PDA

View Full Version : HOW to choose the best ACF BB post in 2003?

chesslover
02-02-2004, 11:10 PM
has paul come up with how he is going to enable the best post of 2003 to be chosen?

If not can he or Jeo run a binding poll, whilst the nominations are being received on how it should be done?

There are basically just 3 sensible options for choosing the best 2003 post, with variations within these 3 groups

1. A panel chooses the final 5 nominees from the candiate posts, and then selects the best BB post for 2003 by itself

2. A panel chooses the final 5 nominess from the candiate posts, and then has a BB poll to enable the BB members to choose the best post of 2003. This could be just making the final post with the most votes the winner, or like American Idol/ football grand finals, having the top 2 vote gatherers run off against each other for BB votes

3. BB members choose a final 5 nominees by voting for the candidate posts through a series of polls. Then the BB members have a BB poll to choose the best BB post for 2003 - either via the post getting the most votes, or a final 5 runoff

Paul S
02-02-2004, 11:32 PM
2. A panel chooses the final 5 nominess from the candiate posts, and then has a BB poll to enable the BB members to choose the best post of 2003. This could be just making the final post with the most votes the winner, or like American Idol/ football grand finals, having the top 2 vote gatherers run off against each other for BB votes

This seems the most sensible/practical to me.

The "panel" which I presume would consist of ACF Council members (or maybe just Paul B and George?) decide on what they think is the best 5 chess related BB posts in 2003. After all, its the ACF putting up the (albeit small) prize money.

BB members then vote for which of the 5 they think is best. Would need to have some method of making sure people don't vote twice (eg use different aliases). If this is too difficult to enforce, then I would be happy with an (ACF) "panel" deciding which is the best BB post for 2003.

If 2 posts are tied at the end, then have a "tie break" whereby voting is done again with just the 2 posts in question (ie the other 3 posts are eliminated).

Kevin Bonham
03-02-2004, 12:55 AM
If not can he or Jeo run a binding poll, whilst the nominations are being received on how it should be done?

Any poll is open to people signing up new members and voting under their accounts. Even if you restrict it to those who signed up before end/12/03, some posters still had hydras on the old board. Voting by email to someone like Paul, giving real name, might be better but there's no foolproof method.

1. A panel chooses the final 5 nominees from the candiate posts, and then selects the best BB post for 2003 by itself

If the panel was going to do this there would be no need to shortlist unless it wanted to.

2. A panel chooses the final 5 nominess from the candiate posts, and then has a BB poll to enable the BB members to choose the best post of 2003.

In principle I like this one best - if it can be done fairly.

chesslover
03-02-2004, 07:10 PM
This seems the most sensible/practical to me.

The "panel" which I presume would consist of ACF Council members (or maybe just Paul B and George?) decide on what they think is the best 5 chess related BB posts in 2003. After all, its the ACF putting up the (albeit small) prize money.

BB members then vote for which of the 5 they think is best. Would need to have some method of making sure people don't vote twice (eg use different aliases). If this is too difficult to enforce, then I would be happy with an (ACF) "panel" deciding which is the best BB post for 2003.

If 2 posts are tied at the end, then have a "tie break" whereby voting is done again with just the 2 posts in question (ie the other 3 posts are eliminated).

I note that in this new BB, you can have upto 10 optiosn for polls, instead of the 5 that existed in the old BB version - so you can thus have 10 posts for voting in the final

Yes, on reflection I too think that the panel shortlisting the finalists is better, and then having a poll for BB members to choose is a better system, than having posts grouped in batches of 10 for voting by BB memebers, with the winner going to the final 10. By giving the choice of 10 by the panel, rather than 5, this is more likely to take into account the widespread range of posts that have been submitted, and cater to all tastes.

I however would like that if there was a final 10 posts chosen, and so farmore than 20 have been sumbitted, then teh winning post should have at least 50%+1 of the BB votes, or there should be a runoff between the top 2 vote gatherers. That is what happens in Russian Presidential elections

Oepty
04-02-2004, 03:01 PM
I find the whole idea of awarding prizes for the best posts for 2003 as totally stupid and do not support the idea at all. I really doubt that I have written anything that would justify a post of mine being included in the process, but even if I had I would not want it to be included. Just ignore my posts please.
Scott
edit: I voted other because I don't want a decision to be made

paulb
05-02-2004, 10:35 AM
Nominations close February 14. Then nominations will be numbered, and voters can simply post a vote for the relevant post on this BB. There mnay be too many for a poll. But There won't be many votes/voters so it won't be a problem.

And to answer another question, self-nomination of posts is permissible.

In relation to ChessLover's NECG thread, this has been removed because it incites people to hassle NECG, and this is not in the ACF's interest, NECG's interest, or the interests of Australian Juniors. I don't doubt that it was posted with the best of intentions, but neither do I doubt that it's a grave error of judgment. It's not every day that someone hands the ACF a gift of $7000 a year to help juniors, and it would be a disaster if they withdrew that because people were ringing up and hassling them.

skip to my lou
05-02-2004, 10:59 AM
I can make a web poll hold more than 10 if needed.

paulb
05-02-2004, 11:24 AM
Sounds good.

PaulS: ACF doesn't have time to set up panels for something like this.

Ian Rout
05-02-2004, 11:25 AM
I find the whole idea of awarding prizes for the best posts for 2003 as totally stupid and do not support the idea at all. I really doubt that I have written anything that would justify a post of mine being included in the process, but even if I had I would not want it to be included. Just ignore my posts please.
Scott
edit: I voted other because I don't want a decision to be made

I have also said previously that I think that having this competition is silly so I won't go through it again (though if I thought the competition was worthwhile I would nominate my post saying why I think it isn't).

However looking at all the posts about the posts and about choosing the method to choose the best posts I think Matthew might be inspired to make another post about incest.

chesslover
05-02-2004, 04:57 PM
Nominations close February 14. Then nominations will be numbered, and voters can simply post a vote for the relevant post on this BB. There mnay be too many for a poll. But There won't be many votes/voters so it won't be a problem.

And to answer another question, self-nomination of posts is permissible.

In relation to ChessLover's NECG thread, this has been removed because it incites people to hassle NECG, and this is not in the ACF's interest, NECG's interest, or the interests of Australian Juniors. I don't doubt that it was posted with the best of intentions, but neither do I doubt that it's a grave error of judgment. It's not every day that someone hands the ACF a gift of $7000 a year to help juniors, and it would be a disaster if they withdrew that because people were ringing up and hassling them.

1. Sounds like a good idea indeed

2. thanks for the clarfication on the self nomination, and the fact that it okay. Too many authoritarian people were taking your name in vain, and making silly rules and restrictions in your name just to push their irrational views and impose it on others

3. I disagree with your deletion of the NECG post but accept your decision, as I believe that you thought it was a fair decision. I appealed that, and Kevin told me the reason and again although I disagree I accept the verdict of the umpire

chesslover
05-02-2004, 04:59 PM
the features in your BB that enable a poll of more than 10 is very good

under the old BB version the liimit was 5 right?

Kevin Bonham
05-02-2004, 05:08 PM

If there's a need for a vote in person (if polls were impractical) I would prefer a secret ballot rather than people having to state their vote publicly.

I doubt polls will be impractical though.

ursogr8
13-02-2004, 11:48 AM
If there's a need for a vote in person (if polls were impractical) I would prefer a secret ballot rather than people having to state their vote publicly.

I doubt polls will be impractical though.

Yes, I think a secret ballot is advisable.

CL
BTW this thread has been well managed by you. Keep up the good work.
starter

skip to my lou
13-02-2004, 12:06 PM
the features in your BB that enable a poll of more than 10 is very good

under the old BB version the liimit was 5 right?
No the old BB the limit was 10 aswell.

ursogr8
14-02-2004, 07:35 PM
No the old BB the limit was 10 aswell.

K

I notice that new polls show the message
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Can we see these choices and format somewhere?

regards
starter

ursogr8
14-02-2004, 07:38 PM
CL

or PSike

When does the voting start?

Kevin Bonham
14-02-2004, 08:12 PM
Nominations are still open for another few hours I believe.

skip to my lou
14-02-2004, 08:19 PM
K

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

regards
starter
It means people can see the results and the results are not hidden from public.

Bill Gletsos
14-02-2004, 11:02 PM
K

regards
starter
When you create a thread with a poll then making it a public poll with the way people voted is an option.

ursogr8
15-02-2004, 07:52 AM
When you create a thread with a poll then making it a public poll with the way people voted is an option.

Bill, Jeo

I appreciate the responses you made to my question. Your statements are both correct. But they do not go close to the question.

BUSINESS ANALYSIS 101

Ask five questions in a meeting
1 Who
2 Why
3 What
4 When
5 How

I was asking the fifth. I would like to know how to see the posters voted. Mechanically, how do I do that?

starter

Bill Gletsos
15-02-2004, 11:29 AM
Bill, Jeo

I appreciate the responses you made to my question. Your statements are both correct. But they do not go close to the question.

BUSINESS ANALYSIS 101

1 Who
2 Why
3 What
4 When
5 How

I was asking the fifth. I would like to know how to see the posters voted. Mechanically, how do I do that?

starter
I assumed you knew that beacuse the answer is trivially obvious.

If you have have not voted in the poll then just hit the View Poll Results and the results are displayed. In public polls how people voted is displayed.

chesslover
15-02-2004, 05:21 PM
Bill, Jeo

BUSINESS ANALYSIS 101

1 Who
2 Why
3 What
4 When
5 How

starter

When you start a poll, the person who starts the poll can determine if this is to be a "secret" poll, or if it is to be a "public" poll. You can tick the option when you decide to create a poll

In a "secret" poll, you will know the results, but will not know who voted for which option. In a public poll, in addition to knowing the poll results, you will be able to see who voted for which option. It will also give a warning that it is a public poll, so if you do not want people to know how you voted, you can choose not to take part in the poll

I prefer it to be a secret poll

ursogr8
15-02-2004, 07:14 PM
When you start a poll, the person who starts the poll can determine if this is to be a "secret" poll, or if it is to be a "public" poll. You can tick the option when you decide to create a poll

In a "secret" poll, you will know the results, but will not know who voted for which option. In a public poll, in addition to knowing the poll results, you will be able to see who voted for which option. It will also give a warning that it is a public poll, so if you do not want people to know how you voted, you can choose not to take part in the poll

I prefer it to be a secret poll

CL

You are as informative as ever. But just for the moment you are dealing with someone who needs to be told exactly how to see the poll result. Which button do I push to see how Bill, for example, voted in any one of the polls you created a week or so ago?

tks
starer

ursogr8
15-02-2004, 07:20 PM
I assumed you knew that beacuse the answer is trivially obvious.

If you have have not voted in the poll then just hit the View Poll Results and the results are displayed. In public polls how people voted is displayed.

Bill
I have to report that the answer is not trivially obvious to me. When I hit View Poll Results all I get is an aggregate score for each question. And yet the dialogue box before I vote says

I repeat the question.

For example; how do I see if you voted and what you voted for on the poll on this thread?

starter

Bill Gletsos
15-02-2004, 08:01 PM
Bill
I have to report that the answer is not trivially obvious to me. When I hit View Poll Results all I get is an aggregate score for each question. And yet the dialogue box before I vote says

I repeat the question.

For example; how do I see if you voted and what you voted for on the poll on this thread?

starter
I still dont see what your problem is.
I assume you are just not looking in the right spot.
The poll on the australian teams is a public poll.
If you click on view poll results then under the colored bars is the names of the people that voted for that particular option.

If you still cannot see the results then I cant help you.

chesslover
15-02-2004, 08:48 PM
CL

You are as informative as ever. But just for the moment you are dealing with someone who needs to be told exactly how to see the poll result. Which button do I push to see how Bill, for example, voted in any one of the polls you created a week or so ago?

tks
starer

Thank you Starter for your kind words. I do my best to be helpful and informative to others

In relation to the polls created by Bill or me earlier, you cannot see how people voted as it was NOT a public poll. Hence whilst you can see what the poll results are, you cannot see who voted for which option.

In the last 2 polls I created (paid CEO and best club team in Aust polls) I created them as public polls, as I was experimenting on how to use the public poll option. For the record, I prefer secret polls and any other polls I initiate will not be public polls

To see who voted in the public polls, all you do is to double click on the agrregate number count. ie in the CEO poll, it shows that it is 3 for and 7 against. If you either click on 3 or 7, it will show who in this BB voted for which option.

In other polls, as it is not a public poll, you cannot see how others like Bill or me voted. However you can possibly guess, how we voted based on our posts in these issues :) :lol:

ursogr8
15-02-2004, 09:53 PM
I still dont see what your problem is.
I assume you are just not looking in the right spot.
The poll on the australian teams is a public poll.
If you click on view poll results then under the colored bars is the names of the people that voted for that particular option.

If you still cannot see the results then I cant help you.

Bill
I followed CL's instructions for a PUBLIC poll (for the first time for me) and lo and behold I can now see all on each PP. So, was obviously dependent on viewing once, and then some paramter in the profile re-set for all PP. Thanks for your patience.
starter

Bill Gletsos
15-02-2004, 10:08 PM
Bill
I followed CL's instructions for a PUBLIC poll (for the first time for me) and lo and behold I can now see all on each PP. So, was obviously dependent on viewing once, and then some paramter in the profile re-set for all PP. Thanks for your patience.
starter
Actually starter it works differently in public posts depending on whether you have voted in the poll or not.
If you voted in the poll then you need to follow CL's advice and click on the aggregate number count.

However if you did not vote in the poll you need to click on view poll results. In that case you get the voters names under the colored bars. You cannot click on the aggregate number in this circumstance.

chesslover
15-02-2004, 10:28 PM
Actually starter it works differently in public posts depending on whether you have voted in the poll or not.
If you voted in the poll then you need to follow CL's advice and click on the aggregate number count.

However if you did not vote in the poll you need to click on view poll results. In that case you get the voters names under the colored bars. You cannot click on the aggregate number in this circumstance.

Yes - Bill is right

Itis only if you vote in a public poll, that you click on the aggregate numbers. If you did not vote, it will not work.

Also am not sure if a "secret" poll is really "secret" - I think the mods and admin may be able to view who voted for what, or is that access only for admins? :confused:

skip to my lou
15-02-2004, 11:15 PM
Admins can see who voted for what.

ursogr8
16-02-2004, 06:54 AM

Tks Bill, CL
Now Ok for me.
starter