PDA

View Full Version : Victorian OPEN 2004

ursogr8
24-01-2004, 08:28 PM
Early planning details
> 12-14 June 2004
>> Early Bird discounts will be significant.
>>> Sponsorship in the bank is running $1000 ahead of plan. Unexpected donations of $300 from the Whitehorse Junior Chess Inc, and $300 from the Fischer_Random Support Group have been two notable sponsorships that came out of the blue. Bank at the moment is $1200
>>>> Pledged sponsorship is an additional $500 to date.

>Web-site has been constructed and location will be advertised here in the coming week.
>> Tournament location is the Box Hill chess Club.
>>> Target for entries...80.

Bob
Could you send me your financial budgetting spreadship for me to test drive.

starter

Garvinator
26-01-2004, 10:12 PM
starter, do you have an idea how much the entry fee will be for victorian open and what will the early bird discount be?

ursogr8
27-01-2004, 07:14 AM
starter, do you have an idea how much the entry fee will be for victorian open and what will the early bird discount be?

gg''y'y

Entry fee will be on the low side and discount will reduce even further. The working proposal, brochures, tournament plan etc are being presented to the organising committee tonight (formally) for the first time.
Will let the BB know as info. firms up.

starter

ursogr8
28-01-2004, 07:12 AM

g''''''''y

Organising Committee last met last night and some of the head-line details are

> First prize $1000
>> Early bird discount $15
>>> Entry fee $60

Already one confirmed entrant ...>>>.... the current Australian Junior Champion (who is also on the organising committee).

starter

PS. All events held at Box Hill for the first half of 2004 can be viewed at
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?p=5441#post5441

ursogr8
01-02-2004, 09:31 PM
VICTORIAN OPEN 2004

Some of the head-line details are

> First prize $1000
>>> Entry fee $60

Already one confirmed entrant ...>>>.... the current Australian Junior Champion (who is also on the organising committee).

starter

Web-site is now being populated at the now available

www.vicchess.netfirms.com

starter

Garvinator
01-02-2004, 09:49 PM
VICTORIAN OPEN 2004

> First prize $1000
>>> Entry fee $60

starter

starter

when does the early bird discount close?

DoroPhil
02-02-2004, 01:08 AM
VICTORIAN OPEN 2004

> First prize $1000
>>> Entry fee $60

starter

starter

Hi,

So I see new club is organizing the Vic Open this year. They probably had a big meeting, a healthy discussion and abolished lots of things previous organizers done right.

What happened to the concession entry? Why is there increase in entry fee to $60? Surely with all the sponsorship from retired librarians and Fishy-Random support groups, entry fee didnt have to go up ??

Also, additional $15 for non-members of any clubs, nice touch that. So basically, organizers are saying: if your are not playing in any clubs this year you less welcome to play in Vic OPEN. Now that will get more entrants.

And 7pm starting time provides another highlight.

So, can this year's Vic Open be even weaker than last year's one? Box Hill people seem to think they can achieve that, so lets say good luck to them!

ursogr8
02-02-2004, 07:26 AM
Hi,

So I see new club is organizing the Vic Open this year. They probably had a big meeting, a healthy discussion and abolished lots of things previous organizers done right.

Thanks for the feedback DoroPhil.
The new BHCC organising committee had notes and advice from the DCC who ran the event last year. We hoped we learned what we could from their successes. And yes, a few things changed because we have a new Committee

What happened to the concession entry? Why is there increase in entry fee to $60?

Did you play last year Dorophil.
How much did you pay?
If you enter early this year the cost is $45, not $60.

Surely with all the sponsorship from retired librarians and Fishy-Random support groups, entry fee didnt have to go up ??

Sponsorship is being sought so that we can get the prize-money UP, not drive the entry fees DOWN.

Also, additional $15 for non-members of any clubs, nice touch that. So basically, organizers are saying: if your are not playing in any clubs this year you less welcome to play in Vic OPEN.

Dorophil, I think it is standard practice in all STATES for members of an Association to get discounts for major events. I know it nearly always costs more to play at the Melbourne Chess Club if you are a non-member. Similarly at Box Hill.
You will be welcome at the VICTORIAN OPEN if you are not a member of a Chess body, but you will pay a little more for the access to the service.

starter

ursogr8
02-02-2004, 08:08 AM

gg'gg'

The Committee was split on this detail. So you will have to watch the web-site for the eventual decision. Likely to be 2 weeks in my view.

starter

eclectic
02-02-2004, 09:00 AM
i note with interest how box hill is running the victorian open this year ...

but ...

something is not quite right ...

what is it ?

THAT'S IT !!!

they're not running it as a super accelerated two division swiss !!

(or are they ?)

hmmm

:hmm:

eclectic

ursogr8
02-02-2004, 09:24 AM
i note with interest how box hill is running the victorian open this year ...

but ...

something is not quite right ...

what is it ?

THAT'S IT !!!

they're not running it as a super accelerated two division swiss !!

(or are they ?)

hmmm

eclectic

eclectic

A sensational pick-up. You must be the most attentive person here on the bulletin board. You are 100% correct. It is not the super-accelerated two division SWISS. Instead, it will be the type of SWISS everyone is accustomed to.

starter

ps
I got out-voted 3 to 1.
But then, I have not had a single convert on the BB either. :wall:

My plan is to continue the argument along the same three lines
1 Highlight the competitiveness of the super-accelerated arrangement.
2 Highlight the equity of the prizes in C and D quartiles via the BH arrangement, in contrast to the arbitriness of the usual SWISS
3 Count the dollars as more and more players enter BH events.

pps
Careful your footer message doesn't get up Ascaro's nose.

DoroPhil
02-02-2004, 01:13 PM
Hi starter,

I really like how you manage to answer all the questions without actually answering them. Attack is the best defence, right?

Anyway, lets try again.
Concession entry fee was abolished. Why? Did it prove to be some sort of bad thing in all the events it was offered before?

Entry fee was increased. Why? Is there some research that suggests that increaing entry fees will do wonders for tournaments?

And another great innovation of Box Hill people - 8 rating groups!! Was that ever done before ? Will it include such hotly contested groups as under1250, under1050 and under850? Also probably more than 1 prize for each group, right? $60, $25, $15? So that every kiddy gets a prize ?

This is Victorian Open man. Supposed to be premier event. And I suspect it will be run just as another mass-participation, no-quality event Box Hill is known for...

Kevin Bonham
02-02-2004, 01:48 PM
Dorophil, I think it is standard practice in all STATES for members of an Association to get discounts for major events.

Not this one, but our membership is free anyway.

ursogr8
02-02-2004, 03:37 PM
Hi starter,

I really like how you manage to answer all the questions without actually answering them. Attack is the best defence, right?

DoroPhil.
No attack intended because I am in the business of attracting players, not getting them off-side.
Now, I can see you read my response to your first post. Was there any reason why you didn’t answer the questions about whether you played last year and how much you paid? I don’t have access to Dandenong’s records so I am not trying to second-guess your identity. I am just trying to see it from your view >> how much did you pay last year, and is $45 an increase.

Concession entry fee was abolished. Why? Did it prove to be some sort of bad thing in all the events it was offered before?

I can comment on this (and your other questions) but I will wait for your reply to my two questions above.

This is Victorian Open man. Supposed to be premier event. And I suspect it will be run just as another mass-participation, no-quality event Box Hill is known for...

The first prize is $1000, and likely to increase. The second prize is $500 and likely to increase. If that does not attract the quality players then I guess that Chess VICTORIA will allocate the event to another Club next year.
But, for less prize money last year the Dandenong Club ran a successful event that attracted a field that had good quality.
There is a good chance that this prize-money will be attractive to quality players.

Field size is likely to be restricted to 80. The venue has previously held events with 136 in the field.

kind regards
starter

DoroPhil
02-02-2004, 10:07 PM
DoroPhil.
Now, I can see you read my response to your first post. Was there any reason why you didn’t answer the questions about whether you played last year and how much you paid? I don’t have access to Dandenong’s records so I am not trying to second-guess your identity. I am just trying to see it from your view >> how much did you pay last year, and is $45 an increase.

No, I didn't play last year. Last time I played Vic Open was at Dandenong 2 or 3 years ago. From memory, entry fee was $45 ($35 concession). Could be off by $5 but it was less than $60 for sure and no additional VCA registration fee either.

I can comment on this (and your other questions) but I will wait for your reply to my two questions above.

Go ahead.

But, for less prize money last year the Dandenong Club ran a successful event that attracted a field that had good quality.

Not really. Last years Vic Open: top seed - S.Solomon (ok), 2nd seed - D.Hacche (not so good), 3rd seed - somebody rated under2000 (real sad). This is just not a good quality field for premiere event. Do you agree?

And could you talk about rating groups a bit, i.e. how having under1050 group will help attract top players.

Thanks

Bill Gletsos
02-02-2004, 10:52 PM
Also, additional $15 for non-members of any clubs, nice touch that. So basically, organizers are saying: if your are not playing in any clubs this year you less welcome to play in Vic OPEN. Now that will get more entrants.
Isn't the Vic Open run on behalf of Chess Victoria.
And isnt Chess Victoria's membership based on clubs not individuals.
Therefore shouldnt entrants in the Vic Open have to be members of a club and hence members of CV to participate.
If you are not then shouldnt you have to pay an additional fee.

All seems reasonable to me.

Bill Gletsos
02-02-2004, 10:57 PM
Dorophil, I think it is standard practice in all STATES for members of an Association to get discounts for major events.
Not in NSW. After all in NSWCA events only members can play. If they are from interstate then they must be members of their respective state associations.

ursogr8
03-02-2004, 07:38 AM
No, I didn't play last year. Last time I played Vic Open was at Dandenong 2 or 3 years ago. From memory, entry fee was $45 ($35 concession). Could be off by $5 but it was less than $60 for sure and no additional VCA registration fee either.

Thanks

Dorophil
Most players will be early bird entry, $45. On the recall of your playing three years ago at Dandenong this is not a price increase as $45 was the charge then. So I don’t see an issue for 95% of the field who enter early. It is just the late-comers who will pay the higher rate.

Concessions have been well discussed on this board on other threads and seem to be generally out of favour with other tournament organisers. Very few posters here who run tournaments have been able to point to a beneficial effect on the entries. So, this being our first year running the OPEN, we have relied on the advice of others on this point.

Not really. Last years Vic Open: top seed - S.Solomon (ok), 2nd seed - D.Hacche (not so good), 3rd seed - somebody rated under2000 (real sad). This is just not a good quality field for premiere event. Do you agree?

And could you talk about rating groups a bit, i.e. how having under1050 group will help attract top players.

Thanks
Last years field is for DCC and CV to judge; and you if you wish.
I didn’t go to that week-ender.

Finally, rating group prizes are not put in place to attract top players; if that is how I am to read your question. In fact I struggle to see what your question is. It seems self-evident that rating prizes for low rating groups will not attract top players.
As I see it; this is an OPEN tournament, and is likely to have entrants from 2200+ to 950+, and everywhere in between. Are you suggesting the bottom half of the field should have no prizes to play for?

Can you re-phrase your question and I will have another go at answering.

Prize money for top place is increased 33% to $1000. We hope this is attractive.

starter

ursogr8
03-02-2004, 02:38 PM
Not in NSW. After all in NSWCA events only members can play. If they are from interstate then they must be members of their respective state associations.

Bill
The moment I typed 'discounts' I knew that this would be queried by other States. I should have re-phrased then.

Is it not true that there is a members fee to be paid to join the NSWCA?
So, if a new tournament comes up and a non-member wants to play, then he has to join? But someone who was already a member therefore has less outlay for that new tournament. Is this not a discounted rate for the existing member?

starter

Bill Gletsos
03-02-2004, 03:11 PM
Bill
The moment I typed 'discounts' I knew that this would be queried by other States. I should have re-phrased then.

Is it not true that there is a members fee to be paid to join the NSWCA?
So, if a new tournament comes up and a non-member wants to play, then he has to join? But someone who was already a member therefore has less outlay for that new tournament. Is this not a discounted rate for the existing member?
Nice try but I dont think so.
The "old" member had to pay a membership fee at some stage.
So within the financial year both the new and old members have paid:
1) Membership fee to the NSWCA.
2) Entry fee to the tournament.

Assuming both members are non concession, non country members then their costs are the same.

ursogr8
03-02-2004, 03:23 PM
Nice try but I dont think so.
The "old" member had to pay a membership fee at some stage.
So within the financial year both the new and old members have paid:
1) Membership fee to the NSWCA.
2) Entry fee to the tournament.

Assuming both members are non concession, non country members then their costs are the same.

Yes, but but but, Bill, the point is that the 'old' member will play a number of tournaments during the course of the year (well, pedantically speaking, some 'old' members will). Those 'old' members who play multiple tournaments notionally have their annual subs 'amortised' over more than 1 tournament. Hence they pay less for the tournament than the 'new' member who is joining to play this one tournament. Hence lower/cost = notional/discount.

Now I know why I didn't bother with the re-phrase.

starter

Bill Gletsos
03-02-2004, 04:03 PM
Yes, but but but, Bill, the point is that the 'old' member will play a number of tournaments during the course of the year (well, pedantically speaking, some 'old' members will). Those 'old' members who play multiple tournaments notionally have their annual subs 'amortised' over more than 1 tournament. Hence they pay less for the tournament than the 'new' member who is joining to play this one tournament. Hence lower/cost = notional/discount.
I doubt anyone would see it as a discount. :whistle:

They might however see there membership as getting them more value for money based on the number of tournaments they play in, but since everyone can join at the start of the year the potential is the same for every member.
Some will exercise it and some wont.

Now I know why I didn't bother with the re-phrase.
:wink:

denis1
03-02-2004, 10:32 PM

HoboPhil's great, deep incite into chess. Well then if last year was so bad, why are you questioning the changes made for this year, which are there to get the numbers up.

Not to get nasty, but you sound like a moron. If you want to sit back at home and bitch about other people volunteering there time and effort to run these tournaments. You dont even play in them, who are you to judge their efforts? If you want to help why not come and run our canteen for us, that might be something you are capable of. :owned:

Entry fee's going up? Inflation.
No concession? Aw, have a cry.
8 Rating group prizes? Why not?
$1000!! woo.

Prehaps this is not the most diplomatic of posts but hey.

Garvinator
03-02-2004, 10:46 PM
HoboPhil's great, deep incite into chess. Well then if last year was so bad, why are you questioning the changes made for this year, which are there to get the numbers up.

Not to get nasty, but you sound like a moron. If you want to sit back at home and bitch about other people volunteering there time and effort to run these tournaments. You dont even play in them, who are you to judge their efforts? If you want to help why not come and run our canteen for us, that might be something you are capable of. :owned:

$1000!! woo.

Prehaps this is not the most diplomatic of posts but hey.

welcome to the bb denis :D

interesting phenomena, posters start on here in a blaze of glory, abusing someone usually :doh: and then start to settle down to debating topics :clap:

by the way denis did you just win the australian junior championship?

DoroPhil
04-02-2004, 07:18 AM
Not to get nasty, but I sound like a moron.

That's OK, don't worry about it :)

$1000!! woo.

See, Starter, wasn't that hard, was it? Explains everything perfectly. Thanks Denis.

ursogr8
04-02-2004, 07:29 AM
See, Starter, wasn't that hard, was it? Explains everything perfectly. Thanks Denis.

And it also shows the value of the Committee approach DoroPhil. If one member can't explain issues to the satisfaction of BB posters then another member can. Well done Denis.

BTW DoroPhil, one of our sponsors ($300) is the Fischer-Random Support Group, not the Fishy-random Group as you mis-typed. Sponsors need to be looked after my friend and I could do with your help on attention to detail.

Can we mark you down for an early-bird entry to the 2004 Victorian OPEN after an absence of 3 years or so?

We are re-considering your comment on the 7pm start of a round. (I misinterpreted your intent on your very first post on this thread; but we are now on track with what you suggest). On Day 1 (a Saturday), we are likely to change the schedule for the evening session to start earlier. Details will posted on the VIC OPEN web-site.

regards
starter

DoroPhil
04-02-2004, 02:17 PM
We are re-considering your comment on the 7pm start of a round. (I misinterpreted your intent on your very first post on this thread; but we are now on track with what you suggest). On Day 1 (a Saturday), we are likely to change the schedule for the evening session to start earlier. Details will posted on the VIC OPEN web-site.

starter

Well, that's a start, starter, glad to be of assistance, lets see what happens.

BroadZ
04-02-2004, 08:20 PM
Not to get nasty, but you sound like a moron.

then i see DoroPhil quoting denis with "Not to get nasty, but I sound like a moron"

anyone else detect DoroPhil tampering with denis's quote in his attempt to make himself look like an even bigger moron?

skip to my lou
04-02-2004, 08:31 PM
Yes I picked it up, and the post is still there.

Now... Will this be allowed on the BB?? (Changing other peoples messages in quote)

BroadZ
04-02-2004, 08:34 PM
on a different note, im more than happy to see box hill hosting the vic open - the ppl runnin the place are very effecient, and certainly have good tactics in getting unpaid entry fees! although i know next to nothing bout the other clubs in victoria that couldve hosted it, i cant imagine that they could be better than box hill - i cant see the entry fees being a problem, and from what i gather(i might be wrong) the entry fees have only gone up slightly in the past 3 yrs - so what? i dont care(and with my knack for being extremely disorganised im sure ill be payin top $$$) and im sure many of the other ppl entering dont care either - and im sure that denis would be more than happy to put that $1000 check next to the aussie jnr one

BroadZ
04-02-2004, 08:36 PM
Yes I picked it up, and the post is still there.

Now... Will this be allowed on the BB?? (Changing other peoples messages in quote)

ah lets allow it Jeo, that way we can catch out the idiots who do that, and theyll feel twice the ass as opposed to if theyre tampering never got onto the bb at all

skip to my lou
04-02-2004, 09:03 PM
okay :)

ursogr8
04-02-2004, 10:06 PM
on a different note, im more than happy to see box hill hosting the vic open - the ppl runnin the place are very effecient, and certainly have good tactics in getting unpaid entry fees!

I noticed a silver artefact, with the initials like the boots, being sold on e-bay during the week.

bobby1992
04-02-2004, 11:26 PM
looking very very good .there is a at least a thousand reasons why this will be a big one.

Rincewind
04-02-2004, 11:30 PM
Not this one, but our membership is free anyway.

Does that mean I don't have to be a member of NSWCA any more. If I want to play ni a NSWCA event I just say I'm a card-carrying member of the TCA? :p

(What??? Residency restrictions??? Bah, humbug).

BroadZ
05-02-2004, 03:45 PM
I noticed a silver artefact, with the initials like the boots, being sold on e-bay during the week.

dont you go sellin my stuff starter!

AES
05-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Dorophil.

you are not president of united states.
nobody has do everything you says.

there is concession. what is problem with 8 rating groups?

listen to starter.

ursogr8
05-02-2004, 04:15 PM
dont you go sellin my stuff starter!

If the e-Bay bid gets to $15 by 4pm Friday I will be sorely tempted.
Have you got the readies this week?

ursogr8
05-02-2004, 04:19 PM
Dorophil.

you are not president of united states.
nobody has do everything you says.

there is concession. what is problem with 8 rating groups?

listen to starter.

AES

If Phil de Dor has a good idea then we consider.
If Phil de Dor has a not such a good idea, then we tell him thanks, but no thanks.

You never know where his publicity might go.

starter

BroadZ
05-02-2004, 04:28 PM
If the e-Bay bid gets to $15 by 4pm Friday I will be sorely tempted.
Have you got the readies this week?

definately. collectin $100 tomorrow from a bunch of 50yr old+ chess books - hehe, cant believe the dopes who bought em

firegoat7
07-02-2004, 04:29 AM
Hello,

Tournament sounds great and well organised.
As a personal opinion I would like to see a concession rate for juniors/pensioners/students and the unemployed. Even a small token discount like $5 sends out the correct message that chess is a pursuit that caters for all socio-economic sections of society.
Good luck!

ursogr8
16-02-2004, 07:53 AM

1 Early bird now closes before end-of-May.

2 Registration fee for players who are not members of affiliated clubs has been reduced from $15 to $10. (Dorophil's initiative).

3 No computers will be playing in the event, only people.

starter

Full details for the 2004 VICTORIAN OPEN will be published at
as they are decided. This web-site is now available; and includes details for the VIC JUNIOR as well.

ursogr8
16-02-2004, 08:23 AM
Hello,

Tournament sounds great and well organised.
As a personal opinion I would like to see a concession rate for juniors/pensioners/students and the unemployed. Even a small token discount like $5 sends out the correct message that chess is a pursuit that caters for all socio-economic sections of society.
Good luck!

Thanks fg7 for your good wishes.

The organising committee debated 'messages' that can be sent to society in the fees schedule of a chess tournament. Basically they decided
i) those who are interested in saving a dollar should have access to an Early-Bird discount. This is in place.
ii) members of affiliated clubs should get some benefits. This is in place.

regards
starter

ursogr8
25-02-2004, 07:21 AM
looking very very good .there is a at least a thousand reasons why this will be a big one.

The 2004 VICTORIAN OPEN organising committee has guaranteed funds to cover $3000 prize money. They have now set themselves the target of $3500 prize money and are well on the way of reaching this target with some new initiatives to raise cash.

So, Ascaro, are you tempted to the Early Bird entry yet. When you do, I would like to use your name as a headliner. They tell me you are an early-adopter of all good things new. And you attract a crowd. :)

starter

ps web details at

eclectic
28-02-2004, 12:50 AM
The 2004 VICTORIAN OPEN organising committee has guaranteed funds to cover $3000 prize money. They have now set themselves the target of $3500 prize money and are well on the way of reaching this target with some new initiatives to raise cash.

So, Ascaro, are you tempted to the Early Bird entry yet. When you do, I would like to use your name as a headliner. They tell me you are an early-adopter of all good things new. And you attract a crowd. :)

starter

ps web details at
www.vicchess.netfirms.com (http://www.vicchess.netfirms.com/)I notice that the Victorian Open is not a Grand Prix (Class 3 ?) event this year. I can't be sure if it was on the GP circuit last year.

Assuming a maximum of 120 participants the organisers are saving themselves $390 ( $150 for Class 3 + 120 x $2 ) by not having it as part of the GP circuit.

This probably translates into maybe 2 or 3 ratings prizes but perhaps at the expense of discouraging interstate or even local players annoyed that it is not part of the GP circuit.

I know that arguments concerning the future? of the Grand Prix are elsewhere.

The prize pool is presently $3500. It would be good* if it could climb to $5000.

The way I would distribute the prizemoney in that case:

(1st: $1000) (2nd: $900) (3rd: $700) (4th: $400)
8 ratings group prizes of $250 each

Now how do I knock over this straw man ?

eclectic

* Should I replace the word "good" with the phrase "a miracle" ?

Garvinator
28-02-2004, 10:21 AM
I notice that the Victorian Open is not a Grand Prix (Class 3 ?) event this year. I can't be sure if it was on the GP circuit last year.

Assuming a maximum of 120 participants the organisers are saving themselves $390 ( $150 for Class 3 + 120 x $2 ) by not having it as part of the GP circuit.

This probably translates into maybe 2 or 3 ratings prizes but perhaps at the expense of discouraging interstate or even local players annoyed that it is not part of the GP circuit.

I know that arguments concerning the future? of the Grand Prix are elsewhere.

The prize pool is presently $3500. It would be good* if it could climb to $5000.

eclectic

yes i am wondering why the vic open isnt part of the 2004 grand prix, there is a vacancy for that weekend. Would you like further information starter ;)

ursogr8
28-02-2004, 03:54 PM
I notice that the Victorian Open is not a Grand Prix (Class 3 ?) event this year. I can't be sure if it was on the GP circuit last year.

Can anyone help ‘eclectic’ on this score. Perhaps ChessGuru or Bob1?

eclectic
We have already changed the design of the tournament to suit feedback received from this BB. (Thanks Dorophil and one or two others). Still happy to redesign by making this a GP event. If you are from Interstate, and making this tournament a GP event would tip the balance and persuade you to come to Melbourne for the VIC OPEN then PMto me in the next fortnight.

eclectic

eclectic

Again it is your straw man. You can do what you wish with it. If you don’t know how to knock it over you could always bury it.
But that would be a pity because this is the best looking straw man you have built.
Whether it springs to life will be entirely dependant on the fund-raiser on the organising Committee.

The tone of your footnote seems to spoil what was a good post. Try to have good positive thoughts ‘eclectic’.

starter

ursogr8
28-02-2004, 04:01 PM
yes i am wondering why the vic open isnt part of the 2004 grand prix, there is a vacancy for that weekend. Would you like further information starter ;)

tks for the offer 'ragy'
The costs have already been calculated for me by eclectic.
The benefits will be added up by me when I start to receive PMs from interstaters who say this will tip the balance and make them come to the VIC OPEN week-ender.

starter

ursogr8
29-02-2004, 06:55 PM
[QUOTE=eclectic]

eclectic
[QUOTE/]

eclectic

The organising committee has expressed confusion at your interest in an increase in the prize-money and the distribution. They have asked me to seek clarity
> are you an early entrant whose paperwork is in the mail?
>> are you offering to supplement the current prize-fund?
>>> are you offering to join the organising committee to strive for the new objective you have set?

Volunteers and entrants are always welcomed 'eclectic'. Please reply soon.

starter

ursogr8
02-03-2004, 11:13 AM
eclectic

We have already changed the design of the tournament to suit feedback received from this BB. (Thanks Dorophil and one or two others). Still happy to redesign by making this a GP event. If you are from Interstate, and making this tournament a GP event would tip the balance and persuade you to come to Melbourne for the VIC OPEN then PM to me in the next fortnight.

starter

To All Interstaters

This offer to apply for GP status for the VIC OPEN needs to be acted on by you. I repeat the offer >
If you are from Interstate, and making this tournament a GP event would tip the balance and persuade you to come to Melbourne for the VIC OPEN then PM to me in the next fortnight.

starter

ursogr8
07-03-2004, 12:57 PM
To All Interstaters

[/B].

starter

The VIC OPEN organising committee are discussing the concept of one invited IM (Interstate, other than Victoria) playing in the VIC OPEN week-ender. Are there any IM's interested in playing from their home base, remote from VICTORIA?

Bill
This concept has been discussed before. There are no new issues about rating this just because we are considering for a week-ender?

starter

ursogr8
11-03-2004, 02:22 PM
All
Big news; we have PICS on our web-site.

The VIC OPEN web-site is under novice control and he just excitedly tells me that he has added PICS at
http://www.vicchess.netfirms.com/Open%20news.htm

Do you want to see what you are getting yourself into by entering? Have a gander at the site.

Amiel
All details on other pages at the site. Anything extra, just ask.

Bill
Any thoughts on post #51 on this thread?

starter

Commentator
14-03-2004, 10:14 AM
All

The VIC OPEN web-site is under novice control and he just excitedly tells me that he has added PICS at

Do you want to see what you are getting yourself into by entering? Have a gander at the site.

Amiel

Bill

starter

I recognise some of the players in the photos on the web-site. Are both playing rooms at the venue going to be used? And the analysis room at the back of the venue too?

By the way, is the 25% discount for EARLY BIRD entries the largest % EB discount ever offered for a major event?

C

Garvinator
14-03-2004, 10:15 AM
All

Amiel

Bill

starterclearly bill has no thoughts :lol: ;)

arosar
15-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Hey starter....thanks for the info mate. I just rang that harvey world travel agent and she sounded very sorta chirpy and hospitable. I'm glad you guys are very friendly people. I'm flying back to Sydney on 15th though, in avro, so maybe I can pop into MCC to say hello to fg7. Is he normally friendly?

AR

ursogr8
15-03-2004, 12:13 PM
Hey starter....thanks for the info mate. I just rang that harvey world travel agent and she sounded very sorta chirpy and hospitable. I'm glad you guys are very friendly people. I'm flying back to Sydney on 15th though, in avro, so maybe I can pop into MCC to say hello to fg7. Is he normally friendly?

AR

AR, mate, buddy.

Thanks for ringing the lady; Harvey World travel just gave us $xxx to sponsor the event; and when there is a booking within 24 hours, by a northerner, then she must think she is on a winner with our VIC OPEN.

Now as to fg7, I can do no better than refer you to post #10 on the 'Australia Day Open at MCC' thread in Tournament News (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=302&page=1).
Read the mood piece first. And then track down a post I recall from fg7 where he said he had a mate and they wanted to show you the delights of Brunswick St. I am sure they will make you welcome.

Finally, can I use your name in the advertising of the event? I am aiming at all niches.

starter

arosar
15-03-2004, 01:44 PM
Thanks starter mate. Btw, you blokes entered her email addy incorrectly. It is peta@jetage.com.au NOT peta@etage.com.au as it appears on your site atm. Might wanna get it fixed ASAP.

About this business of using me good name - I'll need to consult with my own PR people first and see what they think of it. At this time you may not do so since I don't know the exact context and copy. ;)

AR

ursogr8
15-03-2004, 04:12 PM
Thanks starter mate. Btw, you blokes entered her email addy incorrectly. It is peta@jetage.com.au NOT peta@etage.com.au as it appears on your site atm. Might wanna get it fixed ASAP.

About this business of using me good name - I'll need to consult with my own PR people first and see what they think of it. At this time you may not do so since I don't know the exact context and copy. ;)

AR

Thanks AR.
That pickup of yours is worth a free drink on the organisers.
We will fix pronto.

Now, about the advertising, I had in mind something like post #24 at
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=251&page=2

starter

arosar
15-03-2004, 04:38 PM
also her phone # is wrong. It's 03 9877 2444. That's 2 schooners you owe me.

AR

ursogr8
15-03-2004, 06:22 PM
also her phone # is wrong. It's 03 9877 2444. That's 2 schooners you owe me.

AR

AR :oops: :oops: :oops: :(
I told you the web-master was a novice. It was his first try. Looks like his excitment over-powered his accuracy. BTW, I hope you gave her your correct number. ;)

Now, a schooner, that is something that requires a wet area, right? Did you know that Box Hill is a dry municipality? Probably have to wait until you get to Brunswick St mate.

starter

arosar
15-03-2004, 06:24 PM
Dry eh? I'll ask gray to bring along a Queensland Labour polie.

AR

Garvinator
15-03-2004, 07:08 PM
Dry eh? I'll ask gray to bring along a Queensland Labour polie.

AR
will you now :eek: why did you pick on me, there is the good doctor and bruce from qld on here :p

Rincewind
15-03-2004, 09:38 PM
will you now :eek: why did you pick on me, there is the good doctor and bruce from qld on here :p

I thought BD, DrDR and GG were just a triple-headed hydra. :eek: :eek:

:p :lol:

Garvinator
15-03-2004, 09:45 PM
I thought BD, DrDR and GG were just a triple-headed hydra. :eek: :eek:

:p :lol:
your right barry, about as much right as cl and bill gletsos being the same person :owned: :whistle: :clap:

ursogr8
21-03-2004, 07:34 PM
The VICTORIAN JUNIOR Championship is part of the same organisation effort as the VICTORIAN OPEN this year. They are all being run in the middle of 2004 by the Box Hill Chess Club.
A web-site dedicated to this pair of events is at an address given previously.

An Allegro fundraiser was run today (Sunday 21/3) as part of the normal cycle of Rookies and Queens Cup events.

70 players attended the fund-raiser with net income well in excess of the budget and Over the $1000 mark. The VIC Junior looks like being a juicy target this year to win.

Incidentally, a little word-puzzle for you. The President of Chess VICTORIA was a (paying) entrant of the 7 round ALLEGRO today. He was late for all rounds except one. And a no-show for one.
Please explain how this is possible.

starter

eclectic
21-03-2004, 08:15 PM
Incidentally, a little word-puzzle for you. The President of Chess VICTORIA was a (paying) entrant of the 7 round ALLEGRO today. He was late for all rounds except one. And a no-show for one.
Please explain how this is possible.

starterstarter,

is the puzzle simple ?

or deceptive like an andrew ballam sunday night chess chat puzzle ?

or does it require some digestion as befits someone whose genealogy concerns the makers of the finest cakes and pastries ?

does the first correct answer get a free entry into the 2004 victorian open :lol:

i'm sure it's something obvious but it's not clicking :hmm:

[i need to look at a blank piece of paper ... or a fly walking on the wall]

eclectic

ursogr8
21-03-2004, 10:17 PM
starter,

is the puzzle simple ?

or deceptive like an andrew ballam sunday night chess chat puzzle ?

or does it require some digestion as befits someone whose genealogy concerns the makers of the finest cakes and pastries ?

does the first correct answer get a free entry into the 2004 victorian open :lol:

i'm sure it's something obvious but it's not clicking :hmm:

[i need to look at a blank piece of paper ... or a fly walking on the wall]

eclectic

hi eclectic
The little puzzle is easy when you know the answer; and perhaps easy even when you are trying to work out the answer.
Anyhow, here is a general hint for all similar problem-solving > Believe that there is an answer; it helps.

starter

eclectic
21-03-2004, 11:44 PM
hi eclectic
The little puzzle is easy when you know the answer; and perhaps easy even when you are trying to work out the answer.
Anyhow, here is a general hint for all similar problem-solving > Believe that there is an answer; it helps.

starterdoes australian chess have its "answer" yet ??

it's after midnight and i'm being totally silly with this comment
in fact the late graham chapman of monty python grail might have said
that any suggestion that australian chess could ever find "the answer" is
SILLY in the extreme

(now where am i ?)

(oh yes ... )

ursogr8
24-03-2004, 06:51 AM
does australian chess have its "answer" yet ??

it's after midnight and i'm being totally silly with this comment
in fact the late graham chapman of monty python grail might have said
that any suggestion that australian chess could ever find "the answer" is
SILLY in the extreme

(now where am i ?)

(oh yes ... )
eclectic
HINT >> Look at the bottom of the cross-table.
starter

ursogr8
24-03-2004, 06:56 AM
Bill

We have received 7 applicants, from an overseas chess federation, to play in the Victorian OPEN. One or more may be at IM level. Can you advise how we should select a rating number, for each, to get them fairly in the pairings. It is likely that all have local (o/s) ratings; and even some with FIDE ratings.
We would be reluctant to have them classed as unrated.

starter

Bill Gletsos
24-03-2004, 10:09 AM
Bill

We have received 7 applicants, from an overseas chess federation, to play in the Victorian OPEN. One or more may be at IM level. Can you advise how we should select a rating number, for each, to get them fairly in the pairings. It is likely that all have local (o/s) ratings; and even some with FIDE ratings.
We would be reluctant to have them classed as unrated.

starter
Lets split your question into two parts.
As far as getting them in the correct order for pairings then if they have a FIDE rating use that, otherwise if they have a rating within their own country use that.

When it comes to their actually being processed for rating, make sure you inform the Vic Ratings Officer that the players have either a FIDE or National rating.

If they have a FIDE rating I will definately use it.
If they have a national, I may or may not use it depending on whether, their performance is anywhere near their national rating.
e.g A player has a national rating of 2100. He plays in your tournamnet and performs at the 1800 level. I would be inclined to not seed him with a 2100 rating but let him enter the Australian pool as unrated and let the system determine a rating for him based on his performance.

ursogr8
24-03-2004, 11:37 AM
Lets split your question into two parts.
As far as getting them in the correct order for pairings then if they have a FIDE rating use that, otherwise if they have a rating within their own country use that.

When it comes to their actually being processed for rating, make sure you inform the Vic Ratings Officer that the players have either a FIDE or National rating.

If they have a FIDE rating I will definately use it.
If they have a national, I may or may not use it depending on whether, their performance is anywhere near their national rating.
e.g A player has a national rating of 2100. He plays in your tournamnet and performs at the 1800 level. I would be inclined to not seed him with a 2100 rating but let him enter the Australian pool as unrated and let the system determine a rating for him based on his performance.

Bill

Nice response. Thanks. Very clear.

starter

Ian_Rogers
25-03-2004, 02:31 AM
Which overseas federation, Starter?

arosar
25-03-2004, 08:27 AM
starter...mate....I have sent you extra info.

AR

Bill Gletsos
25-03-2004, 11:17 AM
Which overseas federation, Starter?
Yes, I meant to ask that question too.

ursogr8
28-03-2004, 10:41 AM

AR

hey AR,
We have had more feedback from Peta at Harvey World Travel. She said you were such a nice man, on the phone. :eek: :clap:

And in answer to your question, my contacts tell me fg7 is normally friendly.

starter

ursogr8
29-03-2004, 09:28 AM
I notice on the web-site that the VIC JUNIOR 2004 is attracting quite a few early bird entries and donations are looking healthy.
You can see pics of your opponents at

http://www.vicchess.netfirms.com/Jun%20news.htm

arosar
29-03-2004, 10:06 AM
hey AR,
We have had more feedback from Peta at Harvey World Travel. She said you were such a nice man, on the phone.

OK...ok...you've twisted me arm. I will throw business her way. I'll still need to book accom so I'll call her.

AR

Garvinator
29-03-2004, 10:20 AM
OK...ok...you've twisted me arm. I will throw business her way. I'll still need to book accom so I'll call her.

AR
so you can stay with her :lol: :whistle: ;)

Davidflude
01-04-2004, 07:26 PM
Just because Starter spells my nickname incorrectly does not mean that he does not do a great job. (He does a great job).

The rating group prizes are necessary. It is expected that many of the Box Hill juniors will compete and many of them are way undergraded. (Be very scared).

For out of towners I point out:-

Our facilities are exellent.

Our tournaments are always well organised.

The area abounds in good chinese resteraunts.

ursogr8
01-04-2004, 08:51 PM
Just because Starter spells my nickname incorrectly does not mean that he does not do a great job. (He does a great job).

The rating group prizes are necessary. It is expected that many of the Box Hill juniors will compete and many of them are way undergraded. (Be very scared).

For out of towners I point out:-

Our facilities are exellent.

Our tournaments are always well organised.

The area abounds in good chinese resteraunts.

How many of you out there have been able to dictate your own nickname. Not many? Well, we call him Fluedy, and it has stuck.

Now Dave here is the spelling cafe >restaurant. Got it? Good.

"The area abounds in good restaurants."

starter

ursogr8
14-04-2004, 12:46 PM

AR

hi AR

I have had that motel you PM'd about checked out. It is less than 10 minute walk from the venue.

starter

Garvinator
15-04-2004, 04:31 PM
Amiel,

Have you made a decision yet about if you are going to play in the victorian open?

arosar
15-04-2004, 04:38 PM
Amiel,

Have you made a decision yet about if you are going to play in the victorian open?

What the . . . ? Why you ask man?

Anyways, I did weeks ago!! Flight booked. Hotel booked. Entry fee on the way tomorrow.

AR

Garvinator
15-04-2004, 04:44 PM
What the . . . ? Why you ask man?

Anyways, I did weeks ago!! Flight booked. Hotel booked. Entry fee on the way tomorrow.

AR
sorry, didnt realise that you had everything booked already :wall: ill take that as a yes then :lol: :doh:

arosar
15-04-2004, 04:53 PM
The other tourn I'm thinking of going is some tourn in Tassie in Oct. Also considering organising a Filipino team to go to the Clubs comp in GC. But the problem here is cost - so at this time the probability is low. The other problem of course is finding a reasonably competent sheila to play for us what with the ridiculous rule they got going. Else I'll just ask to play for another team meself. Funny, you know, this year, I'm getting that tourn bug again. Dunno why.

AR

Garvinator
15-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Also considering organising a Filipino team to go to the Clubs comp in GC. But the problem here is cost - so at this time the probability is low. The other problem of course is finding a reasonably competent sheila to play for us what with the ridiculous rule they got going. Else I'll just ask to play for another team meself. Funny, you know, this year, I'm getting that tourn big again. Dunno why.

AR

ill take sheila to mean female. Anyways, im sure Graeme Gardiner could help you with getting an extra female for your team. Would Arianne be of any use to you ;)

Garvinator
16-04-2004, 11:13 AM
What the . . . ? Why you ask man?AR
since you have replied in such a polite manner on the phillipines thread, ill reply in kind with the truth.

The reason I asked why you were going to the victorian open is that the nsw open is on the same weekend and I wanted to know which tourney you were going to. Which ever one you were going to, i was going to go to the other one. So as your going to the vic open, its nsw open for me.

arosar
16-04-2004, 04:05 PM
Hey gray, I know you don't like me gray, but are you able to help me with something man? It's about the GC teams event.

AR

Garvinator
16-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Hey gray, I know you don't like me gray, but are you able to help me with something man? It's about the GC teams event.

AR
even though i dont like someone, but im always willing to help or try and help for the good of chess. So what would you like me to try and follow up or do?

ursogr8
16-04-2004, 04:27 PM
even though i dont like someone, but im always willing to help or try and help for the good of chess. So what would you like me to try and follow up or do?

This is this the VIC OPEN thread, guys. Keep pure now.

starter

ursogr8
26-04-2004, 12:58 PM
I notice that IM Peter Froehlich's picture has appeared on the VICTORIA OPEN web-site. He must be a confirmed entrant.

http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/vicchess/Open%20news.htm

Some other canny players are taking advantage of the 25% early-bird discount.

star

ursogr8
08-05-2004, 09:18 PM
I notice that IM Peter Froehlich's picture has appeared on the VICTORIA OPEN web-site. He must be a confirmed entrant.

Some other canny players are taking advantage of the 25% early-bird discount.

starter

1 There was a rush of juniors to enter the VIC JUNIOR week-enders last night at the Box Hill Club. Obviously many were getting the significant Early Bird discount before the boom lowers. Visit the site to see who has entered. EB discounts are still available for a day or so.

2 I was told by the organiser last night that an interview with a Grand Master is soon to appear on the VIC OPEN web-site, and in this interview he will confirm his entry to the VIC OPEN.

3 Richard Voon looks a likley starter in the VIC OPEN now that he has been assured that the pairings are not likely to be accelerated.

starter

Mischa
08-05-2004, 11:01 PM
Tried to enter my kid in the Vic Open but apparently he is not affiliated so has to pay extra.... heis only a junior

Mischa
08-05-2004, 11:02 PM
Apparently only certain chess associations are regarded as suitable.

Bill Gletsos
08-05-2004, 11:07 PM
I guess your kid is not a member of a club affiliated with Chess Victoria.

Alan Shore
08-05-2004, 11:21 PM

Speaking of this, what do the state associations actually do? QLD chess players pay $10 membership to CAQ and we get pretty much nothing in return..

Garvinator
08-05-2004, 11:43 PM
Speaking of this, what do the state associations actually do? QLD chess players pay $10 membership to CAQ and we get pretty much nothing in return..
gets ever better bruce, you have to be a member of an affiliated club to get a vote at the caq agm. So we have the worst of both worlds. if you want to continue with caq stuff, start a new thread as this is victorian open thread ;)

ursogr8
09-05-2004, 07:54 AM
Tried to enter my kid in the Vic Open but apparently he is not affiliated so has to pay extra.... he is only a junior

hi noidea,...welcome to the Bulletin Board.

Two lots of good news for you.
1 You would probably be better advised entering your kid for the VIC JUNIOR OPEN and the charge that concerned you did not apply to that event.
2 If you enter by May 10 there is a very significant % discount.

The charge that was an issue to you is to cover ratings and registration costs levied by the State and National Associations who need to offeset their costs of running rating services. In previous years you could not play in the VIC OPEN unless you were a member of an affiliated Club. At least this year the conditions of entry have softened to admit all.

starter

ursogr8
09-05-2004, 07:58 AM

The VIC OPEN is legitimately an OPEN to all event.
All entrants are 'suitable' noidea. No-one is unsuitable.
Some pay more than others. For example IMs and GMs enter free if by the early-bird close-off. And discounts for ALL if you meet the early bird date too.

starter

ursogr8
09-05-2004, 08:45 AM
Just a reminder
VICTORIAN JUNIOR OPEN entries now being received and the closing date for Early Bird entries is the 10th of May.
Print off the form from
http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/vicchess/formjnr.htm
and post
or pay at Box Hill Chess Club next Tuesday evening after 6pm.

ursogr8
15-05-2004, 09:15 PM
Confirmed entrants for the VICTORIAN OPEN week-ender.
Just noted on the web-site set-up for this tournament that Stephen Solomon is a confirmed entrant and Darryl Johansen is a recent confirmed entrant. See all entrants noted at
http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/vicchess/

eclectic
18-05-2004, 04:51 PM
Confirmed entrants for the VICTORIAN OPEN week-ender.
Just noted on the web-site set-up for this tournament that Stephen Solomon is a confirmed entrant and Darryl Johansen is a recent confirmed entrant. See all entrants noted at
Given that this will be a FIDE rated event do those who have FIDE ratings get seeded at the top of the crosstable even if their ACF ratings are much lower?

ie Do FIDE ratings take precedence?

thanks

eclectic

ursogr8
19-05-2004, 12:16 PM
Given that this will be a FIDE rated event do those who have FIDE ratings get seeded at the top of the crosstable even if their ACF ratings are much lower?

thanks

eclectic

hi eclectic
Post #11, in response to your #10, indicated standard SWISS intended.

I would guess that a common set of ratings would apply.

starter

Commentator
19-05-2004, 01:10 PM
...do those who have FIDE ratings get seeded at the top of the crosstable even if their ACF ratings are much lower?

thanks

eclectic

To ECLECTIC

The web-site advises that Garry Wastell will be the Arbiter for this Open tournament. The question you ask would be decided by him on the first day of the event.

C

ursogr8
20-05-2004, 08:41 AM

thanks

eclectic

hi eclectic

Me again, 'starter'.
The organisers have read your post and asked me to draw your attention to a link on the VIC OPEN screen that says Detailed Rules. It should answer all your questions I think.

I have pasted in below a direct connect to the rules
http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/vicchess/vic_open_rules.htm

Now listen mate, just because I was able to find the rules, I am not going to defend their logic. When you read them you will see the hand of Gazza. Direct your questions to him. :uhoh:

starter

eclectic
20-05-2004, 02:30 PM
Now listen mate, just because I was able to find the rules, I am not going to defend their logic. When you read them you will see the hand of Gazza. Direct your questions to him. :uhoh:

thanks starter,

all straightforward

:)

eclectic

ursogr8
26-05-2004, 08:28 AM
Only five more days to take advantage of the largest Early-Bird discount on offer for the VICTORIAN OPEN week-ender.

Already 3 IMs and 1GM have entered, and free entry is available to these when before the E-B cutoff of 31 May.

The web-site containing all details is at

The field is building and is likely to reach the maximum field size.

$1000 first prize, and 8 Rating group prizes of $100 each according to the web-site. Sponsor funds fully cover prizes already.

Leisure centre has been hired for between rounds analysis, coffee, or sports.

eclectic
26-05-2004, 05:09 PM
Only five more days to take advantage of the largest Early-Bird discount on offer for the VICTORIAN OPEN week-ender.

... before the E-B cutoff of 31 May.

.... and 8 Rating group prizes of $100 each according to the
[apologies for the eclectic editing :p ]

Dear starter,

So the E-B cutoff has been extended one day ?

Have the rating prizes been revised down from $120 or is this a typo?

The best game prize is an excellent idea though.

eclectic

ursogr8
26-05-2004, 09:27 PM
[apologies for the eclectic editing :p ]

Dear starter,

So the E-B cutoff has been extended one day ?

Have the rating prizes been revised down from $120 or is this a typo?

The best game prize is an excellent idea though.

eclectic

hi eclectic

And you certainly are an eagle-eyed poster. :)
First, the $120 rating prize in each of 8 rating divisions; this was not a typo; I was not W-R-O-N-G; I was out-of-date. The organising committee has been doing so well with sponsorship that they upped the amount since I last looked. So this is BIG NEWS. Rating prize is $120 in each of 8 rating groups. Do you have ambition eclectic?

Second, we stand by our notices.......put an entry in our hands eclectic, by 31 May, and you only pay the early-bird entry fee.

tks for asking

starter

ursogr8
30-05-2004, 07:48 AM
Only two more days to take advantage of the largest Early-Bird discount on offer for the VICTORIAN OPEN week-ender.

Already 3 IMs and 1GM have entered, and free entry is available to these when before the E-B cutoff of 31 May.

The web-site containing all details is at

$1000 first prize, and 8 Rating group prizes of $120 each according to the web-site. Sponsor funds fully cover prizes already.

Leisure centre has been hired for between rounds analysis, coffee, or sports.

There was late flurry of entrants on Friday night as canny players took advantage of the 25% early-bird discount. The discount has had a beneficial effect on entries and the break-even point has already been reached. Organisers must now re-consider increasing the attractive prize-list as late entries will swell the pot. Bets are being taken as to whether the field/venue limit will be reached.

starter

Alan Shore
30-05-2004, 09:04 AM
You realise 'early-bird discount' is simply a more appealing phrase than 'late-fee avoidance' :p

ursogr8
31-05-2004, 08:40 AM
You realise 'early-bird discount' is simply a more appealing phrase than 'late-fee avoidance' :p

BD

Not sure I understand? We are not planning to have late-comers after the start of the tournament. In fact, we now expect to reach the field limit well before the start of round 1.

starter

Rincewind
31-05-2004, 10:08 AM
Not sure I understand? We are not planning to have late-comers after the start of the tournament. In fact, we now expect to reach the field limit well before the start of round 1.

If you do, will you rename it the Victorian CLOSED 2004?

ursogr8
31-05-2004, 10:20 AM
If you do, will you rename it the Victorian CLOSED 2004?

Barry
:eek: Are you provoking me?

We clearly would re-name it
2004 VICTORIAN LIMITED

starter

eclectic
31-05-2004, 10:53 AM
BD

starter
starter,

I think you mean late-joiner rather than latecomer.

Even if you get 120 players entered by midnight tonight (May 31) you can rest assured that there will be players who will turn up late on the Saturday perhaps even thinking that Rd 1 starts at 2.00 pm like previous years.

If the quota does get filled then the Rd 1 draw (confirmed not provisional) might even be available to competitors well before the 12.00 starting time.

eclectic

Garvinator
31-05-2004, 11:29 AM
Even if you get 120 players entered by midnight tonight (May 31)

question for starter, why 120 players instead of the maximum 128 players for a seven round draw?

ursogr8
02-06-2004, 08:17 AM
question for starter, why 120 players instead of the maximum 128 players for a seven round draw?

Good morning eclectic

My guess is that your suggested 128 has got something to do with a power of 2. But the relevance is not known to me. You need to elucidate.

120 will be our limit because we have no more tables & chairs in the playing arena.

A nearby leisure centre has been hired to use for analysis, coaching and sports between rounds.
A nearby courtyard has been booked to centralise the transfer players.

starter

ursogr8
02-06-2004, 08:23 AM
starter,

Even if you get 120 players entered by midnight tonight (May 31) you can rest assured that there will be players who will turn up late on the Saturday perhaps even thinking that Rd 1 starts at 2.00 pm like previous years.

Just a technicality my friend eclectic. If folks turn up after the 120 limit is reached they will be spectators, not players as you called them.

If the quota does get filled then the Rd 1 draw (confirmed not provisional) might even be available to competitors well before the 12.00 starting time.

eclectic

I have two ambitions in life eclectic. The first is to belong to a chess club that has a waiting list. The second, is to start a tournament on time with the confirmed pairings on display early.
I have already achieved one ambition.

starter

eclectic
02-06-2004, 08:41 AM
The second, is to start a tournament on time with the confirmed pairings on display early.
I have already achieved one ambition.

starter
hope springs eternal ... or is it "perpetual" for chess players? :)

eclectic

ps it was ggrayggray who asked the 120/128 player question not me

ursogr8
02-06-2004, 09:04 AM
eclectic

ps it was ggrayggray who asked the 120/128 player question not me

Oops. Sorry eclectic.
I got misled by your post #116, and by the Captain last night attributing the 128 to you.

OK ggragyggragy
Tell us where the 128 comes from, please.

starter

ursogr8
02-06-2004, 09:30 AM
hope springs eternal ... or is it "perpetual" for chess players? :)

eclectic

Nice line eclectic. :)

Our specialist on the BB on 'hope' is bobby1972. He had a thread on the topic.

And that reminds me........Ascaro, you showed great interest in the VIC OPEN prizes. I think your words were " a thousand big ones". Where is your entry, mate? You would be a cert. for a prize now that your rating is beautifully poised at 1998.

starter

Garvinator
02-06-2004, 10:19 AM
Tell us where the 128 comes from, please.

starter

ok the 128 comes from the maximum number allowable to achieve a definite result in a swiss that is 7 rounds. I remember this point being debated in the ballarat thread.

I was actually saying for this thread and wondering why only 120 is that with numbers filling fast, the organisers can still have another 8 entries for the tournament and still have no problems getting a result if everything that could go wrong did go wrong ie. two players in a seven round swiss win their first six games, then they would meet in round seven i think, is this correct?

the problem that arises is if you were to have 129 or more players for a seven round swiss, then you risk having two players win all their games and having them tie for first and having not played and their was no opportunity for them to do so.

So just to make it clear, i was just wondering why the limit was set at 120 and not 128 :uhoh: I thought maybe it has to do with venue size or something?

ursogr8
02-06-2004, 10:42 AM
ok the 128 comes from the maximum number allowable to achieve a definite result in a swiss that is 7 rounds.

The venue constrains us to be below 128.

I was actually saying for this thread and wondering why only 120 is that with numbers filling fast, the organisers can still have another 8 entries for the tournament and still have no problems getting a result if everything that could go wrong did go wrong ie. two players in a seven round swiss win their first six games, then they would meet in round seven i think, is this correct?

Intuitively I agree, but I am not a SWISS pairing expert.

starter

Garvinator
02-06-2004, 10:56 AM
The venue constrains us to be below 128. fair enough then, i was just curious why 120 ;) now i know, venue size, cant jam in another four tables hey :uhoh:

ursogr8
02-06-2004, 11:13 AM
fair enough then, i was just curious why 120 ;) now i know, venue size, cant jam in another four tables hey :uhoh:
g' :uhoh: 'y

Maybe
.........> we don't expect two players to achieve 6/6 :uhoh: :uhoh:

.........>> the organising Committee will relent on the Div A and Div B approach and then there is no risk to being embarassed by 7/7. :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

starter

Garvinator
02-06-2004, 11:19 AM
Maybe

isnt it always a good idea to hope for the best but plan for the worst :doh:

Bill Gletsos
02-06-2004, 11:24 AM
isnt it always a good idea to hope for the best but plan for the worst :doh:
Mainly because that beats planning for the best and hoping for the worst. :hmm: :doh: :whistle:

eclectic
02-06-2004, 12:09 PM

Maybe

.........>> the organising Committee will relent on the Div A and Div B approach and then there is no risk to being embarassed by 7/7. :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

starter
is this relenting on "adopting" or on "not adopting" the Div A / Div B approach ?

eclectic

ursogr8
02-06-2004, 12:51 PM
is this relenting on "adopting" or on "not adopting" the Div A / Div B approach ?

eclectic
You must have missed the previous answer to this question eclectic.

I got out-voted 3-1 re the two divisions.
So, a standard SWISS it will be.

starter

eclectic
02-06-2004, 01:38 PM
You must have missed the previous answer to this question eclectic.

I got out-voted 3-1 re the two divisions.
So, a standard SWISS it will be.

starter
ah yes !!

thanks for reminding me of that

thought a change of plan might have been on the cards similar to the way the rating prize amounts underwent a change

eclectic

ursogr8
02-06-2004, 01:48 PM
ah yes !!

thanks for reminding me of that

thought a change of plan might have been on the cards similar to the way the rating prize amounts underwent a change

eclectic

eclectic

Prizes are quite a different matter.
The original fund was guaranteed.
If entries and sponsorship run ahead of plan I don't think anyone minds if the prize list is revised upwards. :rolleyes:

Facts to date are
> Entries now exceed last years final entry number already.
>> Break-even # has been reached and exceeded
>>> Sponsorship ahead of budget
>>>> Discussion now occuring amongst organisers re upwards revision of prize-fund.

starter

ursogr8
03-06-2004, 12:54 PM
An interesting trivia question. :hmm:

What does an early entrant to the 2004 VIC OPEN (details listed at the web-site at
http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/vicchess/Open%20news.htm)
have in common with a highly placed finisher in the 1975 Junior Chess Championship of Australia?

starter

eclectic
03-06-2004, 01:05 PM

What does an early entrant to the 2004 VIC OPEN (details listed at the web-site at
have in common with a highly placed finisher in the 1975 Junior Chess Championship of Australia?

starter
kai jensen ?

father son ?

in the right ball park ?

eclectic

Bill Gletsos
03-06-2004, 01:47 PM

starter
Given the rating system has an internal rating for him of over 2100 I would assume its the same person.
He is not listed on the NZ or FIDE rating lists.

ursogr8
03-06-2004, 02:06 PM
kai jensen ?

father son ?

in the right ball park ?

eclectic

I was just looking for the commonality of name. :clap: :clap: Connection was between a Bill post on the 'forensic thread', and the VIC OPEN list.

And now later Bill is guessing the same individual as an answer to your question.

starter

eclectic
03-06-2004, 02:10 PM
Given the rating system has an internal rating for him of over 2100 I would assume its the same person.
He is not listed on the NZ or FIDE rating lists.
Bill,

If you and I are referring to the same name wouldn't the rating system retrieve the old rating from the masterlist if it was the circa 1975 player returning?

Instead he shows up on the June list as 4g with 5 games left to get a listed rating.

Starter could always make enquiries at Hobson Bay the club he lists in his Vic Open entry as the one to which he belongs.

eclectic

ursogr8
03-06-2004, 03:10 PM
Bill,

If you and I are referring to the same name wouldn't the rating system retrieve the old rating from the masterlist if it was the circa 1975 player returning?

Instead he shows up on the June list as 4g with 5 games left to get a listed rating.

Starter could always make enquiries at Hobson Bay the club he lists in his Vic Open entry as the one to which he belongs.

eclectic
eclectic

I hesitate to make him too much of a 'cause celebre'.
Last time I did that Pecori got off-side with Baz.
So, I think I will wait till the OPEN and have a quiet conversation with him. (Unless of course you are him :uhoh: ).

starter

Bill Gletsos
03-06-2004, 03:18 PM
Bill,

eclectic
He was deleted from the master file back in 1999 when all the OS players who had not played in Australia for a number of years were deleted.
e.g. Judith Polgar was on the ACF master file with a rating of 2188.
Remeber this deletion was done back under the ELO system which had no chance of getting a returning player anywhere near their correct rating if they had been inactive for many years.

eclectic
03-06-2004, 03:20 PM
.... as requested .... topic quietly dies .... eclectic

ursogr8
07-06-2004, 09:16 AM
fair enough then, i was just curious why 120 ;) now i know, venue size, cant jam in another four tables hey :uhoh:

The 2004 VIC OPEN organiser has now exposed himself on the web-site at
http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/vicchess/Open%20news.htm.

See him standing tall, with his arms folded, as he ponders if the current field size of 74 will reach the limit of 120 before the first day of the tournament.
He puts 'starter' in his place on the link.

starter

arosar
07-06-2004, 09:38 AM
FMD....I'm the only gringo in there!!

Anyways, I need a bit of a lesson youse blokes. What's the standard drink size in pubs? Do I say, "can I have schooner of Old Speckle Hen, thanks"? I hear you got some other size....'pot' or something.

Sorry for askin' but I just don't wanna get them funny looks, ya know.

AR

ursogr8
07-06-2004, 09:55 AM
FMD....I'm the only gringo in there!!

Anyways, I need a bit of a lesson youse blokes. What's the standard drink size in pubs? Do I say, "can I have schooner of Old Speckle Hen, thanks"? I hear you got some other size....'pot' or something.

Sorry for askin' but I just don't wanna get them funny looks, ya know.

AR

AR

Glad you asked.
Mate, talking 'schooners' and 'hens teeth' could get you a few funny looks.

Look, the safest opening gambit in a PUB that you can find in Box Hill is to take out your wallet and say to every one in your shout, "Please, help yourself". That should keep you out of trouble until you find your feet. ;)

starter

ursogr8
09-06-2004, 01:30 PM

Bill
Thanks for your special effort to get the June ratings, in SP format, in our hands in preparation for the VIC OPEN next week-end. We appreciate the extra work on your part to meet our dead-line. :clap: :clap:

Over to our Box Hill web-master now.

regards
starter

Mischa
09-06-2004, 09:38 PM
glad to see the vic open is "actually"happening what about the Aus Open is it about to fall over?

bobby1972
10-06-2004, 11:28 AM
this tournament looks like its going to be one of the best vic opens in a very very long time,thats great,is it going to be included in the july fide rating list or is it to close to the deadline?

ursogr8
12-06-2004, 09:01 AM
this tournament looks like its going to be one of the best vic opens in a very very long time,thats great,is it going to be included in the july fide rating list or is it to close to the deadline?

Ascaro
Thanks for your entry into the OPEN. It will attract many an interest.
Yes, the VIC OPEN will be FIDE rated; but I am not sure on what list temporaly.

Only 20+ spots left in the field before the capacity limit (120)...as at 9am Saturday.

Pairings will be on display at 11am.
First round starts at NOON.

starter

ursogr8
13-06-2004, 02:11 PM
The Victorian OPEN for 2004.

The OPEN starts

The pairings were on display at 11 a.m. for the first round to start at noon.
98 entrants headed by top seed Stephen Solomon.

GM Darryl Johansen was a late withdrawal due to his hastily arranged trip overseas (see other thread), but he will be on hand to present the prizes.
Rujevic, Solomon, Smerdon and Froelich have entered, as have a host of Country players. A good crew from Melbourne, Chess Club, Dandenong, Hobson’s Bay, and Elwood represented their Clubs.

And Amiel from Sydney has entered! In round 1 Amiel is paired against Jerome Lugo (the brother of Junior title-holder Ruperto Lugo). In non-formal speed chess Jerome has the disconcerting ability to comment on your game as he plays against you ("you have a lazy knight"…."king safety is important"…. "what about centralizing the rooks"), all learned from sitting next to his well-coached brother through many lessons. How will Amiel react to all this. I catch a glance after 10 moves or so; Amiel has succeeded in ‘taking the air out of the ball’ as they say in basketball.

The two top boards are played on DGT boards so the moves are automatically relayed to the viewing room in another part of the tournament complex. You can watch these two live games too by dialling into the Box Hill Chess Club web-site (boxhillchess.org.au). Fully updated scores are also available via the web-site. All round 1 games have been entered. Access is also available from the VIC OPEN web-site (URL’s previously on this thread many times).

starter

ursogr8
13-06-2004, 07:57 PM
The Victorian OPEN for 2004.

Four rounds complete, the fifth is underway.

The pairings in the fourth round started to be competitive compared with the high differentials seen in the junk-round 1 and similar in rounds 2 and 3. I closely looked at the top 9 players cross-table and found not one pairing between these players in the first 3 rounds. 'That's how a SWISS works' you say; yes, I know, but a day-and half has gone by before the real tyros compete.

Some great contests were watched by a large crowd seated in the viewing gallery (remember, the two top boards are played on DGT boards so the moves are automatically relayed to the viewing room in another part of the tournament complex.
You can watch these two live games too by dialling into the Box Hill Chess Club web-site (boxhillchess.org.au). Fully updated scores are also available via the web-site. All round 1 games have been entered. Access is also available from the VIC OPEN web-site (URL's previously on this thread many times).

Solomon with black pieces on board 1 prevailed over Rujevic. Even an hour later Mirko was muttering "I could've, should've...".

On board 5 the pairing was Kai Jensen against Zhigen Wilson Lin. Keen readers of this bulletin board will remember where they last heard of Kai Jensen. (others of course will cheat by using the search function to find the answer). On the other hand Zhigen Wilson Lin is sure to feature in Australian Junior titles in the future.

Christopher Wallis took more (under-rated-junior) points for his draw against Mehmed Dizdarevic on board 6, and Scott Stewart upset Felix Wyss on board 13. Max Mollard from Bendigo was in line, on the white-side of a Center Countre, to upset Ruperto Lugo on board 15; the win was there when Ruperto squandered a tempo in the opening, and it reappeared in the late middle game (reappeared to Fritz that is, Max did not find the win).

Boards 19, 20, 21 and 22 all saw upsets when Peter Braham, with white, defeated Scott Sharman. And then James Morris as black beat Barbaros Kara. James Morris is one under-rated junior you just don't wish to be paired with at the moment; he is white hot and has plenty of ideas. Matthew Potter's win over Nur Yachou was worth the drive from the Country.

I can't go past board 41 without comment; Ion Kloprogge on 1417 drew with Jamie Kenmure rated 446; ouch.

So we have three players on 4/4; Solomon, Froehlich and Smerdon, and the first two aired paired thus in round 5.

starter

jeffrei
14-06-2004, 12:52 AM
Some notable performances

- Chris Wallis is on 4/5: W vs Sean Devoy (685), W vs Malcolm Belletty (1857), D vs Marcel Rothlisberger (1892), D vs Mehmedalija Dizdarevic (1970), W vs Dusan Stojic (1947).

- James Morris is on 3.5/5 having played a strong field.

- Our girls under-10 champion, Shuyu Wang, is doing well after finally getting through all the JUNK rounds, beating a 1214 and also a 1310 in the last two rounds.

ursogr8
14-06-2004, 09:08 AM
Solomon v Froehlich was a fairly quick draw, which was received with some disappointment by the crowd who had taken up all the seats in the viewing gallery. It was interesting to see that the experienced Peter Froehlich knew how to make the computer recognise a draw had been agreed.

The first real surprise was Peter Frost's great draw against Mirk Rujevic. And as Jeffrei has noted, Chris Wallis' win over Dusan Stojic. John Kable showed a fantastic return to form by beating Marcus Ogden; that is one for the over eighties, as you can see if you visit the page at the web-site
John will convene any disputes committee.

Jesse Maguire on 1560 caused a mess to Miralem Campara's rating of 1851, while Alex Malejew was to good for Roland Brockman. Rengan Vijayakumar contiues to fight well out of his weight division and he shared a point with Bob Bergmanis. Micahel and Daniel Potter caused two upsets; the combined rating differential for the family was 1095.

Round 6 pairings are on the website at
http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/vicchess/04VicOpenres.htm#Round 6

The majority of the 48 games per round have been entered and can be seen on the web-site.

Two live games (board 1 and 2 ) will begin transimission at 10am EST.

starter

jenni
14-06-2004, 12:26 PM
I do think this has set a new standard in information accessability.

I am in Canberra keeping Gareth company while he studies for his end of semester exams and suffereing severe withdrawal symptoms. I am getting a bit of info from Sydney, but this is fantastic.

Good to see Jesse Maguire doing so well. Jesse is an ACT kid, who has always had a lot of potential, but has never put much effort in. However he is now playing everywhere and getting fantastic results.

ursogr8
14-06-2004, 12:56 PM
I do think this has set a new standard in information accessability.

I am in Canberra keeping Gareth company while he studies for his end of semester exams and suffereing severe withdrawal symptoms. I am getting a bit of info from Sydney, but this is fantastic.

Good to see Jesse Maguire doing so well. Jesse is an ACT kid, who has always had a lot of potential, but has never put much effort in. However he is now playing everywhere and getting fantastic results.

hi jenni
Credit goes to Phillip O'Connor who has set-up the IT complex.
The two games you are watching live are also on dispay in a viewing area. At the moment we have 14 people seated/standing watching that pair of games, besides all the spectators over in the playing halls.

Amiel has been taking pictures of the set-up.

starter

ursogr8
14-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Some significant results listed below even though round 6 is still in progress.

Christopher Wallis has caused another big upset, this time against Leon Kempen.
Scott Stewart has ruffled the feathers of Richard Voon.
And Zhigen Wilson Lin got under the guard of (old guard) Felix Wyse.

starter

jeffrei
14-06-2004, 04:33 PM
Christopher Wallis has caused another big upset, this time against Leon Kempen.

I find it amusing that this year he didn't lose a single game (draw with IM Rujevic [2296] in the last round), whereas last year he didn't win a single game!

JGB
14-06-2004, 05:04 PM
I find it amusing that this year he hasn't lost a game yet (after round 6), whereas last year he didn't win a game in the whole tournament!

That is a very drastic improvement! :clap:

ursogr8
14-06-2004, 09:47 PM
That is a very drastic improvement! :clap:

Smerdon and Froehlich tied for first.

Nine rating divisions (all with the same prize pool of $120) were distributed.

Full details already on the web-site.

I will be interested to read Amiel's field report.

starter

KB...Marcel had a good tourney.

arosar
15-06-2004, 02:15 PM
I will be interested to read Amiel's field report.

This will have to wait til I get back to Sydney. With my pics - of course! Just been to Fitzroy to see the MCC. The damn joint was closed!!! LLuuurve Brunswick St, though.

Great tourn starter mate . . . but I hardly saw the sun for the entire time I was down here (I'm in a net cafe near Flinders Stn ATM). There's something sinister about the sky in Melb. It's as if some soggy tarp hangs over the whole state and about as permanent as that toohpick in Rujevic's mouth. It just doesn't go away.

See youse all!

AR

bobby1972
16-06-2004, 11:02 AM
the turny was very well run,and lots of very good prizes,nearly 100 ,4 IM and some very good juniors ,the way the vic open should be .

ursogr8
16-06-2004, 10:39 PM
the turny was very well run,and lots of very good prizes,nearly 100 ,4 IM and some very good juniors ,the way the vic open should be .

Thanks Ascaro,

And with the working capital we have now produced we hope to make the prizes at the Box Hill OPEN attractive to players between 1950 and 2000 rating.

starter

ursogr8
16-06-2004, 10:43 PM
Great tourn starter mate . . . but I hardly saw the sun for the entire time I was down here (I'm in a net cafe near Flinders Stn ATM). There's something sinister about the sky in Melb. It's as if some soggy tarp hangs over the whole state and about as permanent as that toohpick in Rujevic's mouth. It just doesn't go away.

See youse all!

AR

Amiel,

I expect more than just a weather report when you get back to Sydney.
Your gloom could be that 'pineal gland effect' that they get at the land of the midnight sun. There are enough medicos on the board to explain futher for you.

starter

ursogr8
17-06-2004, 01:51 PM
Odd spot #1

From round 1 of the 2004 Victorian OPEN
Voon, Richard 1962 [0] 0:1 Nikolayevsky, Artem 1467 [0]

From round 7 of the 2004 Victorian OPEN
Kenmure, Jamie 446 [2.5] 1:0 Nikolayevsky, Artem 1467 [2.5]

So Artem goes from causing the only round 1 upset, to suffering the biggest round 7 upset.

starter

Bill Gletsos
17-06-2004, 01:58 PM
Thanks Ascaro,

And with the working capital we have now produced we hope to make the prizes at the Box Hill OPEN attractive to players between 1950 and 2000 rating.

starter
What working capital.
You mean you didnt payout all entry fees + sponsorship - expenses as prize money.
Matt will be onto you. ;)

ursogr8
17-06-2004, 02:09 PM
What working capital.
You mean you didnt payout all entry fees + sponsorship - expenses as prize money.
Matt will be onto you. ;)

Bill

1 No.
On the C.O.M.M.O.M.A.N. thread I think they yielded to the argument that they could only payout 100% of entry fees in prizes because they got lucky with subsidised accommodation through State Government re-direction of pokies money back to community efforts. They recognised that without this luck they would have to pay some admin.costs out of entry fees, thus reducing below 100%. Matt should have agreed that he used the 100% advertising line simply because it was catchy, and lucky to achieve; not because he could always achieve this objective.

Incidentally, Victorians do not get this 'free scrum feed' from pokies money. So the 100% distribution is more difficult to achieve down here.

2 I went to some lengths to obscure (re-name) what you have revealed. Thanks for nothing. The working capital will allow us to run an equally attractive Box Hill OPEN later in the year.

starter

Bill Gletsos
17-06-2004, 02:21 PM
Bill

1 No.
On the C.O.M.M.O.M.A.N. thread I think they yielded to the argument that they could only payout 100% of entry fees in prizes because they got lucky with subsidised accommodation through State Government re-direction of pokies money back to community efforts. They recognised that without this luck they would have to pay some admin.costs out of entry fees, thus reducing below 100%. Matt should have agreed that he used the 100% advertising line simply because it was catchy, and lucky to achieve; not because he could always achieve this objective.

2 I went to some lengths to obscure (re-name) what you have revealed. Thanks for nothing. The working capital will allow us to run an equally attractive Box Hill OPEN later in the year.

starter
Surely you are not implying that your fellow BB posters would not have had the brains to work that out for themselves. :whistle:

Anyway you did better the the NSWCA and its NSW Open. We ran at a loss due to more pre-entries than is the normal case.
Anyway we will be running it again next year, most likely with increased prizes and prize money.

ursogr8
17-06-2004, 02:41 PM
Anyway you did better the the NSWCA and its NSW Open. We ran at a loss due to more pre-entries than is the normal case.
Anyway we will be running it again next year, most likely with increased prizes and prize money.

Bill

We had 66 out of 98 early bird entries.
We had 82 out of 98 before the first day of the event.
We had 96 out of 98 before the pairings were published an hour before start time.

Our break-even was just below 80 entrants; but of course revenue was a little affected by the high EB take-up.

starter

ursogr8
17-06-2004, 03:58 PM
Odd spot #2

Round 7
Two players on 5.5/6
Both have a rating of 2389.
Result of their round seven game 1/2-1/2

Does not get any more competitive than that.

starter

Garvinator
17-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Odd spot #2

Round 7
Two players on 5.5/6
Both have a rating of 2389.
Result of their round seven game 1/2-1/2

Does not get any more competitive than that.

starter
as long as they played the game to a complete conclusion, not a short draw :uhoh:

Rincewind
17-06-2004, 05:01 PM
as long as they played the game to a complete conclusion, not a short draw :uhoh:

Smerdon-Froehlich
14/6/2004 - Box Hill

1. e4 c5 2. b3 Nc6 3. Bb2 e5 4. f4 exf4 5. Nf3 d6 6. Bb5 Nge7 7. Nc3 Ng6 8. d4 a6 9. Bxc6+ bxc6 10. dxc5 Bg4 11. cxd6 Bxd6 12. Qd3 Ne5 1/2-1/2

A tense battle and competitive to the end. ;)

ursogr8
17-06-2004, 05:10 PM
Smerdon-Froehlich
14/6/2004 - Box Hill

A tense battle and competitive to the end. ;)

Baz
I guess you alluding to that QLD play-off?

But the difference was this time that we had two boards (1 and 2) in live transmission so the progression to test-pattern only after move 12 on board 1 was not such a disappointment.

starter

Kevin Bonham
17-06-2004, 07:28 PM
KB...Marcel had a good tourney.

Won his division, so I heard. I swap the odd email with Tom Lea, another Tas expatriate and the last-round victim of this Zhigen chap, who sounds like another rising junior force.

jay_vee
17-06-2004, 09:11 PM

I certainly didn't yield on any redistribution of pokies money. I actually quit discussion on that thread for two reasons:
1. I came across a completely uncalled-for ad-hom attack directed at Matthew Sweeney (which apparently has been deleted now) and decided that that wasn't the style of discussion I wanted to be involved in, and
2. I do yield on the fact that I may not know enough about local conditions and that the problems you encounter may be vastly different from mine here. (Note: In case you were unaware of that, I'm currently posting from outside OZ). E.G., it seems to be easier here to get, say, school or community halls for free, we don't have rating fees, all non-profit sports (that includes chess) events are automatically insured by the state sports association, a much bigger and denser chess population and generally much less emphasis on "if you don't need to pay for it it's no good".
Luck, yes, maybe, but it's got nothing to do with gambling.

Two more points: 1. I agree that a 100% pay-out is not always possible, nor always desirable (fund-raising...), nor the only way to go. Obviously, when I opt for that I have to work with some limitations. And 2. the 100% is a nice catchy advertising line, but I don't think this was ever the reason why the tournament was named after the common man.

And now, my apologies for the off-topic intermezzo, you may now return to discussing the Victorian Open :)

ursogr8
18-06-2004, 08:24 AM
I certainly didn't yield on any redistribution of pokies money.

Matt advised in a post that the rental concessions made by some premises were required by State Govt regs on pokies so that benefits flow to community events. Hence I drew the conclusion that the chess tournament was indirectly subsidised by pokies money.

I actually quit discussion on that thread for two reasons:
1. I came across a completely uncalled-for ad-hom attack directed at Matthew Sweeney (which apparently has been deleted now) and decided that that wasn't the style of discussion I wanted to be involved in,

Could not have been me….I don’t attack, and I don’t withdraw posts (they subtract from my post count :uhoh: )

2. I do yield on the fact that I may not know enough about local conditions and that the problems you encounter may be vastly different from mine here. (Note: In case you were unaware of that, I'm currently posting from outside OZ). E.G., it seems to be easier here to get, say, school or community halls for free, we don't have rating fees, all non-profit sports (that includes chess) events are automatically insured by the state sports association, a much bigger and denser chess population and generally much less emphasis on "if you don't need to pay for it it's no good".
Luck, yes,...

Two more points: 1. I agree that a 100% pay-out is not always possible, nor always desirable (fund-raising...), nor the only way to go. Obviously, when I opt for that I have to work with some limitations. And 2. the 100% is a nice catchy advertising line, ….

And now, my apologies for the off-topic intermezzo, you may now return to discussing the Victorian Open :)

Thanks for the comments.
starter

ursogr8
18-06-2004, 08:44 AM
Won his division, so I heard. I swap the odd email with Tom Lea, another Tas expatriate and the last-round victim of this Zhigen chap, who sounds like another rising junior force.

Tom Lea may have been a no-show in round 3.

Zhigen Wilson Lin towelled me up in last years INTERCLUB, and has continued to improve. He is not the most lethal of the under-rated juniors, Chris Wallis hold that baton at the moment. There are about 5 of them at the moment who are a challenge to seniors' ratings.

starter

arosar
18-06-2004, 11:18 AM
These days I like to put in a bit of a holiday trip in my chess competitions. As I'd never been to Mexico, I thought OK let's haul me butt off down there. I'm glad I went. It would have to be the best weekender I played in - outside, of course, of the Doeberl. I can't recall a more professionally conducted weekender: rounds commenced on time as advertised; games recorded and posted on the net; computerised demo boards; and a canteen!

The venue was bung right on the centre of town - Box Hill, a town some 15 kilometres from the CBD. It reminded of Bankstown actually, very multicultural (quite a few Orientals) and where the life seems to revolve around a big shopping centre. The difference is that Box Hill is a lot more charming and probably no drive by shootings as well as the occassional gang rapes. The joint certainly didn't seem like a hive for the local Al-Qaeda chapter.

I had a funny tournament I did - never had one like that before. On odd numbered rounds I had weaker opponents as White. And on the even numbered rounds, I played stronger opponents as Black. FMD I thought! Hard life. And do youse all remember when we were talking about hygiene? Well, in one round I played this bloke who ate his pie at the board. His fingers dripped with ketchup. And just before we shook hands he starts lickin' his fingertips. Disgusting! In another round - this fella sounded like he was about to spit a pair of lungs out at me. Germ spreader! And talk about personal presentation. Some blokes look like they've just escaped from a goddamn asylum. But let me tell youse, in the last round, this dude looked like one of 'em fellas in the Village People. I couldn't bloody believe it!

I played terribly I must admit. Put it down to distraction. For example, just before round 4, I was having me lunch at the motel when the Miss Universe rerun was on TV. Crisis! Watch the show or play chess? So I ring me mom in Sydney, of all people, and asked her to record the show. As you can guess - I lost! (By the way, don't you blokes just love that Newcastle sheila? Ain't she a good sort? She absolutely killed 'em in the bikini competition I reckon. She shook that butt like there's no tomorrow. If Australia never wins anything this year - at least we've got Miss Universe. I mean, we've bloody waited long enough - 30 years!)

Righto boys, 'nuff yappin'. I did snapped a few pictures for youse. Enjoy! Last time I did somethin' like this was coupla years ago for the GC Open - I think it was. Hopefully Kathick here won't have me head for loading such heavy files. I'll load the pics on separate posts (3 per post) to make download quicker.

AR

arosar
18-06-2004, 11:21 AM
Fig 1000022.

IM Froehlich. An alright bloke I suppose. At the closing ceremony he gave a nice speech. He said, before coming over to this country he was told that Aussie chess was weak. Well it's not true since it's taken him over a year and a half to win his first ever tournament. I understand he runs some coaching seminars at the BHCC too. Well done Mr Froehlich!

arosar
18-06-2004, 11:22 AM
Fig 1000021.

A member of the Mother's Club. These women sold coffee, donuts, home-made cakes, pies, candies, whatever. Even though the shopping centre was just across the road - this little business seemed to do very well.

arosar
18-06-2004, 11:26 AM
Fig 1020005

Some post-game analysis. Here, the young man gets a few lessons on the Sicilian Dragon. Later, I overheard him complain about the thunder and lightning. He was apparently winning against a 2000+ player but was distracted by the crack of thunder.

arosar
18-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Fig 1020012

PC-based demo boards. Flat screens no less! These were features that I had not seen in any weekender. One of the good things I observed at BHCC was the presence and contribution of IT professionals. Their achievement here was simply outstanding! For my money - they have set the benchmark. Demo boards were a good idea because it prevented the usual overcrowding around the top boards, especially in the latter rounds.

arosar
18-06-2004, 11:29 AM
Fig 1020016

Another view of the demo boards. As you can see, the crowds were eager and involved. People would often kibitz. It was almost like a bunch of people watching a tense game of footy. One of the most eagerly watched games, especially, was Rujevic-Solomon.

arosar
18-06-2004, 11:33 AM
Fig 1020021

The organisers' job is never done. Who is that bearded one? He was not a starter at the tournament - that's for sure.

arosar
18-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Dang! It looks like I've exceeded my quota of uploads. :(

I've about 5 more to upload.....can I temporarily create a second ID and do it that way?

AR

arosar
18-06-2004, 11:52 AM
Fig 1020010

Members of the BHCC doing their bit. Here they are seen entering the tournament games into the database. This is a practice that ought to be emulated in all tournaments. After all, the only true and essential record of an event are the games themselves.

That's one thing I also noticed down there - the 'club culture'. It's like they really care about the place.

arosar
18-06-2004, 11:53 AM
Fig 1020019

The post-mortem of Rujevic-Solomon. What an exciting finish by Solo! As always, his clock ticks ever closer to a fall but then, with a snap, he makes a sudden but powerful move. Some people watching the demo boards thought he was losing. I overheard a guy say that Solo 'swindled'. Maybe, but the finish, at least to my eyes, was quite elegant.

arosar
18-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Fig 1020023

The famous Mexican - Mr Wastell. I was quite impressed by him. He conducted himself correctly and properly. They really love the guy. Perhaps this is why the BHCC mob handed him a bottle of grog. Well, it must have been grog.

arosar
18-06-2004, 11:56 AM
Fig 1010001

The start of the closing ceremony. Left to right: Gerrit Hartland, starter and booboo!

arosar
18-06-2004, 11:57 AM
Fig 1010003

Joint winners IM Smerdon and IM Froehlich. They received their prizes from GM Johansen who was to fly off the following day to the World Championships.

arosar
18-06-2004, 11:58 AM
Fig 1020009

Players in action. Do we know anyone in this shot?

arosar
18-06-2004, 12:03 PM
Fig 1020018

The analysis room. The kids behaved well. There were hardly any incidences of flying pieces from frantic games of transfer. Actually, as I understand it, the organisers hired a leisure room in a separate building.

arosar
18-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Fig 1020013

The BHCC's honour roll.

arosar
18-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Fig 1010006

And finally, the MCC as I found it: closed - perhaps my only chessic disappointment on my short trip to Mexico. But what a location! It's in the very heart of one of the coolest places in Melbourne - Brunswick St. It kind of like Sydney's King St in Newtown, except that Brunswick St is more hip and more cool.

arosar
18-06-2004, 12:08 PM
Well that's that. Sorry for cheating by posting 1 post per image. I didn't know how to post multiple images in one post with a caption per image. Anyways, thanks also to Jeo for increasing upload quota.

If any member of BHCC want soft copies of these images, I can send originals in a CD - as they are quite big files. Just give me postal addy. Free of course!

Hhhmmm...where can I go next? Maybe Tassie. I wonder if they'll welcome me down there.

AR

JGB
18-06-2004, 03:45 PM
Arosar, thanks for giving us all a look into how you found it down south. Good pics, its a nice interlude from the normal happenings here at Chesskit ;)

Alan Shore
18-06-2004, 04:33 PM
Nice photos. So in #188 who are we supposed recognise?

Hehe it's starter in #181! Funny how it seems no one is ever how you imagine them to look like. Maybe it was his avatar that I pictured him more as :p

ursogr8
18-06-2004, 04:45 PM
Nice photos. So in #188 who are we supposed recognise?

Hehe it's starter in #181! Funny how it seems no one is ever how you imagine them to look like. Maybe it was his avatar that I pictured him more as :p

BD

I think in #188 AR was perhaps focussing on bobby1972.

And should have been no surpises on me BD.........I have been at
for 8 weeks.

starter

arosar
18-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Here is that Rujevic - Solomon game

[Event "Victorian Open"]
[Site "Box Hill"]
[Date "2004.06.13"]
[Round "4.1"]
[White "Rujevic, Mirko"]
[Black "Solomon, Stephen J"]
[Result "0-1"]
[ECO "B23"]
[WhiteElo "2296"]
[BlackElo "2466"]
[PlyCount "138"]
[EventDate "2004.06.12"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 Nc6 3. f4 g6 4. Nf3 Bg7 5. Bc4 e6 6. O-O Nge7 7. Qe1 a6 8. d3 O-O 9. a4 d5 10. Bb3 Nd4 11. Nxd4 cxd4 12. Nd1 dxe4 13. dxe4 b6 14. Nf2 a5 15. Nd3 Bb7 16. Bd2 Rc8 17. Rf3 Rc7 18. Rh3 h5 19. Qe2 Qd7 20. Re1 Rfc8 21. Bc1 b5 22. axb5 Qxb5 23. Bd2 a4 24. Ba2 Rxc2 25. Bb1 Bxe4 26. Bxc2 Rxc2 27. Qxe4 Rxd2 28. g4 Qd5 29. gxh5 Qxe4 30. Rxe4 gxh5 31. Nc5 Nf5 32. Rd3 Rxb2 33. Nxa4 Rc2 34. Re1 Ne3 35. Rb1 Kh7 36. Nb2 Kg6 37. Nd1 Nxd1 38. Rdxd1 Kf5 39. Rb7 Kg6 40. Rb5 Bf8 41. Rg5+ Kf6 42. Rxh5 Bd6 43. Kh1 Rc4 44. f5 exf5 45. Rh6+ Ke5 46. Re1+ Kd5 47. Rh5 Be5 48. Rxf5 f6 49. Rf3 Rc2 50. h3 Kc4 51. Rd1 Kd5 52. Re1 Kc4 53. Rd1 Re2 54. Kg1 Kd5 55. Kf1 Rh2 56. Re1 Rd2 57. Ra3 d3 58. h4 Bd4 59. Ra5+ Bc5 60. Re3 Rd1+ 61. Re1 Rd2 62. Re8 Rc2 63. Rd8+ Ke4 64. Ra4+ Ke3 65. Ra6 Rf2+ 66. Kg1 Rf4 67. Re6+ Kf3+ 68. Kf1 Kg3+ 69. Ke1 Bb4+ 0-1

You can download the rest courtesy of the BHCC from here (http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/vicchess/04VicOpenres.htm#Games)

AR

Bill Gletsos
18-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Its interesting to note that no President has been Champion the same year they were President.
Wonder what this says for playing skill being affected by being an adminstrator/volunteer.

arosar
18-06-2004, 06:57 PM
BD

I think in #188 AR was perhaps focussing on bobby1972.

Yes...

Just before the closing ceremony, signore Pecori came rushing into the analysis room to thank his round 2 opponent, Thai Ly. Pecori had lost to Thai. Apparently, because of that upset, our fellow BBer managed to avoid the tough adversaries and thus won equal first in Div I.

AR

ursogr8
19-06-2004, 05:31 PM
Its interesting to note that no President has been Champion the same year they were President.
Wonder what this says for playing skill being affected by being an adminstrator/volunteer.

Bill

It is an onerous list of duties. You might be onto something. :p
Duty 1 Chair the AGM
Duty 2 MC the prize-giving at the OPEN (and now the week-ender).
Duty 3 Chair Committee meetings.

booboo, have I left out anything? ;)

starter

ursogr8
19-06-2004, 05:59 PM
Yes...

Just before the closing ceremony, signore Pecori came rushing into the analysis room to thank his round 2 opponent, Thai Ly. Pecori had lost to Thai. Apparently, because of that upset, our fellow BBer managed to avoid the tough adversaries and thus won equal first in Div I.

AR
Amiel

Before this thread goes much further I must say that Box Hill appreciates your 'field report' and pics that you have posted here. Your efforts have rounded out the services offered by the tournament and have given observers in other States an insight to watch what you saw out of the norm.
Thanks for being such a generous participant and we are glad you enjoyed your chess holiday. I am sure the Tassies will treat you well if you visit there.

starter

Thunk
20-06-2004, 08:58 AM
Odd spot #1

From round 1 of the 2004 Victorian OPEN
Voon, Richard 1962 [0] 0:1 Nikolayevsky, Artem 1467 [0]

From round 7 of the 2004 Victorian OPEN
Kenmure, Jamie 446 [2.5] 1:0 Nikolayevsky, Artem 1467 [2.5]

So Artem goes from causing the only round 1 upset, to suffering the biggest round 7 upset.

starter

this is a turn up for thE books.
a playEr (rating 1467)who shows thE capability to bEat thE rEvErEd richard voon (rating 1962) should not bE losing in thE last round to a cEllar-dwEllEr (ratEd 446), unlEss timE EntErs into thE circumstancEs. likE, did artEm havE to go homE Early or somEthing?

thE scorEshEEt for this gamE shows artEm falling a bit bEhind on matErial, and thEn rEcovEring to bE in a bEttEr position bEforE hE l.o.t.
that would makE artEm thE first junior i can rEcall who got into timE-troublE in gamEs of this timE control.

:hmm: :uhoh: the HUNK :uhoh: :hmm:

ursogr8
20-06-2004, 02:37 PM
Odd spot #3.

The winner of rating group D, Christopher Wallis, finished on 5.5/7. This score was superior to the score required to win group A (5/7), group B (5/7), and group C (5/7). And it was also sufficient to share the prize of the introduced group 1 which was sited between the 4 IMs and group A after the tournament started.

I guess it proves Box hill have one under-rated junior at least.
Next problem is where he will be placed in Winter INTERCLUB teams when they are formed.

starter