PDA

View Full Version : Discusting

PHAT
20-08-2005, 12:25 AM
...DISGUSTING (http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2587) ...

firegoat7
20-08-2005, 11:20 AM
Unbelievable

arosar
20-08-2005, 11:34 AM
....but (http://closetgrandmaster.blogspot.com/2005/08/grandmaster-gangsters.html).

AR

Spiny Norman
20-08-2005, 03:44 PM
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger. If he does get stronger (from his current 2200+ rating) then one day he may get his revenge.

antichrist
20-08-2005, 05:00 PM
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger. If he does get stronger (from his current 2200+ rating) then one day he may get his revenge.

so if you get in a blue with a guy who is a abattoir bikie and he amputates your leg off right outside the emergency section of RPAH, you survive, does it make you stronger?

Rincewind
20-08-2005, 05:16 PM
so if you get in a blue with a guy who is a abattoir bikie and he amputates your leg off right outside the emergency section of RPAH, you survive, does it make you stronger?

I think you are straying off the topic here. If you have a problem with the phrase I suggest you take it up with Friedrich Nietzsche. :rolleyes:

jay_vee
20-08-2005, 06:20 PM
Actually, I find it hardly surprising that the 2600 rated guys drew amongst each other and tried to beat the one 2200 rated kid. Even if he had a good tournament, what kind of super-gm would concede a quick draw to someone rated 2200? Not likely a conspiracy.

antichrist
20-08-2005, 08:07 PM
I think you are straying off the topic here. If you have a problem with the phrase I suggest you take it up with Friedrich Nietzsche. :rolleyes:

Nietzche has rolled over in his grave and recanted!

Garvinator
24-08-2005, 06:28 PM
Seems to be about the only thread closely relating to my next comments.

Quite a lot of people reckon that chess tournaments being run in knockout format is just like a lottery. Well it seems that the fide president agrees recently since he decided to give an entry ticket for free to a person who didnt qualify on merit.

Of course those who have been following will know about the qualifying procedure for the fide world cup and recently related stories.

Story is here: http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2596

pballard
25-08-2005, 11:18 AM
Seems to be about the only thread closely relating to my next comments.

Quite a lot of people reckon that chess tournaments being run in knockout format is just like a lottery. Well it seems that the fide president agrees recently since he decided to give an entry ticket for free to a person who didnt qualify on merit.

Of course those who have been following will know about the qualifying procedure for the fide world cup and recently related stories.

Story is here: http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2596

Out of 128 starters, 90 qualify from zonals, 20 qualify by rating, 8 qualify by other tournaments (previous FIDE championship etc), and the other 10 are "FIDE President nominees" or "organiser nominees" - like a wildcard entrant to Wimbledon. IMO, out of 128 spots, 10 for wildcards is reasonable.

Should Needleman get one of those wildcard spots? Maybe. Though I'd prefer it if they waited until all qualifying tournaments were run.

Ian Rout
25-08-2005, 11:53 AM
What is "discusting" exactly? That people make up "facts" or that other people swallow them?

Garvinator
25-08-2005, 01:47 PM
Out of 128 starters, 90 qualify from zonals, 20 qualify by rating, 8 qualify by other tournaments (previous FIDE championship etc), and the other 10 are "FIDE President nominees" or "organiser nominees" - like a wildcard entrant to Wimbledon. IMO, out of 128 spots, 10 for wildcards is reasonable.

Should Needleman get one of those wildcard spots? Maybe. Though I'd prefer it if they waited until all qualifying tournaments were run.
not sure why it has to be this way at all actually for the fide world cup(was the semi open libyan chess championships ;) )

Since it is a 128 player knockout, why not just invite the top 128, then as each one declines, you invite player 129, 130 and so on till you have 128 acceptance.

I suppose then israelis would have to be invited on merit (fide doesnt have a good track record for that:eek: )

Since it is that way, yes the president should definetely wait till all the qualifiers are over. I would imagine then one of the qualifications spots should go to top players who didnt qualify for some reason.

Trent Parker
25-08-2005, 02:25 PM
What is "discusting" exactly? That people make up "facts" or that other people swallow them?

"Discusting": cross between discussing and disgusting? :lol:

PHAT
25-08-2005, 03:11 PM

Touche :lol: