PDA

View Full Version : Australian record for most state titles

Kevin Bonham
30-08-2005, 11:15 PM
I'd be interested to know who holds the Australian record for the most wins of a state title.

I see that Haydn Barber has just won the WA state champs for a record 13th time. The record for Tasmania is also 13 - Otto Weber won the Tas Champs 13 times in 16 attempts in the 1950s and 1960s (no one else has won more than five). I'd assume some other state (perhaps SA?) could have a past titleholder with more titles than that - any suggestions?

Rincewind
30-08-2005, 11:31 PM
According to the NSWCA website...

L Steiner holds the record in NSW 9 titles through the 40's and 50s.
CJS Purdy 7 times
G Koshnitsky 6 + 1 joint title with Goldstein
S Crakanthorp 6, Earliest 1905 latest 1933

Also HJ Barber also won the NSW title in 1987. Does that count as state title number 14?

Kevin Bonham
31-08-2005, 02:01 AM
Also HJ Barber also won the NSW title in 1987. Does that count as state title number 14?

Yes I think if a player wins state titles in multiple Australian states then all of them should count towards the record.

pballard
31-08-2005, 04:57 PM
I'd be interested to know who holds the Australian record for the most wins of a state title.

I see that Haydn Barber has just won the WA state champs for a record 13th time. The record for Tasmania is also 13 - Otto Weber won the Tas Champs 13 times in 16 attempts in the 1950s and 1960s (no one else has won more than five). I'd assume some other state (perhaps SA?) could have a past titleholder with more titles than that - any suggestions?

SA previous holders are at http://www.sachess.org/hisotrysc.htm (Note that "1976/8" means same winner for 1976, 77, and 78). I haven't gone over it carefully, but I think the SA leader is the late Frank Sulik with 9.

eclectic
31-08-2005, 06:05 PM
upon looking at the nswca website to follow up on this thread's raison d'etre i was absolutely astounded by two things:

the accessibility of its agm minutes (well recent ones anyway);
that it provides a list of past presidents.

their rumoured existence in victoria would most likely be classified as "procedural ephemera" were there such a concept under associations incorporations act (victoria) 1981

:whistle:

eclectic

p.s

i was actually looking for how many ian rogers has won and was surprised to find only the one in victoria.

i suspect though that ian has had the good sense to realise that there were more important fish to fry.