PDA

View Full Version : vBulletin 3 RC3

skip to my lou
25-01-2004, 03:42 PM
Well I am 95% sure I am going to move to vBulletin.

Its got tonne more features.

Any comments / suggestions?

Posts / Forums / Users will be preserved if the change is made, just the software is changed.

FEN and PGN tags can be improved on vBulletin. Also I can add alot more chess features.

skip to my lou
25-01-2004, 03:42 PM
I can upload a test board if you guys want to play around with the features to see how it will be like..

skip to my lou
25-01-2004, 04:12 PM
If the change goes ahead, it will be done mid next week. If I recieve no feedback, then I will assume there will be no complaints once the change has been made.

ursogr8
25-01-2004, 06:43 PM
If the change goes ahead, it will be done mid next week. If I recieve no feedback, then I will assume there will be no complaints once the change has been made.

hi Jeo

The complaints will be in the future, and I am sure that you will address them. 8)

For now, we appreciate your effort to alert us ahead of time that a change is planned.

:) :)

regards
starter

skip to my lou
26-01-2004, 06:57 AM
Well once the change is made, dont even bother complaining, because it costs me ~ $250 and alot of time.

ursogr8
26-01-2004, 08:20 AM
Well once the change is made, dont even bother complaining, because it costs me ~ $250 and alot of time.

Jeo.

1 Is the test board available for BB's to test. Where do they access?
2 Are we testing the functions (like i) all posts transferred, ii) all counts transferred, iii) all polls still active, iv) all profiles retained?
3 Are we just trying the 'look and feel' to see if we are comfortable?

We would not want you to waste a large amount of time, nor $250; so we would like to help.

Barry, Bill, others.......there are IT experts amongst us. Can some of you guys keep an eye on this and test in the time-frame expected by Jeo.

starter

skip to my lou
26-01-2004, 08:28 AM
I have a couple of options...

One is to wait for the Gold release and the other is just use RC3.

Posts, Polls, Users are transfered. Unfortunately Avatars are not.

I will be uploading the test board shortly. This is just a test board, and we cant use it to post. It is my friends licence.

And yes, Get a look and feel and see if you are comfortable. This is not the Final look for RC3 though.

skip to my lou
26-01-2004, 10:38 AM
* Link Removed * - Using vB now.

Bill Gletsos
26-01-2004, 11:09 AM
Jeo,

A couple of questions.

1 Is the test board available for BB's to test. Where do they access?
2 Are we testing the functions (like i) all posts transferred, ii) all counts transferred, iii) all polls still active, iv) all profiles retained?
Are all these maintained?

Therefore is it only the avatar's that users will need to reassign?

Does the new board have ranks?

On this board if a user's email address is hidden others cannot email them.
I notice on the new board that it appears other users can email anyone or is it that the hidden attribute is not maintained.

skip to my lou
26-01-2004, 11:10 AM
I think the hidden attribute is not maintained. User interests and stuff is maintained.

Ranks will have to be re done manually.

So far looks that those are maintained

Now you see how its possible to move from two MySQL driven BB's. YaBB is not MySQL driven hence I could not transfer the posts.

ursogr8
26-01-2004, 11:15 AM
Karhick

I tried to edit my sig. on the test board (My sig was showing in large font; whereas I had it in v small font on the regualr BB).
The test board timed me out twice.
Just reporting, not complaining.

starter

skip to my lou
26-01-2004, 11:16 AM
I made it smaller for you, its size one on the new BB. Give me a screenshot of time outs etc.

Or give me the exact URL you were at, and what you did.

Bill Gletsos
26-01-2004, 11:19 AM
I think the hidden attribute is not maintained. User interests and stuff is maintained.
Ok then that isn't a problem as long as users are informed and are aware of it.

Ranks will have to be re done manually.
Is this true only because we are cutting over, but new users will get ranks automatically as their posts counts reach the required levels?
I was just wondering how inconvenient this might be for you to do?

So far looks that those are maintained
Ok thats good because all those features are obviously important.

Now you see how its possible to move from two MySQL driven BB's. YaBB is not MySQL driven hence I could not transfer the posts.
Yes, if they are using the same database it should be simple.

Bill Gletsos
26-01-2004, 11:21 AM

I guess the real question is how stable is RC3.

It would be a shame to convert and then hit a unforseen snag.

Based on my looking at the new board it seems fine.
I'll check it out more later today.

skip to my lou
26-01-2004, 11:23 AM
The database structure is different though.

Anyway, ranks can be done easily, not a big deal. Its actually done dynamically.

skip to my lou
26-01-2004, 11:24 AM

Well it is a release candidate for vBulletin, therefore I would assume extremely stable. Though it will be patched up when Gold is released anyway.

Bill Gletsos
26-01-2004, 11:27 AM
The edit password and email option does not allow you to remove your email address even though it is described as optional.

In fact it appears it is anything but optional. ;)

Bill Gletsos
26-01-2004, 11:31 AM

Well it is a release candidate for vBulletin, therefore I would assume extremely stable. Though it will be patched up when Gold is released anyway.
I would think you are probably correct, however I have seen release candidate software that suddenly had a major bug turn up in it, delaying the gold master release.

Bill Gletsos
26-01-2004, 11:35 AM
The edit avatar function will not allow you to disable the "Do not use an avatar" option.

skip to my lou
26-01-2004, 11:39 AM
Its currently on 50x50, Im trying to find out how to set to 100x100.

ursogr8
26-01-2004, 11:39 AM
I made it smaller for you, its size one on the new BB. Give me a screenshot of time outs etc.

Or give me the exact URL you were at, and what you did.

Jeo
Forget this glitch now that you have corrected the font size from your end. tks

I was at
http://www.chesskit.com/forum/profile.php?do=editsignature
but it was in the same time-frame you were reparing with super-access.

starter

skip to my lou
26-01-2004, 11:45 AM
Maybe the timeout is because I was in your profile when you were trying to edit, so it does not allow write access on your end.

Bill. Avatar max dimension is now 100x100 and I have successfully used an avatar. I just pasted the URL of the image, copied from this board. Also I tried uploading, everything works fine here.

Bill Gletsos
26-01-2004, 11:47 AM
Its currently on 50x50, Im trying to find out how to set to 100x100.
Is that reply for me?

The edit avatar does not appear to allow you to set a new avatar.
The "Do not use an avatar" is always set and cannot be cleared.

Bill Gletsos
26-01-2004, 11:48 AM
Maybe the timeout is because I was in your profile when you were trying to edit, so it does not allow write access on your end.

Bill. Avatar max dimension is now 100x100 and I have successfully used an avatar. I just pasted the URL of the image, copied from this board. Also I tried uploading, everything works fine here.

Maybe thats because of your status.

It still doesnt appear to work.

skip to my lou
26-01-2004, 11:49 AM
Hmm ok, let me check again.

skip to my lou
26-01-2004, 11:52 AM
Should work now..

Bill Gletsos
26-01-2004, 11:56 AM
Ok now I get the custom avatar option.

The opnly problem is that my obi-wan avatar is 3,318 bytes.

It works on this board but not on the new one.

I'll be back later and try messing with it then.

skip to my lou
26-01-2004, 12:13 PM
Yeah Im messing with the settings, hang on for a bit.

skip to my lou
26-01-2004, 12:14 PM
Ok its now 20000 bytes.

skip to my lou
26-01-2004, 12:53 PM
It doesn't seem to show anyones email though.

skip to my lou
26-01-2004, 12:54 PM
Hover over any topic in a forum, it will show you a preview of 300 characters.

skip to my lou
26-01-2004, 02:10 PM
Ok great, Again I am busy during the week....

I may make earlier switch. Really depends on feedback.

So any comments on features etc? Is it too confusing?

It looks ok to me, its a tad slower (maybe half a second). Though its got 100x more features. I think the change would be OK.

Bill Gletsos
26-01-2004, 02:22 PM
You are correct, it doesnt.

My original concern was that if I did a profile of a user there was on the right hand side under contact info a link for email that said : "Send a message via email to XXXXX".

This implies I can send an email to user XXXXX.

However if the user looks under their own profile then under Edit Options their is an option that says : "You can allow other members to send you email messages".
This is followed by a tick box with the following: "Receive Email from Other Members"

That tick box is off by default.

Bill Gletsos
26-01-2004, 02:24 PM

It looks ok to me, its a tad slower (maybe half a second). Though its got 100x more features. I think the change would be OK.

Is there any real reason to rush it?

Does it matter if it isnt done this week but is done the folowing week?

skip to my lou
26-01-2004, 02:27 PM
You are correct, it doesnt.

My original concern was that if I did a profile of a user there was on the right hand side under contact info a link for email that said : "Send a message via email to XXXXX".

This implies I can send an email to user XXXXX.

However if the user looks under their own profile then under Edit Options their is an option that says : "You can allow other members to send you email messages".
This is followed by a tick box with the following: "Receive Email from Other Members"

That tick box is off by default.

Yes, and even if you let people email you, the email is not shown while emailing. The email is sent through the board.

skip to my lou
26-01-2004, 02:31 PM

I have already bought my text books for uni and I have started studying already.

I am also still working.

There are also two other web projects I am working on before Uni starts.

I certainly will not have the few hours that it takes to convert for another few months, maybe more. If missed now, it will have to wait till semester 1 holidays, It can be done then and if the format for vB changes by then, I wouldn't bother till end of year holidays.

Bill Gletsos
26-01-2004, 02:59 PM

I have already bought my text books for uni and I have started studying already.

I am also still working.

There are also two other web projects I am working on before Uni starts.

I certainly will not have the few hours that it takes to convert for another few months, maybe more. If missed now, it will have to wait till semester 1 holidays, It can be done then and if the format for vB changes by then, I wouldn't bother till end of year holidays.
Ok, then your reason for doing it this week seems reasonable to me. :D

skip to my lou
26-01-2004, 03:31 PM
Hopefully I dont get called in to work tommorow.

If I don't, then it will happen at about 6am tommorow.

Bill Gletsos
26-01-2004, 03:34 PM

I assume the current board needs to be down to ensure that their are no updates occuring when the posts etc are transferred.

How long would you expect there would be no BB available between the time the old is taken down and the new is online.

Bill Gletsos
26-01-2004, 03:50 PM
I did notice that on the new BB the post counts are different what the posts counts on the current board. I'm guessing they are just missing the ACF post counts but that you can make them match when you do the final cut-over.

I've had a play with the new BB and it seems fine to me.

I also had a read of the vBulletin features on vBulletins main web site.

skip to my lou
26-01-2004, 05:09 PM

I assume the current board needs to be down to ensure that their are no updates occuring when the posts etc are transferred.

How long would you expect there would be no BB available between the time the old is taken down and the new is online.

About 1 hour if nothing goes wrong, im starting transfer at about 8 pm tonight. I have work tommorow and I will probably sleep in till about 1pm and then I gtg to work at 2.

It doesn't really have to be down, unless you dont mind the posts between that time not being on the new board.

skip to my lou
26-01-2004, 05:15 PM
I did notice that on the new BB the post counts are different what the posts counts on the current board. I'm guessing they are just missing the ACF post counts but that you can make them match when you do the final cut-over.

I've had a play with the new BB and it seems fine to me.

I also had a read of the vBulletin features on vBulletins main web site.

Yes I'll try my best to maintain the post counts, If I cant, I will have to do manually, and I can do people > 500 posts, everyone else will have to request like this board.

Bill Gletsos
26-01-2004, 05:23 PM
About 1 hour if nothing goes wrong, im starting transfer at about 8 pm tonight. I have work tommorow and I will probably sleep in till about 1pm and then I gtg to work at 2.

It doesn't really have to be down, unless you dont mind the posts between that time not being on the new board.
I suppose it depends if anything earhtshattering is posted. ;)