PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Olympiad round changes

Garvinator
04-09-2005, 12:37 PM
This has come up on www.fide.com.

Does the acf have any thoughts on this at all?

http://www.fide.com/news.asp?id=789

eclectic
04-09-2005, 12:54 PM
surely the organising committee should have factored in public holidays when submitting their original bid

often we will look in a decent diary and the holiday dates will be there 3 - 5 years ahead

unless a new saint has been canonised and their feast day recently gazetted?

such logistics shuffling bodes ill but at least they are asking 9 months out

maybe advancing the start or delaying the conclusion is too much of a nightmare especially if there is already a ground swell of hotel and flight bookings

eclectic

Denis_Jessop
04-09-2005, 03:33 PM
This has come up on www.fide.com.

Does the acf have any thoughts on this at all?

http://www.fide.com/news.asp?id=789

The ACF Council is considering the issue and the views of the previous Olympiad team members and captains have been sought.

DJ

Denis_Jessop
04-09-2005, 03:39 PM
surely the organising committee should have factored in public holidays when submitting their original bid

often we will look in a decent diary and the holiday dates will be there 3 - 5 years ahead

unless a new saint has been canonised and their feast day recently gazetted?

such logistics shuffling bodes ill but at least they are asking 9 months out

maybe advancing the start or delaying the conclusion is too much of a nightmare especially if there is already a ground swell of hotel and flight bookings

eclectic

Yes indeed; I hope this is not another Belfort.

DJ

shaun
04-09-2005, 04:07 PM
The PNG Chess Federation have already informed FIDE of their objections to a reduction of rounds.

pax
04-09-2005, 04:39 PM
Ridiculous. Surely the schedule was nailed down in concrete when they made the bid? I can't think of any reason why a public holiday should mean fewer rounds.

Ian Rout
08-09-2005, 03:50 PM
I think this should be opposed. The Olympiad only happens once every two years and killing off a whole round is inappropriate both from the competitive point of view and for individuals in norm-scoring positions. Would they be allowed to run the Olympic 100m over 90m? If they can't run it properly they shouldn't have put up their hands for it.

I also don't see why the holiday can't coincide with one of the rest days. If it's a slightly odd time meaning that the rest day is not optimally placed for having a rest that isn't critical given that teams have reserves; USA, for instance, barely used their last player in either section last time.

Kevin Bonham
08-09-2005, 04:04 PM
I'm also inclined to oppose this but waiting to see the feedback from our last Olympiad teams before making a firm decision.

pax
08-09-2005, 04:07 PM
Yes, in many ways this decision belongs to people who will likely be involved in the 2006 teams. I also think it should be opposed, but my opinion matters not a jot.

arosar
31-10-2005, 08:16 PM
13 rounds it is.

AR

Denis_Jessop
31-10-2005, 08:39 PM
13 rounds it is.

AR

Here is the relevant bit of the San Luis communique:

"Upon request from the Organizers, the Board decided to reduce the number of rounds in the Turin Olympiad from 14 to 13. Before taking this decision, FIDE asked all the federations and an overwhelming majority voted in favor."

The ACF voted against so we were in an overwhelmed minority.

DJ

Garvinator
31-10-2005, 08:50 PM

"Upon request from the Organizers, the Board decided to reduce the number of rounds in the Turin Olympiad from 14 to 13. Before taking this decision, FIDE asked all the federations and an overwhelming majority voted in favor."

DJ
i would like to know what the exact numbers for and against were and who voted for which.

shaun
31-10-2005, 09:31 PM

DJ

PNG also voted against

Ian Rout
12-01-2006, 02:38 PM
I was prompted by some discussion about the Olympiad on another thread to look up when it's on. If the reddish pawns are meant to denote playing days on the calendar at

http://www.chessolympiad-torino2006.org/olimpiadi_calendario.php?pag=2&pagina=1

then it now seems to be down to twelve rounds.

Can one of our Italian-literate readers clarify what's happening on this chart? Perhaps there is also a round on the day of the closing ceremony?

Garvinator
12-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Can one of our Italian-literate readers clarify what's happening on this chart? Perhaps there is also a round on the day of the closing ceremony?
instead of doing that, Ian, you could click on the union jack in the top right hand corner of the home page. That changes the text to english. If you click on the last red pawn, it comes up as saying Round 12. Strange, what is going on.

Ian Rout
12-01-2006, 02:59 PM
instead of doing that, Ian, you could click on the union jack in the top right hand corner of the home page. That changes the text to english. If you click on the last red pawn, it comes up as saying Round 12. Strange, what is going on.
You're right, I missed that - I must have scrolled down before the graphic loaded.

Now I see that clicking on the white Queen (closing ceremony) shows that it's also round 13, so it all makes sense now.