owen watkin
17-11-2005, 04:30 PM
Is any one using Firefox?

What do you think of it?

Rincewind
17-11-2005, 04:49 PM
Is any one using Firefox?

What do you think of it?

Yes. I use it a lot and like lots about it. However not all websites are firefox-friendly and revert to IE for those.

Chess Chat is firefox-friendly and so causes no issue. :)

arosar
17-11-2005, 06:42 PM
Woohoo! Who doesn't love tabbing?

AR

pax
20-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Unfortunately it's a fact of life that you need multiple browsers to comfortably view the internet these days. Each browser interprets even very basic pages differently, and many sites are tuned to one browser or another.

I wouldn't consider any non-tabbed browser for day-to-day use. Firefox is first choice, and I have also looked at Opera (which is pretty good, and now without adbars - but I rejected for some weird object alignment behaviour). IE is necessary to view some content, but is insecure, and non-tabbed.

Aaron Bellette
20-11-2005, 09:06 PM
Yes. I use it a lot and like lots about it. However not all websites are firefox-friendly and revert to IE for those.

Chess Chat is firefox-friendly and so causes no issue. :)

I use the Firefox/Thunderbird combo but I also have Netscape because it has the ability to allow you to set Firefox or IE mode for viewing of pages.

AB

Zephaniah
07-12-2005, 06:04 PM
I use the Firefox/Thunderbird combo but I also have Netscape because it has the ability to allow you to set Firefox or IE mode for viewing of pages.

AB

or you could install IE Tab (http://ietab.mozdev.org/) for Firefox. It lets you load a particular tab using IE as the rendering engine, and even set certain sites to always display in IE.

Rincewind
07-12-2005, 06:30 PM
or you could install IE Tab (http://ietab.mozdev.org/) for Firefox. It lets you load a particular tab using IE as the rendering engine, and even set certain sites to always display in IE.

:thumbsup:

pax
07-12-2005, 07:48 PM

Hot Diggity, that's cool!

So now for all those users that have been hanging out for tabs in IE: it's here, and it's called Firefox.

arosar
26-12-2005, 11:07 PM
Is anyone else having problems with FF 1.5? It is sooo buggy. My themes and extensions won't behave correctly.

Also, now I can't seem to reinstall 1.0.7.

AR

Zephaniah
27-12-2005, 12:58 AM
Is anyone else having problems with FF 1.5? It is sooo buggy. My themes and extensions won't behave correctly.

AR

Haven't had any problems on windows or linux. Perhaps try exporting all your bookmarks.. deleting your profile (%AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox), un/reinstall firefox and start fresh.

sleepless
06-01-2006, 11:04 PM
I prefer Firefox to Safari (I have an iMac g5) but haven't worked out how to keep copies of the .swf chess tutorial movies from chess.fm using it. I would prefer just to use the one browser.

With Safari you just opened up the Activity file from the Window menu and option clicked the .swf file and it would download. How does it work with Firefox?

cheers!

noswonky
02-02-2006, 09:10 AM

I'm still using 1.0.6 which seems pretty stable.
I'll avoid upgrading for now based on your experience.

Zephaniah
17-02-2006, 07:55 PM

AR

You could also try Opera (http://www.opera.com/). It's got a nice interface (with this skin (http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/info/?id=3465) at least), is fast, has mouse gestures built in, runs on just about everthing. It's proper free now, no banner ads or anything like that. yeA. :)

Desmond
14-08-2006, 10:02 PM
For anyone using Firefox, you simply must install the Stumble plugin.

You select from a list things that interest you (eg jokes, board games, computers, religion and many many more) press a button, and it automatically finds you an interesting website.

You can vote thumbs up or thumbs down for each one, so that you get ones you like more often.

10/10.

MichaelBaron
15-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Overall, Firefox is clearly much safer to use than the Internet Explorer

Jesse Jager
21-08-2006, 01:42 PM
safer?

Desmond
21-08-2006, 02:48 PM
safer?
There are less security issues with it, and Mozilla are much faster to respond than microsoft is with IE when they do occur.

arosar
21-08-2006, 04:05 PM
http://www.download.com/Best-Firefox-extensions-User-favorites/1200-11745_4-5164802.html

AR

Rincewind
31-05-2007, 02:18 PM
http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/2.0.0.4/releasenotes/

Ian Murray
31-05-2007, 06:44 PM
For anyone using Firefox, you simply must install the Stumble plugin.

You select from a list things that interest you (eg jokes, board games, computers, religion and many many more) press a button, and it automatically finds you an interesting website.

You can vote thumbs up or thumbs down for each one, so that you get ones you like more often.

10/10.
Stumble is great, except later updates wiped out my Bookmarks a couple of times

So I've disabled it until I know the problem is sorted

arosar
18-06-2008, 10:38 AM
FF 3.0 now out of beta and officially released!

Download here (http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/).

AR

Basil
01-08-2008, 10:48 PM
FF 3.0 now out of beta and officially released!
Well I have finally taken the Navigator alias off my dock ('shortcuts' for PC heads) since the cessation of Netscape (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=6544).

...and I have installed Firefox 3.0.1 for mac.

...well ... this browser is fastest smarstest superest dooperist I have ever used. It surpasses Safari and Netscape by a country mile and then some. It's impossible not to feel the speed. I'd encourage any mac users not currently there to 'be there' pronto.

Denis_Jessop
02-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Well I have finally taken the Navigator alias off my dock ('shortcuts' for PC heads) since the cessation of Netscape (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=6544).

...and I have installed Firefox 3.0.1 for mac.

...well ... this browser is fastest smarstest superest dooperist I have ever used. It surpasses Safari and Netscape by a country mile and then some. It's impossible not to feel the speed. I'd encourage any mac users not currently there to 'be there' pronto.

I have been using v3 ever since it was released as a beta version and it has always behaved as well as a fully fledged one. I'm a bit puzzled about the claims made for speed of various browsers. I don't know that it much matters. I find F'fox and Opera about as fast as each other and iCab as fast as they are too. I rarely use Safari. However I am an aesthetic computer user and so find F'fox and Opera preferable as they both have skins to change their appearance. On the practical side, I have loads of bookmarked sites and I like the sidebar listing of them available in both F'fox and Opera. They also open on one click if you don't have a mouse progammed to double-click one of its buttons.

DJ

PS I also have OmniWeb which is pretty fast but cumbersome to get at your bookmarks and, for fun, Michael Gobel's Browser, a half-finished and not-to-be-completed browser half in English and half in German. He has some rather nice-looking small apps for the Mac including a neat word processor called Schreiben which can be found at MOApp http://myownapp.com/site/

Basil
03-08-2008, 02:15 PM
I have been using v3 ever since it was released as a beta version
You've been a classy (comp) guy for as long as I've known you. The main reason for my delay was my association with Netscape dating to way back when, when it was the (independent) browser and grubby Gates was flooding (and bundling) the market with substandard glitchy doodoo.

I'm a bit puzzled about the claims made for speed of various browsers.
Perhaps I am more observant or have more opportunity to benchmark. While your experience is valid, I remain quite staggered by the increase in speed of information serving and navigation with Firefox 3 - even over Firefox 2 (on intel-based macs).

I don't know that it much matters.
Speed matters a lot. IHowever if there's no discernable speed difference, then I agree, it's non issue.[/QUOTE]

Denis_Jessop
03-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Gunner

I think the issue of speed is like some others with computers - it depends what your purpose in using the computer is. In my case I don't find speed to be an issue but I can understand that other people might need it, especially in commercial use. Incidentally, since I posted, I have used OmniWeb (which is not free and which I don't often use) and pages seem to load on it rather faster than with the other browsers. Chess Chat on FF3 which I am using for this post opened quite slowly. The various browsers have different features but at present I use FF3 as my default as it seems to have the best all-round performance and features and never misbehaves.

DJ

Garvinator
04-08-2008, 11:20 PM
Since we are talking about firefox, I will take the chance to ask a help question, which I can not find in firefox help.

Currently on some pages, instead of a dollar sign, I get the euro currency sign. How do I change the euro to the Aussie Dollar?

Basil
05-08-2008, 12:32 AM
Need more info Garv. Do dollar signs appear in alternate browsers?

Garvinator
05-08-2008, 12:52 AM
Need more info Garv. Do dollar signs appear in alternate browsers?
Just tried in ie. Euro signs there too.

Basil
05-08-2008, 01:53 AM
Just tried in ie. Euro signs there too.
That indicates to me that the text in that particular site is forced 'set' to euros.

There is perhaps an embedded font within the page. Web pages can be built using one of five common font families, and set so that browsers read and display those fonts 'client side' - that is to say, the serving page says load this text in Helvetica (Arial family) and the browser (client side) says 'OK dude, I've got Helvetica' (Arial family) and I'll load it.

Browsers also have the facility to determine their own font families. For instance, you can (Garvo) can set your browser to read say all sans serif fonts (fonts without the squiggly bits such as Arial) and force them to a serif font, such as Times (not recommended).
Users who do this should be shot!

Finally, some pages are built to load a specific and particular font (which is supplied and uploaded by the serving site) and then serve it. In those instances, there are no two ways around it.
Developers who do this should be shot!

I could imagine a site not geared for currency conversion deliberately avoiding the alternate text (forcing its own font and thereby forcing the display of euros) to avoid currency conversion problems and price quoting problems.

That's the end of that hypothesis and supporting background. However, it's not the only possible reason.

Are you able to find another site (with both browsers) that displays the $ sign as you wish to see it? If so, I'm going to put $10 HCDs (100 euros) on the forced font idea.

Southpaw Jim
05-08-2008, 08:53 AM
This thread prompted me to give FF3 a go - I had switched from FF2 to Safari because FF2 seemed to take forever (relatively) to boot. No more.

The only thing I now miss from Safari is a keystroke for the home page (cmd-shift-H in Safari). On the plus side, I now have alt-tab back for changing tabs instead of the horribly awkward cmd-shift-arrow (urgh).

Garvinator
05-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Rang translink, problem solved. The default for languages seems to be English- UK. Had to change to English-Australia :uhoh:

Basil
05-08-2008, 11:14 AM
This thread prompted me to give FF3 a go - I had switched from FF2 to Safari because FF2 seemed to take forever (relatively) to boot. No more.

The only thing I now miss from Safari is a keystroke for the home page (cmd-shift-H in Safari). On the plus side, I now have alt-tab back for changing tabs instead of the horribly awkward cmd-shift-arrow (urgh).
Are you aware you can add a homepage nav icon? View> Toolbars> Customise>

Not a key stroke, I know. Just sayin'.

Southpaw Jim
05-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Yeah ta :) I'm a bit of a keystroke nut. For the same reason, I use Quicksilver a lot.

Much quicker... n n n now where's my Red Bull? :eek:

Rincewind
26-08-2008, 09:16 PM
I noticed tonight that Firefox have begun pushing out v3.0.1 to the v2 user base.

Davidflude
29-08-2008, 06:26 PM
They sent me Firefox3. I took a restart point. Installed Firefox 3. Restarted my system and Firefox hing. No worries. Rcovered from my restart point and I am back in business.

Desmond
10-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Firefox 3.1 Beta 2 released. (http://www.crn.com/software/212300355)