PDA

View Full Version : worst software 2006 award

qpawn
05-02-2006, 01:23 PM
The award, ladies and gentlemen, is for the worst software of 2006. The design and content must be deplorable and the cost exorbitant.

Uusually, the end of 2006 is the time when this award is given. However, there has arrived such an exceptionally bad piece of software that nothing will surpass it for the year. Hence, contrary to convention, the award goes ...drum roll... to...

NORTON ANTIVIRUS 2006

If you are so unfortunate to have spent 80 bucks on this junk, you will find that the RAM and memory needed to run Norton 06 is twice that of Norton 05. And if you tried to install it without realising what a memory-guzzler it is, you will find that it partially installs and gets stuck at a certain point. That may be due to the Norton 04/03...etc that you couldn't uninstall. Well, guess what! Norton 06 is even harder to uninstall! You would like the damn memory space back and, more importantly, you can't install any other antivirus stuff until you get rid of Norton 06! Isn't that neat? What software from hell - once you get it on your PC you can't get it off. I can hear the evil cackle of the Symantec marketing men. It's like that lyric from a rock song: when the only way in is the only way out.

So, I tried uninstalling from the control panel programs list. Nope. Symantec won't allow that. So it comes down to good old fashioned stuff: going to a search for all files with symantec in them and zapping them. I can see all the tech gurus shuddering now - don't do that becuase you might delte the uninstall files. But my friends. This was war between myself and Symantec. I had to send my troops over the top to make a stand.

I found all sorts of stuff called symantec and I blasted the whole lot to my trash bucket. Good riddance Symantec. Hasta la vista baby. But not so fast. A sqaure appeared on the screen saying something about "Symantec components missing". hMM. Curious. I closed the box. Then five seconds later the box reappeared. This game of close and open symantec box continued for 10 minutes. I couldn't get the box to go. I could only slide it to the side of the screen but it was still there in the way of everything and, for all practical purposes, ruining my computer entirely.

I began to panic. I felt hot anger. These Symantec bastards were ruining my computer! I brought out a new weapon: winpatrol. I went to active tasks and zapped the box off. Then I deleted a few more Symantec files. The box was gone.

I congratulate Symantec for this despicable excuse for software. Up to that point I had been contemptuous towards high school kids learning programming. But thanks to Symantec I have a high opion of these kids' abilities to nwrite software; if I asked a high school kid to write an antivirus program I would use their project instead of anything Norton offers.

Here's a little joke:

High school teacher: Johnny, I can't believe that this is your computer programming term project.
High school kid: Why not?
High school teacher: You have just handed in Norton 2006.
High School Kid: how did you work that out?
High school teacher: Look, Johnny, normally I would slam your butt to the wall for cheating. But I feel sorry for you: even if I allowed you to submit Norton 06 as your assignment you would have to get an E. Since I am sure you can do so much better I will give you two more weeks to write your own anti-virus program.
High school kid: Gee, thanks sir. What do I do with the Norton 06?
High school teacher: Kid, Norton 06 should go to the garbage dump mulcher. Software from hell must be returned to its place of origin.

qpawn
05-02-2006, 01:33 PM
I have found avast to be much better. Indeed, as soon as I installed it it found a virus on my computer that Norton had never picked up.

Avast, in its basic form, is free. If you bang avast into google you will find it. The only thing that the free avast does not do is to protect against certain kinds of worms on internet pages. The updates are much smoother and quicker than the wret weekend updates from Norton.

The only thing to bear in mind with Avast is that if it finds a virus it will quarantine the files and programs that had the virus. This quarantine will only last a few hours. After that the files and programs are useable again.

Alan Shore
05-02-2006, 01:37 PM
Hehe, nice post.

The only Symantec thing I use is script blocking just to stop any dodgy stuff. Otherwise I just use the basic AVG.. not too flash but gets the job done for the most part and sure as hell doesn't chew up the memory.

Davidflude
05-02-2006, 02:29 PM
I have found avast to be much better. Indeed, as soon as I installed it it found a virus on my computer that Norton had never picked up.

Avast, in its basic form, is free. If you bang avast into google you will find it. The only thing that the free avast does not do is to protect against certain kinds of worms on internet pages. The updates are much smoother and quicker than the wret weekend updates from Norton.

The only thing to bear in mind with Avast is that if it finds a virus it will quarantine the files and programs that had the virus. This quarantine will only last a few hours. After that the files and programs are useable again.

I have set up AVG on the Box Hill computers and I like it. I suggest if you want to download it go to a TUCOWS mirror site. They exist in Melbourne and Sydney
as well as elsewhere in Australia. I gave Norton the flick pass long ago. At home I use the Spanish program Panda which has a built in firewall. I am not recommending it but it works well for me. It always seems to be available on special.

Trent Parker
09-02-2006, 02:05 AM
I have AVG on my 'puter

It works very well. Scans every now and again.

Updates almost daily which is very good.

auriga
02-04-2006, 01:51 PM
The award, ladies and gentlemen, is for the worst software of 2006. The design and content must be deplorable and the cost exorbitant.

Uusually, the end of 2006 is the time when this award is given. However, there has arrived such an exceptionally bad piece of software that nothing will surpass it for the year. Hence, contrary to convention, the award goes ...drum roll... to...

NORTON ANTIVIRUS 2006

my nomination for worst s/w award is microsoft onenote.
this is the most useless bit of s/w i've ever seen.
not sure what bill g was thinking for this one.

ElevatorEscapee
02-04-2006, 03:41 PM
my nomination for worst s/w award is microsoft onenote.
this is the most useless bit of s/w i've ever seen.
not sure what bill g was thinking for this one.

Careful mate, we have our own "Bill G" on this site!

I do hope for your sake that he considers your comment as referring to Mr Gates, and doesn't give you a lashing! ;) :D