PDA

View Full Version : My computer hates me

Kaitlin
18-08-2005, 08:38 AM
Is there any help for me....
I broke my computer..well i dint brake it first it borke itself but..
First like on the weekend it came up with "Annclist" error I wrote it done but everything seemed ok... but then on Monday, maybe Monday it was whenever I wrote the long pm to Mischa that i dint send cause i got disconnected...
anywho then it came up with.. "KB981711 has casue an error in MMSYSTEM"... and it said to restart and it might fix it ..but it dint and what it did was make all the writting really big..but everything still worked..
..then I thought i would do the 'system restore' to see if that worked...but
it seem to stop half way though so like after more than half an hour I restarted the computer :( (I think that was a silly thing to do.. I should have just left it all nite and seen if it had finished in the morning)

..ok so then when i tried to turn my computer on... it would like do the start bit but just black and white stuff not Windows..oh and I had Windows Me one.... so the very first black and white stuff would sumtn emulation... and then just restart... so it kept restarting :(.. and not getting to the windows bit.

..then i got the cd disks out..OPTIMA recovery CD-ROM that come with it... and it started and 4 options come up so it read the cd... but when i click on an option..it come up cant find the cd in the drive :(.. but it read it casue it come up wif the options... I got grumpy but i was clarm... then I put in Norton Internet security one and it started and clicker through everything and said no viruses.... oh maybe then its I did the systems recovery..no that was before maybe..

..anywho I couldnt find our backup start disk the floppy one... so I ask at Tafe and one guy in my class said I could use his Windows XP one if I play golf wif him on the weekend..

..soI got it and put it in and it like wanted to install... I just wanted my Windows Me back but it would do anything else so i clicked yes.. and it said it might del my My doucuments folder... but it dint, but it del all my e-mails i saved and my adress book... so probably Mums ones too and probably her saved emails... but it made the computer work....

but now it says you have to do an 'activation' thing in 30 days :eek: but they would have already installed it on thier computer so what will happen if i tell it to do the activation????

and if that like is suxy to do, how much is Windows Me or Window XP cost cause I could save my lunch money and other money but I only got 30 days..else Mum wiiil find out

..oh when i told it it could install i told it to be in WINDOXP folder and the other folder WINDOWS is still there so maybe windows ME is still there but maybe system restore del some of it :(

Spiny Norman
18-08-2005, 09:06 AM
Kaitlin, I've read that through carefully twice. I think I've twigged to what's happening. Are you having a computer problem? :eek:

WhiteElephant
18-08-2005, 11:21 AM
... so I ask at Tafe and one guy in my class said I could use his Windows XP one if I play golf wif him on the weekend.

Haha nice way to get a date :)

Sorry, wish I could help, Kaitlin but my computer hates me too.

antichrist
18-08-2005, 12:40 PM
My computer beats me at chess but is no match in kick-boxing - go for the groin area Kaitlin!

Mischa
18-08-2005, 01:14 PM
Kaitlin....you were writing me a long pm?
I can't wait to find out what you wrote.
I will ask Rincewind if he can help or why not ask Apt?

Rincewind
18-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Kaitlin....you were writing me a long pm?
I can't wait to find out what you wrote.
I will ask Rincewind if he can help or why not ask Apt?

Mischa,

I've read Kaitlin's first post and am not able to assist greatly I feel. I know nothing about Windows Me so I decided to let others offer assistence.

Kaitlin,

I suggest trying apt in IRC. If you have no luck, by all mean contact me. I can be reached via a PM here reasonably rapidly at most times.

Best of luck.

Kaitlin
19-08-2005, 01:34 PM
I found our box of backup floppy disks in the shed... there is like six of them... I dont know what will happen if i put them in so I will wait.

Trent Parker
19-08-2005, 02:57 PM
Hi Kaitlin.

I have Windows Me as well and i have problems with it...... Mine is also an optima.

If you have any more problems message me ......

does the puter just have the little flashing line?

Try Re starting.

When windows comes up and everything is big. Re start with clicking start; shut down and changing the option to restart.

Trent Parker
19-08-2005, 03:00 PM
I don't know if you know this already but there is a known fault in Windows Me where the shutdown sequence does not shut down. There is a upgrade download that is supposed to fix this problem..... Also see if there are any upgrades for your computer at www.windows.com or something like that....

Kaitlin
19-08-2005, 11:47 PM
I travel thorugh space..
;
.but only in circles :P

PHAT
20-08-2005, 12:30 AM
:eek: a computer training a human to do tricks :P

Your being a one click pony must be a personal disappointment.

PHAT
20-08-2005, 12:35 AM
I travel thorugh space..
;
.but only in circles :P

Too much to matter for you? :P

ElevatorEscapee
20-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Kaitlyn, the version of WinXP you installed will "expire" within the 30 day period if you don't register it, (ie, it will stop your computer from working).

So you either need to register it... (which probably won't work if the guy in your TAFE course has already registered it if he has installed it on his computer), or reinstall it 30 days later... (which may mean losing all the stuff you have saved).

Win 98 CDs may be picked up reasonably cheaply (especially if you know someone in the education field, eg a school teacher, as they may be able to obtain a special deal on such software through their educational institution).

I would offer to send you my old Win 98 SE install disk, however, it seems to be in great demand here at the moment. :doh:

PS: Matt, keep saving up your pennies, and someday you might be able to upgrade your Apple to a Commodore 64! :cool:

Rincewind
20-08-2005, 05:07 PM
Thread split into Mac/Wintel flamewar. Although since the new thread had more replies than what remained here then perhaps this is really the split thread. :eek:

Play nice everyone.

Kaitlin
11-09-2005, 09:24 PM
Kaitlin, I've read that through carefully twice. I think I've twigged to what's happening. Are you having a computer problem? :eek:

:cry: yep ..and now I only have six days left to work something to fix it out.
I might become computerless :disapp:... so in case I do, thanks to everyone for their suggestions and stuff. And for all the chess stuff that yous have helped me with too..... if my computer breaks down, I wont be gone forever but it might be awhile. I read some of the sites that tell you all the bad things that will happen to my computer if the activation thing doesnt work and like ElevatorEscapee said it probably won't work. I think I need to uninstall xp and then just cross my fingers that the rescue floppy disks I found in the shed work. If that doesnt work I might tell Mum and see if she will let me get a windows xp one... it seems to work ok (except for that pop up window that keeps reminding me how many days)... or maybe now that the computers working now I can get the optima cd disk and put that in now... I wonder what that would do now window xp is on here now too :ponder:.

Spiny Norman
12-09-2005, 07:19 AM
:cry: yep ..and now I only have six days left to work something to fix it out.
Kaitin, if you email me (stephen.frost@croydonchess.com) I will send you back some info that may assist. Can't do so here because the Microsoft police may be watching.

Rincewind
12-09-2005, 08:02 AM
Can't do so here because the Microsoft police may be watching.

'Ello, 'ello, 'ello. What's all this then? You're nicked!

Spiny Norman
12-09-2005, 10:32 AM
'Ello, 'ello, 'ello. What's all this then? You're nicked!
Not me guv ... clean as a whistle!

Kaitlin
12-09-2005, 04:23 PM
Heres an update of what ive worked out :classic:

1. I can put the optima disk in... but if i put it in and reboot and still says..like the third option.. do you want 'to recover the op system'.. but then if i click ok.. it then says it cant find the disk in the drive (but its in there cause it read it for the options..but maybe the computer people didnt look to see what drive it would go to to do it and its looking in a differnt drive letter) - so that still doesnt work.

2. But i can go to 'run' e:... and the contents of the optima cd come up. An one is 'engwinme.pak' <- that looks like the one I need, but it doesnt do anything. So i looked up pak extentions on the net and it says you can get a download to open it which i did get but havent looked at yet. There is 2 other files on the optima cd (and like 5 other folders) Bootcat.bin and bootimg.bin <- maybe one of them will open the pak file?

3. I put in the first disk of my recovery floppys and it did a little test and said that there was a partition problem but i think i made them recover floppys with Nortons Antivirus cause that is what i wrote on the second one of them..and there is like six of them but the first one seem to work so maybe they have windows 'me' programs on them too.

I just havent been game to do any of them yet :ponder:

Spiny Norman
12-09-2005, 04:49 PM
Kaitlin, you should have an email from me now ... shhhhh! :shhh:

Kaitlin
15-09-2005, 06:04 PM
Ive been a :pirate: pirate for 28 days :classic:.. but im allowed to be, just you cant be one for more than 30 days...... anywho I think I worked out a solution and :doh: its so simple now Ive worked it out.... if it works - still im a bit nervous thats why i havent tried it, but i will tomorrow I promise cause I will have to then.

And Ive learned lots of computer stuff :)

Guess wat... I got two cd rom drives. One is DVD cd rom and one is cd rom r/w. Well I never used the cd rom r/w cause the door wouldnt open when i press the button and like ages ago it went sqazzy and went little bit open and then close over and over.. but it stoped that and then wouldnt really open. DVD cd rom was named E: and r/w cd rom was named D:. The optima disk (for sale only with a new computer.. window Me recovery) must have on it to look at the D: drive even though it was in the E:. If you go to control panel/admin something/computer manager... then in disk managerment you can change the letters of the dirves... it took me ages to try it but i did and it worked, oh you have to right click it to get options. So I did it and put the optima disk in the dvd drive (now d:) and it seem to go back and find it ok... so I think I will try that :classic:. Oh and I typed in a search 'drive door wont open' and some sites come up... one says it could be a trojan :( and one said to pull out the grey power cable but when i opened up the computer my power one looked to be the red yellow one.. but when i pulled it out and put it back in it didnt fix it (and yes i had the computer unpluged and everything from the wall).. but I can have a look at that door not opening latter, tommorrow I will do the optima recovery windows ME op system (with fingers crossed).

I got your email Frosty and like we worked out the dirves letters look like they might fix it.. I will send you a email on why and how it only lets you be a pirate for 30 days, but if I hadnt been a pirate I wouldnt have been able to fix anything cause I had no operating system.

Duff McKagan
15-09-2005, 08:09 PM
Hey Kaitlin,
Here is what I would do:
Before you do major surgery, use a virus scanner (f-secure or kaspersky are the two best ones, other scanners are like viruses when they slow down your computer). Get it to kill off any viruses or trojans you might have.
The other thing you will need to get before surgery is a firewall. I recommend Zone Alarm... simple and easy to use. Download these after doing a google search and practice using them while you still have time left as a pirate :) Burn these essential programs and any settings, pictures, mp3s, etc on a CD before you do surgery.
Then if you turn the computer off and put the windows xp cd in the drive and switch the computer back on, it will come up with something like windows setup in a blue screen. Get it to format the partition again and use NTFS drive system (best for xp).
When you reinstall windows you'll get another 30 days to sort something out :P
I recommend installing windows xp because windows updates are still available for this version, and your optima drivers are probably included in the installation. When you finish installation, then install zone alarm and the virus scanner. Then go to www.windowsupdate.com or click the windows update icon on the start menu, it will take you there.
Set it to automatically download updates and install (i think it gets you to set a time... so set the time to be the next hour on your clock). This will work even if you don't have a serial code for xp yet.
After everything is updated (might take a few hours) reinstall stuff from the cd like your mp3s or whatever.
Then I would download TuneUp Utilities 2004 and use that program to set up xp how YOU want it, not like how Bill Gates wants it... this can speed up your computer a lot! After an xp install, computers are about as slow as people signing up for chess competitions in NSW :)
Then come back on here if you still don't have a serial code for xp... there are ways around this ;)
Good luck!

Trent Parker
16-09-2005, 11:18 PM
Avg free edition is good.

arosar
22-09-2005, 07:15 PM
Customer: I can't get on the Internet.
Tech support: Are you sure you used the right password?
Customer: Yes, I'm sure. I saw my colleague do it.
Tech support: Can you tell me what the password was?
Customer: Five stars.

AR

nzgrandmaster
22-11-2005, 09:24 AM
I had trouble with my laptop recently,it kept crashing too.My problem was dirt & fluff around the fan which caused overheating.I blocked over the other vents and got vacuum cleaner over open vent,then did all vents the same way(only 4) now works fine.This I would do 1st before checking for viruses,worms etc.

Kaitlin
23-11-2005, 05:22 PM
You can buy stuff in a can - I forget wat its called but its in a yellow can and its pressurized air but its not air its hydrosumtn and when you use it the can gets really really really cold cold - its speacial air for cleaning computers, mines not a laptop so I could take the side off and do it and there was like heaps of fluff especially around the little fan thats on the video card - anyways you can get the stuff from Big W in the computer section but im sure other places have it - its in a yellow can.