PDA

View Full Version : Publicity

Dozy
07-12-2005, 07:12 PM
Have thought about this a fair bit - I do agree with Matt that there is no such thing as bad publicity. There is no doubt that it will have raised the profile of chess in the same way as sports stars on calendars. If they can do it then why not chess girls?I apologise for hijacking your quote from the Beauty Contest thread, Jenni, but it struck a chord.

There's a perception that we need to do something spectacular to publicise chess. I don't believe that's so. Chess has a mystique of its own and if we take opportunities to present it the right way we're going to get plenty of publicity.

At Rooty Hill we've had five news items published in the past 15 months (Mt Druitt-St Marys Standard (3 times), Blacktown Sun, Blacktown Advocate, Hills Shire Times) as well as a monthly column in the RSL's magazine. (The latest two were published today and were nothing more than the results of our club championship. You can see them on http://www.rootyhillchess.org/news051207a.htm and http://www.rootyhillchess.org/news051207s.htm)

It certainly seems to have made a difference to our membership. There's been a steady trickle (can a trickle be steady, RW?) of people into the club over the past twelve months. Some stay, some don't, but at least they know where we are.

I'm very much an amateur but my experience (I've also publicised a community radio station, a junior soccer club, and believe-it-or-not a square dance callers' association) is that journos love to get material especially if they don't have to do too much work with it. After that you only need to fluke a quiet news week and you can strike the jackpot. (I had a phone call from the Standard in September: "It's a quiet week. What's happening in chess?")

A lot of what you send in will find its way to the WPB but a percentage will get through.

My point? There's a big opportunity for promotion out there and it seems to work very well at club level working within your local community.

TCN does what he can but I'm willing to bet he finds it almost impossible to get people to send him material he can use. (That's the norm.)

Let's throw the idea around a bit. Who's got an opinion?

jenni
08-12-2005, 10:40 AM
We get a lot of publicity for chess in the ACT, but we do find we need an "angle". When I first started running the Primary schools comps in Canberra in 1997 it was pretty easy to get publicity, as we were a novelty. We even had TV stations come out and take footage of the kids and we often got a spot on the news.

I have noticed it is harder to get publicity now - you often have to have an angle. e.g. a very young child or a bit of controversy about something works well. Even when reporters turn up to Doeberl they often want to get the oldest and youngest person in the room and put them together in a photo.

However it is possible to get coverage - Libby is our publicity officer and she has a policy of sending out a media release as often as she can think of anything to put on it - weekly in some periods and at least monthly in others. You really just don't know when someone is going to pick up on it.

e.g. having had no response for some months she was feeling a bit despondent and then out of the blue the Canberra Times phoned up and wanted to do a double page colour spread on chess and was there anything we had coming up they could cover.

Similarly the Canberra Times some months ago started a "personal best" weekely supplement. It was aimed at junior sport and varied from 4 to 8 pages of coverage of all junior sports. Once again she sent off media releases weekly, with some quite interesting things in them. Once again totally ignored and then once again out of the blue a phone call, saying they were a bit quiet and was there any chess they could cover?

I think most chess clubs/events look at media releases as a rare event. Perhaps one sent off when there is some super news item that they want covered. However I think it should be something that is done regularly - even if it all appears a waste of time, it is creating a feeling that chess exists and things are happening.

I know we come back to the lack of personnel problem. However it doesn't have to be time intensive. It is pretty easy to build up an e-mail distribution list and the media release can be quite short. (Libby's tend to be long, which will be no surprise to people on the BB :) )

We actually have a lot of chess activity in Australia, but no-one knows about it. :wall:

Of course something like the WBC does get mega coverage - we may not like headlines like Soft Pawn etc, but I bet more people have read about chess in their newspapers in the last few weeks than they have done for years. It certainly beats having to spell the word chess, which I had to do on numerous occasions when setting up the Primary school comp and talking to school front offices. :)

Garvinator
14-01-2006, 09:56 AM
Hey Dozy,

This just appeared on chessbase.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2862

Topalov doing an interview in playboy magazine.

ElevatorEscapee
14-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Didn't Kasparov do an interview for that same magazine back in the late 1980s?

Trent Parker
14-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Purchase it for the Articles! For Sure!

:whistle:

Davidflude
14-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Purchase it for the Articles! For Sure!

:whistle:

For articles - "The New Yorker" Their standard of prose is awesome.

For pictures of women "Paris Vogue". The women look better with clothes on then
the ones with clothes off in other magazines.

Dozy
15-01-2006, 08:49 AM
Hey Dozy,

This just appeared on chessbase.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2862

Topalov doing an interview in playboy magazine.Thanks GG. I get Bulgarian press reports about Topalov from the Sofia Press Agency but they obviously missed that one -- or perhaps they don't like their sportsman-of-the-year to be associated with a girlie magazine.

(By the way, in case anybody is interested and doesn't yet know about the facility, Google Alerts will send you daily press clippings on any subject or player you're interested in. It's a freebie.)

That Playboy pic of the chess pieces alongside the topless girls is full of potential, though. Maybe as well as doing a simul and junior tournament for Blacktown's Centenary Games our club could add a Strip Chess tourney in a major shopping centre. We'd have to sort out the rules and terminology (eg, en passant may well become en voyeur) and we'd need to define what happens when you get mated.

It could transform chess from a mind game to a spectator sport!

Of course, there's always the down side {:-(
Most chess players are blokes!

- - - - - - - -

On a more sensible note, I received this email on Friday from the new editor of the Mt.Druitt-St.Marys Standard.

My name is (--snip--) and I am the acting editor for the Mt Druitt Standard newspaper.

The purpose of this email is to signal my interest in providing overage of your club's activities, with an eye to an occasional story about your best, longest serving, newest or youngest player.

My point is that chess is interesting to both journalists and their readers and, if you want to try it in your district, this will give you some idea of what the editor may be looking for.

(PS -- Ground Control to STML: When are we gunna get our smiley's back?)

Trent Parker
22-01-2006, 10:14 AM
Laura Moylan will be doing an interview that airs on 2UE today at 5.10 approximately.....

arosar
31-01-2006, 09:52 AM
http://chessville.com/Editorials/MarketingChessInC21.htm

AR

Spiny Norman
31-01-2006, 11:58 AM
Did a photo shoot today for the local Leader Newspaper (we're running a blindfold simul weekend after next). I visited their office with our Media Release and they welcomed me with open arms. Will be interesting to see how the article comes out. I will post a copy here if I can when it gets published.

Does anyone here have "contacts" with either Herald-Sun, The Age or the Australian? I might as well send our press release to them as well and see if they'll pick it up. PM me details if you can help.

arosar
31-01-2006, 12:02 PM
Does anyone here have "contacts" with either Herald-Sun, The Age or the Australian? I might as well send our press release to them as well and see if they'll pick it up. PM me details if you can help.

Isn't PB a journo for The Aussie?

AR

Spiny Norman
31-01-2006, 12:06 PM
Isn't PB a journo for The Aussie?
PB = ?

Peter Ballard from here? If so I will forward him the press release.

Alan Shore
31-01-2006, 12:08 PM
PB = ?

I believe he means Paul Broekhuyse

auriga
31-01-2006, 12:09 PM
PB = ?

no, paul broekhuyse.

Spiny Norman
31-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Gotcha ... thanks folks ... I'll email Paul ...

Spiny Norman
06-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Did a photo shoot today for the local Leader Newspaper (we're running a blindfold simul weekend after next). I visited their office with our Media Release and they welcomed me with open arms. Will be interesting to see how the article comes out. I will post a copy here if I can when it gets published.
Doesn't scan at all well, so I will have to describe it.

Front-page treatment. Large photo of yours truly peeking out from under a blindfold, chess pieces in the foreground (it would take a real psycho to work out the position, but for the uninitiated its a line of the classical Ruy Lopez). The story reads:

Out-of-sight challenge with master
(hopefully people will confuse me for the master and I'll get some much-needed respect)

FOR most of us, just trying to win a game of chess is a challenge, but imagine trying to play 12 games at once, while blindfolded.
It's a challenge that chess expert Jonathan Sarfati will take up when he faces players from Lilydale and Croydon this Saturday.
In the special simultaneous exhibition, Dr Sarfati will have his eyes covered, whilt the moves of his opponents are read to him.
He will have to remember the possitions of 32 chess pieces for each of the 12 boards.
And Croydon Chess Club president Stephen Frost (pictured right) of Lilydale said Dr Sarfati would probably win most of the games.
All are welcome to the free event at 4pm on February 11 at the Croydon Christian Church, 2/34 Research Drive, Croydon South.
For more information, visit www.croydonchess.com.

Garvinator
06-02-2006, 09:40 PM
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2904

arosar
06-02-2006, 09:45 PM
And let me say thanks to Dr Paxman! Truly a collaborative effort.

AR

Spiny Norman
07-02-2006, 09:17 AM
Doesn't scan at all well
Managed to get a scan done at work:
http://www.croydonchess.com/images/FrontPageNews.jpg

PHAT
07-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Managed to get a scan done at work:

Christ you're an ugly bastard! Put that rag back over your head.

pax
07-02-2006, 12:57 PM
And let me say thanks to Dr Paxman! Truly a collaborative effort.

AR

Well knowing Chessbase, we wouldn't have got past 1st base had it not been for the photos, so thankyou closet GM!! Watch your blog for the spike in hits from Chessbase!

arosar
07-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Yeah....I was looking at it last night. There's a lot of referrals from chessbase.com

AR

Spiny Norman
07-02-2006, 02:23 PM
Christ you're an ugly bastard! Put that rag back over your head.
:lol:

arosar
01-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Have any of your seen the NSWJCL magazine? Jesus, it must be the most professional chess publication in Australia. Glossy pages, colourful, very well designed overall. I was so surprised when I saw one the other day. Well done to them.

AR

Spiny Norman
20-03-2006, 06:46 PM
I have an opportunity to be interviewed on community television here in Melbourne .... Channel 31.

Any [serious] suggestions for content/information that I could push would be welcomed.

Obviously I will be pushing local clubs (Croydon Chess, Ranges Chess) but if Chess Victoria or the ACF want me to spruik anything I am more than happy to oblige.

arosar
20-03-2006, 06:50 PM
The friggin Olympiad man!

AR

jase
20-03-2006, 07:25 PM
Have any of your seen the NSWJCL magazine? Jesus, it must be the most professional chess publication in Australia. Glossy pages, colourful, very well designed overall. I was so surprised when I saw one the other day. Well done to them.

Quentin Reitmans does the magazine now, and does a great job. I agree with you - it looks great. He's a professional graphic designer (he creates the publicity material for his beloved Sydney Roosters on the side), a top bloke, and handy with the chess pieces too.

Spiny Norman
20-03-2006, 07:43 PM
The friggin Olympiad man!
Indeed!

Any other suggestions? My list, assuming I can fit it all in to the interview (no idea yet how long it will go for) currently covers:

- Croydon Chess
-- starting the club
-- community, council and government assistance

- Other local clubs
-- Ranges Chess Club
-- Box Hill Chess Club
-- Dandenong Chess Club

- Upcoming tournament
-- King Of The Mountain (juniors, 6th May)

- Chess in Australia
-- Chess Victoria affiliation
-- Australian Chess Federation

- Next Olympiad
-- Australia's international ranking
-- when and where

jase
20-03-2006, 08:08 PM
Can I ask a couple of things?

1. What is your objective/purpose? :idea:
2. What will you be wearing? :eek:

Rincewind
20-03-2006, 10:28 PM
- Other local clubs
-- Ranges Chess Club
-- Box Hill Chess Club
-- Dandenong Chess Club

How about Elwood or MCC?

Spiny Norman
21-03-2006, 12:40 PM
Can I ask a couple of things?
1. What is your objective/purpose? :idea:
2. What will you be wearing? :eek:
1. basic publicity ... but i didn't call them, they called me ... :uhoh:
2. a little off-the-shoulder floral number ... :eek:

Spiny Norman
21-03-2006, 12:41 PM
How about Elwood or MCC?
I understand the show is an "Eastern Suburbs" focused show ... so probably not appropriate ... but I will check. I figure that if I point people to CV then those not near Croydon et al can find info at the CV site.

Libby
21-03-2006, 01:08 PM
This was us on ABC Stateline (replaces the 7.30 Report on Fridays)

http://www.abc.net.au/stateline/act/content/2005/s1510999.htm

The whole story ran very well but please don't pillory anyone totally for the actual content - the ABC chooses to cut and paste as they wish :)

Just as an example of what they asked & were interested in Frosty.

(BTW - a parent was very sympathetic in suggesting to me that I mustn't have known in advance that I would be on TV as I hadn't put on any make-up :rolleyes: )

Spiny Norman
25-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Recorded the segment this morning. ~15 minutes. We set up a table with a standard board/pieces/clock and had myself and Jared playing a 1-min "hourglass" time control game (i.e. we both start with 1 minute, as I am thinking it is taking 1 second of my clock and adding it to his, etc).

I talked about origins (and avoided using the words creation, intelligent design or evolution) of chess, a little about our club, how the chess clock works (didn't explain that at all well I suspect!) ... all whilst playing the game against Jared.

Hope it all turns out well. At least I won the game (on time!).