PDA

View Full Version : Question For Bill

bobby1972
02-02-2006, 12:22 PM
could you please tell me say if someone has a rating and plays an unrated player who is in the master list as "NEW" does it effect his rating thanks.

Bill Gletsos
02-02-2006, 12:47 PM
could you please tell me say if someone has a rating and plays an unrated player who is in the master list as "NEW" does it effect his rating thanks.Check my previous answer regarding unrated players in thread http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=1554

I should add that it isnt if the player is listed as Unr or NEW on the current list but if they are listed that way on the list in which they played the rated player that matters. If they are listed as Unr or NEW in that list then they were still unrated at the end of the new period and hence had no effect on the rated player.

bobby1972
02-02-2006, 01:08 PM
hey thanks a lot

Ayuna
02-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Player in Australia care more for rating than learning from defeat.

bobby1972
02-02-2006, 01:43 PM
ayuna did "confucius say" that one

Bill Gletsos
02-02-2006, 01:51 PM
bill i sent you private messageI replied.

Ayuna
02-02-2006, 01:57 PM
I visit chess club in Ukraina and nobody care about rating. In Australia everyone talk too much about rating. People should respect opponent who is better learn from defeat. Maybe this is why Russian and Ukrainian player better than Australian player we do not care about rating. I have friend in Ukraina who is woman grandmaster she do not know her rating. I dont know my rating

pax
02-02-2006, 02:18 PM
Maybe this is why Russian and Ukrainian player better than Australian player we do not care about rating.

Maybe there are about a hundred stronger reasons.

Thunderspirit
03-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Player in Australia care more for rating than learning from defeat.

A very true statement.

Rincewind
04-02-2006, 08:57 AM
A very true statement.

No it isn't. It's a completely crappy gross generalisation.

arosar
04-02-2006, 05:38 PM
Hey Bill, can you pls help me with something? I just received a copy of the Qtown FIDE report. It says I got a block. What does it mean?

AR

Bill Gletsos
04-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Hey Bill, can you pls help me with something? I just received a copy of the Qtown FIDE report. It says I got a block. What does it mean?I'll leave that for the ACF FIDE Ratings Officer to answer.

Vlad
05-02-2006, 08:07 AM
Hey Bill, can you pls help me with something? I just received a copy of the Qtown FIDE report. It says I got a block. What does it mean?

AR

To get a FIDE rating u need to play 9 games with FIDE rated opponents. That can only be done in blocks. A block should contain at least (if I am not mistaken :)) 4 games. Say, if you played only 2 FIDE rated games in Queenstown, they would not count.

eclectic
05-02-2006, 08:22 AM
To get a FIDE rating u need to play 9 games with FIDE rated opponents. That can only be done in blocks. A block should contain at least (if I am not mistaken :)) 4 games. Say, if you played only 2 FIDE rated games in Queenstown, they would not count.

i think greg has already mentioned somewhere that a block is 3 consecutive games in a tournament against fide opponents

but then again my memory might be playing tricks on me

Rhubarb
05-02-2006, 01:35 PM
i think greg has already mentioned somewhere that a block is 3 consecutive games in a tournament against fide opponents
Yes, as I mentioned here (http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=79335&postcount=3), it is 3 games and has been for some time, although there is no need for the games to be consecutive within the tournament. Also, after the first block, a player has 7 more lists (i.e. 2 years in total) to get 9 games.

Of course, Amiel was just shit-stirring in the first place, which seemed to escape drug's attention.

The_Wise_Man
05-02-2006, 09:22 PM
Greg is it 2 years from the date of the tournament or the rating list that it is included...

If your block expires, does it mean that the second block becomes the 1st block with the two years from that date.

Wise

Vlad
05-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Greg is it 2 years from the date of the tournament or the rating list that it is included...

If your block expires, does it mean that the second block becomes the 1st block with the two years from that date.

Wise

It sounds like a good strategy to get the first block and not play for 2 years if it is not good enough.:)

Rhubarb
05-02-2006, 10:28 PM
Greg is it 2 years from the date of the tournament or the rating list that it is included... It's the whole lot within 2 years (8 rating lists).

9.14c The condition of 9 games need not be met in one tournament: results from other events, played within the same or next 7 rating periods, are pooled to obtain the initial rating.

For example, if you played only in the Doeberl Cup for 3 years in a row and gained a 3-game block each time, your first block would have expired by the time your third block got rated.

If your block expires, does it mean that the second block becomes the 1st block.Right.

arosar
05-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Aahh...OK then. So this leaves me with only one choice. I have to play in the premiere section of Doeberl this year to complete my second block. There is no other opportunity, I think.

AR

Bill Gletsos
05-02-2006, 11:05 PM
Aahh...OK then. So this leaves me with only one choice. I have to play in the premiere section of Doeberl this year to complete my second block. There is no other opportunity, I think.The Open Division of the City of Sydney and the Open Division of NSW Open will be FIDE rated so you could get blocks from them.

bobby1972
21-02-2006, 09:27 AM
bill could you please tell me if the fitzroy open and the recent drouin open will be included in this rating list please,
thanks
A.Pecori

Bill Gletsos
21-02-2006, 02:34 PM
bill could you please tell me if the fitzroy open and the recent drouin open will be included in this rating list please,
thanks
A.PecoriI have received the Fitzroy Open Groups A & B from last December.

So far I have not yet received the Drouin Open from the CV Ratings Officer.

bobby1972
21-02-2006, 02:51 PM
thanks.

Bill Gletsos
21-02-2006, 03:51 PM
thanks.I can confirm that the Drouin Open has been received by the CV Ratings Officer.

bobby1972
04-05-2006, 02:23 PM
if a new player say has played in 2 turneys and has 13 games against rated players how does one rate him is it his performance rating and how does one work out performance rating thanks.i normaly play well below or well above my rating depending on caisa so i would really like to know performance rating.

Garvinator
23-05-2006, 12:36 AM
Hello Bill,

When will you be doing the update for tournaments received for the June quarter, if at all? Would like to see :)

Vlad
20-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Hi Bill,

You probably answered this question somewhere, but after searching for a while I could not find the answer. My understanding is that if the tournament started before the time when new ratings are published it will be rated using old ratings. I just want to clarify how exactly it is done.

Let us say the old rating is X and the new rating is Y. Do you calculate the next rating (after Y) for a tournament that started before Y is published using X and then add the difference Y-X? What about the tournaments that start after Y is published? You somehow do calculations with 2 different ratings, right? Barry's calculator does not seem to allow anything of this sort.

If the diffence between X and Y is smal it is obviously does not matter. However when the difference is more than 300 points is it possible to overshoot? Say your rating is 1000 and you played enough games in a period to get you to 1400. You also started a few tournaments before the new rating of 1400 got published. Now if the tournaments are rated using your old rating you can gain say another 150 points. If it is added to 1400 it may give the rating which is higher than your actual strength.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Gletsos
20-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Hi Bill,

You probably answered this question somewhere, but after searching for a while I could not find the answer. My understanding is that if the tournament started before the time when new ratings are published it will be rated using old ratings. I just want to clarify how exactly it is done.

Let us say the old rating is X and the new rating is Y. Do you calculate the next rating (after Y) for a tournament that started before Y is published using X and then add the difference Y-X? What about the tournaments that start after Y is published? You somehow do calculations with 2 different ratings, right? Barry's calculator does not seem to allow anything of this sort.

If the diffence between X and Y is smal it is obviously does not matter. However when the difference is more than 300 points is it possible to overshoot? Say your rating is 1000 and you played enough games in a period to get you to 1400. You also started a few tournaments before the new rating of 1400 got published. Now if the tournaments are rated using your old rating you can gain say another 150 points. If it is added to 1400 it may give the rating which is higher than your actual strength.

Thanks in advance.In Australia the ratings have always been calculated based on the players rating at the start of the rating period in which the event is rated and not based on the ratings at the time the event started.

Vlad
20-03-2008, 11:16 AM
So, I understand you are saying that for tournaments that started before new ratings are published, one needs to update ratings before making calculations.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I thought I was loosing points by drawing Max but apparently I was gaining them.:)

antichrist
31-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
Suggesting that a player who achieves a 2400 rating will eventually drop below 1400 under the FIDE system just isnt going to happen.

Could it happen under the system you introduced here? I even forget what it is called. Glicko is it?

CameronD
31-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
Suggesting that a player who achieves a 2400 rating will eventually drop below 1400 under the FIDE system just isnt going to happen.

well, a player could have been a master, but then had a car crash and suffered some brain damage, diminishing their playing ability substantially.

Spiny Norman
31-01-2009, 04:49 PM
heh heh ... I've run into a few chess players who seem to demonstrate significant brain dysfunction ... but I'm pretty sure its genetic or perhaps chemical, not the result of a car crash.

Desmond
31-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Bill was talking about the k factor for FIDE ratings, so I'm not sure what ACF ratings, whether calculated by Glicko or not, have to do with anything.

Kevin Bonham
31-01-2009, 06:42 PM
It's extremely unlikely anyone who ever got a 2400 rating would drop to below 1400 strength, but if their playing strength did drop that low then Glicko would get them to the appropriate rating a lot faster than ELO would.

Denis_Jessop
31-01-2009, 08:20 PM
well, a player could have been a master, but then had a car crash and suffered some brain damage, diminishing their playing ability substantially.

Some people will think of anything to try to justify an argument. The chances of that happening are about the same as 1400 player like Alex ******* being struck by lightning and suddenly playing at 2400 standard :D .

DJ

antichrist
01-02-2009, 03:28 PM
It's extremely unlikely anyone who ever got a 2400 rating would drop to below 1400 strength, but if their playing strength did drop that low then Glicko would get them to the appropriate rating a lot faster than ELO would.

aren't you off topic coz was question for Bill??? And the rest of you also. I would have let in orig thread if I knew you would answer.

That is twice in one day you slipped in it - see chess whatever thread about pawn promotion leading to stalemate

Kevin Bonham
01-02-2009, 04:22 PM
aren't you off topic coz was question for Bill??? And the rest of you also.

When a question is asked of a particular poster anyone can answer it. That is well established here. If you only wanted a specific poster to answer a question you could have PMd it, after all.

That is twice in one day you slipped in it - see chess whatever thread about pawn promotion leading to stalemate

No, that is twice in one day you have been a tryhard with tickets on yourself. :hand: In this case, probably because I have spoilt your lame attempt to use the question to bait Bill, who obviously had better things to do than answer it at the time.

ElevatorEscapee
02-02-2009, 06:25 PM
....In this case, probably because I have spoilt your lame attempt to use the question to bait Bill, who obviously had better things to do than answer it at the time.

Good for Bill! He deserves to have better things to do with his time than to respond to baited questions on websites. Perhaps he has found romance? If so, I am happy for him. :)

antichrist
02-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Good for Bill! He deserves to have better things to do with his time than to respond to baited questions on websites. Perhaps he has found romance? If so, I am happy for him. :)

But if he loses a fortune at it how would and him rate it

ElevatorEscapee
02-02-2009, 06:30 PM
^^^ It is better to have loved & lost, than never to have loved at all! :P

ER
19-03-2009, 01:39 AM
Hi Bill
As it usually happens a new rating period falls during tournaments taking place at the time.
Are the adjustments (opponents average etc) in the end of the tournament calculated on the old or the new ratings list basis?

eclectic
19-03-2009, 01:58 AM
calculations are based on the ratings in effect when the tournament started

ER
19-03-2009, 02:06 AM
thanks Eclecticus! :) everpresent as usual I see!

eclectic
19-03-2009, 02:19 AM
thanks Eclecticus! :) everpresent as usual I see!

i plead insomnia :hand:

ER
19-03-2009, 02:24 AM
i plead insomnia :hand:
Same here, but:hand: :hand: it doesn't work, I am half asleep! :P

Bill Gletsos
19-03-2009, 08:39 AM
calculations are based on the ratings in effect when the tournament startedPerhaps you are thinking about FIDE ratings, not ACF ratings.

As I mentioned in post #28 in this thread.

In Australia the ratings have always been calculated based on the players rating at the start of the rating period in which the event is rated and not based on the ratings at the time the event started.

ER
19-03-2009, 09:10 AM
A very happy customer here, :) I learnt two things (ACF and FIDE temporal effect of rating calculations) for the price of one! Thanks Bill!

eclectic
03-04-2009, 12:49 PM
it is very likely :pray: that david smerdon will reach 2500 mark at the forthcoming doeberl

if one adds the ratings change from each game he plays until they total 11 such that when you add that total to his present rating of 2489 he reaches 2500 does he at that moment (during the tournament) officially become a grandmaster?

Ian Rout
03-04-2009, 12:58 PM
it is very likely :pray: that david smerdon will reach 2500 mark at the forthcoming doeberl

if one adds the ratings change from each game he plays until they total 11 such that when you add that total to his present rating of 2489 he reaches 2500 does he at that moment (during the tournament) officially become a grandmaster?
No, it has to be confirmed by FIDE.

http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook?id=62&view=article

However if there is any point where his net change is +11, even if it drops back after the next round, confirmation should be just a formality.

Narelle
04-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi Bill

I probably should've started a new thread with this inquiry but I didn't know how to.
I played no games in the March list and won't have played any in the June list either.I'm planning to play in the Noble Park Open and possibly some other tournaments which will be rated on the September list.I'm just wondering what my K factor will be after 2 lists without playing any games.In 2008 I was a very active player and I'm assuming my K factor on the December 2008 list was 20 as I calculated my rating changes throughout 2008 using a K factor of 20 and my predictions were always very close to what my rating became.

Bill Gletsos
04-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Hi Bill

I probably should've started a new thread with this inquiry but I didn't know how to.
I played no games in the March list and won't have played any in the June list either.I'm planning to play in the Noble Park Open and possibly some other tournaments which will be rated on the September list.I'm just wondering what my K factor will be after 2 lists without playing any games.In 2008 I was a very active player and I'm assuming my K factor on the December 2008 list was 20 as I calculated my rating changes throughout 2008 using a K factor of 20 and my predictions were always very close to what my rating became.Glicko does not have K-factors per se.
If it did then by the September list yours would be around 30.

Narelle
04-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Thanks Bill