PDA

View Full Version : Mark Latham (sf. Mail Order Brides)

antichrist
16-09-2005, 01:15 PM
Does anyone else get the feeling that Matt and Mark Latham are tarred with the same brush?

Imagine if you were a mail-order bride and you got the jackpot with either one - what about me, it isn't fair?

PHAT
16-09-2005, 03:27 PM
Mark Latham is a good man. Honest and fair dinkum, he was not made for politics. He realy is a good guy who has had enough of sewer rats, media whores and backstabbers.

four four two
16-09-2005, 04:10 PM
Latham was good at beating up taxi drivers.....he sure had the common "touch". :P

arosar
16-09-2005, 04:26 PM
THis man is a rat. It's about time Lebo politics is brought to this country. A coupla dynamite sticks under his car should do it.

AR

EDIT: Shit, I just realised that this may be in contravention of that new rule about not threatening harm, blah, blah...

antichrist
16-09-2005, 06:20 PM
If any leader deserved a Lebo farewell it was Pig Iron Bob for betraying Aussie defence and lives in selling iron to the Japs for weapons after being warned of their intentions. John Howard's bride looks like the one you would win in a "lucky" dip.

PHAT
16-09-2005, 08:32 PM
If any leader deserved a Lebo farewell it was Pig Iron Bob for betraying Aussie defence and lives in selling iron to the Japs for weapons after being warned of their intentions. John Howard's bride looks like the one you would win in a "lucky" dip.
Agreed

PHAT
16-09-2005, 08:34 PM
THis man is a rat. It's about time Lebo politics is brought to this country. A coupla dynamite sticks under his car should do it.

THAT is exacty what we don't need in this country. Words not bullets. OK!!

firegoat7
17-09-2005, 01:22 PM
Mark Latham is a good man. Honest and fair dinkum, he was not made for politics. He realy is a good guy who has had enough of sewer rats, media whores and backstabbers.

He was/is a clownboot. The guy was quoted in the Australian media as saying "the goal of the working class ought to be to get out of being working class ", like being working class is actually a problem. It seems Mr L was a little bit embarrassed by his "working class" origins. Like most politicians he seemed to be all ego and in denial of his heritage.

That said, he was not to be bad at the start, but quickly the party machine turned him into another nothing. The ALP is an absolute joke.

cheers Fg7

antichrist
17-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Peter Garrett got compromised as well instead of coming out fighting.

four four two
17-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Well he was under the delusion that Labour could win,the Australian people at this point in time are politically brain dead,when harsh reality kicks in twenty years from now and we HAVE to pay back our MASSIVE debt most of the people in this country will not be able to cope with the credit crunch. :hand:

four four two
17-09-2005, 11:58 PM
You have obviously not read my post, if I was running this country Johnny would be going to JAIL for his crimes,as would half of the other mob,they would not be collecting $200 dollars and there would be no get out of jail free card. :P ;)

Alan Shore
18-09-2005, 12:03 AM
You have obviously not read my post, if I was running this country Johnny would be going to JAIL for his crimes,as would half of the other mob,they would not be collecting $200 dollars and there would be no get out of jail free card. :P ;)

You're right, I apologise for that judgement error - with you all the way. ;)

four four two
18-09-2005, 01:10 AM
Youre a space invader champ,so therefore i forgive you. ;)

antichrist
18-09-2005, 08:38 AM
Well he was under the delusion that Labour could win,the Australian people at this point in time are politically brain dead,when harsh reality kicks in twenty years from now and we HAVE to pay back our MASSIVE debt most of the people in this country will not be able to cope with the credit crunch. :hand:

I have brought this issue up before and I expect the crunch to be well before twenty years.

But just as bad is the two crimes he has committed against young people.

Firstly, his policies kicked up real estate prices that really sideline youth unless they are high-incoming earning. This effect relationships, the age women can have children, the quality of life, etc etc.. It creates two classes of society - those with and those without a house.

Secondly, was his legislating of allowing individual work contracts and casual work. Now casual workers cannot obtain home loans etc., again creating two classes of society - those with home ownership and those without. Individual contracts over time erode wage-earners ability to keep up with inflation and to improve their position.

PHAT
18-09-2005, 09:05 AM
Latham was good at beating up taxi drivers.....he sure had the common "touch". :P

Crooked taxi drivers.:rolleyes:

four four two
18-09-2005, 12:37 PM
There are quite a few tournament players who are taxi drivers Matt,you might have just opened a pandoras box. :P ;)

pull_my_finger
19-09-2005, 05:26 PM
Matt and Mark are almost twins! They both cry foul anytime something goes wrong and continue to bleet long after anyone cares. Both have lots of ideas but most of them crap and they both enjoy snipping from the gutter. :lol:

antichrist
19-09-2005, 05:59 PM
Matt and Mark are almost twins! They both cry foul anytime something goes wrong and continue to bleet long after anyone cares. Both have lots of ideas but most of them crap and they both enjoy snipping from the gutter. :lol:

Classic Stirs thread for you mate

PHAT
19-09-2005, 09:59 PM

Better to be a has-been than a never-was, or in your case, a never-be. :cool:

McTaggart
20-09-2005, 10:27 AM
Yes, Matt you are right,Latham is /was a good bloke,possibly should never have been in politics.a lot of what he says is true,some of it is just a soured perception of events,we all get them from time to time but later we are able to reflect and get right side up, so to speak. But he is correct when he says that the aim of the working class is to get out of it,I mean,who the hell wants to stay working class all of their life if they have the ability to advance themselves? to be or stay working class means that you are willing to exploited/crapped on from a great height for the rest of your life.This is the fate of the worker,it always has been and always will be.People who idealized the worker have never expierenced anything else and when they do they never want to go back.
Latham says it like he saw it and even though he is emotionally unstable it is probably near the truth.The only comfort that Labour can take away from all this is the fact that it must be worse in the ranks of the Libs.

PHAT
20-09-2005, 04:52 PM
But he is correct when he says that the aim of the working class is to get out of it,I mean,who the hell wants to stay working class all of their life if they have the ability to advance themselves? to be or stay working class means that you are willing to exploited/crapped on from a great height for the rest of your life.This is the fate of the worker,it always has been and always will be. People who idealized the worker have never expierenced anything else and when they do they never want to go back.

WOW! I am impressed with your crystal clear understanding of how it is for the non-middle class. I would like to add however, that those of lesser abilities can only ever be "workers". They should not be made to feel worthless, and have at the very least, the dignity of empoyment. What I dispise, is the way the well-to-do set think that manual labour is for animals and then treat the workers accordingly.

(For those on this BB: I do champion the cause of the "common man." But it is a mistake to think that he is a working class unsurfisticate. The common man is the ordinary man who does his best for him and his, with the cards he has been delt, without harm to his neighbours.

arosar
20-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Working class people are lower class when it comes to spelling, aren't they?

Now listen up here youse blokes. I reckon you're both being a bit too kind on that bastard. I mean, working class or not, you just don't rat out on your mates like that. It's not the done thing. Get this... right: them poor fellas that this bastard has been aiming at were ready to make him prime minister. But what does this MOFO do? He goes and spears them in the back? I reckon we should send in a coupla SAS troopers in there and fix him up. That'll learn him.

AR

four four two
20-09-2005, 05:28 PM
Arosar,mate, your pseudo ocker talk is a bit of a laugh, Jeff Fenech could pull it off because he was a man of the people,you on the other hand... :hmm: . Just type as you normally talk, we wont think your any less australian. :rolleyes: :owned:

arosar
20-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Arosar,mate, your pseudo ocker talk is a bit of a laugh, Jeff Fenech could pull it off because he was a man of the people,you on the other hand... :hmm: . Just type as you normally talk, we wont think your any less australian. :rolleyes: :owned:

Mate, listen to me and I swear I sound like I just got off the last bus from Marble Bar.

As for man of the people? Mate, put me in the middle of Baghdad and I'd talk my way out of there. Trust me.

God, I hate newbies.

AR

Rhubarb
20-09-2005, 06:02 PM
Mate, listen to me and I swear I sound like I just got off the last bus from Marble Bar.

As for man of the people? Mate, put me in the middle of Baghdad and I'd talk my way out of there. Trust me.

God, I hate newbies.

AR
Although he's a newbie, 442 seems intent on setting a record for being offered a cup of coffee (then again, he did say he was a long-time reader, so he probably had a lot of posts in-store).

PHAT
20-09-2005, 06:48 PM
I reckon you're both being a bit too kind on that bastard. I mean, working class or not, you just don't rat out on your mates like that. It's not the done thing.

I have read about 6 different letters to the editor pages in recent days and they have all shown a large majority of writers are with Latham. This contrasts with the journos on the oppinon pages who are sticking it into Latham. Latham was killed by the bastards who are now washing the blood off their hands.

I am hoping Latham starts a new party in the same way Don Chip did in the late 70s. I will join it.

Rincewind
20-09-2005, 06:51 PM
I am hoping Latham starts a new party in the same way Don Chip did in the late 70s. I will join it.

ALP splinter parties are a dime a dozen. None of them worth a squirt.

four four two
20-09-2005, 11:48 PM
Keg,make that a white with 2 sugars. ;)

Arosar,unless you have had a Bazza Mackenzie implant since I last encountered you ,you dont sound like you have been anywhere near marble bar. ;) :lol:

firegoat7
21-09-2005, 09:25 PM
But he is correct when he says that the aim of the working class is to get out of it,I mean,who the hell wants to stay working class all of their life if they have the ability to advance themselves? to be or stay working class means that you are willing to exploited/crapped on from a great height for the rest of your life.This is the fate of the worker,it always has been and always will be.People who idealized the worker have never expierenced anything else and when they do they never want to go back.

Now JL, This is an interesting post.

I know your a wise and wordly person, but I ask you to consider a couple of points.

See people do actually have to work for a living. So subscribing to the idea that "working class' people ought to leave the "working class" misses the boat IMO. I regard these comments as nothing short of being those of a class trailor. Work is necessary in some form. Our society would be much better off if those who worked got payed their correct dues. While those that didn't work, our lovely little exploiters the Boo-gwah-zee (its a long joke), actually had to get off the butts and toil with a little labour themselves.

The way I see it, there is nothing wrong with being "working class'"at least your honest, you produce, you provide real value for society. Maybe Mark would have been better off saying..... " the problem with the upper/middle parasites is that they prey on other people, there goal should be to actually work for a living, instaed of exploiting others through heredity capital or the accumulation of products."

Personally I understand little, why there should be any goal to join another group based on some authoritive status. I find his statements downright offensive.

cheers Fg7

pull_my_finger
22-09-2005, 10:52 AM
I have read about 6 different letters to the editor pages in recent days and they have all shown a large majority of writers are with Latham. This contrasts with the journos on the oppinon pages who are sticking it into Latham. Latham was killed by the bastards who are now washing the blood off their hands.
That shows us there are six rat lovers

Let me guess its called the Peoples Front of Judiah, no wait the Popular Front of Judiah, Oh I remember Its the Judean People Front, the part of Brian will be played by Mark Latham, while Matt plays Judith! :P

four four two
22-09-2005, 11:01 AM
Hes not the Messiah,hes just a very naughty boy! ;) :lol: :clap:

pull_my_finger
22-09-2005, 11:11 AM
Hes not the Messiah,hes just a very naughty boy! ;) :lol: :clap:
Glad you stopped the quote before the end ;)

four four two
22-09-2005, 11:19 AM
What have the Romans[Labor] ever done for us? ;) Well there was the aquaduct,the roads... ;)

pull_my_finger
22-09-2005, 12:32 PM
What have the Romans[Labor] ever done for us? ;) Well there was the aquaduct,the roads... ;)
Don't forget the wine, health and public sanitation and the streets are safe to walk at night. OK but apart from that! :lol:

four four two
22-09-2005, 12:40 PM
Title of Mark Lathams next "bestseller", The Meaning Of Life" also to be known as "Bettter Get Me A Bucket". :lol:

McTaggart
22-09-2005, 06:55 PM
Now JL, This is an interesting post.

I know your a wise and wordly person, but I ask you to consider a couple of points.

See people do actually have to work for a living. So subscribing to the idea that "working class' people ought to leave the "working class" misses the boat IMO. I regard these comments as nothing short of being those of a class trailor. Work is necessary in some form. Our society would be much better off if those who worked got payed their correct dues. While those that didn't work, our lovely little exploiters the Boo-gwah-zee (its a long joke), actually had to get off the butts and toil with a little labour themselves.

The way I see it, there is nothing wrong with being "working class'"at least your honest, you produce, you provide real value for society. Maybe Mark would have been better off saying..... " the problem with the upper/middle parasites is that they prey on other people, there goal should be to actually work for a living, instaed of exploiting others through heredity capital or the accumulation of products."

Personally I understand little, why there should be any goal to join another group based on some authoritive status. I find his statements downright offensive.

cheers Fg7
Strangely enough, I happen to agree with you DB and I am not implying that working class people are just factory fodder. There exists good and bad people in all stratas of society and I feel that I can mingle with all people from all walks of life with-out needing to be condesending or "tugging the forelock" as the case may be. But what I hoped what I was pointing out was the harsh realities of life as I understand it and have exoerienced it.The "working class", who ever they may be,are seen to be there to be ruthlessly exploited. I know,because I have been there,working in low-level jobs,working my way up the "ladder of opportunity", as Iron Mark so quiantly put it. when finally came the day when I was the "boss", did the screwing stop? not on your nelly!,it got worse. Not a month went by when someone somewhere did not try to exploit,(read,) screw, me in some way. I also understand what the Labour Party stood for,I voted for the buggers all my life, they were for a fair and decent society were everyone hopefully would get a fair shake,a decent standard of living and a chance for their kids to get a good education etc..so why has Labour lost its heartland? easy...Labour get elected when the Libs have finally rung the last cent out of the economy. A few years of Labour will fix it up bringing some sort of prosperity back to the country then the "battlers",who become no longer battlers, and don't want to be called "battlers" no, we are middle class now, with our two cars, two kids,two mortgages etc we vote for the Libs for they tell us that what we have gained they will help us hold on to. I remember how they cheered when Frazer/Kerr back-doored Whitlam. For God's sake, the most mild of Social Democrat of all!. Howard is in Government because of Labour. Labour started to try to look like the Libs, big mistake. If I sound a bit bitter I am not really,it is just I have learnt some hard lessons in life and always forget them to my cost. I learnt that friendship has a dollar value,where "friends" have ripped me off when money came into the equation,actually one of them is a valued member of the chess club,he only cost me $1500.00, so I got off lightly! here is a question for you DB,if the workers are so decent,hard working etc,striving for a better society,how did the Soviet Union fail? I think you can guess my answer. Cheers, McTaggart.

bergil
23-09-2005, 12:23 PM
Strangely enough, I happen to agree with you DB and I am not implying that working class people are just factory fodder. There exists good and bad people in all stratas of society and I feel that I can mingle with all people from all walks of life with-out needing to be condesending or "tugging the forelock" as the case may be. But what I hoped what I was pointing out was the harsh realities of life as I understand it and have exoerienced it.The "working class", who ever they may be,are seen to be there to be ruthlessly exploited. I know,because I have been there,working in low-level jobs,working my way up the "ladder of opportunity", as Iron Mark so quiantly put it. when finally came the day when I was the "boss", did the screwing stop? not on your nelly!,it got worse. Not a month went by when someone somewhere did not try to exploit,(read,) screw, me in some way. I also understand what the Labour Party stood for,I voted for the buggers all my life, they were for a fair and decent society were everyone hopefully would get a fair shake,a decent standard of living and a chance for their kids to get a good education etc..so why has Labour lost its heartland? easy...Labour get elected when the Libs have finally rung the last cent out of the economy. A few years of Labour will fix it up bringing some sort of prosperity back to the country then the "battlers",who become no longer battlers, and don't want to be called "battlers" no, we are middle class now, with our two cars, two kids,two mortgages etc we vote for the Libs for they tell us that what we have gained they will help us hold on to. I remember how they cheered when Frazer/Kerr back-doored Whitlam. For God's sake, the most mild of Social Democrat of all!. Howard is in Government because of Labour. Labour started to try to look like the Libs, big mistake. If I sound a bit bitter I am not really,it is just I have learnt some hard lessons in life and always forget them to my cost. I learnt that friendship has a dollar value,where "friends" have ripped me off when money came into the equation,actually one of them is a valued member of the chess club,he only cost me $1500.00, so I got off lightly! here is a question for you DB,if the workers are so decent,hard working etc,striving for a better society,how did the Soviet Union fail? I think you can guess my answer. Cheers, McTaggart.
It wasn't because of the workers, how did a peasant country put people into space?

arosar
23-09-2005, 03:22 PM
here's a blog you all might enjoy from time to time: http://youareacog.blogspot.com/

NOTE: Work warning. Mild nudity in content and in outbound links.

AR

McTaggart
23-09-2005, 05:44 PM
It wasn't because of the workers, how did a peasant country put people into space?
Easy, they had the right scientists and engineers to do the job.

Rincewind
23-09-2005, 06:09 PM
Easy, they had the right scientists and engineers to do the job.

What the Cold War was really all about: the Americans and Russians playing "Our Germans are better than your Germans".

antichrist
23-09-2005, 06:18 PM
What the Cold War was really all about: the Americans and Russians playing "Our Germans are better than your Germans".

RW, are you ready for a new A/C Racist thread:

Having lived with Germans I would say they still have a bit of Adolf in them.

bergil
23-09-2005, 11:17 PM
RW, are you ready for a new A/C Racist thread:

Having lived with Germans I would say they still have a bit of Adolf in them.
This may explain some of your posts :lol:

antichrist
23-09-2005, 11:58 PM
I have also lived with Japs and some have that crazy personality you see in their movies on SBS, about death, obsessions, phobias, would rather commit hari kari then get old etc. - they have not improved much either.

RW, another A/C is a Racist thread opportunity. I will give you many more if you accept the challenge. (attention whore remember)

Rincewind
24-09-2005, 12:05 AM
I have also lived with Japs and some have that crazy personality you see in their movies on SBS, about death, obsessions, phobias, would rather commit hari kari then get old etc. - they have not improved much either.

RW, another A/C is a Racist thread opportunity. I will give you many more if you accept the challenge. (attention whore remember)

Maybe we should just start a thread titled 'AC really hasn't got a clue' and dump every thing in there.

Dozy
24-09-2005, 05:35 AM

I worked with the Japanese for about 12 years (in Oz) and, if you allow them a national pride that far exceeds political correctness (yup, they're inclined toward racism) they're pretty pleasant people. Even so, I wouldn't want to stand between a Japanese businessman and a bucket of money.

There's always a lot of laughter in Japanese companies but sometimes their sense of humour tends toward the bizarre. Once when I dropped a clanger the boss stopped by my desk and said, "If you ever do this again I am going to bring a ceremonial sword in here and watch you ritually disembowel yourself."

A simple "You're fired!" would have done the trick.

One of the companies I worked for was Kanematsu and when I was retrenched I catalogued some of the disasters in "The Kanemat Zoo." It's on Tomorrowland. Here's a direct link: http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adslpu7j/ss/zoo.html

antichrist
24-09-2005, 11:43 AM
The Japs I know have a bit of the German in them, everything must be exactly on time etc etc.. They think the Aussie attitude is terrible.

four four two
24-09-2005, 11:46 AM
Does your doctor know you post here A/C? Better double the medication buddy. :lol:

bergil
24-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Does your doctor know you post here A/C? Better double the medication buddy. :lol:
Or cut the dose of the medication he's taking ;)

antichrist
24-09-2005, 06:24 PM
Well may you snigger, but the gal (around 30 years old) told me that when she reaches 40 years she is going to kill herself and she seemed dead (what other kind is there) serious. Exactly like those mado Jap movies on TV.

She went to visit a German (who she thought) friend and was rudely told off for hinting she may get lift with someone there. There is certainly a fall-out since the war (don't mention it).

That gal is the one who couldn't live in France ... and you all know that story already - don't mention that either.

Anyway to cut a long story short the Jap bitch dobbed the Yankee Jewish bitch into the ATO for hiding earnings because she was sacked by her for being loud mouthed. Then she p.ssed off back to Jap land after having it off with a druggie - don't mention that either.

bergil
24-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Well may you snigger, but the gal (around 30 years old) told me that when she reaches 40 years she is going to kill herself and she seemed dead (what other kind is there) serious. Exactly like those mado Jap movies on TV.

She went to visit a German (who she thought) friend and was rudely told off for hinting she may get lift with someone there. There is certainly a fall-out since the war (don't mention it).

That gal is the one who couldn't live in France ... and you all know that story already - don't mention that either.

Anyway to cut a long story short the Jap bitch dobbed the Yankee Jewish bitch into the ATO for hiding earnings because she was sacked by her for being loud mouthed. Then she p.ssed off back to Jap land after having it off with a druggie - don't mention that either.
To cut a long story short your looking for a bib sponsor cause ever time you open your mouth you do nothing but dribble! :P

auriga
25-09-2005, 08:06 AM
One of the companies I worked for was Kanematsu and when I was retrenched I catalogued some of the disasters in "The Kanemat Zoo." It's on Tomorrowland. Here's a direct link: http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adslpu7j/ss/zoo.html

just read that webpage. it was a good read!

four four two
25-09-2005, 10:45 AM
A/C you should write for the daily telegraph,your Murdoch hack style might be better served there. ;)

Dozy
25-09-2005, 10:50 AM
just read that webpage. it was a good read!
thanks oscar...

and since i've now worked out who u must be, whaddabout a copy of last week's game? it looked like a beauty n shoulda been enough to guarantee first place

antichrist
25-09-2005, 12:40 PM
A/C you should write for the daily telegraph,your Murdoch hack style might be better served there. ;)

Do you really think I have that much talent - thanks

antichrist
25-09-2005, 06:17 PM
To cut a long story short your looking for a bib sponsor cause ever time you open your mouth you do nothing but dribble! :P

From Shoutbox 25/9

Bill Gletsos3.07pm:
Well the ells must be favourites, but the cowboys winning is not inconceivable.

Bergil: To me it is!

Result Cowboys 29-0

Bergil, when you opened your mouth this time it was the worse case of dribble conceivable.

bergil
25-09-2005, 06:22 PM
From Shoutbox 25/9

Bill Gletsos3.07pm:
Well the ells must be favourites, but the cowboys winning is not inconceivable.

Bergil: To me it is!

Result Cowboys 29-0

Bergil, when you opened your mouth this time it was the worse case of dribble conceivable.
No it wasn't, to me is was inconceivable and to most people as Parramatta was $1.20 to win and Nth Qld $3.85

antichrist
25-09-2005, 06:38 PM
No it wasn't, to me is was inconceivable and to most people as Parramatta was $1.20 to win and Nth Qld $3.85

Shows how most people can be wrong and I think that most people are often wrong.

As majority opinion can mean nothing it is a warning for people jumping on bandwagons and quoting other people.

bergil
25-09-2005, 06:59 PM
Shows how most people can be wrong and I think that most people are often wrong.

As majority opinion can mean nothing it is a warning for people jumping on bandwagons and quoting other people.
No its a reminder not to back short priced favorites or to couple them with the Swans and Tigers :doh: :wall:

ursogr8
25-09-2005, 07:10 PM

Very good observation a/c.

It is often a sound bet to place your money on the opposite side from the very strongly supported Collingwood. Their huge supporter base drives down the Collingwood odds (and by force, drives up the opposition odds) often to the point where the TAB margin (a shade over 30%, inclusive of Govt taxes) is eroded completely.

starter

bergil
25-09-2005, 07:13 PM
Very good observation a/c.

It is often a sound bet to place your money on the opposite side from the very strongly supported Collingwood. Their huge supporter base drives down the Collingwood odds (and by force, drives up the opposition odds) often to the point where the TAB margin (a shade over 30%, inclusive of Govt taxes) is eroded completely.

starter
What? He said it show how he thinks most other people are wrong, meaning dribblerchrist is always right. Your saying you agree with him :wall:

antichrist
25-09-2005, 07:22 PM
[QUOTE=bergil]No it wasn't, to me is was inconceivable ..........

Shows how blinkered your vision can be - always remember this esp before having a go at other people because if you are the person who I think you are you are a big target.

bergil
25-09-2005, 07:30 PM
[QUOTE=bergil]No it wasn't, to me is was inconceivable ..........

Shows how blinkered your vision can be - always remember this esp before having a go at other people because if you are the person who I think you are you are a big target.
Massive!

ursogr8
25-09-2005, 08:38 PM
What? He said it show how he thinks most other people are wrong, meaning dribblerchrist is always right. Your saying you agree with him :wall:
And I pointed out that if you choose your sub-class of most other people you can make a dollar out of it.

firegoat7
29-09-2005, 07:16 PM
I learnt that friendship has a dollar value,where "friends" have ripped me off when money came into the equation,actually one of them is a valued member of the chess club,he only cost me $1500.00, so I got off lightly!

I heard about this one from a little bird and I must admit I was surprised. Yes you drew the short straw...the whole story saddens me, yes it is always dissapointing to see friendships ruined over such things. maybe Macavity and myself could tell you some stories about our mate WBA.

here is a question for you DB,if the workers are so decent,hard working etc,striving for a better society,how did the Soviet Union fail? I think you can guess my answer. Cheers, McTaggart.

I will give this a go. The problem with the Soviet experience is the same problem that has haunted people through out history. The usurpers are always seemingly able to manipulate the masses through fabricated notions of authority and in recent human history,this major form was nationalism.

I also reject the claim that the society failed, absolutely. My experience of talking to people who lived under the Soviet system is that a lot of people actually preferred it. Crime rates were lower. Employement was full. Housing, Education and food were guaranteed. These things did offer hope for working class people and did actually force the West to offer better conditions to its working class people.

While its true communism did come to an end, it is contestable that what the Soviet Union ever had was communism. More likely it was simply another form of the Authoritarian Nation/State complex that littered the history of the globe in the 20th century. That said, it is also difficult to judge whether there were any real winners out of the Soviet Union collapse....A collapse partially caused by ridiculous military spending, brought on by the Imperial West via the Cold war.

What is clear from the end of the 1980s was this. 1) Neo-Liberalism ran rampant in the western world following the demise of the Soviet Union system, creating record levels of global inequality.

Secondly,
If the Soviet Union had not existed as a Nation State, you and I would probably be doing the Goosestep in line with Hitlers dictatorship. Obviously , the Soviet Union prevented this from happening, with its uneasy war-time coalition with liberal democracy. For that, at least the Soviet Union deserves some recognition as not being a failure!

cheers Fg7

P.S Some say Stalin killed 2o million people, I say 10 or 12 at the most...the rest were following orders....bahhhhh...bahhhhhhh......bahhhhhh