PDA

View Full Version : Non-cash Prizes

The_Wise_Man
18-12-2005, 09:19 AM
For sponsorship purposes, a company is more willing to give out their product than $$$.

The Grand Prix has some really great non-cash prizes in the form of airfares etc...

How do people feel about receiving a prize as a opposed to cash or a combination of the two.

Wise

Kaitlin
18-12-2005, 10:10 AM
Nothing wrong with prizes :D

[edit after Bergils post] ..... hmmm :D a nice car would be good, but plane tickets would be ok too or a weekend away... but not like a toaster - and the prizes dont replace the trophies do they ?

bergil
18-12-2005, 10:52 AM
The interleagues gave prizes instead of trophies and that was fine but I guess it depends on the prizes given. :snooty:

Didn't the NSWCA have a tournament with low entry fees and gave books for prizes? It was one of the lowest attended competitions that they have ever run, I may be wrong :suprised: and if so I'm happy to corrected. :nervous:

pax
18-12-2005, 05:33 PM
Didn't the NSWCA have a tournament with low entry fees and gave books for prizes? It was one of the lowest attended competitions that they have ever run, I may be wrong :suprised: and if so I'm happy to corrected. :nervous:

I don't think prizemoney was the only consideration in that case.

ElevatorEscapee
18-12-2005, 06:16 PM
For sponsorship purposes, a company is more willing to give out their product than $$$.

Ansell aren't sponsoring this one are they? :oops:

Trent Parker
18-12-2005, 10:33 PM
Ansell aren't sponsoring this one are they? :oops:

lol you are the winner! you win a lifetime supply of ......rubber :uhoh: .....tyres...

ElevatorEscapee
18-12-2005, 11:00 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of rubber gloves. ;)

four four two
23-12-2005, 01:14 PM
To use in your secret chess lab EE? :hmm:

Building an army of "Chess Zombies" to be released on the unsuspecting public at Ballarat? :hmm:

Prizes are potentially a nice way of getting more sponsors involved in chess...just so long as Coke/Pepsi and the junkfood kings,along with cigarette companies are not involved. ;)

Maybe you could have a $2,000 dollar prize from a bank in an account with no fees? :hmm:

ElevatorEscapee
21-01-2006, 04:22 PM
[QUOTE=four four two]To use in your secret chess lab EE? :hmm:

Building an army of "Chess Zombies" to be released on the unsuspecting public at Ballarat? :hmm: ... schnipp! [QUOTE]

I would have gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for that meddling 442! ;-) (PS Why has he been absent from the board lately... has he been playing in certain chess tournaments? ;-) ).

jase
21-01-2006, 08:27 PM

The Grand Prix has some really great non-cash prizes in the form of airfares etc...

My understanding is that the airfares are simply being purchased by the ACF. That is to say, the tickets to Kuala Lumpur are not being provided by an airline, but rather some of the money from the sponsorship of the Grand Prix is being withheld to pay for 4 economy return airfares.

I do take the essence of your point Chris - the above arrangement is an interesting twist: rather than a sponsor providing a non-cash prize, the sponsor is providing cash, and the organiser is using some of that cash to offer a product.