PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Grand Prix

Dom
22-01-2004, 02:58 PM
Can somebody tell me where i can view the results of the 03 grand prix?

Paul S
24-01-2004, 02:34 PM
Hi Mr Dom

IMHO the answer to your question is that George Howard and/or Paul Broekhuyse have by now got in touch with Grand Prix Co-Ordinator David Cordover to get him to submit these results ASAP and that you will probably see them in the next (or week afetr next) ACF email bulletin.

From my perspective, the Grand Prix (GP) was well run by Norm Braybrooke until 13/2/03 which appears to be when he resigned. Since 13/2/03 (or probably just prior to - I'm too lazy to troll through old ACF email Bulletins for the exact date), nobody wanted to run the GP for a period of about 6 weeks until David Cordover took it on. Before people start critisizing David too much for the poor state of the GP since 13/2/03, I think we should ALL keep in mind that at least David had a go at doing something that NOBODY else was prepared to take on.

From what I can see the only 2 times since 13/2/03 that results on the GP have been updated happened to appear about 2 weeks after I made a BB post on this matter (from memory one in June and one in September - I'm too lazy to troll through old ACF BB posts for the exact dates of these 2 posts of mine).

I think it is disgraceful that as of today (24/1/04) the 2003 results have not yet been made public! Also, it appears to me that the ACF considers the GP to be a very low priority - I notice that there is now no longer even a link for the GP on the ACF website!!! It seems to me that in 2004 the chess community can expect the same sort of "service" wrt the GP as it had in 2003.

I think that the NSWCA should not support the Grand Prix any more and as a NSWCA member (and player in some of their tournaments), I object to NSWCA tournament prizemoney being reduced (and/or entry fees being increased) to pay for Grand Prix fees. For example, I object to the impost of Grand Prix fees for the NSWCA's Australia Day Weekender when tournament chess players are not provided with even the basic service of regular score (progress) updates on the GP. What value do chess players currently get from the GP?

For the NSWCA Australia Day Weekender I would have preferred to see discounted entry fees for pensioners/students/unemployed etc instead of this money being wasted on GP fees. That is, instead of $70 adult/$40 Junior (with GP fees) to have $70 adult/$55 pensioner/$40 Junior (with no money wasted on GP fees) with prizemoney ($3300) remaining the same. I reckon the NSWCA would have got a few more entries at the Australia Day Weekender if they had done this.

How can players have an interest in the GP when the progress scores are not updated regularly? To me it seems that the only beneficiary of the GP at present is David Cordover, who gets a free plug for his business each week in the ACF's weekly email Bulletin.

If the 2004 GP is going to be run as poorly as the 2003 GP then we should can the 2004 GP right now!

Kevin Bonham
24-01-2004, 06:30 PM
I think if we're going to have a naming rights or advertising type situation with the GP again then there should be specified targets in terms of points updates and processing of events.

jase
24-01-2004, 11:27 PM
I put a lot of work into resurrecting the Grand prix a few years ago.

I'm appalled by it's neglect over the last 12 months.

David Cordover entered into an agreement and has not upheld his end of the deal. If I were a State Association I'd be quite reluctant to commit tournies to the concept now that Chess World has buried it.

arosar
25-01-2004, 01:16 PM
David Cordover entered into an agreement and has not upheld his end of the deal. If I were a State Association I'd be quite reluctant to commit tournies to the concept now that Chess World has buried it.

Everything seems a bit flimsy with this bloke Cordover. Wasn't some major event at Mt Buller cancelled before?

Now tell me, what was Cordover supposed to have delivered to the ACF insofar as the GP system was concerned? Did the ACF sign a contract or anything? I demand to know these details because they affect my decision to play in Mt Buller. I only want to deal with trustworthy agreements and promises.

AR

Bill Gletsos
25-01-2004, 01:24 PM

Everything seems a bit flimsy with this bloke Cordover. Wasn't some major event at Mt Buller cancelled before?

Now tell me, what was Cordover supposed to have delivered to the ACF insofar as the GP system was concerned? Did the ACF sign a contract or anything? I demand to know these details because they affect my decision to play in Mt Buller. I only want to deal with trustworthy agreements and promises.

AR
Remember after Norm stopped doing the GP there was no GP co-ordinator for a while.
I think all Cordover offered was to collate the results.
No agreement was signed just like no agreement was signed with previous GP co-ordinators.

I think it is fair to say that Cordovers efforts with regards to the GP have been abysmal.

As for Mt Buller, the ACF awarded the tournament to Chess Victoria, not directly to Cordover.

Bob1
25-01-2004, 03:00 PM
I put a lot of work into resurrecting the Grand prix a few years ago.

I'm appalled by it's neglect over the last 12 months.

Jason
I totally agree - let's fix this.
I have sent representation to the ACF (both directly to George and via NSWCA)

jase
26-01-2004, 12:43 AM
Bob,

I think the chess community has now lost faith in the Grand Prix. Instead of building momentum and creating a greater sense of community, chess players have lost interest due to the lack of results. Organisers can't see how it builds their numbers, when the GP seems to exist in name and advertising only.

In the longer term, the Grand Prix is only viable with a sponsor. Otherwise it's just a reallocation of tournament funds. Graeme Gardiner and I had the idea to build it up to a 50 tournament nation-wide series, with lots of press releases from individual organisers as well as from the ACF, and aim to attract sponsorship. This I did when I took it from 7 tournaments to about 40 some 3 years ago.

If I were organising a tournament this year I wouldn't commit $100-$350 to the Grand Prix. In light of the Grand Prix management over the part year, I could not in good faith sell it to tournament organisers again.

Garvinator
26-01-2004, 01:20 AM
i think it is time we combined the two grand prix threads :D . I have transferred these few threads to the other grand prix thread in australian chess.

If posters dont agree with this, then they can still post here :D .