PDA

View Full Version : Good books for social players

Kevin Bonham
28-08-2005, 09:11 PM
I frequently get questions like the following:

I want to actually learn learn about it all, and I get the feeling just playing lots is probably the best thing, but perhaps you could recommend me a few good books on kinda.. basic opening manouvers or whatever kind of theory is involved with the whole thing?

I haven't really had a look round the novice end of the market for a while - I'd be interested in people's suggestions for good books for players (esp. adults) who know how to play the game but don't know much about it and are looking for something that will get them on the road to becoming a stronger social player or maybe even a club player. What would people recommend? If you only got serious about chess 5-10 years ago (or less) what did you use?

Bereaved
28-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Hi, Kevin,

Perhaps; Logical Chess Move by Move by Chernev, or Understanding Chess Move by move by Nunn are a good place to start,
Take care and God Bless, Macavity

brett
28-08-2005, 10:31 PM
I frequently get questions like the following:

I haven't really had a look round the novice end of the market for a while - I'd be interested in people's suggestions for good books for players (esp. adults) who know how to play the game but don't know much about it and are looking for something that will get them on the road to becoming a stronger social player or maybe even a club player. What would people recommend? If you only got serious about chess 5-10 years ago (or less) what did you use?

The Silman series are good

Complete Book of Chess Strategy
Reassess your Chess
Reassess your Chess workbook
Amateurs Mind

Simple Chess by Michael Stean is another great book

arosar
28-08-2005, 10:39 PM
I recommend books that have mates in 2 or 3 combos. Reinfeld's 1001 Winning Chess Sacs and Combos is a personal favourite. It's really through the brutality of combos that you see the beauty of chess. By showing people these, hopefully you spark their interest and fascination.

AR

antichrist
29-08-2005, 02:27 PM
But isn't it in the old notation?

One I would recommend is 1000 Best Short Games of Chess by Cherev[?] reprinted in Pinoy land. Maybe also in old notation.

Denis_Jessop
29-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Hi Kevin

I got serious about 60 years ago and one of my favourites was Cecil Purdy's "Guide to Good Chess" which I believe is still as good today for relative beginners as it deals with general principles.

DJ

Trent Parker
30-08-2005, 03:58 PM
"how not to play chess" is a good book..... by Eugene Z-B (can't remember the spelling :lol:)

arosar
30-08-2005, 07:04 PM
This book might be good for you. http://www.everymanchess.com/display.php?id=159

AR

arosar
02-09-2005, 06:24 PM
I should add that this book acually has a cult following. They call themselves the Knights Errant Order. The wonderful thing is that you can share in their experiences by reading their blogs. Amusing actually!

AR

gambitcrazy
08-09-2005, 09:00 AM
I should add that this book acually has a cult following. They call themselves the Knights Errant Order. The wonderful thing is that you can share in their experiences by reading their blogs. Amusing actually!

AR

You could also have said that there is no need to buy this book ;) ... it is freely available as a pdf at http://www.chesscafe.com/text/skittles148.pdf (part 1) and http://www.chesscafe.com/text/skittles150.pdf (part 2)

GC

arosar
08-09-2005, 11:28 AM
Those are just extracts. But thanks for the links!

AR

gambitcrazy
08-09-2005, 11:38 AM
Those are just extracts. But thanks for the links!

AR

Those are the original articles :) The book came later and has been roundly condemned as a waste of money because it adds nothing to the freely available pdfs ...

GC

arosar
08-09-2005, 05:41 PM
Condemned by whom? The establishment?

AR

gambitcrazy
09-09-2005, 08:20 AM
Condemned by whom? The establishment?

AR

Yes its a conspiracy ...

er I mean no, I read some reviews that complained that the book was just the content of the free articles plus a whole lot of lightweight fluffy filler ... sorry dont remember where I saw those reviews

GC

Basil
16-07-2008, 03:31 PM
[in response to deleted duplicate advertising post - mod]

I didn't see the book on spam. Or how to copy and paste inventory.

CameronD
16-07-2008, 09:34 PM
I've only being playing for 3 years, before then I just knew the moves.

I started with the lectures in the chessmaster series, which I consider professionally done and amazing. After 3 months, I played my first tournament and had a rating of 1100 without any opening book and minimal endgame knowledge.

Opening...

I recommend the London system. Its hard to stuff up and concentrates on just getting your pieces out. The opening will teach you about the pieces and middlegame/longterm plans as tactics are of lesser importance.

endgame...

I've recenty gone through silmans complete endgame and think this is good. It is explained clearly and simply, and divided into rating groups to not overstreach the student.

tactics...

I find Attacking chess by Waitzkin very good for casual players. They will learn a lot without spending a month on a chapter.

Sheroff
22-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Best books for social players? Anything by CJS Purdy, also Chernev's Most Instructive Chess Games ever Played is a great one. Also a book called Simple Chess (by Stean I think!?)

Books that are big on solid principles rather than endless reams of variations are more pleasurable to get through.

My favourite chess book as a teenager was actually "The Middle Years of Paul Keres". Now there was a man who could play the game...

Saragossa
23-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Never underestimate the power of huge reference books for instance. Modern chess opnings or any reference book on openings. That huge middlegame book by reuben fine but not the revised edition and the huge endgame book by fine but the revised edition and you are set for life!

nobi
31-03-2010, 07:32 PM
To find good chess books read this:

Good Chess Books (http://www.expert-chess-strategies.com/chess-books.html)

BrendanNorman
02-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Opening...

I recommend the London system. Its hard to stuff up and concentrates on just getting your pieces out. The opening will teach you about the pieces and middlegame/longterm plans as tactics are of lesser importance.

The London System will stifle the growth of anybody hoping to improve their chess as it relies on repeating the same old move order game after game and therefore not forcing a player to be creative.

"Tactics being of lesser importance" means that a player is avoiding the HUGE fundamental importance of building a strong tactical feel and the need to learn all the patterns and motifs.

There are numerous systems black can adopt against such passive systems to gain early equality also.

I would recommend for anybody under 1600 to play ONLY 1.e4 as white until their level reaches a high enough level to play "positional" openings as I have seen (and faced many players) who will play such a system HOPING to avoid tactics and they will still lose to a stronger player in 25 moves anyway...a overwhelmingly strong player will create tactics even against such a system and so I think it is best as I said before to come out swinging with 1.e4.
;)

I'd say

1. play 1.e4,e5 and some Giuco Piano/Italian Game/Evans Gambit type stuff as white until a player reaches around 1600, this will teach tactical motifs very quickly and the basic themes all new players need to know.

2. Once at this level learn the sharper lines of the Ruy Lopez and learn the strategic motifs of this opening as well.

3.Once at 1800ish you may wish to switch to 1.d4 and play sharp lines here also...but gaining experience with this order of openings study is bound to give a new player a decent foundation of knowledge behind the white pieces.
:hmm:

Santa
08-11-2011, 01:53 AM
The London System will stifle the growth of anybody hoping to improve their chess as it relies on repeating the same old move order game after game and therefore not forcing a player to be creative.

"Tactics being of lesser importance" means that a player is avoiding the HUGE fundamental importance of building a strong tactical feel and the need to learn all the patterns and motifs.

There are numerous systems black can adopt against such passive systems to gain early equality also.

I would recommend for anybody under 1600 to play ONLY 1.e4 as white until their level reaches a high enough level to play "positional" openings as I have seen (and faced many players) who will play such a system HOPING to avoid tactics and they will still lose to a stronger player in 25 moves anyway...a overwhelmingly strong player will create tactics even against such a system and so I think it is best as I said before to come out swinging with 1.e4.
;)

I'd say

1. play 1.e4,e5 and some Giuco Piano/Italian Game/Evans Gambit type stuff as white until a player reaches around 1600, this will teach tactical motifs very quickly and the basic themes all new players need to know.

2. Once at this level learn the sharper lines of the Ruy Lopez and learn the strategic motifs of this opening as well.

3.Once at 1800ish you may wish to switch to 1.d4 and play sharp lines here also...but gaining experience with this order of openings study is bound to give a new player a decent foundation of knowledge behind the white pieces.
:hmm:

The best books in my library from my youth are by Leonard Barden He recommends relative beginners stick to 1 e4 too, and has lines in Scotch/Goring gambits. a line in QGD (everything has that!) as a recommendation for Black, some info on the mazy Morrah (which gave me a win against Patricia Collins, then rate 300 or so above me), the KIA and Grand Prix attack, then quite new.

He recommends new players play mostly gambits for the first year or two. I've never been game to play a Kings Gambit in a serious game though!

I used to play 1 ... e5 to 1 e4, and found my way into a few Marshall attacks. They're good fun.
Purdy's Chess Made Easy is a Penguin these days.

There are, in my estimation, better books on tactics than Reinfeld's. His book comprises 1000 bare diagrams, with the solutions in the back. One of my preferred books in "Improve your Chess Tactics" by Yakov Neischadt. It has lessons and tests, and one can easily enjoy it on public transport. And the lessons have given me a few wins in casual games.

My favourite book though is No Regrets. It's special because of the after-market markup.

There's no hurry to switch to playing 1 d4, Fisher never did!

machomortensen
08-11-2011, 06:15 AM
Why not TIGERCHESS by Simon Webb??

It's one of those (few) chessbooks who is read from the start till the end.

[Five stars from Copenhagen]

Rincewind
08-11-2011, 10:53 AM

Yep, Chess for Tigers is a modern classic.

Igor_Goldenberg
08-11-2011, 03:59 PM

Be careful, you might be banned for posting it!!

ER
08-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Be careful, you might be banned for posting it!!
Why? Is Simon Webb another Axiom's hydra? :lol: