PDA

View Full Version : Sesha (Web Engine for Tournament Websites)

skip to my lou
31-01-2004, 09:55 PM
Sesha is a Web Engine for Chess Tournament Websites.

This is a preview of what the program Sesha will have to offer. Please give us feedback on what you would like in a chess tournament website.

With Sesha, you can maintain your own chess tournament website without any programming knowledge.

The web based control panel will allow you to modify such information as:

-- Introduction
-- News / Announcements
-- Player List
-- Results/Draws
-- Live Games
-- PGN / CBH Downloadable Games
-- Searchable Games Database
-- Bulletins
-- Venue
-- Documents (Registration, Accomodation, Map etc)
-- Sponsors (Sponsor Information, if any)
-- Contact

Sections that are automated

To update results section, all that is required is to upload relevant swiss perfect files and the results section is automatically updated.

To add a bulletin, simply upload the bulletin document (format up to you) and the bulletin section is automatically updated. Similar sections: Documents.

To publish the player list, simply upload the relevant swiss perfect files.

Sections that are manual

Contact, Venue and Sponsors require typing into a web based interface.

System Requirements for Control Panel

Both automated and manual tasks are performed through Sesha. No FTP program required. Just a browser such as Internet Explorer, Netscape or Mozilla. Yes, thats all!

Requirements for Live Games

DGT Board and ChessBase 8.0 Installed with Live Controller Extension. (DGT Live Clock optional)

Requirements for Searchable Games

ChessBase 7.0 or higher.

Availability

Available for any chess tournament in Australia.

Estimated Development Time Remaining

2 days.

skip to my lou
04-02-2004, 06:59 PM
Project put on hold until further notice.

paulb
05-02-2004, 11:30 AM
Project put on hold until further notice.
I hope you can continue with this - it sounds to me like an excellent idea that would be genuinely useful to a significant number of people.

A lot of people hold tournaments but not everyone's a web guru. Also, the info for chess tournaments is usually fairly standard and can be put it standard format, as you clearly realise.

I had toyed with the idea of a java player and an uploader so people could simply send up dated PGN files via a web interface, but it sounds like you're way ahead of all this.

I'd strongly encourage you to continue with this if you have the time.

skip to my lou
07-02-2004, 10:00 PM
I am resuming development on this program after finishing Beta 4 for Play Chess.

Cost is $100 per tournament.

If you are planning to use the program for many tournaments, I can arrange a discount.

skip to my lou
16-02-2004, 07:39 PM
New Feature:

Admins can choose an existing design or use your own design with this program! :eek:

Plug-in developed by..... me (big suprise).

About 5 Designs being developed by Charan Ingram. Charan also made the flat blue design for CK Flavors.

Hopefully I can get the program done before toukley and use toukley data as a test.

skip to my lou
18-02-2004, 08:22 PM
New feature,

Disable or Enable any page. E.g disable view games page for weekend tournaments etc.

Pillsbury
19-02-2004, 05:17 PM
It is a good idea..but requires feedback from the actual users..It is better to brainstorm the original design..and get the most out of it.

Another idea would be to wake up in the last minute and ask for a custom design and pay through the nose!

Good morning!!

Pillsbury

skip to my lou
22-02-2004, 08:37 PM
Project Cancelled.

Rincewind
22-02-2004, 08:49 PM
Project Cancelled.

Am I detecting a trend? :(

skip to my lou
22-02-2004, 09:14 PM
This is just wasting my time. I have already burnt my hand once with Australian Chess, so these chess projects are my last priority.

skip to my lou
27-12-2004, 08:19 PM
Now built to work with SP data exchange. [The MtBullerChess site is actually running on Sesha]

Spiny Norman
27-12-2004, 09:01 PM
Now built to work with SP data exchange. [The MtBullerChess site is actually running on Sesha]

I take it Sesha is a linux-powered tool (PHP perhaps?).

Is there any functionality crossover with pax's tournament results tool (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=1611) ?

skip to my lou
27-12-2004, 09:17 PM
Sesha has everything that Jonathan's tool has plus more, but it does require PHP and MySQL.

skip to my lou
27-12-2004, 09:22 PM
SPDE does not generate a standings file for each round, so I guess I will have to generate one myself.

Bill Gletsos
27-12-2004, 10:26 PM
SPDE does not generate a standings file for each round, so I guess I will have to generate one myself.
I wouldnt have thought that should be a problem.

SP will generate a standings file based on the round it is set to.

Now since you would have the SP files for the event being sent to you after each round, then the .stg file after round 2 is the round 2 standings. The .stg file after round 3 is the round 3 standings etc.

If that doesnt work, then what am I missing STML.

skip to my lou
27-12-2004, 10:41 PM
Yeah, however, the .stg file is the only place that says the players total up till that round. (I think).

But I don't have to bother writing any new code. I can retain the old .stg files. So basically just overwrite existing SPDE files instead of deleting everything and then writing again.

skip to my lou
02-01-2005, 12:06 AM
This program will be free to download and use from March onwards.

pax
14-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Sesha has everything that Jonathan's tool has plus more, but it does require PHP and MySQL.

I haven't had a year to work on it. Give me time :)

pax
14-01-2005, 10:05 AM
I wouldnt have thought that should be a problem.

SP will generate a standings file based on the round it is set to.

Now since you would have the SP files for the event being sent to you after each round, then the .stg file after round 2 is the round 2 standings. The .stg file after round 3 is the round 3 standings etc.

If that doesnt work, then what am I missing STML.

Or simply build up your standings based on the round data from SPDE (that's what I do). You probably have to do that anyway if you want to make crosstables etc. This is also better if someone wants to put up a tournament either after it's finished or at the end- saves them from laboriously exporting SPDE for each round of the tournament.

Patrick Byrom also pointed out to me that actually all the data you need is available in the .trn and .sco SP files. So you can do it without going via SPDE at all, it's just a bit messier (but is certainly better for the user).

Pax

auriga
14-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Patrick Byrom also pointed out to me that actually all the data you need is available in the .trn and .sco SP files. So you can do it without going via SPDE at all, it's just a bit messier (but is certainly better for the user).
Pax

not sure if it's public knowledge,
but the swiss perfect files are standard dbase files.
remember bill g telling me this.

you can setup up an odbc datasource link
to both files (trn and sco) and dump all the data.
think scores file links into the tournament file.

btw. with all these great tools (from pax and karthick)
would it be useful for someone to setup a swiss perfect file repository
ie. ftp site for chesskit users using username/password
to upload various sp files.

i have the sp files for toukley 2004 (which i was dop)
so i use this as a test file but i have difficulty finding
any other sp files on the internet for testing.

i guess acf (bill g) would collect all the sp files for the ratings
but figure this is acf's intellectual property so may not want to put
into public domain.

skip to my lou
14-01-2005, 06:44 PM
I haven't had a year to work on it. Give me time :)

Neither have I :P

skip to my lou
14-01-2005, 06:47 PM
How complicated is the swiss perfect program itself? e.g. Is it easy to generate pairings or are there heaps of complicated rules?

I guess we could make a sort of web based interface for swiss perfect, that way results would be truly "live".

Just an idea.

auriga
15-01-2005, 11:07 AM
How complicated is the swiss perfect program itself? e.g. Is it easy to generate pairings or are there heaps of complicated rules?

I guess we could make a sort of web based interface for swiss perfect, that way results would be truly "live".

Just an idea.

i would say fide pairings are fairly complicated.

would take a quite a few weeks to digest the fide swiss rules (c04a from handbook) think most tournaments are run based on the dutch system (assume swiss perfect uses dutch sys). they are quite strict and which players can play which.

http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=download

from my limited knowedge there's a few fide-approved programs but we (australia) use swiss perfect because it's easier to use, friendlier interface, australian-developed, etc. america/canada seem to use a program called swiss-sys which is similar to swiss perfect.

as far as i know, none of these programs have a web-interface into them
there are all stand-alone apps (don't think any are multi user client-server, etc.) however, organisers like stand-alone (eg. swiss perfect)
because it works on low-spec machines and can be taken on laptop
and organised for a tournament anywhere without a network, etc.

that's not to say for a big tournament (aus open) a web version would not be better to hook up to the web more seemlessly.

skip to my lou
09-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Here is the plan for the next version, which will include a better looking and easier to use interface:

Settings

-> Tournament Name
-> Tournament Format
-> Number of Rounds
-> Time Controls
-> Arbiters
-> Entry Fees
-> Venue
-> Schedule
-> Prizes
-> Critical Dates
-> Sponsors

Server

-> Service Status

-> Load Average
-> CPU Usage
-> Memory Usage
-> MySQL Usage
-> Apache Status
-> Service Control

-> Optimization

-> Tweak Apache
-> Misc. Settings

User Admin

-> Settings
-> Manage Users
-> Permissions

Website

-> General

-> Manage Skin
-> Create Directory
-> Create Page
-> Manage News
-> Welcome Message

-> Swiss Perfect

-> Manage SPDE
-> Rebuild SP Data
-> Clear SP Data

-> Photo Album

-> Settings
-> Upload Photo
-> Delete Photo

-> Chess Lib

-> Settings
-> Manage Games
-> Rebuild Index

-> Bulletin

-> Settings
-> Manage

-> Profiles

-> Manage Profiles
-> Build Ratings
-> Build Graphs
-> Search

-> Live Games

-> Settings
-> Chat Settings
-> Broadcast

-> Forum

-> View Installation
-> Re-Install

Backup

-> Backup Settings
-> Compression Settings
-> Generate Backup

-> Download as File
-> Store on Server

-> Restore Backup

-> Upload
-> Restore from Server

Any suggestions?

arosar
09-02-2005, 12:15 PM
What is it again?

AR

skip to my lou
09-02-2005, 12:21 PM
What is it again?

AR

Read the first post/page.

skip to my lou
10-02-2005, 11:14 PM
Can now read directly the .trn & sco file so now need to rewrite quite a bit of code.. doh!

skip to my lou
10-02-2005, 11:17 PM
Can now read directly the .trn & sco file so now need to rewrite quite a bit of code.. doh!

I didn't use ODBC, I wouldn't want to use it anyway :P *hides*

skip to my lou
10-02-2005, 11:31 PM
Array
(
[INTL_ID] => int
[LOC_ID] => int
)

Bill, what is LOC_ID (local ID?) used for?

skip to my lou
10-02-2005, 11:41 PM
I can make it truly live, but theres needs to be internet connection to arbiters laptop

pax
11-02-2005, 08:34 AM
Array
(
[INTL_ID] => int
[LOC_ID] => int
)

Bill, what is LOC_ID (local ID?) used for?

Local ID should be used for the ACF ID number (the first number in the entry in the ACF Master rating list), just as int_ID is intended for FIDE ID number.

skip to my lou
11-02-2005, 02:16 PM
Thanks.

What is this?:

[W_TYPE] => int
[B_TYPE] => int

pax
11-02-2005, 04:17 PM
Thanks.

What is this?:

[W_TYPE] => int
[B_TYPE] => int

As far as I can tell, it is (1,1) if it is player vs player, and (1,0) if it is player,bye.

skip to my lou
11-02-2005, 05:38 PM
I have seen

[W_TYPE] => 35
[B_TYPE] => 35

pax
20-04-2005, 11:19 AM
I have seen

[W_TYPE] => 35
[B_TYPE] => 35

Types 34, 35 and 36 represent forfeits. 34 is (- +), 35 is (+ -), and 36 is (- -).