PDA

View Full Version : Mac/Wintel flamewar sf My computer hates me

PHAT
19-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Sell it and buy an Apple Mac. Everything works every time. The iMac I have has never crashed in ~ 2000 hrs use with all manner of apps.

skip to my lou
19-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Sell it and buy an Apple Mac. Everything works every time. The iMac I have has never crashed in ~ 2000 hrs use with all manner of apps.

But I can't right click on a Mac.

skip to my lou
19-08-2005, 05:10 PM

I achieved the same thing, without spending thousands.

PHAT
19-08-2005, 06:45 PM
I achieved the same thing, without spending thousands.

If you buy a year old 2nd hand Mac, it is cheaper and better and longer lasting than IBM compats.

Rhubarb
19-08-2005, 07:45 PM
But I can't right click on a Mac.
Too bloody right. I've been working on a Mac at work for the past few months and it's driving me nuts. How the hell can these Mac users possibly go without right click?

skip to my lou
19-08-2005, 08:28 PM
If you buy a year old 2nd hand Mac, it is cheaper and better and longer lasting than IBM compats.

Don't bullshit me please. IT is moving so fast, that even if it lasts long, it will become useless within two or three years; then you have to return to the APPLE shop, only to be confronted by some sales people who want to rip you off.

Mac used to be good, it has turned sh*t, admit it. They concentrate on the graphics too much, and have failed to realise the effect this has on the user experience. While everything looks nice and flashy, it's damn slow; and for a BSD core, that's very, very sad.

I'd rather use shitty RPM OS e.g. RedHat than Mac.

Edit: Not to mention the HARDWARE which is VERY EXPENSIVE must be purchased from APPLE.

skip to my lou
19-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Too bloody right. I've been working on a Mac at work for the past few months and it's driving me nuts. How the hell can these Mac users possibly go without right click?

They made a huge mistake by spending thousands of dollars on a piece of junk; and they don't want to admit it.

Kaitlin
19-08-2005, 09:52 PM

:ponder:... a computer thats better than the operator :P - :( i dont think they seel them here but :(

PHAT
19-08-2005, 10:58 PM

Try designating a few "hot keys".
Right hand = mouse
Left hand has more than "right click", it has F1+ click, F2+click, F3+click ... In fact, this simple multi task function makes "right click only" look positively lame.

skip to my lou
19-08-2005, 11:18 PM
Right hand = mouse
Left hand has more than "right click", it has F1+ click, F2+click, F3+click ... In fact, this simple multi task function makes "right click only" look positively lame.

Why do two things to achieve something that can be done with one thing? I do click; and you do push+click.

Hell, if you want to make key combos, I have one more button to make combos with. Either way, you lose.

PHAT
19-08-2005, 11:25 PM
:ponder:... a computer thats better than the operator :P - :( i dont think they seel them here but :(

"They" seel (sic)[sell] them but :rolleyes:

Kaitlin
19-08-2005, 11:46 PM
Right hand = mouse

:eek: a computer training a human to do tricks :P

Denis_Jessop
20-08-2005, 01:07 PM
Don't bullshit me please. IT is moving so fast, that even if it lasts long, it will become useless within two or three years; then you have to return to the APPLE shop, only to be confronted by some sales people who want to rip you off.

Mac used to be good, it has turned sh*t, admit it. They concentrate on the graphics too much, and have failed to realise the effect this has on the user experience. While everything looks nice and flashy, it's damn slow; and for a BSD core, that's very, very sad.

I'd rather use shitty RPM OS e.g. RedHat than Mac.

Edit: Not to mention the HARDWARE which is VERY EXPENSIVE must be purchased from APPLE.

Really STML for someone who purports to know a lot about IT, your ignorance of Apple computers is pretty profound.

To say that a computer is useless after two or three years is nonsense as a general proposition - it depends what you use it for. I am running a 6-year old iMac on OS 9.2 and it is perfectly adequate for my present needs which are mainly word processing, e-mail and web searches. Moreover as Matt has said the machine has given trouble free service for the whole time. If I was heavily into graphics or the latest power-hungry games programmes I might be looking for a new machine but not yet.

Then you trot out the age-old, and shonky, arguments about expense and availability, apparently ignorant of the most recent Apple releases, their pricing, and the fact that they are sold by Apple Centres not owned by Apple and by David Jones and Domayne, at least among the department stores.

I mention that I also run a Toshiba laptop on Windows XP. I have no doubt which operating system I prefer and that's without even having tried Mac OS X which is said to be quite an advance on 9.2.

DJ

skip to my lou
20-08-2005, 03:20 PM
Really STML for someone who purports to know a lot about IT, your ignorance of Apple computers is pretty profound.

:wall: what a joke.

To say that a computer is useless after two or three years is nonsense as a general proposition - it depends what you use it for. I am running a 6-year old iMac on OS 9.2 and it is perfectly adequate for my present needs which are mainly word processing, e-mail and web searches. Moreover as Matt has said the machine has given trouble free service for the whole time. If I was heavily into graphics or the latest power-hungry games programmes I might be looking for a new machine but not yet.

Perhaps useless is the wrong word; very out of date is probably right. Three years ago, I was using a Thunderbird 1.2 Ghz w/ 768 MB RAM. My computer to check emails, surf the web, and instant messaging is currently a P4 3.2 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, GA-8KNXP, and it's just able to cope, I'm thinking of upgrading to the Dual Core Dual Opteron CPUs.

In my experience, out of all the people I know, no one has kept a single computer more than 3 years. I haven't kept a computer longer than 2 years, and if I have, it has probably ended up as a router or a dev server or something like that.

It also entirely depends at what speed you are comfortable working with; and with most people, slower is worse.

Then you trot out the age-old, and shonky, arguments about expense and availability, apparently ignorant of the most recent Apple releases, their pricing, and the fact that they are sold by Apple Centres not owned by Apple and by David Jones and Domayne, at least among the department stores.

APPLE hardware IS expensive; there is no doubt about it. No matter where you buy from, you're getting RIPPED OFF.

I can build a Dual Core Dual Opteron and get 4x better performance than an an APPLE server of the same price.

I mention that I also run a Toshiba laptop on Windows XP. I have no doubt which operating system I prefer and that's without even having tried Mac OS X which is said to be quite an advance on 9.2.

DJ

Well that's your personal opinion; it's a great OS in terms of stability (obv. because it's built on BSD), but it lacks severely in usability and common sense. Simply the amount of graphics and such is so high; it just eats up hardware resources, which is very expensive.

I have used Windows, OS X, XFCE, Fluxbox, Gnome, KDE, and more, and I find Apple to be annoying these days.

skip to my lou
20-08-2005, 03:41 PM
While I don't agree with everything said on http://www.mac-sucks.com/ most of it is quite funny.

PHAT
20-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Perhaps useless is the wrong word; very out of date is probably right. Three years ago, I was using a Thunderbird 1.2 Ghz w/ 768 MB RAM. My computer to check emails, surf the web, and instant messaging is currently a P4 3.2 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, GA-8KNXP, and it's just able to cope ...

That's like totally weird. Cos even my old iMac from the previous century has only 20% of those speeds and 5% of that RAM and it still blazes along with broadband. I have no psychological need for penis enlargement hardware.

In my experience, out of all the people I know, no one has kept a single computer more than 3 years. Well isn't this your lucky week. You have just met two that have geriatric puters who are happy with them - and they are both Macs. :hand:

APPLE hardware IS expensive; there is no doubt about it. No matter where you buy from, you're getting RIPPED OFF.

In this time of plenty, and when your dollar buys so much, why would anyone want to buy lower quality because it is cheeper? Mac has a brand name that it must protect by always putting quality ahead of gaining market share by racing other computers makers to the bottom of the price/quality curve.

You can shop at David Jones or you can shop at K-Mart. R U a DJs shopper or a K-Mart shopper. :P

I can build a Dual Core Dual Opteron and get 4x better performance than an an APPLE server of the same price. And you still can't score a girl friend :lol:

skip to my lou
20-08-2005, 04:39 PM
That's like totally weird. Cos even my old iMac from the previous century has only 20% of those speeds and 5% of that RAM and it still blazes along with broadband. I have no psychological need for penis enlargement hardware.

Your brain thinks at slower speeds than a Mac, hence the Mac seems really fast.

Not to mention; I often use FreeBSD, which is what OS X is built on, without all the graphical enhancement bullshit.

In this time of plenty, and when your dollar buys so much, why would anyone want to buy lower quality because it is cheeper? Mac has a brand name that it must protect by always putting quality ahead of gaining market share by racing other computers makers to the bottom of the price/quality curve.

You can shop at David Jones or you can shop at K-Mart. R U a DJs shopper or a K-Mart shopper. :P

How is non Mac lower quality? All Apple do is buy in bulk from those who produce computer parts (e.g. IBM, Intel (recent), ATI) etc, and put their apple logo on it; and it's suddenly higher quality and more expensive. What a joke.

And you still can't score a girl friend :lol:

Yeah, because I was seen with you.

PHAT
21-08-2005, 09:48 AM
What happened to my flame on STML? Whatwas wrong with it/ I honestly do not know. Could the irresponsible immoderator please give an answer.

PHAT
22-08-2005, 04:10 PM
Waiting ....