PDA

View Full Version : pocket fritz 2 v. Chess Genius

trav
22-09-2005, 06:18 PM
Hi guys,

No this isn't a which one would win a game question.

I was just wondering if anyone has used both programs, and which one they would recommend. Strength of play isnt a huge issue for me at the moment since i'm so new to the game, unless there is a big discrepancy between the two programs.

Im preplanning for Christmas :D

Regards,

Trav.

auriga
28-09-2005, 12:22 PM
you need a pocket pc (pda or mobile phone) for pocket fritz 2
as it runs under windows mobile (formerly windows ce)
pocket pc's cost $350+ or so.
it's great software though!

chess genius is older playing program for windows (and before that ms-dos).
don't think there is latest version but was very good (strong) program.
a good choice if you are using older operating system (eg. windows 95/98, 3.1 or dos!)

trav
29-09-2005, 12:28 PM
Thanks for your reply Oscar...

i probably should have mentioned a few other things in the original post.

I already have a pda which is capable of supporting both Pocket Fritz and Chess Genius. Since posting I have managed to get a demo of ChessGenius 1.7 for the pocket pc and have found it to be quite a good program, but i was just wondering if anyone has used pocket fritz and could tell me a little about their experiences with it.

If they are roughly similar ill probably go for ChessGenius as it is quite a bit cheaper than Pocket Fritz.

Regards,

Trav.

auriga
29-09-2005, 03:33 PM
oh ok.

yep, i use pf2 on my mobile phone and it works great.
there's a few free chess programs but not as strong or don't support PGN, etc.

just found info on cg for ppc at chessgenius.com
the screen and list of features look similar to pf2 so would say not much between them.

would be interesting to know which is stronger on same hardware.

trav
12-10-2005, 09:45 PM
i've ended up buying chess genius 1.7 for pocket pc so i just thought id give a quick beginners review of the program for the benefit of others.

The features of the program are quite good, the one i particularly like which was a must is the ability to load and save to .pgn (in the event that i actually play a game worth recording :D ).

The program can also provide you with hints, which can also be pretty useful from time to time.

On the lower levels, (which are all i have played thus far), i've found that the computer tends to like accepting exchanges. Which at the present moment i find a little frustrating as im trying to learn how to effectively develop pieces to improve my openings.

All in all i'd say its a good program, and it seems to have a comparable feature list to pocket fritz, although i cant really comment on the playing strength. But for the price its great.

brett
01-12-2005, 09:39 PM
How strong Pocket fritz?

Javier Gil
04-12-2005, 09:32 AM
Pocket Fritz is really strong at blitz, I'd say around 2350-2400. (and of course you can save games in .pgn, etc, load new games, add notes and variations , setup new positions, etc.).
I've also tried pocket genius, but I'd say it's not near as strong as pocket fritz.
A free alternative is Ceboard:

http://www.zanchetta.net/CEBoard/

Not as good, but it's currently adding new features, like the pocket crafty engine, etc. and... well, it's free ;)