PDA

View Full Version : Has a player ever left the game...

The_Wise_Man
05-02-2006, 09:24 PM
only to come back with a totally different style of play...

any examples or am I just going off on a tangent...

Wise

noswonky
05-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Bobby Fischer left the game for a long time.
When he came back he was setting up the pieces randomly.;)

PHAT
05-02-2006, 11:28 PM
Bobby Fischer left the game for a long time.
When he came back he was setting up the pieces randomly.;)

:clap:

Andrew Lloyd Webber gave Chess a miss and let Tim Rice compose independant lines.

Alan Shore
05-02-2006, 11:31 PM
Hmm..

I took a break of almost a year.. I found I started playing more positional chess... but probably because my tactics were so rusty.

WhiteElephant
06-02-2006, 07:43 AM
Hmm..

I took a break of almost a year.. I found I started playing more positional chess... but probably because my tactics were so rusty.

Heh for me it's the opposite. I had a break of about 10 years from chess. I used to try to block up positions - stonewall/ maroczy bind type positions and then try to grind out a slow win. Nowadays I'm finding I get bored quickly by that and try to open up positions and look for devastating tactics. I think it has a correlation to the way I have changed as a person - now I have more confidence and am prepared to take more risks than I used to.

Denis_Jessop
06-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Heh for me it's the opposite. I had a break of about 10 years from chess. I used to try to block up positions - stonewall/ maroczy bind type positions and then try to grind out a slow win. Nowadays I'm finding I get bored quickly by that and try to open up positions and look for devastating tactics. I think it has a correlation to the way I have changed as a person - now I have more confidence and am prepared to take more risks than I used to.

Interesting to hear this as my experience was almost the same. I had a 13-year break. Before that I used to play highly congested and complex games and forever got into time trouble (and rather enjoyed it) due to trying to calculate at great length. On return I started to play "intuitively" - a euphemism for superficial rubbish - and tactically and didn't ever get into time trouble. But I found that unsatisfying and gave up again (temporarily?).

DJ

qpawn
07-02-2006, 09:31 AM
I gave up chess for about 5 years before starting again this year after wandering into a Grand Prix tournament.

I once played a Serbian man who told me when I played him in 1996, that he had not played at all since before the second world war! He was deadly serious! He wasn't pulling my leg.

There have been cases of great players changing their style of play after a break from chess. One case is the former world champion Boris Spassky. He was quite a scientific, positional player until he took a break from chess to come back and, for some reason only he knows, become the more attacking, tactical player that we all know. When Fischer, as black, lost to Spassky in a king's gambit at Mar De Plata Spassky's attacking flair was in full flight.

The_Wise_Man
20-02-2006, 05:53 PM
s/he may come back with a different style of play or with new openings etc...

and as such may be harder to prepare for initially..

Wise

Lucena
20-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Kuan Kuan Tian stopped playing for a while. I believe he won a game in a recent weekender with d6 and Kd7 as his first two moves :eh: .

arosar
20-02-2006, 09:19 PM
That is correct. And he even had to consult with the arbiter before the start of play to ensure that he wasn't being "improper" in any way.

In NZ, there is a player who, if white in the last round, always plays 1. f3... 2. Kf2...3. Kg3 and back again.

AR