PDA

View Full Version : Is double jeopardy jeopardising justice?

Oepty
29-09-2005, 01:35 PM
There was a interesting program, to me at least, on radio nationals law report this week dealing with the move by some people to remove the law regarding double jeopardy. Should a person who has be aquitted of a crime be to be able to be prosecuted again for the same crime? Should a person be able to charged with perjury for denying they committed a crime? Would removing double jeopardy mean a person could be continually harassed?
Scott

Kevin Bonham
29-09-2005, 02:33 PM
I think the main issue here was that sometimes people had been tried and found not guilty, then later DNA evidence comes to light that more or less proved that they did it. Obviously there need to be safeguards to make sure that if you are revisiting a prosecution because you have new evidence, then that new evidence really is likely to be the final word, rather than having someone tried and found not guilty yet again.

four four two
29-09-2005, 06:26 PM
Now if you got Judge Judy and that guy from "Deal or no Deal" you would have a great game show "Double Jeopardy!" . :owned: :lol: ;)

Spiny Norman
29-09-2005, 06:42 PM
I agree with KBs comments ... there ought to be "substantial new evidence" that is of a direct and easily verifiable nature (e.g. DNA evidence).

Things that ought not to be accepted might be things like new eyewitness evidence or photographic evidence (the former might be concocted years later when those who might cross examine have since died, the latter can be easily fabricated by people who have enough time on their hands).

antichrist
29-09-2005, 09:00 PM
There was a interesting program, to me at least, on radio nationals law report this week dealing with the move by some people to remove the law regarding double jeopardy. Should a person who has be aquitted of a crime be to be able to be prosecuted again for the same crime? Should a person be able to charged with perjury for denying they committed a crime? Would removing double jeopardy mean a person could be continually harassed?
Scott

When a heretic or gay/lesbian was burnt alive at the stake that was one judgement and punishment, upon dying are they then tried again by God and this time burnt forever in Hell? Is this double jeopardy?

arosar
29-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Should a person who has be aquitted of a crime be to be able to be prosecuted again for the same crime?

You mean tried again.

Well, if you've already been acquitted, then the state shouldn't have two bites at the cherry no matter that some new evidence may be uncovered later.

Just remember, when you're accused of a crime, you're going up against an entire machinery of state. This is why we must place the burden on them (the prosecution).

Should a person be able to charged with perjury for denying they committed a crime?

If the poor bastard is found guilty, then why bother with perjury? And if not guilty, then the same. No?

Would removing double jeopardy mean a person could be continually harassed?

I reckon.

AR

antichrist
30-09-2005, 06:54 AM
You mean tried again.

Well, if you've already been acquitted, then the state shouldn't have two bites at the cherry no matter that some new evidence may be uncovered later.

A/C
If it was a crime against you, your family or future children you may hold a different opinion. You never know until you have been there. The Palistinians would not have turned to being terrorists if their land was not stolen by Zionists.

AR
Just remember, when you're accused of a crime, you're going up against an entire machinery of state. This is why we must place the burden on them (the prosecution).

If the poor bastard is found guilty, then why bother with perjury? And if not guilty, then the same. No?

I reckon.

AR

A/C
Why should the accused be allowed to lie, it could cost millions extra to produce evidence (or maybe never be produced), so a lie is adding insult to injury!

Where there is definite lying and the person is definitely guilty then perjury yes!

Put that in your halo-halo and mix it!