support Kirsan if he put $200,000 into Aussie chess!

antichrist
08-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Just to bring some balance into the discussion (and show not everyone agrees).
I believe the ACF has made a mistake in giving early support to Right Move.
It looks to me as just an anti-Kirsan stand - time for a change!?
But Kirsan is not so bad for the grass roots of chess around the world.

So what have the candidates said in relation to development of chess in Australia?
We should not commit our vote to Right Move without the promise of something in return.
I would support Kirsan if he put $200,000 into Aussie chess!

Now you are bringing us down to the level of the Solomon Islands level, we can be bought out for a price.

Brian_Jones
08-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Now you are bringing us down to the level of the Solomon Islands level, we can be bought out for a price.

Yes, we need the money!

Just look at how Australia supports its Olympiad teams!

Tell your mate Bessel I'll shut up if he coughs up 200 grand for Australian chess!

PHAT
08-05-2006, 01:23 PM
Tell your mate Bessel I'll shut up if he coughs up 200 grand for Australian chess!

Bessel might say, "Use your own $80k first :hand: "

MichaelBaron
08-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Yes, we need the money!

Just look at how Australia supports its Olympiad teams!

There are some things that money can not buy :doh:

McTaggart
08-05-2006, 05:24 PM
There are some things that money can not buy :doh:

and there are a lot of things that money can buy:lol:

Igor_Goldenberg
01-06-2006, 09:42 PM
When do we know the results? (please, I do not want to hear something like "We already know the result" before the voting)

Garvinator
02-06-2006, 04:45 AM
When do we know the results? (please, I do not want to hear something like "We already know the result" before the voting)
we already know the result before the voting;)

From looking at the timetable on www.fide.com, I believe the voting for the presidential tickets takes place on 3rd June, Italy time. I am sure that there will be news on chessbase soon after.

Bill Gletsos
02-06-2006, 05:02 PM
we already know the result before the voting;)

From looking at the timetable on www.fide.com, I believe the voting for the presidential tickets takes place on 3rd June, Italy time.Is there an explicit statement saying they occur on 3rd June.
The General Assembly starts meeting on June 2nd and is a 7hr sessionwith a 2hr breakn from 1pm-3pm. Given the election is item 3 on the agenda, I would have thought the election would take place on 2nd June.

jenni
02-06-2006, 05:27 PM
I read somewhere that the elections were on the Friday - might have been in the Moscow newspaper article.

Looking forward to getting them out of the way, so maybe we can get some info coming about about World Youth/Juniors. Everyone seems paralysed with electioneering.