PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Myer Tan Australian Chess Grand Prix

Brian_Jones
14-12-2005, 06:39 AM
2006 Myer Tan Australian Chess Grand Prix

A yearlong series of tournaments in memory of Ken Myer and Arthur Tan

Prize fund is $16,000 including four economy class return airfares to play in the 2007 Malaysian Chess Festival.
Registration of Tournaments closes at midnight on Thursday 15 December 2005.
Programmes and Posters will be passed to the printer at 9am on Friday 16 December 2005.
Late entries will be accepted after 15 December but

1. Organsiers must pay the late entry fee of $100
2. The tournament will not be included in the printed material.

The Grand Prix website will be updated over the weekend 17/18 December 2005.

Scoresheets, programmes and posters will be available at the Australian Championships in Brisbane and will be posted out to organisers before the event.

Good luck to all participants.

Brian Jones, Director
2006 Myer Tan Australian Chess Grand Prix
www.chessaustralia.com.au/grandprix

Brian_Jones
14-12-2005, 09:37 AM
2006 GP Entries approaching 40 tournaments including three Class 5 events (Doeberl Cup, NSW Open and Gold Coast Open).

Good number of Victorian entries but mainly Class 1 (No Class 4 or 5 events; Ballarat is Class 3, Elwood is Class 1, No Vic Open?)

The_Wise_Man
14-12-2005, 12:43 PM
brian

can you please explain who these people were?

wise

The_Wise_Man
14-12-2005, 12:45 PM
and who are the airline tickets with?

Wise

Brian_Jones
14-12-2005, 03:54 PM
brian

can you please explain who these people were?

wise

The programme will be in the January/February edition of Australian Chess magazine, due out late next week.

Just to give you a clue:

1. Ken Myer was the elder son of Sydney Myer.
2. Arthur Tan was the son of Dato' Tan Chin Nam

Brian_Jones
14-12-2005, 03:55 PM
and who are the airline tickets with?

Wise

The ACF will choose the most appropriate carrier, probably MAS.

The_Wise_Man
14-12-2005, 09:27 PM
Thanks Brian...

I will wait on the announcements then...

Wise

Brian_Jones
15-12-2005, 03:03 PM
Entries close at midnight EST.

Now up to 46 tournaments including WA (6) and SA (3).

Victoria struggling. Still no Vic Open. Ballarat is class 3. Elwood is class 1.

BFG
15-12-2005, 05:06 PM
Entries close at midnight EST.

Now up to 46 tournaments including WA (6) and SA (3).

Victoria struggling. Still no Vic Open. Ballarat is class 3. Elwood is class 1.

A product of the advanced chess culture there we must assume :hmm:

ursogr8
15-12-2005, 09:58 PM
A product of the advanced chess culture there we must assume :hmm:

There are other speculative reasons.
Victoria has few week-enders, and more tournaments spread over 7 o r 9 weeks.
For example....the Dandenong OPEN, the MCC OPEN, the Box Hill OPEN, the Winter INTERCLUB, and many more.
A 9 week tourney hardly seems appropriate for a Grand Prix structure.

Hold off on your assume, BFG.

Brian_Jones
16-12-2005, 07:01 AM
Victoria has few week-enders, and more tournaments spread over 7 o r 9 weeks. For example....the Dandenong OPEN, the MCC OPEN, the Box Hill OPEN, the Winter INTERCLUB, and many more.

Are the Mexicans scared of weekend forays across the border?

Or do they really need 9 weeks to play a chess tournament?

Brian_Jones
16-12-2005, 07:05 AM
GP Programmes and Posters now at the printers. Final tally was 46 tournaments:

NSW 15
VIC 8
QLD 7
WA 6
TAS 4
ACT 3
SA 3

ursogr8
16-12-2005, 07:22 AM
Are the Mexicans scared of weekend forays across the border?

Dunno Brian. I will put it in our next newsletter and ask a few of them. :rolleyes:
In the mean-time, can you advise if the highway that gets us to some of the NSW chess events passes through Cronulla.

And, is there any known by-pass for the NSW section from Albury to Holbrook?

Or do they really need 9 weeks to play a chess tournament?

:eh:

starter

Brian_Jones
16-12-2005, 08:04 AM
In the mean-time, can you advise if the highway that gets us to some of the NSW chess events passes through Cronulla. And, is there any known by-pass for the NSW section from Albury to Holbrook?

I think if you start at Tullermarine (or that other flat place out towards Geelong) and then go vertically you will find that you can descend on Sydney or Gold Coast or Coffs Harbour or Dubbo.

Why not take the family and visit the Dubbo Zoo (and the Big Telescope at Parkes!)

BFG
16-12-2005, 09:33 AM
Hold off on your assume, BFG.Sorry Starter for being mischievous. Was just having a gentle dig at one of FG7s claims in another thread.

Victorian chess has clearly the strongest chess scene in the country.

four four two
16-12-2005, 10:39 AM
Well BFG,the vic champs had 1 GM and four IM's...now would you care to remind us how many IM's played in the NSW champs this year. :hmm: ;)

I presume the Vic open hasnt been submitted yet as there hasnt been an actual bidder for the 2006 tournament yet.

I also presume that Elwood,which had a first prize that was twice as large as Ballarat/Begonia,is listed as category 1 rather than category3 because they didnt want to pay any money to be on the grand prix list. :hmm:

ursogr8
16-12-2005, 10:52 AM
Sorry Starter for being mischievous. Was just having a gentle dig at one of FG7s claims in another thread.

N. p. ..........BFG,

I was just trying to keep the thread alive for Brian; he doesn't have something like 'competitive indices' to keep general interest up during the quiet periods of publicity. ;)

I think if you start at Tullermarine (or that other flat place out towards Geelong) and then go vertically you will find that you can descend on Sydney or Gold Coast or Coffs Harbour or Dubbo.

Why not take the family and visit the Dubbo Zoo (and the Big Telescope at Parkes!)

Hmmm.
I asked about a Holbrook by-pass, and you seem to have enlarged the concept to a Sydney by-pass. :P

By the way, you might be able to answer a question that intrigues me.....Weshers seem to have built 2 parallel 6-lane freeways from the CBD to Parramatta, but can't afford just 1 only 4 -lane freeway south of Holbrook. How come?

starter

Rincewind
16-12-2005, 11:04 AM
By the way, you might be able to answer a question that intrigues me.....Weshers seem to have built 2 parallel 6-lane freeways from the CBD to Parramatta, but can't afford just 1 only 4 -lane freeway south of Holbrook. How come?

Good question. One would have thought it would double the revenue from the two speed cameras and therefore pay for itself. :)

It's enough to make one move interstate. :)

BTW I might do a report on the New England Hwy in a couple of weeks.

Brian_Jones
16-12-2005, 02:01 PM
Holbrook? Is that anywhere Holsworthy?

Garvinator
16-12-2005, 02:37 PM
I also presume that Elwood,which had a first prize that was twice as large as Ballarat/Begonia,is listed as category 1 rather than category3 because they didnt want to pay any money to be on the grand prix list. :hmm:
how can a tournament that is likely to have $2500 approx in prizes be listed as a gp cat 1 tournament for 2006? Shouldnt it be a cat 3 or similiar or not included at all?

four four two
16-12-2005, 02:52 PM
I have to say when I saw the grand prix calendar and the Elwood tournament was given a category 1 I was surprised,maybe Brian can give us an explanation as to why this is the case. :hmm:

Rincewind
16-12-2005, 02:54 PM
Holbrook? Is that anywhere Holsworthy?

Just a short submarine trip away, perhaps...

Brian_Jones
16-12-2005, 02:57 PM
would you care to remind us how many IM's played in the NSW champs this year.

There was one GM and two FMs playing in the Malaysian Open this year. And, Ian Rogers, Alex Wohl, Gary Lane and George Xie played many overseas events. The NSW champs is not yet attractive to professional players. But neither is the Victorian champs?

four four two
16-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Well,I wouldnt expect Rogers,Wohl or Lane to play...but that still leaves Zhong Zhao,John Paul Wallace[Is he retired again?...] and the Feldmans. ;)

Hopefully next year George Xie and Igor Bjelobrk will be able to play because with just 1 player above 2200[keg] it looks like the tournament is going backwards... :hmm:

auriga
16-12-2005, 03:33 PM
how can a tournament that is likely to have $2500 approx in prizes be listed as a gp cat 1 tournament for 2006? Shouldnt it be a cat 3 or similiar or not included at all?

they can choose which class they want.
i guess to be a cat 3 they have to be > $2000 but it's still optional.
they can choose a lower category or not to be listed at all if they desire.

to build the tournament up (ie. attract interstate or non-regulars) seems
good investment to increase category but something they can think about.

four four two
16-12-2005, 03:41 PM
Well I would think that having a first prize of $2,000 would be enough to draw stronger players from interstate. :whistle:

Maybe they see the prize money as being their best way of "promotion" rather than being in a higher category and paying a grand prix fee. :hmm:

auriga
16-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Well I would think that having a first prize of $2,000 would be enough to draw stronger players from interstate. :whistle:

what about upcoming juniors or u2000/u1600?!
maybe the gp prizes for these would be good incentive.
they would assume gm/im may take out top prize.

pax
16-12-2005, 05:27 PM
It's pretty clear that Victoria, either collectively or otherwise have chosen not to support the Grand Prix (with only two tournaments above class 1). Presumably they have their reasons, but the end result is that it will be rather difficult for Victorian players to compete for national prizes.

WA have not supported the GP for many years on the reasonable basis that WA players are extremely unlikely to be able to compete for national GP prizes due to the tyranny of distance. Instead of paying money for a national GP, WA has it's own GP. This year, WA is able to have six class one events due to the free entry, but still pays no money. In any case, WA events are typically low entry fee/low prizemoney so would not normally qualify for any higher category in the GP.

ursogr8
16-12-2005, 08:27 PM
It's pretty clear that Victoria, either collectively or otherwise

I think we can scrub the idea of a collective decision. Therefore we have the catch-all 'otherwise' variey of reasons.

have chosen not to support the Grand Prix (with only two tournaments above class 1).

Presumably they have their reasons,

Agreed

but the end result is that it will be rather difficult for Victorian players to compete for national prizes.

Agreed

<snip>

Brian_Jones
17-12-2005, 07:27 AM
Elwood tournament was given a category 1 I was surprised,maybe Brian can give us an explanation as to why this is the case. :hmm:

Not all organisers take a national perspective. Some are just downright parochial (never I hear you say!)

I suspect Elwood choose Class 1 because they are just being prudent (or what is that other word I am searching for?).

It is all well and good with one or two big prizes but look what happened to Caloundra. They advertised three GMs. So all the other players stayed at home because there was no prize left for them to aim for.

One of the objectives of the 2006 Myer Tan Grand Prix is to get organisers to lenghthen and strengthen the main prize list. Rating prizes will follow automatically and the players will turn out again!

Brian_Jones
17-12-2005, 07:35 AM

Maybe they see the prize money as being their best way of "promotion" rather than being in a higher category and paying a grand prix fee. :hmm:

Players also like the ambience of a big weekend tournament.

The Doeberl Cup with 200+ players is the classic example. But Coolum with 160+ in the early 90's was a magnet for ambitious players. Ballarat has had the ambience on and off over the years but they often shoot themselves in the foot by attacks of prudence.

Class 5 events will attract the players in big numbers. Class 1 events will meader on.

AES
18-12-2005, 11:23 AM
Just a note that the Adelaide Checkmate Open may be upgraded to a Category 4/5 depending on sponsorship. At this stage we can definitely confirm a minimum of $2500. This is very conservative.

auriga
18-12-2005, 09:38 PM
did you know each state can have 1 event as cat 4 for $300 fee
without constraint of minimun main prize fund?
i saw in 'state ch survey' in another thread as a reminder.

think this was a rule change that was discussed at acf meeting.
don't think anyone has took up this offer but still requires $300 fee i guess.

could be worth making 1 event in each state a feature event (ie. cat 4).
eg. perth open in wa, vic open in vic and university open in sa.

pax
18-12-2005, 10:10 PM
did you know each state can have 1 event as cat 4 for $300 fee
without constraint of minimun main prize fund?
i saw in 'state ch survey' in another thread as a reminder.

I know Brian has made this offer. I very much doubt the CAWA would take up this offer, as the WA events all have very low entry fees and $300 would take a substantial amount from the budget. And even with a cat IV event, no WA player is likely to come within cooee of a national prize.

Brian_Jones
22-12-2005, 06:33 AM
no WA player is likely to come within cooee of a national prize.

Why not? It's just a frame of mind. They need to get on their bikes and play around the country!

pax
22-12-2005, 11:12 AM
Why not? It's just a frame of mind. They need to get on their bikes and play around the country!

Sure, it's a frame of mind and about five grand in airfares and accommodation.

Brian_Jones
22-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Sure, it's a frame of mind and about five grand in airfares and accommodation.
Maybe you are travelling business class and staying at the Grand, mate.

arosar
22-12-2005, 01:32 PM
Travelling, by air, across the country just to play chess is fairly expensive Brian. Even if you stay in the cheapest hostels - it all adds up.

AR

Brian_Jones
26-12-2005, 07:49 AM
Travelling, by air, across the country just to play chess is fairly expensive Brian. Even if you stay in the cheapest hostels - it all adds up.

AR

WA has six GP tournaments of its own. It could upgrade them. It could obtain sponsorship. WA could attract players from other states to travel west.

I have been to WA numerous times on business, played sometimes when there was a convenient tournament but generally there is insufficient activity.
I have been in Perth at weekends when no chess available.

Kevin Bonham
18-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Now that the year is over, I'd like to commend Brian on his excellent performance as 2006 GP Co-ordinator. He has resurrected a series that had previously been struggling for years and looks like keeping this up in 2007.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Mischa
18-01-2007, 08:20 PM
Where can I find the results for 2006?

pax
18-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Where can I find the results for 2006?
http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/grandprix/index.cfm?year=2006&p=section&a=results

Mischa
18-01-2007, 09:46 PM
thanks....

Basil
19-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Now that the year is over, I'd like to commend Brian on his excellent performance as 2006 GP Co-ordinator. He has resurrected a series that had previously been struggling for years and looks like keeping this up in 2007.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Ditto. Nice work reinvigorating the GP, Brian.