PDA

View Full Version : Idea: Holding simuls

bunta
12-01-2006, 09:09 PM
OK, im not a very great player many people on this forum know im still a begineer to chess because i only started to play last autumn of 2005 so you can see i am picking up experience still.
I was thinking of holding a simul or giant chess at a local shopping centre near my house, my area is not very big in chess compared to chatswood/city(sydney) which makes up most of the NSWJCL body in tournaments.
I am aiming that people would donate a few bucks when they give me a game and people can find out more about the NSWJCL with information flyers or something, the shopping centre has a library as well so many kids and there parents are bound to walk past my stand or simul
what do you guys think?

ElevatorEscapee
12-01-2006, 09:53 PM
I think you would get more money if you put up a sign saying "Play the Samoan Chess Champion!"... and played some loud, thumping, music in the background. (-;

Garvinator
12-01-2006, 10:19 PM
I think you would get more money if you put up a sign saying "Play the Samoan Chess Champion!"... and played some loud, thumping, music in the background. (-;
like that has never been done before : p

ElevatorEscapee
12-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Actually, it's quite a good idea, even as a "relative beginner", if you play regularly in a club or online, you may find that you are able to beat 80%-90% of the general public who want to play a game against you.

However one sticking point you may find is that local councils by-laws may require ludicrous levels of "Public Liability Insurance", (it was $1,000,000 the last time the Bendigo Chess Club applied to do something similar to what you have suggested). It's not their fault, exactly, it's just what they have been advised to comply to, to protect themselves.

bunta
13-01-2006, 02:21 PM
Actually, it's quite a good idea, even as a "relative beginner", if you play regularly in a club or online, you may find that you are able to beat 80%-90% of the general public who want to play a game against you.

However one sticking point you may find is that local councils by-laws may require ludicrous levels of "Public Liability Insurance", (it was $1,000,000 the last time the Bendigo Chess Club applied to do something similar to what you have suggested). It's not their fault, exactly, it's just what they have been advised to comply to, to protect themselves.

brilliant! lol, umm what do you mean? liability? ok also i need some idea that proves that i'm not some con artist because that has happened before with the tsunami victims people claiming to collect money for them and end being scams and keeping all the money

noswonky
28-01-2006, 09:54 AM
brilliant! lol, umm what do you mean? liability?

Liability...

If the council lets you do it, and a little kid comes along and swallows a pawn and chokes, then the council is liable - which basically means it's their fault and they get sued for a lot of money.

So to avoid that problem, they (or you) have to get insurance to cover it. It's called public liability insurance. In the last couple of years, the cost of this insurance has gone up by a large amount (not sure why) resulting in many public events being cancelled because the organisers can't afford it.

jenni
28-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Liability...

If the council lets you do it, and a little kid comes along and swallows a pawn and chokes, then the council is liable - which basically means it's their fault and they get sued for a lot of money.

So to avoid that problem, they (or you) have to get insurance to cover it. It's called public liability insurance. In the last couple of years, the cost of this insurance has gone up by a large amount (not sure why) resulting in many public events being cancelled because the organisers can't afford it.

This is true. In 1997 we went to the Aus Juniors in Perth and did a bit of touristy stuff in the Margaret river. One of our high lights was to go Berry picking on a farm. In 2004 went back to Perth and headed back to the Berry farm for some more picking. Unfortunately they now had a sign up sayign they had stopped public picking because they couldn't afford the public liability.....

I guess the insurance companies were worried about massive claims due to people being attacked by killer bees or thorns.

Maybe if Bunta did it under the auspices of the NSWJCL, he would be covered by their public liability?

Spiny Norman
28-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Croydon Chess has a blindfold simul coming up in a few weeks (details in the "Croydon Chess Calendar (2006)" thread). We are attempting to promote in the local media. I will try to attach here a copy of our Media Release, just in case anyone has suggested improvements, or indeed, if you want to borrow the template and use it for your own club.

bunta
31-01-2006, 10:37 AM
Liability...

yes i called my local council regarding about it, and he told me yes liability is simply way too costly unless i can figure out something

Spiny Norman
06-02-2006, 07:43 PM
Croydon Chess has a blindfold simul coming up in a few weeks (details in the "Croydon Chess Calendar (2006)" thread). We are attempting to promote in the local media.
The publicity worked a treat ... front page! I will post details in the "Publicity" thread.

PHAT
07-02-2006, 07:36 AM
Unfortunately they now had a sign up sayign they had stopped public picking because they couldn't afford the public liability.....

Since you are a Canberran, I s'pose you make your sea side sojourns to Batemans Bay. There is a great "Pick Your Own Black Berries" farm just ~15 km north of Bate. But, go in season ;) Dec, Jan, Feb.

PHAT
07-02-2006, 07:56 AM
I was thinking of holding a simul or giant chess at a local shopping centre near my house, ...
Bunter, I still don't know who you are. If I had known you were at the St George Summer, I would have shaken your hand. I think you have great potential and need a good mentor. May I suggest Sydney based people: Jason Lyons, Brian Jones, Peter Parr, David Evans et cetera. These people are doers with experiance.

As much as is practical, stay away from the NSWCA and the NSWJCL, as they will suck the life out of anything you want to do.

the shopping centre has a library as well so many kids and there parents are bound to walk past my stand or simul
what do you guys think?

My advice: Use you local club to approach the local council to do a "Club Promotion Day." Every Council has a Community Liason Office, which will show you how to apply. This has been done in Wollongong a few times.

Good luck!

NOTE: Hey! NSWCA and NSWJCL! Look at this kid. He is going to take you over.

Dozy
07-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Thank you kind sir. It's lovely to be elevated to such esteemed company, no matter how undeserved.

I'm just one of the little people doing little things on a local level -- much like everybody else. And like the demon in the New Testament, my name is Legion.

However: :cool:

An afterthought: I was looking for a graphic to depict the Chess Chat Forum for the link on the Rooty Hill home page and used Google images with cues like "yak yak" "yakety yak" and finally "chess chat". I was a bit surprised, on page three of the last one, to find your avatar looking out at me.

It gave me quite a turn...