PDA

View Full Version : Namilov tablebases

Garvinator
28-08-2005, 08:30 PM
Can someone help me install these tablebases into my fritz tablebases?

I have looked at chessbase and followed their instructions, but for some reason I cant get them to work properly.

I am doing it from ftp- here is the address I am getting them from, I am starting from 3 man.

ftp://ftp.uib.no/pub/chesslib/3-man/

Help appreciated.

arosar
29-08-2005, 12:38 PM
First I'm pretty sure it's Nalimov.

Second, could you step us through exactly what you've done? Do you see any error messages? And where's the Chessbase link/instructions?

Cheers,

AR

Bill Gletsos
29-08-2005, 12:43 PM
The file names of the files at that ftp site do not appear to be the same as the file names of the files when loaded from the Fritz CD or the DVD Endgame Turbo 2 DVD set.

Garvinator
29-08-2005, 10:53 PM
I think I have been able to locate the 3 man tablebases from the fritz 8 cd. I put in a King, Pawn and opposing king position and get the tablebase generated mate in moves.

Are four and five man tb's located on the fritz 8 cd? If so, where are they?

Kerry Stead
30-08-2005, 01:01 AM
I think I have been able to locate the 3 man tablebases from the fritz 8 cd. I put in a King, Pawn and opposing king position and get the tablebase generated mate in moves.

Are four and five man tb's located on the fritz 8 cd? If so, where are they?
Garvin, do you really need 3 man tablebases? 4 & 5 piece I can understand & I know there's bits of a 6 man tablebase around, if not already complete ...
However the important thing in my opinion is understanding the ideas and methods for playing such positions, rather than simply being able to bash out the mate in 16 that a particular position might be.

Rincewind
30-08-2005, 07:45 AM
Garvin, do you really need 3 man tablebases? 4 & 5 piece I can understand & I know there's bits of a 6 man tablebase around, if not already complete ...
However the important thing in my opinion is understanding the ideas and methods for playing such positions, rather than simply being able to bash out the mate in 16 that a particular position might be.

I agree 100% Kerry. However, the tablebases (even occasionally 3 man ones) can be useful. I use them when doing my own post mortem of games played. A chess engine is good for spotting missed tactics in the opening/middle game and the endgame databases are good for quickly picking up inaccuracies in the endgame when you get down to a 'databasable' number of pieces.

When an error is picked up, it is important to understand why it is an error and study to understand the theory behind that sort of position.

Garvinator
30-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Ok part of the reason i want them is that i use fritz 8 sometimes in the playchess engine room ;) got to give it a challenge once in a while.

I have read an article on chessbase which says that to install the 5 man tables correctly, you need to have the 3 and 4 man tables installed first. Another reason I attempted to install the 3 man tables was to just check that I could actually follow the install directions correctly, just to help on here when giving directions as to whether I was doing things correctly.