PDA

View Full Version : Canterbury Open 2005

Thunderspirit
20-09-2005, 06:35 PM
Starting on the 24/10/2005 every Monday night until 5/12/2005 will run the Canterbury Open 2005. Players do not need to be Canterbury CC members but will need to be Canterbury Leagues Club Members if they live within the 5km radius.

Venue is the Lakemba Service Club. Cnr of the Boulavarde and Twigg St, Lakemba. Entry fee/prizes will be annouced at a later stage. This year the top event an 8 player round robin will be FIDE Rated. There will also be a swiss event available for all players.

Unrated players will not achieve a full rating, but will gain a block of games if players perfrom at 1600 FIDE and score at least 1 pt.

Time limits: (It will be either be) g/90 + 30 sec move from move 1. Or 30/90 + g/30. This depends on the club and closing time, but using DGT's and first time limit seems most likely.

DOP: Lee Forace*/Fred Flatow

* I may not play/DOP as I may not be available for the entire event.

Interested FIDE rated players should PM me if thet are interested. U/R players can also contact me, though Canterbury members are given first preference.

Paul S
20-09-2005, 10:48 PM
My home computer has been unable to connect to the internet for the last couple of days, but it seems to be working now.

What Lee has said is basically correct. Some points to add/amplify what Lee has said.

A few weeks ago Lee expressed a desire to run a FIDE rated tournament at Canterbury as part of the Canterbury Open, which the Canterbury committee agreed to at its previous committee meeting earlier this month.

The finer details have yet to be worked out, but the general gist is that approval has been given for Lee to run the Canterbury Open with 8 players (the top 7 highest rated plus Lee) playing a round robin (7 rounds) and the remaining players playing a 7 round Swiss (ie Canterbury Open will be effectively played in two divisions this year). These will run over 7 consecutive Monday nights starting 24/10/05.

Due to Canterbury Leagues Club undergoing large scale renovations, the chess club has been temporarily moved to the Lakemba Services Memorial Club (corner of Quigg Street and The Boulevarde, Lakemba) where we will be until late 2006. Venue is not as glamorous as Canterbury Leagues, but the chess playing area is very good (quiet area with good lighting).

In previous years for the Canterbury Open we have had free entry for Canterbury chess club members (with non-members paying a $10 entry fee - which is same as chess club membership) with about $400 from chess club's funds for a modest amount of prize money. I expect it will be similar this year with probably $200 prize money for the FIDE rated section (probably $100 first, $50 2nd and $50 rating) and $200 prize money for the Swiss (lower rated tournament). Will also be small mementos (trophies) for thos eplayers who do well.

Hopefully Lee will not be going overseas too soon, as I know virtually nothing about FIDE rated tournaments (and I think everyone else at Canterbury except Lee is like me in this regard), although if I had to I will probably muddle through and get there in the end!

Players interested in playing in the top section (FIDE rated 8 player round robin) should contact either Lee (preferably) or myself. Of course, regardless of rating, anyone can play in the Canterbury Open, as there is the Swiss for the lower rated players.

Trent Parker
21-09-2005, 12:01 AM
This reminds me......

Thunderspirit
21-09-2005, 07:21 PM
This reminds me......

The reminds you of what??

antichrist
21-09-2005, 07:30 PM
They have renovated that Bulldogs club about ten times in the last ten year - show how much pokie money they get.

Rhubarb
21-09-2005, 07:40 PM
They have renovated that Bulldogs club about ten times in the last ten year - show how much pokie money they get.
And check out the size of that waterfall. Isn't it a disgrace how they waste so much money on useless renovations (not all of them are) and then start bleating like stuck pigs whenever the State Government tries to tax more of their pokies' winnings or starts questioning their $200K director salaries for doing little more than organising useless renovations to be done by their mates in the trades.

P.S. Of course, it's possible I'm just being obstructively cynical.

P.P.S. (Edit) Oops, I just found out that I may be somewhat obliquely involved in this tournament, so please take my comments to be about Leagues Clubs in general rather than the Bulldogs (that hugely impressive waterfall notwithstanding). :uhoh: Oh yeah, did I mention how many Leagues Clubs support chess clubs?

antichrist
21-09-2005, 07:53 PM
Don't pick on that waterfall, as a westie I have thawed out many a lassie on the dark side. Obviously before a meal of the best baba ganoush(?) and garlic sauce etc at late night Jasmin restaruant on main drag of Lakemba.

Then down to Wiley Park amongs the lakes and swans - how romantic

Paul S
19-10-2005, 06:23 PM
The 7 round Canterbury Open is played over 7 consecutive Monday nights starting next Monday (24/10/05) night at 7.30pm. All welcome to play.

Venue is the Lakemba Memorial Services Club (corner Quigg St and The Boulevarde Lakemba), which is the chess club's temporary home (while extensive renovations are undertaken to the palatial Canterbury Leagues Club).

Since my and Lee's posts of last month in this thread, the Canterbury Open will now be run as a 7 round Swiss (ie NOT split into two divisions).

Time limit is 40 moves in 90 minutes then 30 minutes to finish.

Entry is free to Canterbury chess club members and $10 for everyone else.

A modest amount of prize money will be provided from the chess club's funds, $400 in total (first prize is $100).

All games will be ACF rated.

Subject to 1) Lee Forace's availability (Lee is the only Canterbury player who knows anything about what is required for FIDE rated tournaments!) and 2) a sufficient amount of FIDE rated players, there is a possibility that the Canterbury Open may be FIDE rated.

Vlad
19-10-2005, 10:46 PM
Since my and Lee's posts of last month in this thread, the Canterbury Open will now be run as a 7 round Swiss (ie NOT split into two divisions).

What a pity.:( I thought about playing but probably not in non-FIDE rated event. Anyway, there is always the next year.:)

Paul S
20-10-2005, 09:41 PM
What a pity.:( I thought about playing but probably not in non-FIDE rated event. Anyway, there is always the next year.:)

You should have sent me or Lee a PM expressing your interest (refer to the first 2 posts in this thread). :doh: As a result of the lack of interest, it had seemed to me and Lee that Sydney chess players were not interested in FIDE rated events (neither of us had received any expressions of interest or queries from chess players regarding the possibility of playing in a FIDE rated event). :(

Anyway, at this stage it looks unlikely that it will be FIDE rated, as it seems that Lee will be going overseas shortly to work for a few months (Lee is the only one at Canterbury who knows anything about running a FIDE rated tournament).

Still, like you say, there is always next year. :lol:

The_Wise_Man
26-10-2005, 11:50 PM
top 5 seeds Flatow, Rose, Puzon, Castor and Musaeva...

bigger field than last year... with 20 players...

Wise

Rhubarb
27-11-2005, 09:46 PM
Hi Paul,

(Or TWM, if you know)

(Or Liberace, if you unban yourself :) )

Can you confirm that this tournament is now a 7-round FIDE-rated Swiss with approximately 20 players? Just need the details for registration.

Regards,
Greg

Goughfather
28-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Hi Greg,

My understanding is that the committee decided to make the Canterbury Open FIDE rated. Yes, it is a 7 round Swiss.

The_Wise_Man
28-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Canterbury Open is a 7 round Swiss tournament with 20 players and 5 FIDE rated players. The FIDE rated players are Flatow, Castor, Rose, Musaeva and Tomas.

Scores after round 6 are:

Flatow 5.5
Castor 5
Musaeva 4.5
Nikolaou 4
Puzon 4
Soto 4

tournament finished next Monday so chase Paul Sike after that...

I will remind him because its in my interest because I achieved a rated block.

Wise

Paul S
29-11-2005, 03:33 PM
Hi Paul,

(Or TWM, if you know)

(Or Liberace, if you unban yourself :) )

Can you confirm that this tournament is now a 7-round FIDE-rated Swiss with approximately 20 players? Just need the details for registration.

Regards,
Greg

Hi Greg

I can confirm that the Canterbury Open is a 7 round FIDE-rated Swiss. 20 players have participated in it. I will email you the results when the tournament finishes (there is one round to go - final round is on 5/12/05).

P.S. Check your inbox.

arosar
29-11-2005, 03:46 PM
Hey Paulie -

You think you could give me an exclusive? I planned to be there for the last round but I remembered that I'm flying off o/s this Sunday.

AR

Paul S
29-11-2005, 03:46 PM

I will remind him because its in my interest because I achieved a rated block.

Wise

Yes, I can understand your keeness, in light of your good win against Adrian Rose (rated 2100)! ;)

However, Greg informed me recently that (due to competition finishing in December) the FIDE results (ratings) for the Canterbury Open won't appear until April 2006.

Paul S
29-11-2005, 04:00 PM
Hey Paulie -

You think you could give me an exclusive? I planned to be there for the last round but I remembered that I'm flying off o/s this Sunday.

AR

I was planning to post the final results on Chess Chat, but I'll see what I can do for you.

The_Wise_Man
05-12-2005, 11:40 PM
Whilst paul will put the full results up at a later time...

here is the newsflash

= 1st Fred Flatow, David Castor 6/7
= 3rd Aina Musaeva, Chris Nikolaou 5/7

Wise

Paul S
16-12-2005, 10:28 PM
I apologise for not posting the results earlier (or providing updates during the tournament). However, I have been tiring of chess (which is probably reflected in my poor performance in this tournament) and in particular tiring of chess administration in recent times and am seriously considering whether or not I should remain involved with chess in any form for 2006 (I recently had to deal with an obviosly mentally ill chess player who threatened to kill himself after losing a game of chess - I mean why bother to do voluntary work when you have to deal with this sort of rubbish!) and as such I have rarely looked at Chess Chat in recent times (let alone having the desire to make posts).

Anyway, final standings (20 players, 7 rounds) of the 2005 Canterbury Open are:
6 - Flatow, Castor
5 - Nikolaou, Musaeva
4 - Rose, Puzon, Soto, Tomas, Gluvchinsky
3.5 - Mitrovic, Allison
3 - Chiara, Andersen, Press
2.5 - Rizzardini
2 - Ullah, Parissis, Forace
1.5 - Sike
1 - Taric

Rhubarb
17-12-2005, 02:39 AM
I mean why bother to do voluntary work when you have to deal with this sort of rubbish!Because you're much bigger than that - because your voluntary work entails dealing with that kind of thing from time to time. Hey, I'm just guessing, I'd hate to see you give up now.

Plus, please send me the Swiss Perfect files if you have them.