PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne Cup Weekender

Trent Parker
13-10-2005, 07:18 AM
Never been down to melbourne.....

Might come for this tournament. Can someone tell me of accomodation in the area? Preferably backpacker's coz i can't really afford anything more.... :uhoh:

Bereaved
14-10-2005, 03:47 AM
Hello, Everyone,
I would like to let you all know that the MCC has chosen to not run the Melbourne Cup Weekender.

We have run the Melbourne Cup Weekender over many years, but have chosen this year in the light of the excellent tournament to be run at Elwood Chess Club over the same weekend to not operate in competition with them.

The Bendigo Bank Elwood Chess Championship 2005 is a new initiative which has been organised by Barboros Kara, a local businessman, and an active Victorian player, and a good friend of mine. He has done a great job securing the support of the Bendigo Bank branch in Elwood, and based on the benefit that this relationship has for chess within the inner Melbourne area, it was obvious to not run the MCC event.

I will post a link to the official website at the bottom, but will paste the body of the text here.

Bendigo Bank Elwood
Chess Championship

29th October to 1st November, 2005

Elwood Primary School, Scott Street, Elwood

Proudly sponsored by:

The Bendigo Bank
Australia's most sucessful community bank.

Additional Sponsors:
Chief Arbiter: IA Gary Bekker: gbekker@mira.net

Prizes:

1st - $2000 (Guaranteed)
2nd - $1000
3rd - $500

Rating Prizes: U/2000, U/1600, U/1200:

1st - $100
2nd - $50.

Junior Prizes: U/18, U/14, U/12:

1st - Chess World Book Voucher

Tournament Format: 7 round Swiss tournamnent.

Time Control: 90 minutes, plus 30 seconds per move. (edit, Macavity: this means that players are required to record all of their moves throughout the game.)

Entry fees: $60 full. $40 concession. $10 surcharge for entries on the day.

Tournament Schedule:

Saturday 29th Oct:
Opening - 12:00 pm
Round 1 - 12:30 pm
Round 2 - 5:00 pm

Sunday 30th Oct:
Round 3 - 9:30 am
Round 4 - 2:00 pm
Round 5 - 6:30 pm

Tuesday 1st Nov:
Round 6 - 9:30 am
Round 7 - 2:00 pm
Prizes - 6:30 pm

For more details contact:
Barbaros Kara,
E-mail: j.kara@global1t.com
Mobile: 0401 572-549

The website is http://www.auschess.org.au/oceania/elwood/

I would strongly urge anyone able to play to do so to support this new event in its first year. MCC will be directing any enquiries about this event to Barboros, Gary, or anyone else who ends up in their team of organisers, to ensure the best turnout possible.

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

Oh, and Trent, will try and find out about accomodation in the area from Barboros, yours, M. Will post when I know something.

oh and PS I will be creating a new thread with the same information so that the Bendigo get the best exposure. I think they shouldn't be merged though as that will stop the announcement of MCC not being run being clearly visible.

once again, M

four four two
14-10-2005, 11:04 AM
Just a note ,the tournament will be at Elwood primary school and Not Elwood chess club,Barboros is a member of both MCC and Elwood,as for backpackers Trent there are plenty in the CBD but if you are after something close to Elwood then Grey street in StKilda is your best bet ,StKilda is a neighbouring suburb of Elwood. Grey street is just off Fitzroy street in StKilda,to get there take either the 96StKilda tram from Bourke street or the 16StKilda tram from Swanston street. ;)