PDA

View Full Version : Box Hill Chess Club needs a new home

ursogr8
01-09-2005, 05:23 PM
This event appears to have been first held in 1971 and annually since then.

A list of winners can be viewed via this link to a cc.org post. (http://chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=67653&postcount=89)

starter

Are you a strong player who has thought, “One day I would like to win the Box Hill OPEN, but I am a bit busy this year?”

I have news for you. This year will probably be your last chance.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

In June 2005, the Box Hill and Whitehorse Chess Clubs received an eviction notice advising that their sub-lease of the Council premises would not be renewed as of 1/1/2006.
The premises is a community asset built principally for senior citizens clubs. In the Box Hill example, the Italian Senior Citizens Club, the Greek Senior Citizens Club, the Chinese Senior Citizens Club, and couple of others, have a seat on the Board of Management Committee (BOMC). And quite frankly, this particular group of oldies does not like youngsters using the venue in the evenings.
During the weekdays, the premises host a commendable Meals-on-Wheels programme, and also seat around 100 cheap meals for aged in the community for those who can make it to the Centre. In the evenings, the BOMC would prefer their venue not be used; on the other hand, the Whitehorse Council would like to see a community asset being used.
The Chess Clubs pay around $6000 p.a. to use this community venue.

The Chess Clubs have used to venue for about 48 weeks of the year for the past 8 years.
But not any more. The eviction notice still stands despite 11 weeks of lobbying and appeals.

Thus, 2005 is likely to be the last Box Hill OPEN.
(Note. Yes, we have examined the Whitehorse Council document called Venues for hire, <it runs to 14 pages at about 8 venues-per-page> and sadly we can find no safe, convenient venue that seats 100+ with trestle tables set-up permanently).

You can obtain early-bird entry to the 2005 Box Hill OPEN until next Tuesday.
(First prize of $500 is guaranteed).

starter

jenni
01-09-2005, 05:45 PM
Have you tried a sob story in the local rag? - you never know what might turn up.

I was running a lot of schools comps at a certain club in Canberra and to be quite honest I was in tears on numerous occasions, because I was copping so much aggro from the manager over the kids. He was threatening to stop us using the club which would have been a major problem. However I broadcast the problem to a number of people (didn't go to the media, but did a lot of whinging, which in Canberra is almost the same) and Campbell High popped up with an offer of a permanent home and to let us run schools comps there on weekdays (an amazingly generous offer).

ursogr8
01-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Have you tried a sob story in the local rag? - you never know what might turn up.

I was running a lot of schools comps at a certain club in Canberra and to be quite honest I was in tears on numerous occasions, because I was copping so much aggro from the manager over the kids. He was threatening to stop us using the club which would have been a major problem. However I broadcast the problem to a number of people (didn't go to the media, but did a lot of whinging, which in Canberra is almost the same) and Campbell High popped up with an offer of a permanent home and to let us run schools comps there on weekdays (an amazingly generous offer).

Jenni

Yes, we have done a lot of whinging (your words). But no, we have not gone to the local press. While we have held out hope that the local Council may over-rule to BOMC (for a Council asset), we have been reluctant to burn that bridge.

starter

Rincewind
01-09-2005, 06:08 PM
Yes, we have done a lot of whinging (your words). But no, we have not gone to the local press. While we have held out hope that the local Council may over-rule to BOMC (for a Council asset), we have been reluctant to burn that bridge.

Go on, do it!

There is nothing quite so liberating as the smell of the smouldering embers of a freshly burnt bridge.

:)

eclectic
01-09-2005, 06:52 PM
starter,

you could rename the club the

box hill extremely forward planned senior citizens chess club

and point out that although the club seems to have a lot of juniors ...

they are merely oldies taking advantage of the early bird discount!

that way the club could seek to have a seat on the management board too

eclectic

ursogr8
01-09-2005, 07:43 PM
starter,

you could rename the club the

box hill extremely forward planned senior citizens chess club

and point out that although the club seems to have a lot of juniors ...

they are merely oldies taking advantage of the early bird discount!

that way the club could seek to have a seat on the management board too

eclectic

hi 'e'

Thanks for the touch of levity.

We all have good ideas on what we would like to say in favour of the Clubs, but the BOMC will not respond to offers of discussion, and have refused the Council's direction to enter formal mediation.

starter

firegoat7
01-09-2005, 08:42 PM
In June 2005, the Box Hill and Whitehorse Chess Clubs received an eviction notice advising that their sub-lease of the Council premises would not be renewed as of 1/1/2006.

So the rumors are true. This is very sad, but I am sure the Box Hill committee will be able to arrange another premises. It would be a big loss to Australian chess if Victoria's best managed and most popular club disappeared. Carpe diem Starter, Talk to the MCC and ChessVictoria treasurers.

cheers fg7

ursogr8
01-09-2005, 10:22 PM
So the rumors are true. This is very sad, but I am sure the Box Hill committee will be able to arrange another premises. It would be a big loss to Australian chess if Victoria's best managed and most popular club disappeared.

cheers fg7

hi fg7

Another premises seems to be beyond us in the Box Hill and Doncaster electorates. The search is not really aided and abetted by those who we need to assist us.

Current investigations are
a) to move to another part of Melbourne....and hope a large enough venue exists in other electorates.
or more likely
b) scale down activities to small club sizes and disaggregate. That is, shrink to core activities.

Thanks for your kind words.

starter

Spiny Norman
02-09-2005, 12:05 AM
starter, lets catch up soon and talk about this. Croydon has a "free venue" large enough to accommodate those sorts of numbers ... so we should look into whether we can organise a similar setup for BHCC in your local area? I have been off work for a few days with the lurgi, but am just about back on deck.

Garvinator
02-09-2005, 12:41 AM
starter, lets catch up soon and talk about this. Croydon has a "free venue" large enough to accommodate those sorts of numbers ... so we should look into whether we can organise a similar setup for BHCC in your local area? I have been off work for a few days with the lurgi, but am just about back on deck.
would some kind of a merger be a possibility?

WhiteElephant
02-09-2005, 01:19 AM
starter, this is indeed sad news.

I too had heard the rumours but thought it would all be rectified.

I am curious about your phrase "The search is not really aided and abetted by those who we need to assist us". May I ask to whom you are referring? Is it the BOMC or someone else?

ursogr8
02-09-2005, 08:35 AM
starter, this is indeed sad news.

I too had heard the rumours but thought it would all be rectified.

I am curious about your phrase "The search is not really aided and abetted by those who we need to assist us". May I ask to whom you are referring? Is it the BOMC or someone else?

hi George

I was referring to two other parties in this.

1 The Whitehorse Council should feel some measure of civic pride having a large volunteer juniors/senior Club in its municipality. If pride does not work then they should try measuring the shopping traffic we bring to the Box Hill complex. If pride and traffic don't do it for them then they should consider the inequity of being evicted from an 8 year tenancy with zero warning notices.
2 The Whitehorse Council administration should do more than just hand us a Venues for Rent. Obviously they have leverage over many of these venues for hiring fees.

regards
Trevor

Garvinator
02-09-2005, 11:52 AM
Starter,

Do you have any idea why this is becoming an issue now? Box Hill has been at its present venue for quite a while and only is it an issue? Have there been issues in the past?

Spiny Norman
02-09-2005, 12:18 PM
would some kind of a merger be a possibility?
It might overwhelm our little club, as BHCC is a fairly "serious" chess environment by comparison. Its not that we couldn't accommodate those sorts of numbers at our venue, but we're quite a distance away physically (about 20 minutes by car). For a bunch of people at Box Hill I am sure Croydon would be most inconvenient (whilst others would of course find it "not too bad" I suppose). I'd rather see whether there's any contacts or influence I can use to help BHCC get a good venue that's large enough for them, and local to them.

kveldulv
02-09-2005, 12:39 PM
I think this deserves to be in its own thread (not hidden away here) to help get as much visibility and suggestions/etc. as possible.

I'm saddened by this as I believe the venue and it's location have been a key factor in the success of the club.

I reckon we need launch a mutli-pronged, do-or-die effort to keep us there. Are there any plans to formally announce this at the club? Might be some members keen to take up the fight!?

Exposing those mean oldies in the local media might be a good start.

Shaun

kveldulv
02-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Do you have any idea why this is becoming an issue now? Box Hill has been at its present venue for quite a while and only is it an issue? Have there been issues in the past?
My impression (gleaned from my days as a BHCC committee member) was that we were a most welcome tenant.

In fact, I recall being told that the Senior Citizens were glad the venue was being used by the BHCC as that meant fewer nights when it could be used by others. (I think we looked after and left the venue in better condition than other once-off functions.)

I don't think anyone knows why the sudden change; they certainly sound like they've been reluctant to enter into any dialogue.

Shaun

ursogr8
02-09-2005, 03:19 PM
I think this deserves to be in its own thread (not hidden away here) to help get as much visibility and suggestions/etc. as possible.

I'm saddened by this as I believe the venue and it's location have been a key factor in the success of the club.

Agreed

I reckon we need launch a mutli-pronged, do-or-die effort to keep us there. Are there any plans to formally announce this at the club? Might be some members keen to take up the fight!?
Mail-out has been constructed...due for release v. soon.

Exposing those mean oldies in the local media might be a good start.
Shaun

May have to come to this if the Council will not intervene.

starter

eclectic
02-09-2005, 03:48 PM
who or what organisation(s) want(s) that venue tuesday and friday nights?

who do they know in high places?

eclectic

eclectic
02-09-2005, 04:14 PM
the picture in the top right hand corner

http://www.whitehorse.vic.gov.au/commdir/Default.asp

eclectic

Spiny Norman
02-09-2005, 04:22 PM
who or what organisation(s) want(s) that venue tuesday and friday nights? who do they know in high places?
The other question that springs to mind:

Is there anyone that you (BHCC) have really offended lately? Perhaps someone is working against you behind the scenes? (I'm a conspiracy theorist from way back) If communication lines are open with someone in the management committee, perhaps over a few beers they might tell you what's REALLY going on behind the scenes ...

Garvinator
02-09-2005, 04:39 PM

Is there anyone that you (BHCC) have really offended lately? Perhaps someone is working against you behind the scenes? (I'm a conspiracy theorist from way back) If communication lines are open with someone in the management committee, perhaps over a few beers they might tell you what's REALLY going on behind the scenes ...
I had also been thinking that this might be the case. Maybe someone who knows someone had a big beef with the juniors or something and now the wheels are in motion.

As hard as it is to say, it might be best to find a new venue and get a more permanent arrangement for your club. Maybe a chess centre perhaps :lol: :lol: :whistle:

Seriously though, if it is a case of one person complains and then you are tossed out on your ear, might be best long term to find a new venue.

Kevin Bonham
02-09-2005, 05:14 PM
It's a shame, Box Hill has such a good venue at present.

Hobart International's about to get the boot. Changes to DIMIA funding mean that our rent will go through the roof and we will not be able to recoup it because we do not deal mainly with "entrants who have been in Australia up to 5 years".

ursogr8
02-09-2005, 05:16 PM
who or what organisation(s) want(s) that venue tuesday and friday nights?

who do they know in high places?

eclectic

The venue is infrequently booked by casuals on each week night (save Tuesday and Friday when we have a regular booking obviously). In the past we have noted sporadic bookings on Wednesday night by Toastmasters, etc. I think it is empty 75% of the time on M W and Th.
It is reasonable to assume Tu. night similarly has no competitors to the chess club booking.
Alternative usage on a Friday is hard to call because we have no communication from the BOMC.

Saturday night has a more regular clientele; dancing mainly. We have used this time twice in each of the past two years (for VIC OPEN week-enders); this has ben mishandled by the BOMC as they have double-booked the venue even though our bookings were in 7 months early, and confirmed.
Our offer for 2006 was to have no week-enders...we can easily find another venue for a one-off.

Sunday nights seems to receive some bookings starting at 7pm.......this has required us to finish the ROOKIES clean-up by that time. We have always
achieved.

Basically, the BOMC don't need the cash (our annual is $6000), so like an Army Quartermaster....they would prefer to just lock-up the asset.

starter

ursogr8
02-09-2005, 05:20 PM
<snip>

Seriously though, if it is a case of one person complains and then you are tossed out on your ear, might be best long term to find a new venue.

gg''

How many venues do you know that have seating for 120+ permanently set-up? This is our key value from this site at the moment. It is not self-evident that any other site offers this key item.

starter

ursogr8
02-09-2005, 05:25 PM
the picture in the top right hand corner

http://www.whitehorse.vic.gov.au/commdir/Default.asp

eclectic

hi 'e'

I knew I could count on you to find that irony. Do you know the players in the pic.? ;)

But, if you had navigated more around that site you would have found the button that enables an e-mail message direct to each and every (Whitehorse) councillor.
We are currently providing appropriate text to each of our e-mail_enabled members. How many messages do you think it will take? Should we aim for a tsunami, or drip-feed torrent?

starter

WhiteElephant
02-09-2005, 05:32 PM

I did hear a rumour to this effect but I have no idea how true it is and I certainly will not repeat it here. Perhaps starter might confirm/ deny.

In either case, in all my dealings with Box Hill officials, I have found them to be courteous, professional, and hard workers in the interests of chess/ their club.

Garvinator
02-09-2005, 05:35 PM
gg''

How many venues do you know that have seating for 120+ permanently set-up? This is our key value from this site at the moment. It is not self-evident that any other site offers this key item.

starter
I didnt say it was easy, just that if this issue is going to continue, then contingencies need to be considered.

eclectic
02-09-2005, 05:44 PM
hi 'e'

I knew I could count on you to find that irony. Do you know the players in the pic.? ;)

starter

yes i do

is the pic symbolic in that the powers that be have made a real "booboo"? ;)

and that bhcc has an in house expert to help in the refutation of badly considered "gambits" :)

take the matter to the media and put the council in a corner and on the back foot

eclectic

ursogr8
02-09-2005, 10:01 PM
yes i do

is the pic symbolic in that the powers that be have made a real "booboo"? ;)

and that bhcc has an in house expert to help in the refutation of badly considered "gambits" :)

take the matter to the media and put the council in a corner and on the back foot

eclectic

Almost cigar material 'e'.
You know a lot about us, but not a booboo in this case.
However, you are correct about the Flavoured Dude.

The media is a strong option; but my 'inside trader' agrees with me that this burns bridges. Let us see if we can cross them first.

starter

ursogr8
02-09-2005, 10:10 PM
I didnt say it was easy, just that if this issue is going to continue, then contingencies need to be considered.

gg''
You morphed from originally posting 'a new venue', to now posting 'contingencies'.
starter

eclectic
02-09-2005, 10:23 PM
Almost cigar material 'e'.
You know a lot about us, but not a booboo in this case.
However, you are correct about the Flavoured Dude.

The media is a strong option; but my 'inside trader' agrees with me that this burns bridges. Let us see if we can cross them first.

starter

by george, starter, did i perhaps subconsciously burn out the umber in a vain attempt to make the errant pun fit the occasion?

;)

eclectic

ElevatorEscapee
02-09-2005, 10:29 PM
Given the willingness of television current affairs shows to sink the boots in to local councils at the remotest excuse, I can almost envisage their promos now... :rolleyes:

Naomi Robson: For years, these children were quite happy playing chess...

(cross to footage of young children happily dancing around, big smiles on their faces, chess pieces in their hands)

Naomi Robson: But now a crazy local council wants to put a stop to their fun!

(cross to footage of the same young children, standing still, looking dejected, tears starting to well up in the corners of their eyes...)

Not to be outdone, a quick switch to Channel 9 reveals:

Ray Martin: ... and now for the story about the local Council that's banning fun!

Current Affairs Reporter: (questioning a Councilor) "What do you have against children playing chess?"... and... "So do you think it's fair to say that there are different rules for different people?"

Yes, it's trashy. Yes, it's cynical... and yes, it will appeal to the emotions of those very same senior citizens who share the venue... :confused: (Edit: and yes, it might make long lasting enemies. :( )

PHAT
03-09-2005, 01:45 AM

I know this will see me exposed as NSW-centric, but I have only just seen this thread. :oops:

Looks like a great advertisememnt for OWNING your own premises, a la a SCC.

Garvinator
03-09-2005, 02:33 AM
Looks like a great advertisememnt for OWNING your own premises, a la a SCC.
i already made this quip earlier in the thread ;)

jay_vee
03-09-2005, 04:35 AM
For a club, owning your own premises might actually make a lot more sense than for a state association.

Spiny Norman
03-09-2005, 08:12 AM
For a club, owning your own premises might actually make a lot more sense than for a state association.
I'm sure everyone realises that you need a LOT of financial support in order to set up a building, no matter whether purchased or leased. Our church finally decided to start leasing rather than "renting and moving about all the time" about 3 years ago. There were 3 or 4 families in the church who had both the smarts and the financial muscle to make it possible. Across the whole group we raised more than $50,000 and had to ensure that our monthly income was at least $6,000 on a regular basis.

Over a 6-month period we had to educate the members about what was going to happen, address all their concerns, show them how they could (should!) participate, locate a suitable property, negotiate terms with the landlord, negotiate with council (what a flaming nightmare!), and so on. It was a huge effort, and not something that I would recommend UNLESS there is a small but substantial "core group" committed to the project, and plenty of time to educate people so that they don't get scared off. The biggest hurdle in BHCC's situation is probably convincing enough people to put up their hard-earned on behalf of the club. Not an easy task I am sure ... churches have made an art form of that skill over the years and even we don't find it easy.

Having pointed out the difficulties, let me mention some of the obvious benefits. We now have a great venue (which is also, incidentally, used for chess once a week ... hint, hint). Some of the "hangers on" moved on, naturally enough, so the core group of supporters who believed in the project from the start have been proven right and have greater influence for the future. The leadership of the church was shown to have led, thus increasing their influence. The "flavour" of the place has changed much for the better. Sticking together to see a project through has a way of bringing a lot of people together in a positive way. The unity created has seen the place grow and lots of new people come in through the door.

More than anything I think, people like to be associated with something FRESH/NEW and with something that is clearly GOING PLACES.

If BHCC went along the purchase/lease road, I would say "go for it" but "proceed with caution" ... make sure you build a team who're committed to seeing the result achieved. If such a project were to fail, it would not be because of the council, or the banks, or anything technical. It is always a people-management, team-building issue.

Libby
03-09-2005, 09:23 AM

starter

It can burn bridges. Even if successful, you can be left with a level of ill-will between parties at the top.

Perhaps you could start small scale and not "officially."

Letters to local suburban newspapers from parents.

Target your need to know "why" ahead of targeting anything else.

If you are making a financial contribution (small or large) to council coffers, have looked after the venue in a responsible way and there is no actual conflict with other activities (more associated with the venue's "purpose") it shouldn't be unreasonable for you to have a reason.

Do you have a local (free) paper? Or any locally based media?

Libby

ursogr8
03-09-2005, 02:08 PM
by george, starter, did i perhaps subconsciously burn out the umber in a vain attempt to make the errant pun fit the occasion?

;)

eclectic

'e'

I don't think it is George either. In fact, I can't work out who it is.
Appears to wear his wrist-watch on his right wrist; so does that make him a molly-duker?
My guess is that it was a visitor to a different Council-venue.

starter

ursogr8
07-09-2005, 08:41 AM
<snip>

As recommended by you gg'' we have investigated quite a few contingencies.

A site not far from our current premises, and a fraction up-market in quality, is available for $300 per session, whereas we are currently paying $50 three times per week to seat 100 players. I can't see us financing $900 per week as against the current $150 (in those weeks where the ROOKIES Cup is conducted).

Another nearby site is the stereotypical church Hall that currently doubles as a basketball court. The task of fetching and setting up 25 trestle tables and 100 chairs, a couple of times per week, looks to be beyond our energies. Finding a crew to put furniture away late at night is always a bugbear.

Our junior sessions, held 6-7.30 on Tuesdays could be moved to available facilities at the Town Hall. So Whitehorse Junior Club may simply be re-located with little impact. But the option is not available for senior activities.

The most likely outcome is the end of Box Hill Chess Club as an evening chess club. We are contemplating simply running a handful of week-enders next year.
That will be the limit of our activities unless we can win the battle to stay in our current location. (Unless of course we get lucky in our continued searching).

starter

Garvinator
07-09-2005, 11:42 AM
As recommended by you gg'' we have investigated quite a few contingencies. i dont think my recommendation was really the catalyst for looking for new venues ;)

A site not far from our current premises, and a fraction up-market in quality, is available for $300 per session, whereas we are currently paying $50 three times per week to seat 100 players. I can't see us financing $900 per week as against the current $150 (in those weeks where the ROOKIES Cup is conducted). yes those figures do seem a bit high. There is a venue up here that we use for some caq events (Marymac Centre) where Ian has been able to negotiate us to be able to use it for $100 per day. For the venue size, trestle tables and playground stuff outside, it seems a fair price.

Our junior sessions, held 6-7.30 on Tuesdays could be moved to available facilities at the Town Hall. So Whitehorse Junior Club may simply be re-located with little impact. But the option is not available for senior activities. Is the town hall too small for the adult club?

The most likely outcome is the end of Box Hill Chess Club as an evening chess club. We are contemplating simply running a handful of week-enders next year.
That will be the limit of our activities unless we can win the battle to stay in our current location. (Unless of course we get lucky in our continued searching). :( :( :(

As an aside, has Box Hill approached Chess Victoria in WRITING and asked for assistance in either staying at your current venue or locating new premises.
Surely it cant be in cv's interests either to have Box Hill fold from its current state.

Also the reason I suggest about CV is that the more people who are aware of your situation in the chess community, the more people might know of someone/somewhere that might be able to help.

ursogr8
07-09-2005, 11:55 AM
<snip>

As an aside, has Box Hill approached Chess Victoria in WRITING and asked for assistance in either staying at your current venue or locating new premises.
Surely it cant be in cv's interests either to have Box Hill fold from its current state.

Also the reason I suggest about CV is that the more people who are aware of your situation in the chess community, the more people might know of someone/somewhere that might be able to help.

CV are well aware of our search (given that 2 out of the active 3 members are in fact BH members anyway).

starter

Garvinator
07-09-2005, 12:41 PM
A site not far from our current premises, and a fraction up-market in quality, is available for $300 per session, whereas we are currently paying $50 three times per week to seat 100 players. I can't see us financing $900 per week as against the current $150 (in those weeks where the ROOKIES Cup is conducted).
Has there been any thought given to holding a special general meeting of the Box Hill Chess Club? Might be an idea, so the members can then decide on what they as a majority would like to do. Perhaps the increased venue hire above might be more pallatable if it is the only option. Of course this will mean less prizes, but perhaps the members might be able to deal with less prizes if it the only option for keeping the club going in its present format :uhoh:

I dont really have any answers, only ideas I come up with. If i was there, I would probably help with the search, if that is what you guys wanted that is :hmm:

ursogr8
11-09-2005, 05:32 PM
It can burn bridges. Even if successful, you can be left with a level of ill-will between parties at the top.

Perhaps you could start small scale and not "officially."

Letters to local suburban newspapers from parents.

Target your need to know "why" ahead of targeting anything else.

If you are making a financial contribution (small or large) to council coffers, have looked after the venue in a responsible way and there is no actual conflict with other activities (more associated with the venue's "purpose") it shouldn't be unreasonable for you to have a reason.

Do you have a local (free) paper? Or any locally based media?

Libby

Apology Libby, I must have skipped over your constructive post.
All that you write is logical.
Yes we have approached local councillors, local council admin. and the BOMC of the venue.
And just last Friday we were able to get to see the local Federal MP, who was very sympathetic.
Some alternate venues are starting to be found, and klyall is a whiz at negotiating down the rates to bring them within cooey of what we can afford.
Set-up of furniture for large fields 2-3 times per week is still a key factor.

And I do think we will end up outside the municipality, thus indicating a name change for the Club.

starter

Mischa
11-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Ashburton Chess Club?

Rincewind
11-09-2005, 06:26 PM
And I do think we will end up outside the municipality, thus indicating a name change for the Club.

The question on everyone's (parched) lips is: will the new location be within reasonable walking distance of licensed premises? ;)

ursogr8
11-09-2005, 07:20 PM
Ashburton Chess Club?

More likely Canterbury-hypenated Chess Club, or even Blackburn.

starter

Mischa
11-09-2005, 07:27 PM
hmmmmmmmmm....getting further away?

ursogr8
11-09-2005, 07:36 PM
hmmmmmmmmm....getting further away?
The furtherest thing from my mind. :silly: :grin:

ursogr8
11-09-2005, 07:39 PM
The question on everyone's (parched) lips is: will the new location be within reasonable walking distance of licensed premises? ;)

I challenge the 'everyone' in your post.
For one, the Flavoured Dude is more inclined to the Dumpling King as a criteria for proximity. :)

Rincewind
11-09-2005, 07:42 PM
... or even Blackburn.

No chance of them appending an 'e' to that name, is there? Blackburne Chess Club has a certain distinguished ring to it. :)

ursogr8
21-09-2005, 10:14 AM
More likely Canterbury-hypenated Chess Club, or even Blackburn.

starter

1 Now examing options in Nth Balwyn...again a Senior Citizens Centre.
2 Canterbury option is a fall-back solution. Working description is a 'renovators dream'.

starter

Thhhza
21-09-2005, 11:02 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, not the Box Hill Chess Club!
The death of the BHCC will be the death of a third of the Victorian rating list, the Winter Interclub and much much more.

It's where I learnt to play to chess and I got my first ever rated win there (hard to forget since I was like a queen, a rook and a bishop/knight down to checkmate the guy in the corner :), he was seriously pissed because I should've resigned but I was just a kid so meh).

I haven't played a rated game in a while (actually my name just went off the list this year), but I was thinking of coming back since I only left to concentrate on VCE and now that I'm in uni I have the time again.

Damn, it would be an absolute shame if you couldn't find another place nearby or able to stay in the current location. Because it's seriously the perfect setup, parking a plenty if you weren't lazy to walk a bit, kitchen with canteen and seats heaps of people.

Just off the top of my head, I had exams at the Camberwell Civic Centre mid year. It's a big place, maybe worth a look?

Davidflude
24-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Things are happening on all fronts. One way or another we will have a viable club next year. Starter and I inspected places during the week.

possibilities include

1) present place totally, if it can be negotiated

2) present place on tuesdays another place on fridays.

3) a place that starter mentioned previously which is a bit rough and ready but close to our existing venue and 50 metres from a railway station which is zone 1 and about a seven minute walk to a tram line.

4) A mind blowing venue which is some distance from our present venue.

There are other places as well.

DoroPhil
24-09-2005, 11:13 AM
I really hope it works out for Box Hill CC. Victoria needs this club.

Alan Shore
24-09-2005, 06:50 PM
I really hope it works out for Box Hill CC. Victoria needs this club.

Perhaps the first ever positive post from Dorophil? Better savour this moment!

Good luck with it anyways, starter.

arosar
30-09-2005, 06:19 PM
IMPORTANT blog update!

Go there now...

AR

auriga
30-09-2005, 06:54 PM
ar, i'm upset at your comments re michael adams - in the world ch predictions bit!!
he is a true gentleman of chess and one of the top players and always a chance in any tournament (i think even kasparov would have got smashed by hydra!)...
can you post an apology in your next update - you've offended a whole nation.

arosar
30-09-2005, 06:56 PM
can you post an apology in your next update - you've offended a whole nation.

Well, if you put it like that. OK.

But now, I go and drink and play chess!! You live nearby right? Come to Spanish Club. I teach you a lesson.

AR

ursogr8
30-09-2005, 08:57 PM
IMPORTANT blog update!

Go there now...

AR

Amiel

Thanks for posting the CRIKEY links.

Incidentally, when I arrived home from the ERGAS squad session there was a voice-mail from the Director of the Senior Cits. A couple of us are invited to the Committee of Managment of the current venue (in October). This is a step fwd from the previous
> unilateral eviction notice, and
> refusal (by the BOMC) to attend Council directed formal mediation.

starter

Frank Walker
30-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Possibilities For Hire
- Box Hill Town Hall
- Waratah Room - Whitehorse Civic Centre
- The Courtyard - Whitehorse Civic Centre
- Willis Room - Whitehorse Civic Centre
- Horticultural Centre
- North Blackburn Square Community Room
- Eley Park Community Centre
- South Blackburn Hall
- Strabane Chapel Hall
- East Burwood Hall
- Forest Hill Hall
- Box Hill Community Arts Centre
-Box Hill High School
-Balwyn High School

ursogr8
30-09-2005, 09:48 PM
Possibilities For Hire
- Box Hill Town Hall
- Waratah Room - Whitehorse Civic Centre
- The Courtyard - Whitehorse Civic Centre
- Willis Room - Whitehorse Civic Centre
- Horticultural Centre
- North Blackburn Square Community Room
- Eley Park Community Centre
- South Blackburn Hall
- Strabane Chapel Hall
- East Burwood Hall
- Forest Hill Hall
- Box Hill Community Arts Centre
-Box Hill High School
-Balwyn High School

Actually, the Council handout of venue options is much larger than this ^^^........and runs over 20 pages.
But most get knocked of consideration by two criteria
> must have satisfactory tables and chairs permanently set-up for 100 players
> rent <$100 per session (currently paying <$50/session). Some you quote Frank, want $300 per session.

Frank Walker
30-09-2005, 10:14 PM
Actually, the Council handout of venue options is much larger than this ^^^........and runs over 20 pages.
But most get knocked of consideration by two criteria
> must have satisfactory tables and chairs permanently set-up for 100 players
> rent <$100 per session (currently paying <$50/session). Some you quote Frank, want $300 per session.

I know that the Box Hill Town Hall is outrageously expensive. I dont live near Box Hill but perhaps there could be a local library with a spare room?
Community Centres are free but I'm not sure if they will let you since you charge money.

Davidflude
03-10-2005, 09:11 AM
Ari Mayden, Gerrit Hartland Starter and I plus other committee members have looked at various venues and without going into detail I expect things to start coming together by late next week. We also looked at a list of venues from the
Boroondora council and there are real alternatives to our present venue.

Nevertheless thank you very much for your input.

Best wishes,

Flavoured Dude.

ursogr8
20-10-2005, 01:43 PM
Current state of play on this issue has taken a couple of turns for the worse.

1 Rather hopeful discussions with the local Whitehorse Council have been torpedoed as the venue managers (the local Senior Citizens Club) , have reneged on the mediated agreement and have reconfirmed the eviction notice.

2 The fallback option of using the Victorian Bridge Association premises has fallen through as they have been unsuccessful in their application for a permit extension to cover Friday evenings; it has been knocked back by the Glen Eira Council (yes, the one that was sacked for fighting and incompetence).

We are now struggling to find a home for our membership of 230.

starter

jenni
20-10-2005, 02:13 PM
Oh no! I had been thinking of you and hoping your meeting had gone well. Sounds like it didn't. Having seen your premises, I now realise just how much of a tragedy it is.

ChessGuru
20-10-2005, 10:49 PM
Another option not yet mentioned.

I would be prepared to BUY a building to operate as a permanent chess centre. Box Hill Chess Club could operate the club nights (at $150 per week as they are paying now) while I would operate retail and coaching the remainder of the time.

It would provide a permanent home at a reasonable rate. It would provide some commercial benefits for me (ie. $150 easier per week to break even, regular chess traffic etc).

Any thoughts?

pax
21-10-2005, 11:26 AM
Sounds plausible at the very least. Get on the phone to BHCC!

jenni
21-10-2005, 12:35 PM
Sounds like it could be a win win situation. ChessGuru gets an asset and possible capital gain in the future and Box Hill gets a home.

Even if ChessGuru turns into an evil land lord in the future and tries to extract extortionate rents, they would be no worse off than they are now i.e having to find a new home. In the meantime they can get on with doing what they do so well.

firegoat7
21-10-2005, 01:13 PM
Sounds like it could be a win win situation.

Maybe it is a win/win/loss relationship.

Chessguru gets a receptive feeder club for his junior programs. Box Hill gets a venue for a fee, in which it will always be the tenant.

Meanwhile, one can only imagine what will happen to

a) Chess Ideas coaching at Box Hill.
b) Dark horse junior chess club.
c) Marcus Raine and his bookstore.
d) The resident IMs and GMs

Not to mention the incredible goodwill that Box Hill has built up in the Victorian chess community. Do you think some people would continue to send kids to Box Hill if they knew Guru was involved?

cheers Fg7

antichrist
21-10-2005, 01:29 PM
FG, how come you have opened up with your six-guns yet?

Why pretend you are Mr Ordinary?

firegoat7
21-10-2005, 01:34 PM
FG, how come you have opened up with your six-guns yet?

Why pretend you are Mr Ordinary?

What are you talking about AC?

antichrist
21-10-2005, 01:48 PM
What are you talking about AC?

Well you certainly not posting anything likely to end up in "Classic Stirs" thread. You could take aim at Jenni again, not that I don't feel sorry for her. And fancy you going along with Chessguru to make a profit - you must be getting old and fuzzy.

firegoat7
21-10-2005, 02:01 PM
And fancy you going along with Chessguru to make a profit - you must be getting old and fuzzy.

I believe this is just your interpretation AC...in fact I am arguing the exact opposite.

cheers Fg7

jenni
22-10-2005, 12:14 AM
a) Chess Ideas coaching at Box Hill.
b) Dark horse junior chess club.
c) Marcus Raine and his bookstore.

This can be safeguarded via a lease agreement. If it is a commercial agreement then the Landlord cannot dictate what you can or can't do on your premises. Specific requirements, such as Marcus selling his books can be written into the agreement.

d) The resident IMs and GMs

Not to mention the incredible goodwill that Box Hill has built up in the Victorian chess community. Do you think some people would continue to send kids to Box Hill if they knew Guru was involved?

cheers Fg7

This is the hard bit. Knowing how much ill will he has built up over the years, I guess it is impossible that all the members will be prepared to play chess in a building owned by him.

So poor old Box Hill better keep looking. I am sure something will be found eventually - impossible to think it will die because of the lack of a building.

Garvinator
22-10-2005, 12:33 AM
Is MCC able to help in any way?

ursogr8
23-10-2005, 02:03 PM
Current state of play on this issue has taken a couple of turns for the worse.

1 Rather hopeful discussions with the local Whitehorse Council have been torpedoed as the venue managers (the local Senior Citizens Club) , have reneged on the mediated agreement and have reconfirmed the eviction notice.

2 The fallback option of using the Victorian Bridge Association premises has fallen through as they have been unsuccessful in their application for a permit extension to cover Friday evenings; it has been knocked back by the Glen Eira Council (yes, the one that was sacked for fighting and incompetence).

We are now struggling to find a home for our membership of 230.

starter

The BHCC committee met this morning to consider developments and plan a way forward.
1 Now certain that the venue will not be made available to us on the Friday evenings ...our largest programme. This programme is likely to move to another municipality...the Masonic hall in Canterbury.
2 We will attempt to negotiate the current venue for the Tuesday programme.
3 No plan in place for the Sunday programme of events in 2006.

starter

ursogr8
06-11-2005, 08:53 AM
The BHCC committee met this morning to consider developments and plan a way forward.
1 Now certain that the venue will not be made available to us on the Friday evenings ...our largest programme. This programme is likely to move to another municipality...the Masonic hall in Canterbury.
2 We will attempt to negotiate the current venue for the Tuesday programme.
3 No plan in place for the Sunday programme of events in 2006.

starter

This place (http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/venue.htm) is where you will find us next year.
Anticipate a similar calendar to 2005.

However, the club will probably not bid for CV events (VIC OPEN w/e) in particular as we need to consolidate in our 'renovators opportunity'.

Handshake anyone?

starter

arosar
06-11-2005, 10:12 AM
Looks like a friggin' mausoleum. Anyway how far is this place from the old one? And any motels/hotels nearby this place?

AR

four four two
06-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Did anyone watch "The Mummy" last night?,some egyptian looking motifs there. ;) The venue looks good, the lighting may have come out poorly in the photo. :hmm:

ursogr8
06-11-2005, 11:38 AM
Looks like a friggin' mausoleum.

There is a well frequented Melbourne Pub in Victoria Parade that has been renovated to look run-down. It attracts the punters like nobodies business. How the populace reacts to marketing images is a black art.
Oh, and as to your question....no, there are no dead XXXX inside. ;)

I didn't notice any necrotics. :cool:

Anyway how far is this place from the old one?
3km max.

And any motels/hotels nearby this place?

AR

It is close to the world famous Maling Road. ;)
But you may be a bit at odds to the usual clientele, Mr Sydney Eccentric.

regards
starter

firegoat7
06-11-2005, 11:45 AM
Starter,

The venue looks fine. Needs like it needs a bit of TLC, but I'm sure BHCC will get it looking good. Hope it all goes well, and congratulations on your new venue.

cheers fg7

Watto
06-11-2005, 12:13 PM
Did anyone watch "The Mummy" last night?,some egyptian looking motifs there. ;) The venue looks good, the lighting may have come out poorly in the photo. :hmm:

hehe. Yes, we watched it. What have Egyptian scarab beetles got to do with the Masons... ?

Looks a good venue to me. Should be a bit like going to a movie at the Astor (for those who don't live in Melbourne, it's a beautiful old movie theatre- makes the whole experience more enjoyable).

Kaitlin
06-11-2005, 02:45 PM
Did anyone watch "The Mummy" last night?,some egyptian looking motifs there. The venue looks good, the lighting may have come out poorly in the photo.

hehe. Yes, we watched it. What have Egyptian scarab beetles got to do with the Masons... ?

Looks a good venue to me. Should be a bit like going to a movie at the Astor (for those who don't live in Melbourne, it's a beautiful old movie theatre- makes the whole experience more enjoyable).

Kewl... sounds like the start of an underground gothic chess subculture :ninja:

jenni
06-11-2005, 03:20 PM
congratulations! I am sure a relief to have a home for next year. What about running Rookies and Queens and Sunday stuff - still no plans for that?

Denis_Jessop
06-11-2005, 04:15 PM
This place (http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/venue.htm) is where you will find us next year.
Anticipate a similar calendar to 2005.

However, the club will probably not bid for CV events (VIC OPEN w/e) in particular as we need to consolidate in our 'renovators opportunity'.

Handshake anyone?

starter

Glad you've found a home. It has an appropriate Mexican air ;) (or is it Mayan?)

DJ

klyall
06-11-2005, 08:22 PM
congratulations! I am sure a relief to have a home for next year. What about running Rookies and Queens and Sunday stuff - still no plans for that?

There are plans to run the Rookies Cup and Queens Cup next year. However it will not be the third Sunday of the Month. It will be the first Sunday of the month - as this fits in better with the Mason's schedule. The first tournament will be in March 2006.

Garvinator
06-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Very good to see BHCC has a new venue, but what will the new club name be :cool:

Also looking at the pics provided, I see that some ppl could claim that MCC and <insertnewnamehere>chess club :uhoh: have more in common than ever before. I refer to the graffitied bus stop in front of <insertnewnamehere>chess club. ;)

four four two
07-11-2005, 12:02 AM
I cant speak of suburban Brisbane,but I can tell you that tagging is rife in the suburbs in Melbourne. In the inner city of Melbourne,which is where MCC is,its simply BALLISTIC.The council that controls the area where the MCC is ,is one of the wealthiest councils=they make MILLIONS in parking fines each year.They also spend NOTHING on helping to clean existing graffiti,or in graffiti prevention. :mad:

Garvinator
07-11-2005, 02:02 AM
I cant speak of suburban Brisbane,but I can tell you that tagging is rife in the suburbs in Melbourne. In the inner city of Melbourne,which is where MCC is,its simply BALLISTIC.The council that controls the area where the MCC is ,is one of the wealthiest councils=they make MILLIONS in parking fines each year.They also spend NOTHING on helping to clean existing graffiti,or in graffiti prevention. :mad:
in quite a few parts of Brisbane it is also rife. my comment wasnt intended actually to start a graffiti debate ;) it was more just having a tongue in cheek shot at those who keep running down mcc.

ursogr8
07-11-2005, 06:41 AM
Very good to see BHCC has a new venue, but what will the new club name be :cool:

<snip>

We always thought Canterbury-Bankstown had a pleasant ring to it. :uhoh:

Rincewind
07-11-2005, 07:14 AM
We always thought Canterbury-Bankstown had a pleasant ring to it. :uhoh:

Do you really want to be known as The Home of the Doggies?

firegoat7
07-11-2005, 04:53 PM
In the inner city of Melbourne,which is where MCC is,its simply BALLISTIC.

I like graffitti, it shows you living culture, in fact the stencil arts in Leicester St are a cultural icon, which a lot of people photograph. My favorite is the AT-TT walkers in boots.(Star Wars Imperial).

cheers Fg7

ursogr8
01-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Starter,

The venue looks fine. Needs like it needs a bit of TLC, but I'm sure BHCC will get it looking good. Hope it all goes well, and congratulations on your new venue.

cheers fg7

Thanks for the good wishes fg7.

We are 75% of the way to financing the move to new premises.

Read here (http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/donations.htm) to see how we are going and who has helped us.

starter

arosar
20-02-2006, 02:13 PM
It is sometimes surprising where you get traffic from. Somebody from Romania, of all places, was reading the Box Hill CC website and then clicked away to my blog!!

AR

ursogr8
20-02-2006, 02:50 PM
It is sometimes surprising where you get traffic from. Somebody from Romania, of all places, was reading the Box Hill CC website and then clicked away to my blog!!

AR

We have a couple of ex-pat from Romania as BHCC members (now).

starter

ps Nice reminder that your blog is there to be read btw. ;)