PDA

View Full Version : "Good luck!" and other pregame chatter

Kevin Bonham
16-09-2005, 04:43 PM
Before you start a tournament game, what do you say to your opponent, if anything? Does it vary by opponent?

I usually just say "good luck" ... which is ironic given that I have an incredibly large proportion of "lucky" wins and relatively few "unlucky" losses.

arosar
16-09-2005, 04:44 PM
One day I noticed Norm Greenwood say, "best wishes". At first I copied him. Then I just decided on, "all the best" - and that's what I say without fail.

AR

Dozy
16-09-2005, 05:10 PM
One day I noticed Norm Greenwood say, "best wishes". At first I copied him. Then I just decided on, "all the best" - and that's what I say without fail.

AR
Friendly greetings before the game, fine - after the game, great - but during the game ??!
I was coordinating results from the Rooty Hill Open on Monday night so I could go home and update the web page, when I came across two (inexperienced) players doing an analysis. I asked who won and they said, "Oh, we're still playing."
Now that's friendly!

Rincewind
16-09-2005, 05:25 PM
I usually say "good luck" and offer to shake hands.

Someone needs to teach juniors how to shake hands. Seems to be a dying art. Understandable for primary school juniors but all teenagers and above should be able to do a half-decent handshake.

Garvinator
16-09-2005, 05:58 PM
I say 'enjoy the game' and then shake hands. I think that is the most appropriate thing to say.

antichrist
16-09-2005, 06:14 PM

Someone needs to teach juniors how to shake hands. Seems to be a dying art. Understandable for primary school juniors but all teenagers and above should be able to do a half-decent handshake.

I think it is very nice when a sweet little thing puts her hand out - just gentle is better.

Spiny Norman
16-09-2005, 06:48 PM
I say 'enjoy the game' and then shake hands. I think that is the most appropriate thing to say.
I like that, might start using it myself. "Lady Luck" is such a temperamental mistress.

pballard
16-09-2005, 07:24 PM
I try to make sure I introduce myself if I don't know my opponent, partly to be friendly and partly to be sure we spell each other's names correctly. When it's time to start, I shake hands and either say nothing, or say something like "have a good game".

I try to avoid saying "good luck", because that's exactly what I don't want them to have (during the game, that is). (But I'm sure I've said it on occasion).

Frank Walker
16-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Alot of people who say "Good Game" before the match has started and when you offer to shake hands the barely accept the offer and shake incredibly lightly that you can barely feel it. I have only played in one tournament and about 5 of the 11 people said "Good Game"

PHAT
16-09-2005, 08:56 PM
I yell "DIE!!! YOU SCUMSUCKING FREAK FROM HELL."
And if they don't flinch, I show them a photo of their children going home from school.

Trent Parker
16-09-2005, 09:07 PM

I think i say "good luck" and i always offer to shake hands. RW I agree with you! One of my pet hates is the pee weak handshakes that some older juniors and some adults make. I feel like grabbing their arm and saying "this is how you shake hands" ..... :evil: :doh:

Mischa
16-09-2005, 11:37 PM
pee weak?

PHAT
17-09-2005, 01:36 AM
One of my pet hates is the pee weak handshakes that some older juniors and some adults make. I feel like grabbing their arm and saying "this is how you shake hands" ..... :evil: :doh:

YES YES YES. What is wrong with these people?

To shake hands:

1. Firm without crush.
2. Eye contact without phycho.
3. Warmth without softness.

Why do people give you something like a wet flipper in the dark? It should be grounds for a warning.

PHAT
17-09-2005, 01:39 AM
pee weak?

= piss weak.

No, it isn't a 7 day bender

four four two
17-09-2005, 01:50 AM
Chessnut,do you come from the Latham school of handshaking? :lol:

PHAT
17-09-2005, 01:58 AM
Chessnut,do you come from the Latham school of handshaking? :lol:

Dude, Latham is the closest thing any major party has come to presenting the real deal in thirty years.

four four two
17-09-2005, 02:20 AM
The real deal?,are you serious?,medicare gold was pie in the sky,you show me any party in australia that actually spends the kind of cash that you would need to make that policy happen and i will gladly vote for them. :rolleyes:

PHAT
17-09-2005, 02:24 AM
The real deal?,are you serious?,medicare gold was pie in the sky,you show me any party in australia that actually spends the kind of cash that you would need to make that policy happen and i will gladly vote for them. :rolleyes:

Emigrate to Sweden - if they will have you.

four four two
17-09-2005, 02:30 AM
Hey Sweden has plenty of hot chicks and a bigger chess scene than OZ,so I might just do that! :P

Spiny Norman
17-09-2005, 10:25 AM
I think i say "good luck" and i always offer to shake hands. RW I agree with you! One of my pet hates is the pee weak handshakes that some older juniors and some adults make. I feel like grabbing their arm and saying "this is how you shake hands" ..... :evil: :doh:
With some of them its like picking up a dead fish at the local market and waving it about ...

Lucena
17-09-2005, 11:18 AM
I try to make sure I introduce myself if I don't know my opponent, partly to be friendly and partly to be sure we spell each other's names correctly.

One thing that annoys me is when I arrive at the board to find my opponent has written his name on MY scoresheet because he's afraid I'm not going to spell it properly or something. I find that terribly presumptuous.

four four two
17-09-2005, 03:06 PM
You must have some real chess PUNKS in NSW if that kind of behaviour is happenning. ;) :P

Rincewind
17-09-2005, 04:40 PM
You must have some real chess PUNKS in NSW if that kind of behaviour is happenning. ;) :P

It's anarchy in NSW.

four four two
17-09-2005, 05:04 PM
Viva la Revolution! ;) :owned:

Trent Parker
17-09-2005, 07:03 PM
One thing that annoys me is when I arrive at the board to find my opponent has written his name on MY scoresheet because he's afraid I'm not going to spell it properly or something. I find that terribly presumptuous.

I only do this when my opponent is late and i have started his/her clock. The other details can be filled out later..... just sometimes people forget who they played in a certain game....... well.... i do if i don't write the persons name down.....

Trent Parker
17-09-2005, 07:04 PM
Chessnut,do you come from the Latham school of handshaking? :lol: umm....no :uhoh:

Thunderspirit
17-09-2005, 08:02 PM
In the Interleagues recently against non St George players I was saying, "I'd wish you luck, but I wouldn't mean it, so I hope you get cracked!"

Alan Shore
17-09-2005, 08:22 PM
Alot of people who say "Good Game" before the match has started and when you offer to shake hands the barely accept the offer and shake incredibly lightly that you can barely feel it. I have only played in one tournament and about 5 of the 11 people said "Good Game"

I generally say 'good game'.

And I shake hands firmly - not quite 'the Mark Latham' but I do dislike those 'wet fish' handshakes too.

ElevatorEscapee
18-09-2005, 01:13 AM
I think that people should bear in mind that there may well be very good reasons behind the "wet fish"/non-firm handshake.

For instance, your opponent may be a surgeon, or a concert pianist, and not want to get into a "I can squeeze your hand harder than you can squeeze mine", stupid sort of game.

ElevatorEscapee
18-09-2005, 01:13 AM
I think that people should bear in mind that there may well be very good reasons behind the "wet fish"/non-firm handshake.

For instance, your opponent may be a surgeon, or a concert pianist, and not want to get into a "I can squeeze your hand harder than you can squeeze mine", stupid sort of game.

I am sure we all know a few pianists!

four four two
18-09-2005, 01:40 AM
Do you have some "Eine Kleine Nacht Music" Elevator ;) ,Im a Chopin fan myself... ;)

Thunderspirit
18-09-2005, 10:42 AM

I have to be honest I dislike wet fish handshakes. I can understand it with kids, I think its partially caused by a fear of being respectful to elders, but when it happens from an Adult male, it's very frustrating. A handshake is sign of not only good manners, but of friendship is reflected partially by enthusiam of the handshake. I find few reasons for why an adult male would just touch their opponents hand then to shake it with at least a little force.

While myself am probably on the more firm of handshakes in the chess community, and far harder than most I have seen few people give a firm handshake over the years.

I have a friend in ACT Chess (You Canberrans know who he is....) who is also as animated over this topic and though I disagreed with many of his ideas I can definately empathise with this one.

I suppose from a personal view point, if you're playing me and you like firm handshakes normally not feel have concerns of putting a little force behind it. It will only strengthen my respect for you.

antichrist
18-09-2005, 02:30 PM
On the Sunday program this morning they ran a laugh at Mark Latham how he gave the biggest handshakes to Beasley and Howard, all smiles and cuddles, but then in his book did a Matt Sweeney on them.

And you can't get more Aussie than Latham.

PHAT
18-09-2005, 02:37 PM
...but then in his book [Latham] did a Matt Sweeney on them.

I will take that as a compliment.

Dozy
19-09-2005, 04:42 PM
On the Sunday program this morning they ran a laugh at Mark Latham how he gave the biggest handshakes to Beasley and Howard, all smiles and cuddles, but then in his book did a Matt Sweeney on them.
Latham may have secured himself a place in Oz folklore alongside Blind Freddy and Buckley's Chance.
He could have carved himself a spot as memorable as Abu Hassan who, in the 1001 Nights, committed a social blunder and found himself a place on the calendar. People measured time from "the day Abu Hassan brake wind"!
This morning on 2WS Mike Gibson was talking about the Melbourne AFL mob screaming for Big Bad Barry Hall's head on a platter and he said, "They're bigger whingers than Mark Latham."

ursogr8
19-09-2005, 05:28 PM
This morning on 2WS Mike Gibson was talking about the Melbourne AFL mob screaming for Big Bad Barry Hall's head on a platter and he said, "They're bigger whingers than Mark Latham."

This beat-up from Mike Gibson has to be fantasy. We are so parochial that once the SAINTS were eliminated the season was officially deemed over. We now just hold the Grand Final next Saturday as a revenue raiser event for the State. Honestly, no-one in Melbourne is calling for Barry to be rubbed out. It is just a news item of great interest, and little importance.

yours, waiting for the cricket to start,
starter

Rincewind
19-09-2005, 05:58 PM
Honestly, no-one in Melbourne is calling for Barry to be rubbed out. It is just a news item of great interest, and little importance.

Glad to hear it.

machomortensen
26-11-2011, 07:11 AM
It was actually in Australia I learned to say "Good Game" just before the game starts...

Later I have spread it out in Denmark...

Garrett
26-11-2011, 07:36 AM
It was actually in Australia I learned to say "Good Game" just before the game starts...

Later I have spread it out in Denmark...

Yeah I like "good game" and shake hands too.

machomortensen
26-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Of course shake hands were included...

antichrist
26-11-2011, 12:37 PM
there used to be a guy who I met at Ryde Eastwood club that had all sort of vermin growing out of the pores of his skin - I refused to shake hands with him