PDA

View Full Version : If a chess club were like this I'd join

qpawn
04-02-2006, 05:21 PM
I have tried out various chess clubs for over the board chess. Regrettably, I have left them all after a few weeks. My only future in chess playing seems to be by post or internet. As for coaching; I will run the blunder check over my games with Fritz.

I wish a chess club existed that:

[1] offered some genuine coaching or program of improvement for a 1400 [?] tyro like myself.

[2] Played tournaments over a period of time instead of on one night. I can not play well at 9 or 10 PM and I don't know how anyone does. What about the tournament happening over a 3 month period in which players arranged their own games on any night; at least then I could choose a night when I felt a bit rested. And if we have to use an arbiter to help players arrange their game well kiddies, that's what we do. The games would be properly conducted , recorded etc and if it had to be made clear to potential kibitzers that it was a game "for real" then a small sign would suffice lol.That way would also cater for people who couldn't guarantee attendance on a regular basis. Also, someone would be rewarded for their improvement over a length of time as the tournament progressed. I used to play tournament croquet and we played our club championship this way over a whole year - it worked well.

But there is no club that meets thses simple needs. So I struggle on with Fritz and dream about the chess club that could exist for me somewhere over the rainbow. :confused:

Garvinator
04-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Hello,

Do you mind if I ask where you live? We on here might then be able to help you by pointing you in a direction of a club that might be some help to you.

qpawn
04-02-2006, 06:58 PM
I live in Mt Eliza, Victoria.

The nearest clubs are, to my knowledge, Frankston, Mentone and Dandenong but none of them follow either of my needs outlined in the earlier post. When I was at Frankston once they had a "challenge system" that was somewhat like my stated need for player-driven tourneys over a long period; but all their events were the usual date-stamped affairs. I have never been to Dandenong but they appear to be the same. Mentone is quite a nice club with friendly juniors. But when I went there a few years ago I found their premises quite dim. I am not fussy about amenities at a chess club but I like to see the pieces!! It helps!! :)

My dilemma with a club is this: whenever they have a tournament on that I can't enter [in fairness to other playres] because of my unpredictable attendance I am left with nobody to play.

I am not necessarily in need of tourneys per se. I am happy if I am enjoying myself and getting better in friendly games that are treated with some seriousness [ a clock for such games is fine] /. If I found a club and someone rated 2000 or above was prepared to play me regularly and tell me what I was doing wrong I would join. Frankly, players below 2000 ELO usually do not understand chess enough to be able to advise someone with such authority. I know that I risk being called a snob for saying that but that's the way it is. If I have to define a 2000 player it is someone who is beginning to see beyond materialistic bounds. For instance they understand when to shed a pawn for justified positional compensation. They understand when doubled pawns are weak and when they are not etc.

I would even join MCC, in spite of the travel, if I only played on Saturdays and got someone such as the above to play against. Of course here is the vicious circle again; anyone 2000 or above will play in tournaments instead.

I got Fritz 8 about 3 weeks ago and it has changed my chess in ways I never dreamt of. I have never had a tool like it for getting better. I am having unbelievable games against it. The one I played today was a slav QGD that exploded in which we both exchange sacrificed queens for a draw. Anyone who subscribes to the theory that q pawn games are not tactical should see this game and they will rethink. In one game Fritz announced mate in 13 ! :eek:

I am a mature 30 years young maths graduate. I know chess isn't as important as something like that ferry going down in Egypt. But chess is something I enjoy doing. Two weeks ago I got some coaching from Bill Jordan and he showed me so much stuff in my games that I missed! It is incredible what I never saw or understood!

Andrew Thornton

Igor_Goldenberg
05-02-2006, 06:48 PM
I live in Mt Eliza, Victoria.

The nearest clubs are, to my knowledge, Frankston, Mentone and Dandenong but none of them follow either of my needs outlined in the earlier post. When I was at Frankston once they had a "challenge system" that was somewhat like my stated need for player-driven tourneys over a long period; but all their events were the usual date-stamped affairs. I have never been to Dandenong but they appear to be the same. Mentone is quite a nice club with friendly juniors. But when I went there a few years ago I found their premises quite dim. I am not fussy about amenities at a chess club but I like to see the pieces!! It helps!! :)

My dilemma with a club is this: whenever they have a tournament on that I can't enter [in fairness to other playres] because of my unpredictable attendance I am left with nobody to play.

I am not necessarily in need of tourneys per se. I am happy if I am enjoying myself and getting better in friendly games that are treated with some seriousness [ a clock for such games is fine] /. If I found a club and someone rated 2000 or above was prepared to play me regularly and tell me what I was doing wrong I would join. Frankly, players below 2000 ELO usually do not understand chess enough to be able to advise someone with such authority. I know that I risk being called a snob for saying that but that's the way it is. If I have to define a 2000 player it is someone who is beginning to see beyond materialistic bounds. For instance they understand when to shed a pawn for justified positional compensation. They understand when doubled pawns are weak and when they are not etc.

I would even join MCC, in spite of the travel, if I only played on Saturdays and got someone such as the above to play against. Of course here is the vicious circle again; anyone 2000 or above will play in tournaments instead.

I got Fritz 8 about 3 weeks ago and it has changed my chess in ways I never dreamt of. I have never had a tool like it for getting better. I am having unbelievable games against it. The one I played today was a slav QGD that exploded in which we both exchange sacrificed queens for a draw. Anyone who subscribes to the theory that q pawn games are not tactical should see this game and they will rethink. In one game Fritz announced mate in 13 ! :eek:

I am a mature 30 years young maths graduate. I know chess isn't as important as something like that ferry going down in Egypt. But chess is something I enjoy doing. Two weeks ago I got some coaching from Bill Jordan and he showed me so much stuff in my games that I missed! It is incredible what I never saw or understood!

Andrew Thornton

Elwood chess club meets Saturday afternoon and is still reacheable distance. As for coaching with 2000+ players - doubt it's available apart from private lessons.

Mischa
05-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Elwood chess club meets Saturday afternoon and is still reacheable distance. As for coaching with 2000+ players - doubt it's available apart from private lessons.

But we are working on it
We are trying to get together a group of people to meet for coaching / chess talk...
Elwood is a nice "non competitive" environment with a variety of players
At 1400 you will find it a challenge which is all that is good. The players there are always happy to review and give advice ;)

Mischa
05-02-2006, 09:38 PM
But we are working on it
We are trying to get together a group af people to meet for coaching / chess talk...
Elwood is a nice "non comopetetive" environment with a variety of players
At 1400 you will find it a challenge which is all that is good. The players there are always happy to review and give advice ;)

Oh ... While we have tournaments (run over weeks) they are not obligatory and there is always someone to have a casual game with...All the tourny's also have 2 catch up rounds so it is possible to play weekenders elswhere or just be busy at least twice during the tounament
I think we currently have 3 or 4 players over or close to 2000...?

Carl Gorka
05-02-2006, 09:39 PM
The players there are always happy to review and give advice ;)

So are the non players;) :D

Mischa
05-02-2006, 09:41 PM
:)

WhiteElephant
05-02-2006, 10:46 PM
Hi Mischa, it was good to catch up with you at Elwood yesterday - I hadn't seen you in ages! So did you make that T-shirt yourself? :)

Mischa
06-02-2006, 06:54 AM
A friend had it made up for me...cute!

WhiteElephant
06-02-2006, 07:50 AM
Yes!

Sujakobi
07-02-2006, 03:06 PM
I am new to Melbourne and I live in Essendon. Can anybody tell me a chess club I can join with my father who is a 74 year old. He plays chess well.

Igor_Goldenberg
08-02-2006, 01:55 PM
I am new to Melbourne and I live in Essendon. Can anybody tell me a chess club I can join with my father who is a 74 year old. He plays chess well.

try either Melbourne chess club or Hobson Bay club (http://www.hobsonsbaychess.info/about/map.htm)

Dozy
08-02-2006, 06:10 PM
try either Melbourne chess club or Hobson Bay club (http://www.hobsonsbaychess.info/about/map.htm)Thanks for that Igor -- I hadn't heard about Hobsons Bay until you put up the link.

They've got some neat features on their site and I especially liked the Spotlight on Members. It manages to get some of the focus onto the grass roots where we little people live.

But Hobsons Bay is obviously unique in the quality of its players. Most clubs have a titled player or two, but what can you say about any chess organisation that lists Caissa among its members?

Sujakobi
14-02-2006, 02:08 PM
Well, we went to Hobsons Bay and it seemed ok as a chess club but it it is meeting in a gambling establishment.
The Melbourne Chess Club was visited by my father and he said he saw one man solving chess problems and three wathcing television. Nobody wanted to play him. My father was a former Lithuanian Champion so this did not surprise him.
We went to Boh Hill Chess club but were told we would have to pay $30 to get in with no guarentee of a game.
Elwood Chess Club was deserted but for a pair of Russians playing blitz.
All in all we are suprised at the dearth of opportunities for chess players here in Victoria since we have been living overseas (U.S.A)

Susan Jakobi

Alan Shore
14-02-2006, 02:17 PM
We went to Box Hill Chess club but were told we would have to pay $30 to get in with no guarentee of a game.

That's yet another account about Box Hill being a rip-off.. what's the story starter?

Watto
14-02-2006, 02:42 PM
The Melbourne Chess Club was visited by my father and he said he saw one man solving chess problems and three wathcing television. Nobody wanted to play him. My father was a former Lithuanian Champion so this did not surprise him.Susan Jakobi

Hi Susan. Out if interest, what is your father's name?

Surprised about the MCC, there's normally a whole bunch of people playing... unlucky I think.

arosar
14-02-2006, 02:43 PM
I can't imagine chess clubs to be places where you can readily get a game any time of the day. Better to go to your local park.

AR

Igor_Goldenberg
14-02-2006, 03:03 PM
I am a bit surprised about Elwood chess club. When (date and aproximate time) did you visit it?

It starts at 12, but more people usually gather around 1pm. Let me know if you are going to visit next time, I'll try to work it out. There are usually quite a few people there (and those Russians playing blitz aren't that bad!)

ursogr8
14-02-2006, 03:52 PM
That's yet another account about Box Hill being a rip-off.. what's the story starter?

hi BD

I can only surmise what the stories are as I can't recall the face-to-face meetings with fletch nor SK. But I am likely to be a good surmiser given that I am the usual money-collector.

1 Fletch's $15 was probably the VISITORS fee for an event over 7,8 or 9 evenings. That is $2 per night, on top of the tourney entry fee that ALL pay. I think Fletch formed the (incorrect) opinion it was $15 each and every night.

2 SK's experience sounds a little more recent and may well have been last Frdiay night (the first round of the Autumn Cup). I took entries from 35 folk who fronted on the night without early-bird discount. In addition I took conversations with the another 41 who had early-bird registration (many of these returning to the Club (at its new venue) for the first time since December. I signed 8 new members and went through the Guidelines for new members KIT. I took over entering the last 15 names into SP while the Captain addressed the field and explained the new venue, time-controls, etc. (Time-lin 7pm to 8pm)
We started 15 minutes after the scheduled start time.
A number of first-time casuals expected that we catered for casuals. But as you will have seen from our calendar we offer tournament conditions every night we are open; casuals are welcome, but are unlikely to find many/any like-minded at Box Hill.

SK may have been advised that the tourney entry fee for the Autumn Cup was $30, and there is always the chance of an odd number of players in round 1 (ie no guarantee of a game).

Fair enough question by you BD. And I am just guessing.
But 'rip-off' is not the explanation.

regards
starter

Alan Shore
14-02-2006, 06:28 PM
OK, so it's only $2/night visiting fee then? See, if I'm ever in Melbourne I'd like to come say hi but $15 seemed excessive for casual play.

Spiny Norman
15-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Well, we went to Hobsons Bay and it seemed ok as a chess club but it it is meeting in a gambling establishment.
The Melbourne Chess Club was visited by my father and he said he saw one man solving chess problems and three wathcing television. Nobody wanted to play him. My father was a former Lithuanian Champion so this did not surprise him.
We went to Boh Hill Chess club but were told we would have to pay $30 to get in with no guarentee of a game.
All in all we are suprised at the dearth of opportunities for chess players here in Victoria since we have been living overseas (U.S.A)
Hi Susan,

Its a long way from Essendon ... but if you are keen for a game, you would be most welcome at Croydon Chess Club tomorrow night (Thursday, 15th Feb). We have a 1-night 5-round Allegro scheduled (15 mins/game, no increment).

First-time visitors are always free of charge. Subsequent visits $2/night. Our tournaments are for members only ... membership is $50/year ... each rated tournament is just $10 (covers rating fees and trophies) ... we don't offer cash prizes, which is something that highly-rated players might not find attractive, as they use their winnings to offset the membership and entry fees.

Details of the club: www.croydonchess.com

If your father is looking for a quiet and friendly, not-too-highly-competitive environment from time to time, Croydon fits that bill. Box Hill has an excellent range of competitions and a much stronger core group of players to compete with ... so if strength of competition is more important they (or MCC) would fit the bill.

arosar
15-02-2006, 10:58 AM
Hey Mr Frost, should you not inform Susan that your club is affiliated with a religious organisation?

AR

Spiny Norman
15-02-2006, 11:01 AM
Hey Mr Frost, should you not inform Susan that your club is affiliated with a religious organisation?
Don't go spreading nonsense Arosar ... you are just being malicious.

Mischa
15-02-2006, 01:02 PM

Susan Jakobi

What time did you visit the Elwood Chess club??
We have had some great players in a tourny lately...and last week our visitors included Hendrik Talbert (apologies for spelling)
David Hacche
Carl Ghorka
Michael Baron
The week before included Igor Goldenberg, so you must have visited before 12.45...try us again!

qpawn
15-02-2006, 01:24 PM
Though Elwood is a bit far away for me I am prepared to go along if I can get someone to play on a Saturday.

I am not in the same standard of play as someone like Igor Goldenberg and probably never will be; I was 1400 before I got Fritz 8 but am improving so quickly from its use that God knows what I will be at by the end of this year. I expect that if I played Igor or any of those other strong players mentioned I would lose; but that's fine as long as I learn something from the game.

I sent an email to the person in charge of Elwood. He hasn't replied to my query yet and I hope that the email is still current.

Igor_Goldenberg
15-02-2006, 03:51 PM
I am not sure where you got the email, but I doubt it's current, as there are changes on the commitee happening at the moment. You can PM me and I'll forward it to the club president (or might even be able to answer some questions:) )

qpawn
15-02-2006, 03:55 PM
Ok. I am sending the PM now :)

Sujakobi
16-02-2006, 03:05 PM
:eh: I must say each Chess Club website is of a high standard as good as any district website in the world. Each Chess Club has its positives Melbourne=History, Elwood=players from Eastern Europe, Box Hill= Childrens program We went all the way to Dandenong yesterday and there are players from Croatia, Bosnia Herzogovina and Serbian players all getting along and having fun. I think all of the Chess Clubs in the state should unite and form a chess network of some description.

Igor_Goldenberg
16-02-2006, 03:17 PM
:eh: I must say each Chess Club website is of a high standard as good as any district website in the world. Each Chess Club has its positives Melbourne=History, Elwood=players from Eastern Europe, Box Hill= Childrens program We went all the way to Dandenong yesterday and there are players from Croatia, Bosnia Herzogovina and Serbian players all getting along and having fun. I think all of the Chess Clubs in the state should unite and form a chess network of some description.

It is called Chess Victoria (formerly known as Victoria Chess Association)

Sujakobi
16-02-2006, 03:23 PM
Is it possible to go there? Chess Victoria has a central office? Where?

Mischa
16-02-2006, 03:41 PM
) QUOTE=Sujakobi]Is it possible to go there? Chess Victoria has a central office? Where?[/QUOTE]

:eek:

Sujakobi
16-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Did I say something wrong? I know Chess Victoria is following the Box Hill trend and holding its meetings in a crypt or Dracula's castle. Just Joking.
Oh well back to work:(

Mischa
16-02-2006, 04:49 PM
Did I say something wrong? I know Chess Victoria is following the Box Hill trend and holding its meetings in a crypt or Dracula's castle. Just Joking.
Oh well back to work:(

Actually you said nothing wrong...but what a novel idea...;)

ElevatorEscapee
16-02-2006, 09:33 PM
*Mental pic of GW with fangs and wearing a cape! :lol:

Bereaved
17-02-2006, 01:33 AM

Hi, Sujakobi

I was playing at Dandenong on Wednesday; what time did you arrive? Did you see the club prior to the start of play or whilst the tournament was in progress?? ( rounds start at 7.30 pm )

If you come out again, please say hello; I am the younger man with a ponytail and glasses.

I am also active at Melbourne on Mondays which is our Tournament night; I have a feeling that your father may get a better feel for the club on such a night.

Finally, if you wanted to make contact with some Lithuanian chess players here, I know some of them and can put you in contact with them. You can send me a PM ( private message ) through this site, or email me at dexter@labyrinth.net.au to contact me at home.

Hope you can find what you are looking for at a chess club somewhere,

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

qpawn
17-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Tomorrow I am going to play friendly games at Elwood.

So if anyone wants to know who qpawn is [beyond me why you would want to know...] then that's where I am. :D

ursogr8
17-02-2006, 07:44 PM

BD

OK. Hold the phone.
Second response now that I know more.

Apparently Susan rang Box Hill and was told
A. Yes...a tourney starts (as then) next week, and the entry fee is $30,
or
B. You can come as a casual, but there is no guarantee of a game (see my previous post about the lack of casuals at BHCC).

If we surmise that Susan missed the or then we can understand her post.

> mac

No hydra.

regards
starter

Mischa
17-02-2006, 08:34 PM
Tomorrow I am going to play friendly games at Elwood.

So if anyone wants to know who qpawn is [beyond me why you would want to know...] then that's where I am. :D

Hey I think I already know who you are...:)
I won't be there this week but will be here the week after...tourny commitments!
I hope they will look after you at Elwood in my absence
Cheers,
Rowena

qpawn
18-02-2006, 06:33 PM
I had good friendly games against Tony and Yuri! I was that guy with the coke-bottle eyeglasses :D

Sujakobi
21-02-2006, 04:15 PM
My father likes going to the Elwood Chess Club because he said there is hardly anybody there to annoy him. I played chess as a child so I know how he feels. The "perfect chess club" is a myth. You have to put up with inflated egos wherever you go.:wall:

firegoat7
21-02-2006, 04:43 PM
My father likes going to the Elwood Chess Club because he said there is hardly anybody there to annoy him.

Who is your father?

cheers Fg7

qpawn
21-02-2006, 05:27 PM
I would like to know too! You said that your father was a chess champion of Lithuania! In that case I will see if I can find any of his games! :D

Seriously, that's pretty good if he won the Lithuanian title.

qpawn
21-02-2006, 05:31 PM
If someone has a sizeable ego about their chess abilities that doesn't worry me a lot. I have had smoke blown in my face by spectators [Bayside], and been sworn at [Bayside and Frankston]. So, I don't expect or need chess utopia; I just want to be seen as a normal player who is there to enjoy it and do the best that i can. :cool:

ElevatorEscapee
21-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Some people may have "Inflated" chess girlfriends too! ;) :P

Garvinator
21-02-2006, 08:58 PM
I would like to know too! You said that your father was a chess champion of Lithuania! In that case I will see if I can find any of his games! :D

Seriously, that's pretty good if he won the Lithuanian title.
but that chess champion could be like the chess champion of jamaica or some of the other champion claims in this boards history:doh:

Igor_Goldenberg
22-02-2006, 08:57 AM
but that chess champion could be like the chess champion of jamaica or some of the other champion claims in this boards history:doh:

The style of the post suggests that Sujakobi is Alexander Malejewicz

PHAT
22-02-2006, 10:30 AM
The style of the post suggests that Sujakobi is Alexander Malejewicz

Sujakobi is not Alexander Malejewicz. A Russian would not be slagging off Russians.

Perhaps the BB wads could check the IP adresses - after all they are into spying on people and invading their privacy. The least they could do is to use their powers to publically clear people.

Igor_Goldenberg
22-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Sujacobi in one of the post call her(him)self Susane Jacobi. Mentioning of the club (s)he supposedly visited without anyone saying of talking to her or seening her makes me a bit suspicious.

I will gladly retract my statement and issue an apology when I see her or her father in Elwood chess club or someone I trust will report meeting one of then in another club.

Mischa
22-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Alex informs me that it is NOT him

WhiteElephant
22-02-2006, 11:58 AM

Alex tells me that too. Let's see if Susan appears again to set things straight.

Igor_Goldenberg
22-02-2006, 01:01 PM

He sent me an email shortly after my post saying it's not him. However, given the history of Alex posting under false name(and surprisenly quick response), it is not sufficient to convince me.

As said before, I will retract my statement (or, should I say, suspicion?) and issue an apology to Susan Jacobi, her father and Alexander Malejewicz if proven otherwise.

qpawn
22-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Imagine the chess champions who could make a claim to fame:

Chess champion of Antarctica - beat two research scientists on the plane :D

Chess champion of Greenland - beat three eskimoes :D

Chess champion of the moon - beat another astronaut upon landing. Now, why didn't they do THAT instead of hitting a silly golf ball? :D

If one is intrepid and resourceful the possibilty of being a chess champion is still out there :)

Sujakobi
22-02-2006, 02:07 PM
My father was the chess champion of Lithuania in the 1950's. He is old now but would still like to play occasionally. He didn't play for 30 years!

Sujakobi
22-02-2006, 02:11 PM
Our family left Australia in 1974 because your Prime Minister Whitlam signed a treaty with the Soviet Union to recognise the Baltic States as legitimate territory held by the communist government. Many Lithuanians still have a bad taste in their mouth about being annexed.

Sujakobi
22-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Whover ggraygray is, you have little idea of how people suffered under the Soviet Union. You think it's just a little historical byline. I pity you, I really do.

Igor_Goldenberg
22-02-2006, 04:11 PM
Whover ggraygray is, you have little idea of how people suffered under the Soviet Union. You think it's just a little historical byline. I pity you, I really do.

Did you, Sujakobi, have a first hand experience suffering under the Soviet union?

In any case this thread is about chess clubs.

BTW, I do not remember anyone in Elwood chess club who would fit a description of "Lithuanian champion in 50s"

Kevin Bonham
22-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Perhaps the BB wads could check the IP adresses - [remaining drivel deleted]

Sujakobi has posted from two IP addresses neither of which have any known connection with Malejewicz or with any of the post-Malejewicz banned troll account cluster.

Sujakobi
23-02-2006, 02:07 PM
Igor, My fathers parents were shot in front of him. They were accused of being collaboraters with the Nazi's. They were not. They were shot by people who spoke Russian. I understand if my father does not want to to play at your club. I asked my father if he met you and he said someone told him that you hardly ever came to the Elwood Chess Club. When did you start coming?

Sujakobi
24-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Well Igor? Were you at the Elwood Chess Club last week? Did you meet my father?;)

Sujakobi
01-03-2006, 02:16 PM
You have replied to this post Igor. Are you one of those boring people who because you have a high chess rating you expect people to worship at the altar of

IGOR GOLDENBERG CHESS MASTER <<<<big deal!

Sujakobi
01-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Relax Igor, If you were away from the Elwood Chess Club when my father came (briefly) that doesn't mean he doesn't exist does it?
Promise you will apologize to me when I see you at the Begonia Chess Tournament:)

Igor_Goldenberg
02-03-2006, 08:39 AM
I did visit Elwood chess club on Saturday (albeit briefly) and did not meet "your father".

If you want to refute allegation (quite justified IMHO) of misrepresenting yourself, you have few options.

The simplest:

1st - Visit Elwood Chess Club this Saturday and introduce yourself. I will post on this forum immediately. If I am not present, you can introduce yourself to club members who will let me.

2nd - Visit another club, introduce yourself and have someone contact me. I will post about it on this forum as well.

I know most of Victorian chess players and beleive most of them know me as well.

3rd - I am not playing in Ballarat, but if you enter the tournament under your name, it will be in the list of players

Until then I will not waste my time and enter into any discussions with you.

Sujakobi
02-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Igor, MY FATHER came to Elwood and you were playing in a tournament at the time. I won't be playing at the Begonia tournament but I will be spectating. It is almost impossible for me to recognize anyone on the BB because nearly everyone posts anonomously.
This Saturday I will be busy perhaps next Saturday I will attempt to come to the Elwood Chess Club.
I don't care whether you talk to me or not to be frank and I'm not going there because of you either. I've heard its a good chess club with interesting people.

qpawn
02-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Elwood must be an interesting club. I know because I go there :D

Lucena
02-03-2006, 08:28 PM
It is almost impossible for me to recognize anyone on the BB because nearly everyone posts anonomously.

No worries! Just look for the guy wearing a fox hat:idea:.

Carl Gorka
03-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Elwood must be an interesting club. I know because I go there :D

Elwood is interesting....it is the only chess club in Victoria (to my knowledge) with a professional fire eater among its players:cool:

qpawn
03-03-2006, 10:55 AM
In all seriousness, I have been to a lot of chess clubs that say that they are interested in beginners learning the game. Elwood is the only one that I have seen that, based on the few weeks I have been there, is trying to teach beginners stuff; Tony was showing a beginner about the centre, development etc. Quite good for him to do so amidst the playing and officiating duties he is busy with!

Sujakobi
03-03-2006, 11:15 AM
This is why I want to go there! My father doesn't, but I do!

Sujakobi
03-03-2006, 11:19 AM
GarethCharles, Russians wear hats made of sable don't they? Not fox.
(Oops am I trolling? Seems like whenever I correct someone I get accused of "trolling". I don't mean to, sorry if it comes across that way)
Sable was a valued commodity in northern Europe. Lithuanians call it "Furry Gold"

WhiteElephant
03-03-2006, 01:07 PM
In all seriousness, I have been to a lot of chess clubs that say that they are interested in beginners learning the game. Elwood is the only one that I have seen that, based on the few weeks I have been there, is trying to teach beginners stuff; Tony was showing a beginner about the centre, development etc. Quite good for him to do so amidst the playing and officiating duties he is busy with!

Tony is unique. He has been doing that (helping juniors and beginners improve their chess) for the past 20 years that I've kown him. And not because he is making money out of it but because he enjoys it.

PHAT
03-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Russians wear hats made of sable don't they? Not fox.

:lol: A hint: GC is making an obscure reference to an obscure comedy skit, where someone is wanting to know where something is. ;)

UELleida
16-03-2006, 05:19 PM
Relax Igor, If you were away from the Elwood Chess Club when my father came (briefly) that doesn't mean he doesn't exist does it?
Promise you will apologize to me when I see you at the Begonia Chess Tournament:)

So how was the tournament? Did you and Igor shake and make up?

McTaggart
20-03-2006, 06:57 PM
So how was the tournament? Did you and Igor shake and make up?
No. Alex "forgot " to turn up. ditto for his alleged "father".

Question for Alex. Which political person has the highest chess rating? (Hint; he is Lithuanien)

Duff McKagan
28-03-2006, 02:39 PM
No. Alex "forgot " to turn up. ditto for his alleged "father".

Question for Alex. Which political person has the highest chess rating? (Hint; he is Lithuanien)

Have you met Alex in person? :)

Tomas Kessler
28-03-2006, 04:19 PM
I believe this Alex you talk about was there but just not playing. His father has been dead for nearly 20 years and he is not Lithuanian either.
HE IS RUSSIAN!

antichrist
28-03-2006, 05:21 PM
This thread sounds a bit like that John Cleese episode about the dead parrot.

Tomas Kessler
28-03-2006, 05:50 PM
You can't tell some people, Honestly! On top of that I have been informed that Alex is a member of the Elwood Chess Club anyway and no he is not the treasurer either.
Good Chess Club Elwood, actually.

Tomas Kessler
19-04-2006, 12:09 AM
I am friends with a few people at the Elwood Chess Club and I have noticed that the members did very well at the Doeberl Cup! Anthony Wright was correct that they are the strongest club in the state!
What they lack in quantity they lack in quality!
"Russian Bear" Goldenberg included. Don't get a big head though Igor! I don't care if you look like Jerry Garcia YOU CANNOT PLAY GUITAR!!!!

Tomas Kessler
19-04-2006, 12:11 AM
Made a mistake Sorry!
What they lack in Quantity they make up for in Quality!

Alan Shore
19-04-2006, 12:21 AM
I am friends with a few people at the Elwood Chess Club and I have noticed that the members did very well at the Doeberl Cup! Anthony Wright was correct that they are the strongest club in the state!
What they lack in quantity they lack in quality!
"Russian Bear" Goldenberg included. Don't get a big head though Igor! I don't care if you look like Jerry Garcia YOU CANNOT PLAY GUITAR!!!!

No relation to Russianbear on fics right?

Tomas Kessler
19-04-2006, 12:29 AM
Err No! You know Jerry Garcia "died" but I went to Elwood at the invitation of a friend and I could have sworn Goldenberg was Jerry Garcia's clone!

Igor_Goldenberg
19-04-2006, 12:33 AM
No relation to Russianbear on fics right?

No, I have a habit of using my name instead of nick:) And I don't like bears

Tomas Kessler
19-04-2006, 12:39 AM
I like bears! I saw a bear when I was in Russia on a business trip. Graceful yet big, calm and serene. Old Russian folk story about two bear brothers and a fox with cheese is my favourite story. I think they knocked it off from a German story though.

Alan Shore
19-04-2006, 12:45 AM
I like bears! I saw a bear when I was in Russia on a business trip. Graceful yet big, calm and serene. Old Russian folk story about two bear brothers and a fox with cheese is my favourite story. I think they knocked it off from a German story though.

http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/14824/14824_1129015505_medium.jpg

Tomas Kessler
19-04-2006, 12:54 AM
I see you have posted precisely the bear I was talking about!