PDA

View Full Version : Chess in Advertising

The_Wise_Man
07-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Having been a reader the Australian Financial Review for a very long time now, I consistently find chess pieces used in advertising...

If we can accumulate a list of companies that advertise their products and services with a chess theme, then we will have ourselves a very good list if looking for future sponsors....

So if anyone sees a chess themed advertisement in the media, add it to the thread/list.... Lets see how many we can find...

Wise

jase
07-10-2005, 02:13 AM
Great idea Chris.

Sometimes chess is used rather gratuitously in advertising; one commercial with a chess them that I am fond of was for an airline (I think it was Malaysian) that appeared in magazines in 2003 and 2004.

The pitch was to promote the interactive inflight features - notably that you could play games like chess against fellow passengers through the inflight consoles in the back of each seat.

The hook was something like "I'm having the chicken for lunch, and the guy in 3b for dinner" or similar. Somehow when I write this it comes across as either a pick-up line or Hannibal Lecter, so I'll have to edit the actual tag line when I remember it - but hopefully you understand.

Great photo with the ad showing a passenger in his seat competitively eyeing off an unseen fellow passenger.

The_Wise_Man
20-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Just to revive this thread....

the KFC ad has chess as a theme...

Wise

Phil Bourke
20-06-2006, 04:12 PM
And it features another chess error.
When the player plays his move, he reaches over and presses his opponent's clock! Original chess clocks were operated in this manner, but they disappeared about the time Noah landed the Ark :)

peter_parr
22-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Just to revive this thread....

the KFC ad has chess as a theme...

Wise

The chessboard and Jaques chess set used in the KFC advert was purchased by my father Frank Parr in the early 1930ís.

He used the set and board almost daily for over 70 years.

He taught my brother David and myself (both later became champions of NSW) how to play on the set in 1950.

KFC wisely chose this set in the advert rather than any of the other 150 designs of sets offered.

I will continue to eat KFC on a regular basis in the years ahead.

Basil
22-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Good story, Peter.

Brian_Jones
22-06-2006, 02:52 PM
I will continue to eat KFC on a regular basis in the years ahead.

No comment!

bergil
22-06-2006, 06:42 PM
No comment!
Brian, I feel like chicken tonight! :P

Brian_Jones
23-06-2006, 08:39 AM
Brian, I feel like chicken tonight! :P

Bergil, you look like Chicken tonight!

MichaelBaron
23-06-2006, 05:06 PM
I will continue to eat KFC on a regular basis in the years ahead.[/QUOTE]

KFC can hardly be regarded as a healthy kind of diet :lol: :owned:

qpawn
23-06-2006, 05:49 PM
There was a trend in the 70s of chess being used in banking ads in the UK. There was a great one where a man is about to make a chess move and says "how safe is your money?" The position is one where he is way behind on material but sure to mate soon. It is a real position that 's in the CHESS book by Alexander.

The last one I can recall is a financial advice ad where the old man says to the boy "you've got to plan ahead son" while announcing mate in 5 [Australian ad in the aerly 90s. ]

I would only class an ad as a "chess ad" if the planning/sneakiness etc of chess is used as a prism for advertising a product.