PDA

View Full Version : Magazines

Davidflude
20-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Reading chess magazines can improve your chess. Chessmail has just ceased publication. I subscribed to this magazine and am now thinking of replacing it with some other subscription. This opens up the question of which magazine to subscribe to.

Currently I subscribe to

Australian Chess - I hope that everybody subscribes to this.

Australian Chess Quarterly. The journal of the Correspondence Chess League of Australia. If you are a member the magazine is included. To me it is usefull.

Kaissiber - expensive, infrequent, irregular, In German but absolutely brilliant.

I used to subscribe to "New in Chess" which again is expensive but very good. I am tempted to start subscribing again.

What are other people's thoughts?

Aaron Bellette
20-01-2006, 09:06 AM
NIC, both Yearbook (for my CC opening preparation) and Magazine (for the stories - GK, Hans Ree, etc. - plus game analysis) are both unbeatable IMHO.

ACCQ and Australian Chess of course - both go without saying!

AB

Davidflude
20-01-2006, 02:08 PM
NIC, both Yearbook (for my CC opening preparation) and Magazine (for the stories - GK, Hans Ree, etc. - plus game analysis) are both unbeatable IMHO.

ACCQ and Australian Chess of course - both go without saying!

AB

Thanks AAron, I have a complete set of Informants but suspect that I need the yearbooks as well. I am adding a new opening to my repertoire and have started
from Informant 1 playing through every game. By the time I finish I should understand the idea.

machomortensen
26-11-2011, 01:00 AM
@ DavidFlude

More or less the same...

I receive New in Chess, Australasian CHESS, the swedish Tidskrift för Schack (I don't know why, I have never paid for it, but around 10 years ago I won "one year") and the danish SKAKBLADET, where I have my own column.

Every day I receive CHESS TODAY.

I think I have all the Kaissibers. Rumors says that the editor has a nervous breakdown, so we will to wait long, long time for the next edition. I also have a lot of KARL-editions. And KINGPIN's...

Denis_Jessop
26-11-2011, 04:35 PM
@ DavidFlude

More or less the same...

I receive New in Chess, Australasian CHESS, the swedish Tidskrift för Schack (I don't know why, I have never paid for it, but around 10 years ago I won "one year") and the danish SKAKBLADET, where I have my own column.

Every day I receive CHESS TODAY.

I think I have all the Kaissibers. Rumors says that the editor has a nervous breakdown, so we will to wait long, long time for the next edition. I also have a lot of KARL-editions. And KINGPIN's...

Kingpin is a must. I have, I think, a life subscription with Brian Jones for it. I don't know how many remaining issues I have but I don't know when the next one will be out - probably about 2015 I expect.

DJ

Brian_Jones
27-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Kingpin is a must. I have, I think, a life subscription with Brian Jones for it. I don't know how many remaining issues I have but I don't know when the next one will be out - probably about 2015 I expect.

DJ

Actually Denis your Kingpin sub expires with #42, which will be published in 2012 (or maybe later!)

Denis_Jessop
27-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Thanks, Brian. I had a feeling that there was only one left. I'll expect it when it arrives :) I see that the most recent one was on better paper so perhaps they have turned over a new leaf. :hmm:

DJ