PDA

View Full Version : Rooty Hill Club Championship

Dozy
10-10-2005, 11:55 PM
Round 1 of the Rooty Hill Club Championship was played tonight. Fortytwo players have registered in five divisions -- four round robins with eight players each, in rating order, and a Swiss for the bottom division (with ten players).

I'll put a report on the Rooty Hill site in a day or two when I get the Swiss Perfect files.

Dozy
12-10-2005, 06:17 AM
Round 1 results, a report, and round 2 draw are available at http://www.rootyhillchess.org/gameRHCh5frm.htm

Dozy
12-10-2005, 09:13 PM
Round 1 results, a report, and round 2 draw are available at http://www.rootyhillchess.org/gameRHCh5frm.htmThere's been a correction:

The games are viewable on that sight and I've put a redirection link there, but the report and cross table have been relocated here:
http://www.rootyhillchess.org/ClubChamp05.html

Dozy
18-10-2005, 12:31 AM
We breed 'em fearless out Rooty Hill way. During my game tonight I walked across to watch Carrie Evans's game. She's been out of chess most of the year doing shiftwork and with a rating of 1451 is the bottom rated player in her section.

So I was a bit surprised when, at move 21, I saw she had sacrificed a rook, had two bishops en prise and, on move 22 offered a knight exchange. On 25 she even managed to restrain herself from capturing the queen.

Did she win? Take a look at this:
[Event "Rooty Hill Club Championship Division C"]
[Site "Rooty Hill"]
[Date "2005.10.17"]
[Round "2"]
[White "Evans, Carrie"]
[Black "Saiti, Adam"]
[Result "1-0"]
1. c4 Nc6 2. g3 e5 3. Bg2 Nge7 4. Nc3 Nf5 5. e3 Bc5 6. a3 a6 7. Nge2 O-O 8. b4 Ba7 9. Bb2 d6 10. Qc2 g6 11. h4 Be6 12. Nd5 Bxd5 13. Bxd5 Qd7 14. h5 Nfe7 15. hxg6 Nxg6 16. O-O-O Nd8 17. f4 c6 18. Rxh7 Kxh7 19. Rh1+ Kg7 20. fxe5 dxe5 21. Bxe5+ f6 22. Nf4 Qg4 23. Nh5+ Kh6 24. Nxf6+ Kg5 25. Nh7# 1-0

auriga
18-10-2005, 07:32 AM
wow. what a good game.
saw that carrie had finished really early. now i know why :)
computer thinks it's over after 20...dxe5 but i don't reckon ...Ne6 was so much better though he probably didn't see the 21.Bxe5+ shot!

bergil
22-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Can't wait to see the game when she plays against Dozy :whistle:

Brian_Jones
22-10-2005, 03:54 PM
She will just beat him up!

Vlad
22-10-2005, 07:54 PM
Well, if this is how 1400-rated plays I better do not play in this club.:)

Gringo
22-10-2005, 09:40 PM
F.K. should play so good....

Dozy
26-10-2005, 09:36 AM
An unfortunate work-related withdrawal has spoiled Division A where Tony Bouchaaya leads with 3 points and looks very comfortable.
Ben Harris leads Div. B from Doug Djukovic and Levi Descallar, while in Div. C Rick Carballo, in good form, has wone all his games.
Div. D could well be decided next week when leader, Ken MacGillivray (3) plays second-placed Bill Herreros (2).
Next week's Div. E round also has an "OK Corral" feel to it as leader Greg Davis shoots it out with Mario Maletic.

There's a report and a couple of games on the web site but it may not appear for an hour or two following this advice since our ISP is experiencing difficulties.

See it at: http://www.rootyhillchess.org/ClubChamp05.html

Dozy
29-10-2005, 08:31 AM
It was Christmas Eve at the North Pole and Santa Claus was worried. The Wicked Witch of the West had cast a spell over the reindeer and they could no longer fly.

There was only one solution: a chess match between Santa and the Wicked Witch with Christmas as the prize.

See the Rooty Hill Christmas story: http://www.rootyhillchess.org/xmas05.html

Dozy
01-11-2005, 07:52 AM
In what may be the major upset of the tournament Joe Ymalay toppled Tony Bouchaaya in this week's game. Tony had two checks: Qe4+ which won or Qc3+ which lost. He played Qc3, allowing Joe to get out of trouble with d4, and the passed pawn won.

Full report on Round 4 at: http://www.rootyhillchess.org/ClubChamp05.html

bergil
08-11-2005, 05:27 AM
C'mon Dozy, don't be shy put your game against Carrie Evans up.

Dozy
08-11-2005, 08:03 AM
Round 5: In the two most significant Div. A games Tony Bouchaaya defeated Robert Ambalong and Joe Ymalay beat Leo Tenorio. Tony and Robert now share the lead with 3/4 (the Bye isn't being counted) with Joe half a point behind on 2.
Ben Harris continues to carve up the field in Div. B. His win against Chris Rust leaves him on 4/5.
Munir Anjum had a resourceful win, two pawns down against Allan Butler. He leads Div. C on 4 but has to face the two top rated players,Muhamed Buza and Rick Carballo, in the next two weeks. Both of them are on 4 points. One of those three players should win the division.
Ken MacGillivray's unbeaten run came unstuck at the hands of Lloyd Fell, so Ken leads Div. D with 4 points from Frank Kresinger and Shane Burgess both on 3.
The only player in any division with an unblemished score is Greg Davis who leads Div. E on 5 points, ahead of Mario Maletic, running second on 3. Greg only needs to win one of his last two games to win the tournament.
The table will be updated as soon as I get the full results and next week's draw.

Results and report at: http://www.rootyhillchess.org/ClubChamp05.html

C'mon Dozy, don't be shy put your game against Carrie Evans up.Sorry, Bergil, that's not gunna happen. I won the game, end of story . . . However here's a Round 4 game between Norrie Tique and Chris Rust.

Event: Club Championship Div B
Site: Rooty Hill
Date: 2005.10.31
Round: ?
White: Tique, Norrie
Black: Rust, Chris
Result: 1-0
ECO: B10
1. e4 c6 2. Nf3 d5 3. e5 Bg4 4. d4 e6 5. Be2 c5 6. c3 Ne7 7. dxc5 Bxf3 8. Bxf3 Qc7 9. Bf4 Qxc5 10. O-O Ng6 11. Bg3 Qc7 12. Re1 Nc6 13. Bxd5 Bc5 14. Bxc6+ Qxc6 15. Qe2 O-O 16. Nd2 Rad8 17. Ne4 Bb6 18. Qh5 h6 19. Rad1 Rxd1 20. Qxd1 Rd8 21. Qe2 Bc7 22. f4 Qd5 23. b3 Rd7 24. Nf2 Bb6 25. Kf1 Qd2 26. Rd1 Qxe2+ 27. Kxe2 Rc7 28. Ne4 Kh7 29. c4 Ne7 30. Bf2 Bxf2 31. Kxf2 Kg6 32. Nd6 a6 33. Rd3 Nc6 34. Rg3+ Kh7 35. Rxg7+ Kxg7 36. Ne8+ Kg6 37. Nxc7 Nb4 38. a3 Nd3+ 39. Ke3 Nc5 40. b4 Nb3 41. Nxa6 bxa6 42. c5 1-0

(There seems to be a problem with the PGN viewer. I tried a couple of games but neither will play beyond about Move 4. I'll leave it here in case it's just a temporary problem. -- It's available on the Rooty Hill link above if you want to play through it and still can't get it here.)

Dozy
15-11-2005, 08:46 PM
There were some exciting games in the Open section this week although all games were drawn. Nancy Lane held Tony Bouchaaya while Robert Ambalong, threatened with mate in two on move 19 by the wily Leo Tenorio (20. Qd7+ Kf8, 21. Qd8#), found a resource that saved the game but also gave him the attack.
Ben Harris continues to dominate Div. B and with 5 points leads Levi Descallar by a point.
Div. C will hang on next week's game between joint leaders Rick Carballo and Munir Anjum who are both on 4 points following Munir's draw with Muhamed Buza and Rick's classy win against Adam Saiti.
With one game to play Shane Burgess and Frank Kresinger have emerged as joint leaders of Div. D on 4 and both have excellent chances of winning.
Div. E leader, Greg Davis, went down in a good game against Peter Watts and now leads by a point from Yama Mahmoodi (who he plays next week) and Mario Maletic. Greg only needs a draw to take first place but if Yama wins there could be a three-way dead heat.

For a complete report with result tables and games, visit http://www.rootyhillchess.org/ClubChamp05.html

Dozy
22-11-2005, 12:44 AM
The Rooty Hill club championship, completed tonight, was played as four round robins of eight players each with a ten player Swiss to accommodate the lower rated and unrated players.

The top competition see-sawed in a most unlikely manner until Tony Bouchaaya made certain of winning in the final round. He is Rooty Hill Club Champion for the third time in the last four years.
In an exciting final game he sacrificed a piece for a pawn forcing 2001 winner Hans Muller to try and stop three connected passed pawns with his overworked bishop.
Robert Ambalong , who had a great tournament, finished half a point behind when he was unable to find a win against Peter Cassettari's Caro-Kann.

Div. B was a clear win to Ben Harris who conceded only a single draw during the whole tournament. Levi Descallar took second place.

Div. C proved a triumph for Munir Anjum who capped a very successful year by winning outright. He spent his final game pinching pawns from Rick Carballo who ran out of options. Muhamed Buza and I finished equal second, half a point behind but Adam Saiti made it awfully tough in a 79 move marathon.

Div. D: Frank Kresinger was lurking just behind the leaders until he grabbed the lead in Round 6. He finished it off in good style with a win against Lloyd Fell. (That's Lloyd R. Fell, not Lloyd S. Fell.) Shane Burgess had been equal first coming in to the final round but lost to Bill Herreros.

Div. E. belonged to Greg Davis but Mario Maletic and Yama Mahmoodi were finishing well. Yama beat Greg tonight while Mario drew with Michael Jansen. Final scores: Greg and Yama 5, Mario and Peter Watts 4.

The report is from the Rooty Hill web page where you will find a report on the whole tournament, cross tables, graphics and around two dozen games. http://www.rootyhillchess.org/ClubChamp05.html

Dozy
30-11-2005, 03:15 PM
The Rooty Hill Lightning Championship was played on Monday night. Bergil had a great tournament.

Twenty-two players fought out the Rooty Hill Lightning Championship on November 28. It was won by Tony Bouchaaya on 8 points, just ahead of Brian Jones with 7.5 while Peter and Stephen Cassettari turned third place into a family affair.

The next group (on 5 points) were Levi Descallar, Leo Tenorio, Rick Carballo, Bergil and Yama Mahmoodi.

If there was an upset award in this competition it would be hotly contested. Based on a single game it would have to go to Rick Carballo for his draw with Tony Bouchaaya, but if it was based on rating performance there were several contenders. Bergil (1316) had a rating performance of 1739, Rolando Gonzales (1316) is always tough at lightning and performed at 1579 and Greg Davis (1145) would have been rated at 1481 for the tournament.

The most interesting rating performance was probably that of newcomer Yama Mahmoodi who is as yet unrated but shared first place in Division E of the Club Championship with Greg Davis. Yama scored 5 from 9 in his first lightning tournament, defeating experienced players like Norrie Tique, Muhamed Buza, and Joe Ymalay. His rating performance was 1687. Not bad!

Once again, thanks to DOP Peter Cassettari for a great tournament.

Cross tables and complete results at http://www.rootyhillchess.org/Lightning05.html

bergil
03-12-2005, 01:43 PM
What about the Western Suburbs Rapid Challenge? Rooty Hill/Koala had a first leg lead of 8 over Parramatta/Fairfield. The second leg was played on Dec 1st, what happened?:hmm:

Brian_Jones
03-12-2005, 02:56 PM
It didn't happen - it was a figment of your imagination!

Dozy
03-12-2005, 03:20 PM
What about the Western Suburbs Rapid Challenge? Rooty Hill/Koala had a first leg lead of 8 over Parramatta/Fairfield. The second leg was played on Dec 1st, what happened?:hmm:Actually, Bergil baby, Rooty Hill didn't need to forfeit on those last two boards. There was a solution. Have a look at the cartoon on this page: http://www.rootyhillchess.org/ClubReport2005.html

bergil
03-12-2005, 04:07 PM
It didn't happen - it was a figment of your imagination!
Ok so Rose didn't win twice against the top board from Rooty Hill/Koala :owned:

bergil
03-12-2005, 04:13 PM
Actually, Bergil baby, Rooty Hill didn't need to forfeit on those last two boards. There was a solution. Have a look at the cartoon on this page: http://www.rootyhillchess.org/ClubReport2005.html
Here's another solution, turn up! :P Rooty Hill has over fifty members who could have played for them, alright Gary and Lee were in Russia and a few such as myself played for the good guys (Parramatta/Fairfield) but what of the others? :hmm: