04-02-2004, 09:59 PM
FIDE Rated tournament.

Box Hill Chess Club

27/April/2004 - 29/June/2004

9 rounds

Postponed games played 22/June/2004

10 player round robin

Games played Tuesday starting at 7.45pm

2 spots in the field will be reserved for players in REGIONAL Australia to play via electronic facilities.
Expressions of interest are invited for these two positions.
Requirements at the Regional location
>Access to an account probably on ICC or FIC
>>Qualified arbiter at Regional cost.
>>>Regional arbiter will report to the Arbiter on location at Box Hill
>>>>PC
>>>>Mobile phone as back-up
>>>>>One game out of 10 will be also against a Regional remote entrant. Logistics to be negotiated for this single game.

Possible requirement for DGT interface board if the Regional player wishes to play on a horizontal surface rather than via a PC screen.

Interested parties should ask questions via the BB on this thread, or PM to starter.
This is the first year that Regional players will be able to play in the Box Hill tournament remote. So some logistics are still negotiable. Feel free to ask questions.

Last years field can be seen at http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/e2003/e0304tfr/event.htm
Tournament conditions will be similar but may be minor change.

ursogr8
04-02-2004, 10:18 PM
Pasted below is an e-mail from Gary Bekker who is assisting Box Hill make Regional involvement in the FIDE-rated round robin possible.

starter
----------------------
Dear Gentlemen,
I have contacted FIDE regarding the rating of a FIDE tournament where some games have been played via the internet. This does not appear to be a problem as long as all competitors are supervised. I will receive further confirmation from FIDE officials, about this, later in the week.

I have also checked the ICC website to find out about software which they have that could be used to automatically relay moves from a DGT sensory board. In this way, Box Hill players would just play as normal on a DGT board, and moves would be automatically be relayed to the server. Such a plug-in is available and is called "WoodIn". I have highlighted the details in bold below. I will download and test the plugin during the coming weeks and will then report back.

So far so good! All the best,

Gary Bekker

ursogr8
08-02-2004, 10:05 AM
FIDE Rated tournament.

Box Hill Chess Club

27/April/2004 - 29/June/2004

9 rounds

Postponed games played 22/June/2004

10 player round robin

Games played Tuesday starting at 7.45pm

2 spots in the field will be reserved for players in REGIONAL Australia to play via electronic facilities.
Expressions of interest are invited for these two positions.
Requirements at the Regional location
>Access to an account probably on ICC or FIC
>>Qualified arbiter at Regional cost.
>>>Regional arbiter will report to the Arbiter on location at Box Hill
>>>>PC
>>>>Mobile phone as back-up
>>>>>One game out of 10 will be also against a Regional remote entrant. Logistics to be negotiated for this single game.

Possible requirement for DGT interface board if the Regional player wishes to play on a horizontal surface rather than via a PC screen.

Interested parties should ask questions via the BB on this thread, or PM to starter.
This is the first year that Regional players will be able to play in the Box Hill tournament remote. So some logistics are still negotiable. Feel free to ask questions.

Last years field can be seen at http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/e2003/e0304tfr/event.htm
Tournament conditions will be similar but may be minor change.

I have had some PM enquiries as to whether it is necessary for the two regional entrants to have DGT electronic boards. The answer is no, not mandatory. It is quite feasible for the REMOTE player to play direct to vertical screen (that is the display of the chess board from the ICC site), instead of through the interface of a DGT board which is horizontal on the table. (The DGT board connects via software to the ICC site which is planned to be the governing software for the game). There are two options on clock time. One is to use clock-times on the ICC display, and the second option is treat the game as we used to treat telex games; i.e a clock at each site and moves made on the board by a 'runner'.

Further enquiries are encouraged.

This event is designed to allow participation for those players looking for a FIDE rating, but are generally unable to travel to appropriate venues.

starter

Kevin Bonham
08-02-2004, 03:35 PM
Hi starter,

What are the requirements for a "qualified arbiter"? I would be keen to give it a go but there are no IAs down here and the most experienced arbiter in Tasmania is ... um ... me.

Garvinator
08-02-2004, 04:03 PM
starter, if you received four or so ppl who wanted to be the regional entries, how would you work out who gets in?

ursogr8
08-02-2004, 05:21 PM
Hi starter,

What are the requirements for a "qualified arbiter"? I would be keen to give it a go but there are no IAs down here and the most experienced arbiter in Tasmania is ... um ... me.

Kevin

The sole objective is to ensure fair play and to give the impression of fair play. Credentials would not be necessary. In fact, if a point of uncertainty arose during play then I think getting the remote 'arbiter' on the line to the central arbiter, who is qualified, would resolve any issues.
I don't think your lack of an IA is a showstopper provided you can find a reliable 'observer(s)'.

regards
starter

ursogr8
08-02-2004, 05:35 PM
starter, if you received four or so ppl who wanted to be the regional entries, how would you work out who gets in?

ra'ra'

We would have to get the brainstrust at this end to work out where scaling up would give us bottlenecks. They have not done the thinking to date. Off-hand......would we need 4 ICC accounts, 4 supervisors, 4 DGTs. May be possible. Do you want me to put to the organisers?

starter

Kevin Bonham
08-02-2004, 05:53 PM
I don't think your lack of an IA is a showstopper provided you can find a reliable 'observer(s)'.

I'll see if I can find anyone who wouldn't mind spending ten Tuesday nights just watching me play chess over the 'net. Could be tricky but I might raise it at our club AGM on Feb 25th and see if anyone's up for it.

Garvinator
08-02-2004, 06:05 PM
I'll see if I can find anyone who wouldn't mind spending ten Tuesday nights just watching me play chess over the 'net. Could be tricky but I might raise it at our club AGM on Feb 25th and see if anyone's up for it.
ill do it, but tca must pay for my airfares :whistle:

ursogr8
08-02-2004, 09:31 PM

Kevin

Err, aaar, uumm

A 10 player round-robin is actually 9 games.
Aside from that little detail; note that 22 June is put aside for postponed games.

And another thing I don't understand; do you mean there are other things to do on a Tuesday night in Tasmania in the cold season? Watching you play chess would be a hit I thought. :) ;)

starter
BTW.......I had my honeymoon on Bruney Island........Tas. is actually really good.

ursogr8
08-02-2004, 09:36 PM
ill do it, but tca must pay for my airfares :whistle:

rag'rag'

They have a saying in business in Tas.
If you visit after April you are on actual business, if you visit before April you are just a tourist.

And did you mean 9 air-fares? You would need to fly back to Perfectimo each week to thaw out. :p

Garvinator
08-02-2004, 10:07 PM
rag'rag'

They have a saying in business in Tas.
If you visit after April you are on actual business, if you visit before April you are just a tourist.

And did you mean 9 air-fares? You would need to fly back to Perfectimo each week to thaw out. :p
18 airfares :p i would like to get back to brisbane each week :owned:

ursogr8
16-02-2004, 07:20 AM
Pasted below is an e-mail from Gary Bekker who is assisting Box Hill make Regional involvement in the FIDE-rated round robin possible.

starter
----------------------
Dear Gentlemen,
I have contacted FIDE regarding the rating of a FIDE tournament where some games have been played via the internet. This does not appear to be a problem as long as all competitors are supervised. I will receive further confirmation from FIDE officials, about this, later in the week.

I have also checked the ICC website to find out about software which they have that could be used to automatically relay moves from a DGT sensory board. In this way, Box Hill players would just play as normal on a DGT board, and moves would be automatically be relayed to the server. Such a plug-in is available and is called "WoodIn". I have highlighted the details in bold below. I will download and test the plugin during the coming weeks and will then report back.

So far so good! All the best,

Gary Bekker

Later advice from Gary Bekker is that not only is FIDE willing to rate the Box Hill FIDE round-robin, where 1 or 2 of the 10 players play remote from Victoria, but they are asking for a report on 'lessons learned' from this interesting exercise. Of particular interest are the DGT boards and arbiter arrangements.

If any Western Australia participants are looking to establish a FIDE rating then this could be your chance.

starter

ursogr8
19-02-2004, 07:40 AM
Pasted in below are the details of a FIDE rated event to be held at Box Hill.

----------------------------
BOX HILL CHESS CLUB

2004 FIDE rated round robin tournament

Expressions of interest are requested from players wishing to participate
in a Box Hill Chess club organised FIDE rated round robin tournament
to be held at the club from April 27 to June 29

playing dates: April 27, May 4, 11, 18, 25, June 1, 8, 15, 29.
June 22 is a postponed games night
Players: Player selection by invitation following expressions of interest. Min. 4 FIDE rated players, max. 6 non FIDE rated players
Starting time: Tuesdays 7.30 PM sharp
Rate of Play: 90 minutes per game + 30 sec. per move from move 1
Note: with this time-control the player is obliged to score until the end
Entry fees: Entry fee for FIDE rated BHCC members: $20
Visitors fee for non BHCC members $20
Entry fee for non-FIDE rated BHCC members: $70
Prize fund: First $80 Second $50 Third $30
Ratings: All games will be ACF and FIDE rated.
Note that it is an absolute requirement for the ratings that
all games are played and no forfeits can be given or received.
Postponements: Postponements should be arranged between players and the arbiter must be informed at all times.
Note: there is a free night on June 24.
Arbiter: Gerrit Hartland

Tournament: A 10 player round robin tournament, with players position in the draw decided by lot
Draw: round 1: 1 v 10, 2 v 9, 3 v 8, 4 v 7, 5 v 6.
round 2: 10 v 6, 7 v 5, 8 v 4, 9 v 3, 1 v 2.
round 3: 2 v 10, 3 v 1, 4 v 9, 5 v 8, 6 v 7.
round 4: 10 v 7, 8 v 6, 9 v 5, 1 v 4, 2 v 3.
round 5: 3 v 10, 4 v 2, 5 v 1, 6 v 9, 7 v 8.
round 6: 10 v 8, 9 v 7, 1 v 6, 2 v 5, 3 v 4.
round 7: 4 v 10, 5 v 3, 6 v 2, 7 v 1, 8 v 9.
round 8: 10 v 9, 1 v 8, 2 v 7, 3 v 6, 4 v 5.
round 9: 5 v 10, 6 v 4, 7 v 3, 8 v 2, 9 v 1.

The ballot for numbers in the draw will be held on Tuesday April 20 after the completion of the Allegro tournament
Disputes: In case of a dispute the president of the Club will appoint a disputes committee.
Gerrit Hartland club captain

ursogr8
21-02-2004, 02:43 PM
The 10 player round-robin FIDE rated event has nearly a completed set of entrants. Continued interest from FIDE who want a report on the concept of regional players being admitted to such events in small numbers encourages us to seek one more Regional player.

Is there anyone in Ballarat (Bas), Bendigo (Max), Roma, Fiji, NZ, Dubbo dialling in here interested?

The concept sure beats having to pay airfares and accomodation to get a FIDE rating.

I heard second-hand that Ian Rogers had comments on the concept. Perhaps he could post here and discuss.

starter

Garvinator
21-02-2004, 02:56 PM
I heard second-hand that Ian Rogers had comments on the concept. Perhaps he could post here and discuss.
starter
maybe he could play :eek:

firegoat7
21-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Starter,

I think this is a great idea of yours. A truly innovative and interesting experience. If you would like to practice a test run on the dgt boards can I suggest a friendly unofficial game against MCC, live time club versus club over one board.To help iron out any potentially unforeseen problems.

Regards FG7

ursogr8
21-02-2004, 08:45 PM
Starter,

I think this is a great idea of yours. A truly innovative and interesting experience. If you would like to practice a test run on the dgt boards can I suggest a friendly unofficial game against MCC, live time club versus club over one board.To help iron out any potentially unforeseen problems.

Regards FG7

fg7
This sounds like something we could make happen.
From our end we intended a rehearsal and it would be good to use your expertise to be part of that.
Do you have DGT boards, or access to GB's collection; I think probably yes. He is advising us technically.

Need a test game; say Pecori v Raine, and we toss for ends. ;)

starter

firegoat7
21-02-2004, 09:05 PM
Hi Starter,

Ok cool, Pecori unfortunately not a participant. How about club versus club collectively, we toss for colors. GB should have more then one board yeah?

Cheers FG7

ursogr8
21-02-2004, 09:23 PM
Hi Starter,

Ok cool, Pecori unfortunately not a participant. How about club versus club collectively, we toss for colors. GB should have more then one board yeah?

Cheers FG7

The current intention is to have the DGT board directly connected to the ICC (or other account). That way the player can play on a horizontal board, but avoid the need for a traditional telechess 'runner'. The player with the DGT board makes his move and this automatically sends to the other end. Although come to think of it now in detail there would appear to be the need to have a runner for the 'received' move, and make it then on the DGT board. (I will have to ask GB about this).
Incidentally, this seems to allow use of the ICC/DGT clock-time rather than the usual telechess issue where a differential builds up between the two remote clocks.

We have presumed that we need a PC for each DGT board on our premises. And an ICC account too for each game. If this presumption is true then we would need a bank of PCs for a set of games. So far we have envisaged two such games in our round-robin.
Were you proposing a bank of games, or were you proposing a Club v Club voting at each end, on a single game?

Just thoughts at the moment.

And Pecori v Raine was a bit tongue in check because they are members of both Clubs.

starter

firegoat7
21-02-2004, 09:53 PM
Voting, it would appear easier to try out with one game, whilst making it interesting for all club members. I am curious how 'time' will work with the DGT timer and internet.

ursogr8
03-04-2004, 11:21 PM
A round-robin 10 player field will contest the next Box Hill FIDE rated event.
Entrants are
Roger Beatty...1793
Malcolm Bellety...1857
Chris Brooks...1675
Mehmed Dizdarevic...2006
Vahram Harutyunyan...1764
Ruperto Lugo...1781
Anthony Miller...1620
Marcus Raine...1947
Chris Wallis...1594
Nur Yachou...1891

Unfortunately no player interstate or remote took up our offer to play via an internet account, so all games will take place at the venue.

starter

Garvinator
04-04-2004, 12:21 AM
A round-robin 10 player field will contest the next Box Hill FIDE rated event.
Entrants are
Roger Beatty...1793
Malcolm Bellety...1857
Chris Brooks...1675
Mehmed Dizdarevic...2006
Vahram Harutyunyan...1764
Ruperto Lugo...1781
Anthony Miller...1620
Marcus Raine...1947
Chris Wallis...1594
Nur Yachou...1891

Unfortunately no player interstate or remote took up our offer to play via an internet account, so all games will take place at the venue.

starter
this might be a question for bill, to gain a fide rating, dont at least four players in the tournament have to already be fide rated?

ursogr8
04-04-2004, 09:06 AM
this might be a question for bill, to gain a fide rating, dont at least four players in the tournament have to already be fide rated?
g'a'y'
We know all about that; we are advised by Bekker. We have enough FIDE rated. Now stop dropping near-valueless posts. :hand:

starter

ps
If you are looking for something to do, work out the anagram on post #363 on the Mexican thread.

Garvinator
04-04-2004, 10:14 AM
We know all about that; we are advised by Bekker. We have enough FIDE rated. Now stop dropping near-valueless posts. :hand:
this is starting to get very tiring about you and post counts, sorry for attempting to potentially pointing out a concern that could come up when you attempted to get the tournament fide rated and then found out you couldnt. actually im not sorry at all for trying to maybe save your bacon.

ursogr8
04-04-2004, 10:34 AM
this is starting to get very tiring about you and post counts, sorry for attempting to potentially pointing out a concern that could come up when you attempted to get the tournament fide rated and then found out you couldnt. actually im not sorry at all for trying to maybe save your bacon.

gg'

Some of us are grumpy today because Essendon lost last night. I will have recovered by 2pm today. Until then I am kicking the cat.

starter

ps
If you are looking for something to do, work out the anagram on post #363 on the Mexican thread.

ursogr8
17-05-2004, 08:50 AM
At the end of round 4 of the BOX HILL FIDE rated ROUND ROBIN the standings of this event can be seen at
http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/e2004/e0404tfr/crosstable.htm

Three players share the lead.
The highest rated player :)
the lowest rated player, :eek:
and the youngest player. :cool:

starter

NOTORIOUS
17-05-2004, 01:16 PM

starter
sorry to nitpick, but actually i think i might be the youngest player in the tournament as well as the lowest rated :owned:

ursogr8
17-05-2004, 01:33 PM
sorry to nitpick, but actually i think i might be the youngest player in the tournament as well as the lowest rated :owned:

Welcome NOTORIOUS to the bulletin board.
And a fine first post it is.
Perhaps a bit ambitious to choose nit-picking as your first theme.

Now, NOTORIOUS, go back to my post and see there, in essence >>one sentence and a composite phrase.
The first says that 3 share the lead.
The second says that those in the lead have three characteristics. But it does not say that each one characteristic belongs with one only of the three players. Although, it is very tempting to jump to that conclusion. But it was not my stated conclusion.

Thus, I agree with "but actually i think i might be the youngest player in the tournament as well as the lowest rated ".
But I don't agree to an error in my post. The error is in your implication.

starter

ps Good win on Friday over booboo btw.

Rincewind
17-05-2004, 02:27 PM
Now, NOTORIOUS, go back to my post and see there, in essence >>one sentence and a composite phrase.
The first says that 3 share the lead.
The second says that those in the lead have three characteristics. But it does not say that each one characteristic belongs with one only of the three players. Although, it is very tempting to jump to that conclusion. But it was not my stated conclusion.

Actually I think nitpicking has become a hazard of the BB of late.

However, I could help but be reminded by your explaination that nowhere in the gospels does it mention that the number of wise men (magi) was three. Just three gifts, people have assumed there were three, but no one ever said that.

ursogr8
17-05-2004, 03:08 PM
Actually I think nitpicking has become a hazard of the BB of late.

Perhaps it was always there but masked by the higher profile issues raised by Chesslover, Matthew, and firegoat7.

However, I could help but be reminded by your explaination that nowhere in the gospels does it mention that the number of wise men (magi) was three. Just three gifts, people have assumed there were three, but no one ever said that.

Is that what they mean when they say 'it is the gospel truth'?

starter

arosar
17-05-2004, 03:34 PM
Boys, sorry to post this question here but my dilemma was actually provokes by this thread - and the last few posts in particular.

I seemed to have forgotten a word!! And it's been driving me nuts for the day. The word basically means something like 'to interpret'. It is often confused with 'to suggest'. I know this doesn't seem helpful and highly irregular but I'm just going crazy. So help me out please.

AR

ursogr8
17-05-2004, 03:52 PM
Boys, sorry to post this question here but my dilemma was actually provokes by this thread - and the last few posts in particular.

I seemed to have forgotten a word!! And it's been driving me nuts for the day. The word basically means something like 'to interpret'. It is often confused with 'to suggest'. I know this doesn't seem helpful and highly irregular but I'm just going crazy. So help me out please.

AR

Holy moly. What an offer. To paddle around in your mind from a distance, and imagine what it is that you want to say.

infer
imply
analyse
explain
elucidate
construe
understand
influence
interrupt

Looking at the list I can see why some are foreign to you. ;)

starter

arosar
17-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Noo...I coulda bloody looked up a thesaurus meself ya know. Some help you are mate. This word is at the tip of me tongue I tell you.

AR

ursogr8
17-05-2004, 04:24 PM
Noo...I coulda bloody looked up a thesaurus meself ya know. Some help you are mate. This word is at the tip of me tongue I tell you.

AR
AR

So now you tell me.
First it was 'on your mind', now it is on the tip of your tongue. Mate; the latter is a no-go zone. You are on your own.

starter

jeffrei
26-05-2004, 08:32 PM
The tournament's youngest player beat the second youngest player last night (C.Wallis-R.Lugo 1-0), so now we have =1st Chris Wallis and Marcus Raine on 4/5 with Ruperto Lugo in outright 3rd on 3.5/5. I note that Raine and Lugo are scheduled to play each other in the very last round, so this tournament could be headed for an interesting conclusion.

ursogr8
26-05-2004, 09:29 PM
The tournament's youngest player beat the second youngest player last night (C.Wallis-R.Lugo 1-0), so now we have =1st Chris Wallis and Marcus Raine on 4/5 with Ruperto Lugo in outright 3rd on 3.5/5. I note that Raine and Lugo are scheduled to play each other in the very last round, so this tournament could be headed for an interesting conclusion.

Will Chris Wallis be the first player to have a 500 point differential between his ACF rating and his FIDE rating-to-be. Place your bets.

jeffrei
07-06-2004, 11:17 PM
At the end of round 6 of the BOX HILL FIDE rated ROUND ROBIN the standings of this event can be seen at
http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/e2004/e0404tfr/crosstable.htm

And in other news, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

PS: Yeh, Chris's FIDE rating should be much higher than his Australian one. But we've worked out that (as things currently stand) he's going to go up 150+ points in the next ACF list anyway! He's made big steps given that he was only rated 900 two years ago. Wallis-Yachou should be interesting tomorrow night. Chris won easily when they played in the Club Championship but Nur is a strong player and could test Chris.

JGB
07-06-2004, 11:23 PM
At the end of round 6 of the BOX HILL FIDE rated ROUND ROBIN the standings of this event can be seen at
http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/e200.../crosstable.htm

The site is not there!

Or I dont get it anyway! :hmm:

eclectic
07-06-2004, 11:31 PM
The site is not there!

Or I dont get it anyway! :hmm:
http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/e2004/e0404tfr/event.htm

for the event site

click on links on left to get other info ie crosstable

eclectic

jeffrei
30-06-2004, 10:53 AM
This tournament was scheduled to finish last night...does anyone know how it wound up? Can't ask Ruperto cause he's gone to INDIA.

ursogr8
30-06-2004, 01:09 PM
This tournament was scheduled to finish last night...does anyone know how it wound up? Can't ask Ruperto cause he's gone to INDIA.

Ruperto beat Marcus after a meltdown.

jeffrei
01-07-2004, 10:54 AM
Ruperto beat Marcus after a meltdown.

Before the tournament I predicted that it would be a three horse race between Marcus Raine, Ruperto Lugo and Chris Wallis, with Nur Yachou as the dark horse. I also thought the last round pairing Raine-Lugo would probably be critical. It seems that most of this has come true! Are the final results available anywhere? Am I right in guessing that Chris and Ruperto were =1st, with Marcus outright 3rd?

Is there any convenient way of calculating the FIDE ratings that will be generated from this event? I note that some of the players might also have FIDE rating performances from the Victorian Open.

PS: Yes, I'm aware of the website http://www.fide.com/ratings/calculators.phtml. I'm just not sure how it works with these RR tournaments when a lot of the players are unrated.

ursogr8
07-07-2004, 08:28 AM
Before the tournament I predicted that it would be a three horse race between Marcus Raine, Ruperto Lugo and Chris Wallis, with Nur Yachou as the dark horse. I also thought the last round pairing Raine-Lugo would probably be critical. It seems that most of this has come true! Are the final results available anywhere? Am I right in guessing that Chris and Ruperto were =1st, with Marcus outright 3rd?

Is there any convenient way of calculating the FIDE ratings that will be generated from this event? I note that some of the players might also have FIDE rating performances from the Victorian Open.

PS: Yes, I'm aware of the website http://www.fide.com/ratings/calculators.phtml. I'm just not sure how it works with these RR tournaments when a lot of the players are unrated.

Geoff
The website is now fully updated with the results of the tournament
http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/

Barry, Bill, Kevin, Anyone
Can you help Geoff with his questions about calculating FIDE ratings?

starter