PDA

View Full Version : gambling on chess

chesslover
07-02-2004, 08:55 PM
Australia is one of the most "gambling" nations on earth per capita. It is stated that we will bet on almost anything - including cockroach racing!!

Given that why dont we have gamble on chess results? seriously. There are bookies that will take bets on anything (Elvis sighting, Howard winning the elections etc etc) so a market for getting odds on who will win the grand prix, the ACCC, Olympiad selection can be promoted with a bookmaker, and put on the ACF website

Lawn Bowls is now available for gambling, as are individual based sports like tennis and golf. Thus match fixing allegations which are a primary worry, also exists in these sports

I think that will lead to more popularity for chess, as people gamble on who will win the chess tournament, and also the ACF or the state chess body may be abe to get a proportion of the gambling revenue on chess.

Kevin Bonham
07-02-2004, 09:13 PM
I don't mind independent commercial interests gambling on chess but would be very concerned about ACF involvement at an official level given how easily fixed a game of chess is.

Also the ACF code of conduct should be taken into account - bans betting on events you are involved in.

ursogr8
07-02-2004, 09:30 PM
I don't mind independent commercial interests gambling on chess but would be very concerned about ACF involvement at an official level given how easily fixed a game of chess is.

Also the ACF code of conduct should be taken into account - bans betting on events you are involved in.

hi Kevin

Incidentally, where do we read the 'ACF code of conduct'?

starter

chesslover
07-02-2004, 09:50 PM

But in games like Rugby league, the governing body gives support for our footytab, and gives points starts to help punters make their decision on which side to bet

This is the same in the American football, basketball etc as well. If it is okay for these sporting bodies, why is it not okay for the ACF?

Also remember all chess games are recorded, so a person can go over the moves to see where there are suspicious mistakes. And other games where there is established betting like tennis and golf are more easy to be fixed than chess

Garvinator
07-02-2004, 09:58 PM
But in games like Rugby league, the governing body gives support for our footytab, and gives points starts to help punters make their decision on which side to bet

This is the same in the American football, basketball etc as well. If it is okay for these sporting bodies, why is it not okay for the ACF?

Also remember all chess games are recorded, so a person can go over the moves to see where there are suspicious mistakes. And other games where there is established betting like tennis and golf are more easy to be fixed than chess
cl, in those sports you mention, the players are earning big dollars in the 100,000 range and also some are team sports.

In chess, our players dont make much money, so they could be easily paid a few dollars to throw a game in the middle of the field.

In swisses like the australian championships,it would have been very easy for a player in the middle of the field to accept a few dollars to play one blunder and lose and no one would have thought much about it after the tourney is over.

JGB
07-02-2004, 10:08 PM
I completly dissagree with betting on chess.

The amount of money injected into spectator sports is not comparable with the minimal funds recievd by any chess federation. What that means is that the amount in a single bet may be able to greatly affect the result of chess game, if the players are that way inclined. For example in a sports match (cricket, rugby, baseball, it doesnt matter) there is of course much betting taking place but for both sides, and a single bet of say $20,000 may on occasion take place in Australia. This amount would not be likely able to pesuade a full team (which includes many members, players etc) to forefit as the amount lost in the long run would outweight any short term profits.

The opposite could take place in chess match where a similar amount of cash would really make some players think about giving away a few games.

...Anyway look what happened to the Kasparov chess site when players started putting money into games... my then favourite chess site (after this one of course) lasted but a few months.

I like the idea that they have here in Germany, that Chess is a Think sport, thay have a word for it... denksport. Solves all that crap about is Chess a sport? ... Yeah a mind game and thats it! We have our own Olympics too!

James.

PHAT
07-02-2004, 11:58 PM
Individual games - and boxing matches - are too easy to rig. However, There would have to be some extraordinary collusion to rig the winner of the Australian Championship. Betting on that before it has started should be pretty safe.

chesslover
08-02-2004, 06:49 PM
Individual games - and boxing matches - are too easy to rig. However, There would have to be some extraordinary collusion to rig the winner of the Australian Championship. Betting on that before it has started should be pretty safe.

yes, true

and remeber that ALL the popular football codes have established betting amrkets, and in the US, American football and basketball have whole shows deveoted to betting, which then genertaes interest in the games by the fans and demand for broadcasters

If chess had betting by sportstab, or one of the NT bookies, then there will be interest in chess results by the broader public I think