PDA

View Full Version : FIDE January 2006 Ratings

Rhubarb
01-12-2005, 09:01 AM
Reports for the following nine tournaments have been submitted to FIDE for inclusion in the January list:

1. Autumn Open, Dandenong
2. Premier Grade, Dandenong
3. Ruth Coxhill Memorial, Gold Coast
4. Victorian Championship, Melbourne
5. Victorian Reserves, Melbourne
6. NSW Championship, Sydney
7. Respini Tournament, Perth
8. Ford Memorial Open, Sydney
9. Elwood Bendigo Bank Championship, Melbourne

I will send a copy of the individual reports to organisers and players in the next day or two (and in many cases, introduce myself :) ). There will be a period of about a week or so for the submission of any corrections.

Sadly, the Victorian Championship Qualifying Tournament No.1 round-robin of 11 players was unable to be included as it only had two - rather than the requisite four - FIDE rated players at the starting date of the tournament. My understanding from Chess Victoria is that there was always going to be a question mark over whether this third tournament would be rateable, and wasn't advertised as a sure thing.

Also, I would like to thank my predecessor, Gary Bekker, for the tremendous amount of work he has done for the past 15 years administering FIDE ratings in Australia. Gary will continue as Oceania Zone President and is an invaluable source of knowledge for all things FIDE.

Regards,
Greg Canfell
FIDE Ratings Officer
ACF

Frank Walker
01-12-2005, 05:07 PM
How many games must one have to play to acquire a FIDE rating my son has played in one other than this but only against 3 or 4 fide rated players

Rhubarb
01-12-2005, 11:09 PM
How many games must one have to play to acquire a FIDE rating my son has played in one other than this but only against 3 or 4 fide rated players
You need a total of at least 9 games in 'blocks' of at least 3 games against FIDE rated players in a FIDE rated Swiss system tournament - the rules are considerably more complicated for round robins. Given that FIDE keeps lowering the floor for a listed rating (it will be 1401 from January onwards), any score of at least 1/3 against FIDE rated players in a FIDE rated Swiss tournament is almost guaranteed to gain a block towards a FIDE rating.

If you could PM me your son's name and the tournament you refer to, I could provide you with more details.

Regards,
Greg