PDA

View Full Version : Fischer Memorabilia For Sale

Phil Bourke
14-12-2005, 10:55 PM
Any rich enthusiasts wanting a bit of history may be interested in the following, http://cgi.ebay.com/Bobby-Fischers-chess-book-collection-and-other-items_W0QQitemZ8736084948QQcategoryZ2554QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem
Mind you, better have a blank chequebook :) Bidding is starting at US$15,000 and it looks like the seller expects to double that.

ElevatorEscapee
16-12-2005, 10:42 PM
bah! Already 1 bid... yeah right... like it's worth that much, really. :rolleyes:

Maybe if each book had handwritten notes: "From America with love, to my dear friend Boris"... or some such, it might have been worth it...

I suspect, however, that I could put my entire 250+ chess book collection up for auction and "imply" that Alekhine once owned it... (he must have once owned all his best games collections at least!) ;)

Even if they genuinely are Fischer's books, then I feel sadened that they would be offered for sale without any attempt to contact Fischer himself!

Oh, just one more question: Why on Earth would he have autographed the books he wanted to keep? :P

Kaitlin
17-12-2005, 07:04 AM
Oh, just one more question: Why on Earth would he have autographed the books he wanted to keep? :P
Maybe he just wrote his name in them so no-one would steal them :smoker:

Dozy
03-01-2006, 06:53 PM
This scarcely rates among Fischer memorabilia, but the big man is set to grace the small screen again -- with or without his approval.

On Jan 10 GSN in the USA will commence a "13 part documentary" series called Anything to Win. It focuses on both cheats and "fair playing champions".

The publicity blurb says the subjects range from Boston Marathon runner Rosie Ruiz (who came out of nowhere to win the 1980 race, only to be disqualified a week later for catching a train along part of the route) to "oddball chess champ Bobby Fischer".

I guess the series will be screened in Oz eventually.