PDA

View Full Version : My one hell of a famous game!!

hitman84
08-12-2005, 04:24 AM
My one hell of a famous game!

This goes like a movie script so take a deep breath and read on.

The final round of the All India Varsity chess championship(2002).
This was a team event of four players on each team.

We were drawn to play the top seed of the event in the final round and needed two points to finish,
well only second coz to win the event we needed to blank them 4-0.
Finishing second was something big as the best our university could manage for all these years was 21st.

So what the fuss just offer them draw which I guess they would accept gladly after a rather long tourney.

The problem was that two of the players were vying for a board prize which they would get if they only win.

Some introduction to the players in our team.

Board no1: (unrated)
Myself, A stupid chess addict who hardly played any tourneys, though I used to play pretty regularly on my comp and work with my coach Dr. Fritz(don’t be mistakened it’s the famous chess software)

Board no 2: (rating-2220)
Another idiot who quit playin chess after getting two IM norms.

Board no 3: (rating-2056)
A regular chess player with some great tactical knowledge.

Board no 4: (unrated)
Good solid player.

Now our opponents:
Board no 1: (IM rating-2409)
Board no 2: (IM rating-2408)
Baord no 3: (rating-2313)
Board no 4: (rating-2256)
Is any more introduction needed!

Board no 1 & 3 were playing for a win.

The match started Board 2 & 4 were the first to finish both were drawn.
So we need a point more.

So after half an hour suddenly my pal board no 3 miscalculates and blunders a piece and within another 10 minutes the game is over.

We still need a point and I’m playin this IM who once had drawn Vishy and curses I’m playin Black.

In another 10 minutes I won !

To be honest my preparation in the najdorf line he played was simply as deep as the mariana trench.

It was a 2hours each game and I had used up just 10 minutes!
So I had become a hero!

There were more surprises awaiting in the post mortem analysis, he said the move fe6 was new which had made him uncomfortable.

I rushed back to consult my coach’s assistant ,any guesses he is known as chessbase.

Well the move was a novelty after which he showed it was a great position for black.

Wow now that’s something a novelty played over the board that worked.

I had played many games playing fe6 with fritz and it was never played before by any grand master!

So the long tourney was over,yes I had many bad memories there as I was the only fresher in the team I had a very hard time with my stupid seniors bullying me and to add insult to injury I had beaten all of them badly in the playoff for deciding the board order.It was a tiring tourney as I played the top board playing very good players.I had also drawn against the then asian junior bronze medalist.

We had big celebrations that evening as it was a double treat as our girls had finished third in the girls section. It was one hell of a party.

Now I was the man of the moment back in college when the news spread I was a hero.

Everyone were asking questions about chess but one question which I felt very uncomfortable was when they asked me if I had beaten any GM’s.
How is an urated player expected to play a GM. I got my rating after that tourney though.

This was then but now I have a better way of tackling that question. I have’nt played a GM yet but till now I have played with 7 IM’s winning four and drawing three.

So I say “I have’nt played a GM yet but I have never lost to an IM yet!”
Here is that game I have analysed myself no variations but a lot of strategy !

White - MR(IM) (2409) Black - Myself[B99]
All India Inter Varsity (9), 18.11.2002

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6 6.Bg5 {The line that was popularised by the great Garry } e6 7.f4 Be7 8.Qf3 Qc7 9.O-O-O Nbd7 10.g4 b5 11.Bxf6 Nxf6 12.g5 Nd7 13.f5 Bxg5+ 14.Kb1 Ne5 15.Qh5 Qe7 { The main line is Qd8 but i have had a lot of problems in that line fritz absolutely smashed me up. } 16.fxe6 {This line is not so good for white Ne6 is the main line.Who knows maybe he had something up his sleeve } g6 17.Qe2 fxe6 { This move has never been played atleast was'nt till 2002. 17....Be6 18.Ne6 Qe6 has been played before.So in this position I earlier had worked out that why would someone give a light square bishop without any reason making his counter part stronger.Further I get to control the strategic square d5.Assessing the position I'm a pawn up though my pawn structure aint that great,slowly but surely i can reach an endgame where my king side majority can be converted to a dangerous distant passer,also white's d4 pawn aint that strong.The question arises how the hell would you exchange pieces with that stupid c8 bishop doin nothin.I had a plan ,for me the c8 bishop was my strongest defensive piece it is supporting both my weak pawns e6 and a6.i will bring my a8 rook via a7 to f7 where i'll double my rooks and try to infiltrate the second rank.So what about my d6 pawn that aint weak untill i have my black bishop which is now controlling a very important diagonal making life very difficult for white coz white has lost his black bishop. }18.Qg2 { Maybe just doesen know what to do he is urging to play h4 so Bh3 would spoil that idea.it is a very difficult position even i would not have been sure what to play here.Still i felt he was wasting moves. } O-O 19.Bd3 Bf6 { Thats bye bye c1–h6 diagonal i have just spotted a superb a1–h8 diagonal.with my queen on g7 i will be able to pierce through anything on that diagonal. } 20.Nce2 { Hey one of them is already retreating.Just kidding what a surprise he as spotted that if my queen comes to g7 he will be able to play Nf4 attacking my weak e6 pawn } Qg7 21.h4 Ra7 22.c3 Raf7 23.Nf4 { What a move i could'nt believe my eyes I was gonna win a piece! So is he really an IM? Well This quote came across my mind.A famous GM once said that,"Even GM's can be oversighted by a knight moving backward"poor fellow,he is still an IM hey then maybe he too can become a GM! } Nxd3 24.Nfxe6 Nf4 25.Nxg7 Nxg2 26.Nde6 Bxe6 { Ok fine now that was bad how about Bg7 with three pieces for one rook.Here is something i wanna reveal and make a confession i'm addicted to...... rooks!No actually i wanted to get rid of my c8 bishop he was a party spoiler look at him when all the pieces are partyin around,he is like that security guy at a bar. } 27.Nxe6 Re8 28.Rxd6 Be5 29.Rxa6 Rf6 30.Nc5 Rxa6 31.Nxa6 Bd6 { Honestly all this was'nt needed Whats wrong in havin some fun look at my bishop he has just found a new friend at the bar and what more she is so hooked to him that she cant think about goin elsewhere! } 32.Rd1 Re6 33.Rd5 Nxh4 { finally the door is open two more guys can join the party! } 34.Rxb5 Nf3 35.Rb6 Kf7 36.Rb7+ Re7 37.Rb6 Rd7 { Now here is sometin interesting goin on this rook guy comes tries to Pick her knight up and away but guess what my rook guy comes and says she's goin nowhere buddy!cant you see how hooked up they are! } 38.e5 { He is tryin everythin to distract my bishop guyHey true love cant be disrupted by a Pawn! } Nxe5 39.Nb8 Bxb8 40.Rxb8 { That's it they are off. Time for some action off the board and in the bed i mean in the box.} g5 41.a4 g4 42.Rb4 g3 43.Rf4+ Ke6 44.Rf1 g2 45.Rg1 Rg7 46.a5 Nf3 47.Rxg2 Rxg2 48.a6 Rg7 49.b4 Kd6

So what’s so famous about this game the other IM in the team was so impressed by my analysis in the post mortem ,when I next saw him he came up to me and said he had shown my game to GM Levon Aronian and he was impressed too. Now wait a minute , why did u show him my game and how do you know him?

He said , We are good friends as they compete often in the junior circuits. I should have known as this guy was always winning the national junior title here.

Well he said he just wanted to know about the strength of Indian players so he showed the game where an unrated beat an IM.

What a dick I thought ,is it that a chess player has to have some stupid title to know how good he is? What about the players who enjoy the game at clubs, bars ,under the trees or even space remember what the Russians did.

That’s all right but who is this GM Levon Aronian , I went back and tried to find out about him , I got this piece of information he was from Armenia now a resident of Germany. Wow now that’s cool my game went to the far
corners of Armenia!

Look how times change take up the name Levon Aronian now and they say the next world champ for sure!
Nothing has changed my side though I still play only two, or three tourneys a year coz of my studies but still enjoy the game with my fritzy .

Here is something I believe will make you a better chess player,

Remember the movie A beautiful mind where John Nash says “classes will dull your mind”

Here’s my quote “Opening books will blunt your mind” not a good one, sorry that was the best I could come up with!

Play and learn from your mistakes and you can only do that if you enjoy playing!

THE END

It would be wonderful to look into your views about the game.

Alan Shore
08-12-2005, 11:59 AM
That's a nice game, congrats on the win. I really enjoyed that commentary too, haha.

Desmond
16-02-2012, 09:11 AM

that Caesar guy
16-02-2012, 03:31 PM
This was only the greatest commentary of all time. The grammatical innaccuracies only made it better :D

Nice game, too :P

Garrett
16-02-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm amazed that such a game and a story attracted a big one response !!

Agent Smith
17-02-2012, 06:44 AM
Yes - nice post and game. Perhaps should add the line 24.Nxd3 Bxd4 25.cxd4 Bb7 26.Rhe1 into analysis.
I guess hitman84 has moved on.
Seems he was from India http://www.chesschat.com.au/showthread.php?t=3374
I couldn't find this game in a DB. Perhaps it's on the web somewhere ?

ElevatorEscapee
19-02-2012, 09:40 AM
...I guess hitman84 has moved on...

hitman84 posted a number of good chess game and training related threads/posts and got people talking about chess.

I vaguely recall he stopped posting soon after someone mentioned that he was a "hoax" in the shoutbox. (I am not sure what kind of hoax he was supposed to be). :eh:

MantaMan
19-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Interesting game - shame hitman has apparently disappeared.

MM

DogLover
19-02-2012, 04:11 PM
hitman84 posted a number of good chess game and training related threads/posts and got people talking about chess.

I vaguely recall he stopped posting soon after someone mentioned that he was a "hoax" in the shoutbox. (I am not sure what kind of hoax he was supposed to be). :eh:

Can anyone establish with certainty that the game was actually played? It seems like a hoax to me.I doubt even Kasparov was able to do stuff like that when unrated.

Kevin Bonham
19-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Can anyone establish with certainty that the game was actually played? It seems like a hoax to me.I doubt even Kasparov was able to do stuff like that when unrated.

here (http://chessgames.com/~Open_Defence?kpage=29) hitman84 gives his identity as TS Pradeep and the opponent as Marani Rajendran Venkatesh and links to the game at http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1382201 .

Venkatesh and Pradeep indeed both played FIDE-rated games in 2002 at which time Venkatesh's rating was indeed 2409 (Oct 2002). Venkatesh was 2408 the month before. Pradeep indeed was unrated coming on to the FIDE list at 2010 in October 2002.

The report here (http://hindu.com/2002/11/20/stories/2002112006561800.htm) confirms that Venkatesh played in the tournament and confirms hitman's account that the final round score was 2-2 between the team finishing first and the team finishing second. And then this (http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2002-11-26/bangalore/27308989_1_phd-biet-three-students) confirms that Pradeep was in the team that came second.

So not absolute confirmation (in particular not that they played this specific game, since games from the event seem hard to find) but apart from either a one-point error or a one-period error in the rating given for Venkatesh everything checks out that I have been easy to check and I believe the game is genuine. I don't see anything that is unbelievable about it either. IMs can have off days and 2000-ish players can have their days of brilliance - just not consistently!

It is easy to make suspicious statements, but one should research them.

DogLover
19-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Thanks for that Kevin.I am genuinely impressed by the guy and game and sorry that he is no longer posting here.He must be very talented in chess.

Agent Smith
19-02-2012, 10:03 PM
No - not a hoax. His comments / game seem very genuine to me.
EDIT - Thanks KB.

WhiteElephant
19-02-2012, 11:13 PM
I remember hitman, he was a very entertaining poster, too bad he didn't stay long.

Kevin Bonham
19-02-2012, 11:33 PM
Looks like he joined here at the same time as he joined chessgames, and remained active there until mid-2009.

He was actually here on and off for a year. In 2006 he played some corro games against Rybka operated by Garvinator.

here (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=4832)

here (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=4848)

Unfortunately he did not quite complete either game.

Agent Smith
20-02-2012, 05:50 AM
Here's his 11 games from chessgames