PDA

View Full Version : docksdispute.com

Watto
09-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Hi. A friend of mine, a documentary film maker, researched the 1998 Waterfront Dispute, shot a lot of footage, may still make a film. In the meantime she's created a site (description below) which is finally ready enough for feedback. She asked some of her friends to have a go and tell her what’s not quite working. I offered to post it here to get a broader response as I thought it's the kind of material people might be interested in, in non-chess. So if anyone's interested, go for it, be honest. :)

I haven't had a chance to look at the site myself yet, not in any detail. Her description:

"So you know what it is:
The site is a dramatic recreation of the 1998 Waterfront Dispute, an event which polarised many Australians. It is an extraordinary story of the clash of unions and business, of left and right politics, of people-power and strong-arm tactics. It is a story played out on an international front, in private board rooms, pubs, the wharves, the public service and the highest courts of Australia. Which side will you choose to take in this monumental dispute? Will you help the union or the company? www.docksdispute.com"

btw, She produced 'It's time to go John' if anyone knows that pre-election film.

Basil
11-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Well after 18 months, I thought I should reply. So I have. Else Bonham will classify this as a post that non-one responded to.

Spiny Norman
11-06-2007, 07:29 PM
btw, She produced 'It's time to go John' if anyone knows that pre-election film.
I take it we're referring to the mock-umentary which showed recently on the ABC? So it really was a political act, given she has form for producing overtly policital material pre-election (mind you, this was obvious just by watching it).

Watto
12-06-2007, 08:38 AM
I take it we're referring to the mock-umentary which showed recently on the ABC? So it really was a political act, given she has form for producing overtly policital material pre-election (mind you, this was obvious just by watching it).
I don't know whether It's Time To Go John was shown on the ABC but yes, we're probably talking about the same thing (a whole bunch of film makers got involved). Yes, she co-produced that and obviously as you say it had an overtly political purpose, put together in a short amount of time.
Her work on the docks dispute isn't the same as ITTGJ- it's your basic, traditional documentary footage and approach, actually shot at the time of the dispute. She's still going to make a film but in the meantime, she decided to use some of that research for docksdispute.com (she'd discovered the joys of website design and was experimenting) but I haven't looked at the site since I made the first post. My impression was that the site required a fair bit of work to make it appealing and functional enough for people to enjoy it.
Howard, nice of you to resurrect this but now I don't have a thread which hasn't been replied to... I was quite happy to have at least one! ;)

pax
12-06-2007, 02:47 PM

It's not the same as Bastard Boys, if that's what you mean. That was a drama, not a documentary.

Spiny Norman
12-06-2007, 04:14 PM
It's not the same as Bastard Boys, if that's what you mean. That was a drama, not a documentary.
Thanks Pax ... that was the program I was thinking of ... thanks for clearing that up.

Capablanca-Fan
12-06-2007, 06:32 PM
What do you expect? Many of our noted leftists praised the Venezuelan Stalin, Hugo Chavez, just as he shut down the opposition television station (http://www.billmuehlenberg.com/2007/06/11/dictatorships-and-double-standards/).

Denis_Jessop
12-06-2007, 08:05 PM
What do you expect? Many of our noted leftists praised the Venezuelan Stalin, Hugo Chavez, just as he shut down the opposition television station (http://www.billmuehlenberg.com/2007/06/11/dictatorships-and-double-standards/).

One person they wouldn't praise is Creationist Crackpot Jono

DJ

Basil
12-06-2007, 09:16 PM
One person they wouldn't praise is Creationist Crackpot Jono

DJ
Any reason for this this, Denis? I appreciate I'm not your dad, just observing what seems to be an unnecessary Barryism ;) :P