PDA

View Full Version : "Jamaican Champion" update

euroking
10-11-2005, 07:14 AM
Hey all remember me?? i toured all of Australia playin chess on the street theres some very interesting and also some very insulting stuff about me on this forum dating back from may of 2004 all the way up until i left in may of 2005. I just thought i should stae a few of the facts to clarify a few things i happened to read earlier. As most of u know i visited all 5 major cities doing even Bendigo and Ballarat along the way in victoria. Someone suggested somewhere that i should have gotten a job well if i wasnt an average of $60 oz per hour and making $120000 in excatly one year then i might have considered that (idiot) that clarifies that. I left and went to europe to do more chess on the street i can say that the weather and language are more to my favour in oz than here but still its been a success ive earned 35000 euors here in 6 months and a journey that started in Berlin then Munich,Veinna,Rome,Milan,Lake Constants,Zurich,Fredrickshaffen,Stuttgart,Colon,C oppernhagen,Amsterdam,Rotterdam,Paris,London,Birmi ngham,Barcelona and finally back to London again where i catch a flight to Atlanta usa tmorow from Gatwick Airport so to those of u who are still doin the same old same old i say i feel for it u everyday is all always different, intersting and dynamic not to mention the girls check barcelona if any of u ever get the chance theres much more to the world than Australia!! watch the exchange rate too thatll hurt its just as well i work as i go any time i egt to a new city i just open up my case place a chess board and clock on the ground and start to make immediate tax free cash. So a slap in the face to those of who choose to mock me ha u can go back to yur SSDD (same shit different day) routine while ill be making $200+ us an hour in atlanta i might not have been the strongest player at the board (i stronger now) then but i did something that none of have ever done or ever hope to do i combined chess with business to give my myself unlimited potential and opportunity at just 23 yrs of age see ya tuers Pablo jamaican world no1 well the only 1 ull ever see on the street anyways..

four four two
10-11-2005, 08:56 AM
The people here dont have a problem with you "busking" as a chess player,just with you calling yourself a jamaican champion. Tell me ,is your "father" still dying from cancer? You dont have to tell silly lies to make money as a chess player,just be honest for once and people might stop bagging you. As for making $60 dollars an hour/$120,000 in a year ,who are you trying to kid? You certainly were not making that kind of money when I saw you in the bourke street mall in Melbourne. :P

antichrist
11-11-2005, 12:04 PM
A few months back I met one of the girls who was touring with you to the Doeberl and she still had the hots for you. I was beating her in a game but then showed her a terrific combo she could pull off.

ElevatorEscapee
11-11-2005, 08:41 PM
G'day Pablo, nice to see you posting here at last. :)

It's also nice of you to acknowledge Bendigo and Ballarat as among the major cities. (You are obviously a man with taste!) :D

Just one question, do you think it wise to openly admit to tax evasion in several countries on a public forum? :doh:

GinoTHEstud
13-11-2005, 07:58 AM
Hi,

Guys

Pablo is just a loser.

This one time in band camp...

Sorry let me start over..

This one time in New Zealand our dear friend pablo who is crowned the jamican champion. (Raises eyebrow)

Played in this tournament the south island championship in dunedin or some minor nz city. He lost to this 800 kid shame shame shame u suck u suck u suck. then he kicked like 5 charis and stormed out. Also he was playing this guy call MArk Van Der hoorn in the All Canterbury Championship..

So much shit when on during this game..

From the beginning...ok

while mark isthinking of a move Pablo quotes " Not so cocky now are we", mark just winks and doesnt say anything. Mark is thinking how to win this pawn method a or method b. he chooses the latter. its doesntmatter. The next move pablo offers a draw during his move. like his thinking time. mark doest say anything. Pablo like draw do you want a draw. MArk is like make ur move. Then pablo slams down a piece and says be prepare to be annilated in a real loud voice. 5 moves later checkmate is forced..which pablo was on the receving end of marks queen sac pawn promotion. Also during the game..other players could here pablo outside saying 2100 psss 2100 pss what a joke.

four four two
13-11-2005, 09:33 AM
Pablo the "Jamaican Champion" finished outside the top 6 in the DOEBERL MINOR,didnt even bother to play the top section. :whistle:

Think its time to hand back your "crown" to the current Jamaican champion,FM Warren Elliot[2262 elo]. For those of you who are interested the Jamaican championship is taking place at the moment and will be completed on November 27th. A good website about players of african descent is "The Chess Drum",gives a well informed run down on carribean players,african players and black players in north america/britain. ;)

Alan Shore
13-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Pablo the "Jamaican Champion" finished outside the top 6 in the DOEBERL MINOR,didnt even bother to play the top section.

And it was with a less than heroic fashion he took that final round loss to Andrew Brown... screaming in the streets, lol.

ElevatorEscapee
13-11-2005, 05:02 PM
Hmmm, Pablo didn't seem terribly happy about losing in the final round at Ballarat either...

Pablo, you wouldn't happen to be starting to believe in your own marketing puffery now would you? :lol: :owned: ;)

But I offer you my congratulations in any case... for it is not everyone who get's to tour the world playing chess! :D

Watto
14-11-2005, 12:08 PM
On one hand I find this hilarious having observed Pablo’s dramatic mood swings in the All Canterbury Open. Very memorable! But, it’s also a bit sad. It was pretty apparent he’s not all that confident underneath the bluster.

Not defending his antics or his capacity to pile on the bullshit… but it takes a lot of gumption for someone in his position (not a strong player by tournament standards) to travel the world using chess as his meal ticket. Another thing you can’t take away from him is that he genuinely cares about the game.

So, good luck to him. Just hope he grows up a bit through the experience.

Ian Rout
14-11-2005, 12:28 PM
but it takes a lot of gumption for someone in his position (not a strong player by tournament standards) to travel the world using chess as his meal ticket.
Have you ever heard of Ostap Bender?

Watto
14-11-2005, 12:54 PM

Yes, now I have. ;)

My sense is that the comic hero of this thread is as insecure and human as he is cynical… but call me nave if you will :)

Vlad
14-11-2005, 05:07 PM

Have u read "12 chairs" by Ilf and Petrov or you just know about the monument in Elista?

Ian Rout
14-11-2005, 08:06 PM
Have u read "12 chairs" by Ilf and Petrov or you just know about the monument in Elista?
I haven't read the whole book, many years ago I read an excerpt (the part where he gives the lecture and simultaneous exhibition). I really should read the rest.

ElevatorEscapee
17-11-2005, 10:19 PM
Also, Bender was quoted by Kotov in his ".... Like a Grandmaster" books. :)

Igor_Goldenberg
23-11-2005, 09:24 AM
January this year (before I returned to chess) me and my wife vacated in Adelaide. One day on the street I ran into "Jamaican champion" and decided to have a little fun. He is not that bad in 3 minutes chess (I'd say 1800-1900), I was out of shape but it did not cause me much problem (and of course I did not beleive "Jamaican champion" and cancer staff).

However, he has balls to go out in the street (and the day was quite hot and too sunny for my taste), put an effort and earn some bucks. Btw, he did not charge to play with him or play for a bet (it might've tempted me to send him bankrupt :) ), only asking spectators to throw something in the hat. Personally I see nothing wrong with it (apart from cancer part). Even advertising himself as Jamaican champion is tolerable.

Those who criticise him - why don't you go out and earn some money for yourself simular way?

Gringo
23-11-2005, 01:05 PM
Is the "Jamaican Champeen" a financial member of 'Chess Champions Chops Pork' ( C.C.C.P) :hmm:

PHAT
26-11-2005, 02:05 PM
I just want to say how mean spirited some people have been on this thread. The Jamaican is a street entertainer. He makes a living out of it by being an exotic chess player, and does no harm. How about giving the bloke a fair go. :rolleyes:

Kaitlin
26-11-2005, 02:25 PM
eek :eek:... Matt's being nice.... everybody run outside and stand in the rain :uhoh:

Gringo
26-11-2005, 03:40 PM
It Aint 'alf Obvious is it....... :banana:

four four two
26-11-2005, 04:14 PM
Matt,he makes his living out of being a chess player playing on the street,which in itself is "exotic " to the general australian public. He doesnt have to tell silly lies. :hand:

The point you have failed to see is that when someone has a sign next to them that says something along the lines of "My father is dying of cancer,Im trying to raise money to buy an airline ticket home to Jamaica" and clearly has no intention of going back to Jamaica to see his "dying father" then he is simply being a cheap liar. And when you then chuck in the "Im the Jaimaican chess champion", well it just makes him look like a sheister.

Why Pablo thought he had to tell silly lies to make cash from busking as a chess player is beyond me,maybe he is just plain immature. :hmm: Then again he could just be conniving. :hmm:

Garvinator
26-11-2005, 04:36 PM
The point you have failed to see is that when someone has a sign next to them that says something along the lines of "My father is dying of cancer,Im trying to raise money to buy an airline ticket home to Jamaica" and clearly has no intention of going back to Jamaica to see his "dying father" then he is simply being a cheap liar. And when you then chuck in the "Im the Jaimaican chess champion", well it just makes him look like a sheister.

This is straight out fraud if this is what was happening. Financial gain by deception is what I believe the legal definition of fraud to be.

You be the judge :hmm:

PHAT
27-11-2005, 03:38 PM
He doesnt have to tell silly lies. :hand:

The point you have failed to see is ... just makes him look like a sheister.

Why Pablo thought he had to tell silly lies to make cash from busking as a chess player is beyond me...

I think it is you who has failed to see the point.

Pablo is a street entertainer. It the same way that NOBODY believes that a magician realy has "powers," to smash your watch and put it back together nobody should believe "silly lies" told by a busker. I have (and you too) seen guggler/acrobats saying how they have to feed their four children overseas, or listened to junkies spin believable rubbish to scam some change. It is all part of a game where the other person knows that you know that it is all for effect. Pablo is doing exactly that. He spins a line, the punter smiles wryly to themsevles and the hapless champ checkmates the chump. Everyone is complicit in this transaction - it is entertainment for cash.

PHAT
27-11-2005, 03:39 PM
This is straight out fraud if this is what was happening. Financial gain by deception is what I believe the legal definition of fraud to be.

You be the judge :hmm:

Not guilty.

four four two
27-11-2005, 03:55 PM
Remind me never to buy a "used car" from you Matt. :lol:
Suspension of disbelief ,which many entertainers do,is one thing.
Telling a lie to solicit sympathy is another.
Pretending to be a 2100+ player when you are not even 1700 strength is simply being vain and childish ;)

Igor_Goldenberg
27-11-2005, 08:35 PM
What does it matter for someone playing him whether he is 1700 or 2100?
Would it matter for a vast majority of Australian chess player whether you play Rogers or Kasparov? Result is going to be the same.

For some amateur playing "Jamaican champ" the difference between 1700 and 2100 is hypothetical (and in 3min blitz he is close to the latter).

As for cancer - doubt anyone beleived him, but it's a unspoken convention for any street entertainer to pretend to be in a dire circumstances.

PHAT
27-11-2005, 09:38 PM
[Pablo] pretending to be a 2100+ player when ... not even 1700 strength is simply being vain and childish ;)

No. It is part of the show. It is simply a device to enhance the entertainment value.

Axiom
27-11-2005, 10:38 PM
matt and igor seem to be axiomatically correct in their analysis

four four two
28-11-2005, 11:25 AM
The general public is going to struggle with anyone over 1500 strength,that isnt the issue. When someone makes allusions to having won their countries national title and they clearly havnt ,and are in fact nowhere near the strength of their national champion then they are just acting like an arrogant idiot. If David Beaumont[fg7] was playing chess on the street in Canada ,do you think it would ok for him to give canadians the impression that he had been the Australian champion at one point in time? :hmm:

People would have given him money whether he claimed to be the "Jamaican champion" or not,there was a novelty value in him playing chess in a public place.The fact that he tried to give people the impression that he had won a national title at some point tells you something about his personality,maybe he should have asked the Guru for a job. :lol:

Igor,I personally know a number of people who busk for a living.None of them are in dire straits,or pretend to be dead broke.They openly solicit for money while they are busking,they make it clear to the public that their "act" is their job and not just some minor hobby.They would consider Pablo's "dying father" ruse as being VERY lame to say the least.For them that kind of tactic reflects badly on buskers,it makes them look no better than junkies who ask for money to catch a train. ;)

AlexDavies
29-09-2006, 12:40 PM
http://members5.boardhost.com/ChessTalk/msg/1158002267.html

Posted by Hugh Brodie on September 11, 2006, 15:17:47
User logged in as: Hugh Brodie
The last few days have seen a guy with a set and clock on the sidewalk outside Place Montreal Trust - a major indoor mall on downtown St. Catherine St.

He offers to play anyone (for free) a 3-minute game. (warning - you have to squat or site down on the sidewalk :-).

He has a big sign which states that he is blitz champion of Jamaica and needs about $500 so he can see his sick father. So - the obligatory "hat" is prominantly displayed.

I haven't had a chance to play - but the few games I have seen have been against unknowns (he lost one).

There are always 30-40 people watching, and the spectators treat it like a "show". You watch a game, you like the show, and you toss a loonie or two into the hat. He probably got $20-30 within 30 seconds after one game ended.

Not sure if he has encountered the cops yet - they would probably end it due to "congestion" on the sidewalk.

This would be an interesting idea for our federations to put into practice - set up a blitz game on a busy, pedestrian-friendly street, take on all comers, and accept donations for the federation or "to pay to get me to the World [whatever] in [wherever]".

arosar
29-09-2006, 12:54 PM
There is an update on this guy on my blog today.

AR

MichaelBaron
30-09-2006, 12:32 AM
That "Jamaican champion" is simply a cheat. He is a cheat because:

1.He claims he is collecting funds for dying father while using the money to travel the world
2) He is not even 1700
3) He claims to be taking on "all comers" but when some weak fide master who is not a chess professional unlike him (i was going for a stroll during my lunch time break at work) offers odds of 2 min to 5 and is ready to play him $10 a game as long as both sides are to make bets (rather than simply pay "jamaican champion for playing) Jamaican champion is scared to death.

He is nothing but a con artist!:evil:

MichaelBaron
30-09-2006, 12:35 AM
http://members5.boardhost.com/ChessTalk/msg/1158002267.html

I would be happy to play on the street outside my uni. At least my students would be entertained.

:D

Garvinator
24-02-2007, 02:02 AM
WE, so now we know who is responsible for showing the Jamaican Champ the ropes ;)

Hugh_Brodie
24-02-2007, 06:41 AM
Here are the links to a couple of photos I took of the "Jamaican champion" when he was in Montreal last September/October (720k was too big for an attachment). You can read his plea for money so he can visit his ailing father.

http://hugh.cc.mcgill.ca/gifs/Montreal_Street_Chess_1.jpg
http://hugh.cc.mcgill.ca/gifs/Montreal_Street_Chess_2.jpg

He stayed for over a week, playing almost every afternoon for several hours. Estimated rating strength: about 1900.

WhiteElephant
24-02-2007, 11:35 AM
WE, so now we know who is responsible for showing the Jamaican Champ the ropes ;)

That guy was scary...looks a bit like like Samuel L Jackson.

WhiteElephant
24-02-2007, 11:47 AM
He stayed for over a week, playing almost every afternoon for several hours. Estimated rating strength: about 1900.

Interesting pics..,looks like he's still using the same sign...LOL.

1633? OS Williams, Pablo (Paul)

brett
26-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Has anyone spotted him around the traps recently?

Ivanchuk_Fan
19-10-2008, 07:50 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/article1674100.ece

The article is authored by Chris Sweeney.

Rincewind
19-10-2008, 09:07 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/article1674100.ece

The article is authored by Chris Sweeney.

Nice article. So 4 years on and Pablo is still claiming to be Jamaica's #1 chess player and his dad is still dying from cancer. :hmm:

MichaelBaron
19-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Nice article. So 4 years on and Pablo is still claiming to be Jamaica's #1 chess player and his dad is still dying from cancer. :hmm:

This is called DECEPTION :)

TIMMIK
19-10-2008, 01:30 PM
This is called DECEPTION :) Yes, and there is law about obtaining financial advantage through deception.
So shouldn't he be arrested ?

Miranda
19-10-2008, 11:52 PM
lol
i want to meet him in the street one day
and play against him
and beat him :D

[well, hopefully anyway]

WhiteElephant
20-10-2008, 12:02 AM
lol
and play against him

[well, hopefully anyway]

He's an interesting character. Has a pretty bad temper, doesn't like losing!

eclectic
20-10-2008, 12:51 AM
Has a pretty bad temper, doesn't like losing!

so he obtains financial advantage via deception and menace?

:evil: :evil: :evil:

WhiteElephant
20-10-2008, 12:56 AM
I saw him play in the Ballarat Begonia tournament. In one round he lost his game, knocked his chair over loudly and stormed off. Later on he was playing a Blitz game and some observer kibitzed a move too loudly, when the Jamaican Champion let fly with a few choice expletives. :)

Otherwise he's actually quite charismatic.

Miranda
20-10-2008, 07:42 AM
Otherwise he's actually quite charismatic.

Sounds like quite a character, in any case

Kevin Bonham
20-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Later on he was playing a Blitz game and some observer kibitzed a move too loudly, when the Jamaican Champion let fly with a few choice expletives. :)

As he did in a blitz game against me at HICC after I defeated him in some exceptionally cute/outrageous manner.

Saragossa
20-10-2008, 04:54 PM
The charisma so far is shining through. I get quite a bit of amusement from this thread.

Igor_Goldenberg
21-10-2008, 03:14 PM
lol
and play against him

[well, hopefully anyway]
I am afraid he might be a bit difficult to beat.

Igor_Goldenberg
21-10-2008, 03:16 PM
He's an interesting character. Has a pretty bad temper, doesn't like losing!

I played him about four years ago in the street of Adelaide (before returning to chess scene, therefore virtually being a nobody). He took his losses quite graciously and politely.

Metro
22-10-2008, 02:51 AM
The people here dont have a problem with you "busking" as a chess player,just with you calling yourself a jamaican champion. Tell me ,is your "father" still dying from cancer? You dont have to tell silly lies to make money as a chess player,just be honest for once and people might stop bagging you. As for making $60 dollars an hour/$120,000 in a year ,who are you trying to kid? You certainly were not making that kind of money when I saw you in the bourke street mall in Melbourne. :P
He might have been a school champion;)

WhiteElephant
22-10-2008, 07:26 AM
Has he actually ever been to Jamaica?

queenant89
23-10-2008, 06:59 PM
i remember playing him in blitz when he was in bendigo, and beat him at the 5 go i think. he wasnt there too long as i remember he didnt win as much as he would of liked. there was betting behind the scenes of who would be him, rather than give him money... :P

MichaelBaron
23-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Actually now that the weather is nice and sunny, i would not mind bring a chess board and clock to cbd and making some cash...just a bit worried my students will see me there basking and get "overexited" :)

Axiom
23-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Actually now that the weather is nice and sunny, i would not mind bring a chess board and clock to cbd and making some cash...just a bit worried my students will see me there basking and get "overexited" :)
then, maybe wearing a mankini , is not such a good idea .

Bereaved
12-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Hi everyone,

just found this through one of my face book friends, though I am unsure of when it was taken....no doubt who it is though

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

antichrist
12-10-2010, 09:37 PM
are his clothes of Jamacian flag colours?

Rincewind
13-10-2010, 08:30 AM
... I am unsure of when it was taken...

Red double decker bus and driving on the LHS of the road. I'd guess UK - probably around London somewhere.

antichrist
13-10-2010, 11:58 AM
He can have breathing in all that pollution, now if they were on cycles all would be healthy

Tony Dowden
13-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Hey Pablo

Trent Parker
20-10-2010, 04:27 PM
someone recently mentioned on TCG Blog that Pablo was recently seen in Vienna

Tony Dowden
20-10-2010, 08:47 PM
someone recently mentioned on TCG Blog that Pablo was recently seen in Vienna

I've heard that Carmen Sandiego is jealous ;)

Sheroff
02-11-2010, 10:10 AM
That guy was scary...looks a bit like like Samuel L Jackson.

Samuel L. Jackson actually played a chess player in a movie once - "Fresh". He played the father of a teenager who lived in the projects in New York, I think.