PDA

View Full Version : Fairfield Summer Cup cancelled?

bunta
19-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Hi, there is a rumour that the fairfield summer cup is going to be cancelled, is this true? is it definately confirmed?

Dozy
19-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Hi, there is a rumour that the fairfield summer cup is going to be cancelled, is this true? is it definately confirmed?
Sorry to say it's true. The RSL decided they couldn't spare the floor space to hold it so close to Christmas when there's so much seasonal demand on their facilities.
Bergil will probably comment next time he comes on line (we haven't seen him for a few days). I'll mention it when I see him tonight.

Lucena
19-09-2005, 04:37 PM
They are probably just punishing us for stealing their precious water at the last tournament. This is all your fault Trent :D

Dozy
19-09-2005, 04:48 PM
They are probably just punishing us for stealing their precious water at the last tournament. This is all your fault Trent :D
I'm all for blaming TCN -- after all, anybody who whups me in about 20 moves with a Blackmar-Diemer Gambit gets no sympathy from me -- but it had already been decided before that particular incident.
I expect any other developments will be clarified in a couple of weeks but nobody knows what's happening before then.

Rincewind
19-09-2005, 04:51 PM

I thought this was now a non-issue. The ringleaders were rooted out and suitibly chastised.

arosar
19-09-2005, 08:20 PM
I visited the club last Saturday. The club no longer exists.

AR

PHAT
19-09-2005, 10:06 PM
I thought this was now a non-issue. The ringleaders were rooted out and suitibly chastised.

Good. We can now expect a chapter from "The Parker Diaries."

Trent Parker
20-09-2005, 01:03 PM
I visited the club last Saturday. The club no longer exists.

AR

The chess club currently may not be running due to events that happened after Bergil and i were banned from the rsl club. The remaining Fairfield club councillors are now busy. There were a group of filipinos going to take over the council roles. I dont know what the status is atm......

Garvinator
20-09-2005, 01:06 PM
The chess club currently may not be running due to events that happened after Bergil and i were banned from the rsl club. The remaining Fairfield club councillors are now busy. There were a group of filipinos going to take over the council roles. I dont know what the status is atm......
bergil as well, what happened there?

arosar
20-09-2005, 01:10 PM

I don't like how you use this phrase 'take over'. It sounds menacing and predatory.

But now that you have put this on the public record, why in the world were you and Bergil banned?

AR

Dozy
20-09-2005, 01:32 PM
During the grade matches there was a misunderstanding between the RSL committee and some of the chess club members who, with the best of intentions, contravened an RSL regulation.
The result was that a couple of the committee members were banned from the RSL (this is not the first time the RSL committee have used this kind of measure to discipline RSL club members) which made it necessary for the players remaining to form a new committee.
This is what TCN was referring to.
There was certainly no takeover but the people who were approached, and consequently volunteered to form an interim committee were Pinoys ... and they're people who are well respected in the chess community.
A meeting was then called to ratify the new committee but it was never held because, once again, the RSL club stepped in and said, "No, it's not up to you. We will decide what's to happen with the chess club."
Consequently the chess club is in Limbo. Amiel's comment that the club "no longer exists" is a bit premature.
We wont know what's happening till the end of the month when the RSL are expected to announce their decision.
When that happens I'll put a notice on the Fairfield Web Page and, no doubt, Bergil will clarify the situation here. (He's not lying doggo -- his computer has a virus.)
In the meantime speculation isn't achieving anything. The decisions haven't been made and until they are any comments will only be conjecture.

Trent Parker
20-09-2005, 04:28 PM
I don't like how you use this phrase 'take over'. It sounds menacing and predatory.

But now that you have put this on the public record, why in the world were you and Bergil banned?

AR

Sorry Arosar i meant no offence. Maybe i should have used "assumed"?

During the grade matches there was a misunderstanding between the RSL committee and some of the chess club members who, with the best of intentions, contravened an RSL regulation.
The result was that a couple of the committee members were banned from the RSL (this is not the first time the RSL committee have used this kind of measure to discipline RSL club members) which made it necessary for the players remaining to form a new committee.
This is what TCN was referring to. I think you have two incidences mixed in together perhaps?

There was certainly no takeover but the people who were approached, and consequently volunteered to form an interim committee were Pinoys ... and they're people who are well respected in the chess community.
A meeting was then called to ratify the new committee but it was never held because, once again, the RSL club stepped in and said, "No, it's not up to you. We will decide what's to happen with the chess club."
Consequently the chess club is in Limbo. Amiel's comment that the club "no longer exists" is a bit premature.
We wont know what's happening till the end of the month when the RSL are expected to announce their decision.
When that happens I'll put a notice on the Fairfield Web Page and, no doubt, Bergil will clarify the situation here. (He's not lying doggo -- his computer has a virus.)
In the meantime speculation isn't achieving anything. The decisions haven't been made and until they are any comments will only be conjecture.

OK so obviously you know more than i

PHAT
27-11-2005, 11:10 PM
Back to chess.

Is this event ON or OFF?

four four two
28-11-2005, 11:42 AM
The moral of this story seems to be dont rely on the RSL to have a chess club. Are there no other "community" type venues in the area where a chess club can be established at a reasonable rental rate? Or are the other local options fairly exorbitant? :hmm: