PDA

View Full Version : Queensland Chess Discussion

antichrist
10-08-2005, 08:19 PM
For the first time in living memory a week-end comp (Gold Coast) will only have five rounds - a bit short-changed I would say.

Alan Shore
10-08-2005, 10:49 PM
For the first time in living memory a week-end comp (Gold Coast) will only have five rounds - a bit short-changed I would say.

It's an 'Adults Only' tournament too - but not quite as far as Matt's 'nude chess' idea.

antichrist
18-08-2005, 07:57 AM
Ex Queensland Champ David Lovejoy, has pubilshed his memoirs, titled "Between Dark and Dark", it tells of drugs, fast cars and - gasp! - chess.

A page-length review of is available at "his" newspaper reference below, which every week includes Ian Roger's chess column.

http://echo.net.au/pg.php?issues_id=20_13&pg=15&view=gif

antichrist
19-08-2005, 04:32 PM
Does CAQ also have an exclusion rule - that is if you are a member of another state's association well you cannot be a member, or if you live so many kilometres north or south of the border you cannot be a member?

Because a NSW player going across the board to Gold Coast is expected to cough up $10 every throw.

Garvinator
28-08-2005, 11:13 PM
Does CAQ also have an exclusion rule - that is if you are a member of another state's association well you cannot be a member, or if you live so many kilometres north or south of the border you cannot be a member?

Because a NSW player going across the board to Gold Coast is expected to cough up $10 every throw.
I raised this during the caq council meeting today. The answer is that as you live in nsw and arent within 50kms of the qld border, you cannot join caq. Also as you cannot join caq, you should not be charged the $10 membership fee as you are a member of nswca.

In short antichrist, you cant be a member of caq and you should not be charged the $10.

antichrist
29-08-2005, 08:05 AM
I raised this during the caq council meeting today. The answer is that as you live in nsw and arent within 50kms of the qld border, you cannot join caq. Also as you cannot join caq, you should not be charged the $10 membership fee as you are a member of nswca.

In short antichrist, you cant be a member of caq and you should not be charged the $10.

Fantastic, thanks very much, I will see if there are any refunds necessary.

On the brighter side aren't you lucky.

Garvinator
29-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Fantastic, thanks very much, I will see if there are any refunds necessary.

On the brighter side aren't you lucky.
if you do believe that you are entitled to a refund of sorts, send an email to the secretary and we will see what we can do. Which can mean speaking to the tournament organiser to start with.

antichrist
29-08-2005, 12:38 PM
if you do believe that you are entitled to a refund of sorts, send an email to the secretary and we will see what we can do. Which can mean speaking to the tournament organiser to start with.

No I don't care about it. But I know GC have definitely missed out on entrants because interstate players did not know of this rule. I wonder if there 5 rounder was a success?

Garvinator
29-08-2005, 12:43 PM
No I don't care about it. But I know GC have definitely missed out on entrants because interstate players did not know of this rule. I wonder if there 5 rounder was a success?
i dont think so. GC had the veterans and disabled tournament on the same day. But due to lack of entries in both tournaments, it was decided to play them as one tournament.

21 entries in total.

Trent Parker
29-08-2005, 02:45 PM
what classifies as disabled? :P

antichrist
29-08-2005, 02:50 PM
i dont think so. GC had the veterans and disabled tournament on the same day. But due to lack of entries in both tournaments, it was decided to play them as one tournament.

21 entries in total.
I thought instead of making it an adult comp it should have been one with a minimum rating instead - not in hindsight.