PDA

View Full Version : Should Mods Reply

PHAT
09-08-2005, 03:06 PM
I sent a formal complaint to the mods Nearly two days ago. How long should it take for them to at the very least acknowledge that I made the complaint?

The complaint was:

"Dear Moderaters,

I am writing to inform you that ...

I ask that you take one of two actions.
1. Direct him to ..., or
2. ... explaining to him that ...

Please inform me of the actions you intend to take.

Yours sincerely
Matthew Sweeney"

Am I asking for too much when I ask for a reply to a real grevence?

Garvinator
09-08-2005, 04:40 PM
Interesting this thread comes up now,

A couple of days ago I used the bad post function to report what I believed to be a major infraction of the moderation standards set on here.

Since then I have not seen any action taken, nor a reply from any moderator about any action they may/may not take.

antichrist
09-08-2005, 07:03 PM
If you look in the shoutbox someone got one within one minute - beat that.

arosar
09-08-2005, 07:06 PM
The mods, probably Bill Gletsos, protect their mates.

AR

Kevin Bonham
09-08-2005, 11:31 PM
Matthew - we are not obliged to dignify every beatup shovelled our way with a response, but since you insist, the answer to your question is either "none whatsoever" or "laugh at you".

Garvin - some action was taken to the extent that the post which you complained of was one of many from that thread split to a flamewar thread in the non-chess section. However while what you refer to is normally an issue we take very seriously, in this case I decided to let it go in the absence of any evidence that the poster transgressed against cared about it. If he complains the material will be deleted and the poster warned.

Garvinator
09-08-2005, 11:40 PM
If he complains the material will be deleted and the poster warned.
the poster says he wont be back, so it is a non issue now unless he returns ;)

Kevin Bonham
09-08-2005, 11:52 PM
the poster says he wont be back, so it is a non issue now unless he returns ;)

Hmm. I trust he didn't let the hinged entrance structure contact his anatomy while he was exiting the premises. :whistle: There's not too many I'd say this of but that's one I won't be missing.

PHAT
10-08-2005, 12:37 AM
Matthew - we are not obliged to dignify every beatup shovelled our way with a response, but since you insist, the answer to your question is either "none whatsoever" or "laugh at you".

While the cut and thrust of BB debate allows for ignoring this or that, a complaint made privately, and in good faith, ought to be treated differently. A private response of some kind is warranted. Just because it is Matthew Sweeney who made the complaint, it does not mean that you should ignore it. (Prostitutes too, can be raped.)

When I make a real effort to clean up a messy fracas, I would have thought that the mods would like to help improve the environment here. Instead, you appear to be saying that unilateral harrasement is acceptable. Stop Press: It is not acceptable. Harrasment is something that is not permitted on this BB - except where both perties are accepting of it. I am asking you to act on the matter, because, I am not accepting it. If, as appears to be the case, the mods do not see a problem, common curtacy would suggest that you at least respond, giving some reason/explaination as to your decission.

I await your response.

PHAT
10-08-2005, 12:43 AM
Since then I have not seen any action taken, nor a reply from any moderator about any action they may/may not take.

Lazy biased bastards with one key - the delete key.

Kevin Bonham
10-08-2005, 01:54 AM
While the cut and thrust of BB debate allows for ignoring this or that, a complaint made privately, and in good faith, ought to be treated differently. A private response of some kind is warranted. Just because it is Matthew Sweeney who made the complaint, it does not mean that you should ignore it. (Prostitutes too, can be raped.)

Your complaint was not in good faith but was an obvious beatup, ditto for your post which I am now wasting not very much time responding to.

Your claims of harassment were nonsense and showed not the slightest understanding of the concept. If you seriously believe you are being harassed, seek professional help. Common courtesy suggests treating you with considerably more contempt than I am doing in this post.

antichrist
10-08-2005, 02:08 AM
Your complaint was not in good faith but was an obvious beatup, ditto for your post which I am now wasting not very much time responding to.

Your claims of harassment were nonsense and showed not the slightest understanding of the concept. If you seriously believe you are being harassed, seek professional help. Common courtesy suggests treating you with considerably more contempt than I am doing in this post.

I thought his complaint equalled that of the Iraqi Information minister saying they were winning whilst they were being thrashed in the background of the TV camera interviewing him - half sorry Matt

PHAT
10-08-2005, 02:26 AM

It was in good faith.

Your claims of harassment were nonsense and showed not the slightest understanding of the concept.

I honestly consider it harrasment. If I feel harrassed then I am harrased, regardless of you opinion.

If you seriously believe you are being harassed, seek professional help. Common courtesy suggests treating you with considerably more contempt than I am doing in this post.

A moderator ought not be citing their contempt for a poster as a reason for not following the BB policy on harrasment. I ask you to do your job. Uphold the policy without fear or favour.

Kevin Bonham
10-08-2005, 02:34 AM
I honestly consider it harrasment. If I feel harrassed then I am harrased, regardless of you opinion.

Bobby Fischer feels harassed by a global Jewish conspiracy including most people he has ever professionally dealt with. Does this mean he is harassed by those people, regardless of my opinion?

A moderator ought not be citing their contempt for a poster as a reason

Which I didn't.

for not following the BB policy on harrasment.

Which is another false claim.

I ask you to do your job.

Perhaps you would like to make the material that forms the basis for your false claims of harassment public (to the extent permitted by the forum rules) so everyone else can see what a joke this is as well?

Go to the police, they'll laugh at you even louder than I do.

PHAT
10-08-2005, 01:42 PM
Bobby Fischer feels harassed by a global Jewish conspiracy including most people he has ever professionally dealt with. Does this mean he is harassed by those people, regardless of my opinion?
Thanks for putting me on the same stage as BF. And yes there is a conspiarcy to "get him". Enough now of allegories.

Go to the police, they'll laugh at you even louder than I do.

I did not say it was a criminal matter. It is a BB harrasment matter.

Question 1. Is harrasment permitted on this BB?

Question 2. Please define the term "harrasment" for the purposes of behaviour on this BB?

Kevin Bonham
10-08-2005, 04:53 PM
Thanks for putting me on the same stage as BF. And yes there is a conspiarcy to "get him".

Perhaps so, but it does not mean every person he names as harassing him is.

I did not say it was a criminal matter. It is a BB harrasment matter.

Question 1. Is harrasment permitted on this BB?

Question 2. Please define the term "harrasment" for the purposes of behaviour on this BB?

1. No.
2. Criminal harassment.

Other supposed cases will be considered at our discretion but generally to the extent that they are regulated they will be so under other rules - eg persistent pointless and irrelevant flaming of a specific poster from thread to thread is a topicality issue.

Alan Shore
10-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Are the mod guidelines available anywhere? Cos if all the mods are doing is adhering to them, then the problem doesn't lie with the mods but the guidelines themselves.

I kinda liked Kev's guidelines on his dwarf forum. :D

Garvinator
11-08-2005, 12:51 AM
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=2494

Kevin Bonham
11-08-2005, 01:34 AM
Are the mod guidelines available anywhere? Cos if all the mods are doing is adhering to them, then the problem doesn't lie with the mods but the guidelines themselves.

Except there's no problem because Matt's harassment complaint is multiply bogus. He post-reported a post that was harmless, and claimed that he was being harassed by some other things the poster was doing. But he provided no evidence that the other person was even doing these things, let alone that it was happening on the forum, and furthermore the things alleged are not harassment (illegal or otherwise) anyway.

PHAT
11-08-2005, 03:46 PM
[was] other person was even doing these things, let alone that it was happening on the forum, and furthermore the things alleged are not harassment (illegal or otherwise) anyway.

Nevertheless, my complaint has had the effect that I wanted! The person has pulled their head in in recent days. :owned:

firegoat7
11-08-2005, 07:52 PM

Tosser!

Double standards..no...A complete farce yes. While you may not be obliged to answer, it ought to be remembered that being a moderator entails cerrtain responsibilities, not that you obviosly give a toss. Keep on sucking up to the old boys network, it suits your style (lack of it, that is).

Cheers Fg7

Kevin Bonham
12-08-2005, 01:37 AM
While you may not be obliged to answer, it ought to be remembered that being a moderator entails cerrtain responsibilities, not that you obviosly give a toss. Keep on sucking up to the old boys network, it suits your style (lack of it, that is).

A tosser who doesn't give a toss? :hmm:

I too believe that being a moderator entails certain responsibilities. I also believe that it doesn't entail any others.

Kevin Bonham
17-08-2005, 01:37 AM
Hmmmm. Matthew's little outburst about me not staying out of NSW business has just reminded me of something amusingly relevant to this thread. When Matthew was (in name only) the moderator of UCJ I sent him a complaint about a thread on which he had defamed me. He did not respond to it, at all, and now he whinges about not having his own complaint responded to. :hmm:

PHAT
17-08-2005, 02:24 AM
He did not respond to it, at all, and now he whinges about not having his own complaint responded to. :hmm:

You can :hmm: as much as you like. Just remember, hypercrits are usually right. It is unfortunate then, that their words are usually dismissed. :cool:

Kevin Bonham
17-08-2005, 11:38 PM
Just remember, hypercrits are usually right.

If that's a rule then I'll trust you to be the exception.

antichrist
20-08-2005, 01:35 AM
KB, that deleted St G club stinks post of mine deserves to be in classic stirs thread, can it be rescued?

PHAT
20-08-2005, 01:46 AM
If that's a rule then I'll trust you to be the exception.

Nice to know that you think me always right rather than mearly usually right.

Kevin Bonham
20-08-2005, 11:34 PM
Nice to know that you think me always right rather than mearly usually right.

No idea what you are on about.

ursogr8
15-05-2006, 09:52 PM
Interesting this thread comes up now,

A couple of days ago I used the bad post function to report what I believed to be a major infraction of the moderation standards set on here.

I have reported bad posts.
Is it the ADMIN's responsibility to ensure the poster gets a reply?

antichrist
15-05-2006, 10:11 PM
They should at least dribble an answer

Trent Parker
15-05-2006, 10:45 PM

Hey Starter. Message me with the where the posts you have reported are and i'll have a look.

when posts are reported the report goes to the mods email address and not as a PM. Generally by the time i check my email the post has already been dealt with. So it might be handy to pm me as well. And if it is worthy of Moderated then it will be moderated. So if it is not moderated then perhaps the mods feel that there is no need to moderate it.

Basil
16-05-2006, 12:20 AM
Wot he sed. Subject covered.

Kevin Bonham
17-05-2006, 02:07 PM

You made six reports in 86 minutes, all against the same poster, all with no attempt to connect your complaints to the forum rules. :naughty:

It is no-one's responsibility and it is not normal practice for replies to be made even to valid post reports. Stuff either gets changed or it doesn't.

However in the Moderation Decisions thread you will find an answer of sorts to your "reports". Some of the comments made in reply to Matthew on this thread may also be of use.

Basil
17-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Wot he sed as well.

It's this kind of stuff that'd make me want Bonham on my team, even if I were as guilty as hell!

ursogr8
17-05-2006, 02:23 PM
You made six reports in 86 minutes, all against the same poster, all with no attempt to connect your complaints to the forum rules. :naughty:

The reports were made using the guideline at the foot of the bad-post-report box. Since the reports were made, you have introduced a new guideline. Not surprisingly my reports did not match the new guidelne. I will attempt to use mind-reading next time to comply with new rules that you could write after I have reported. :rolleyes:

It is no-one's responsibility and it is not normal practice for replies to be made even to valid post reports. Stuff either gets changed or it doesn't.

Thank you for the response to my question.

However in the Moderation Decisions thread you will find an answer of sorts to your "reports". Some of the comments made in reply to Matthew on this thread may also be of use.

Yes, they are new useful guidelines.

regards
starter

Basil
17-05-2006, 02:26 PM
I can feel myself getting E/M/O/T/I/O/N/A/L again ... Apart from the little esp jibe, that was nearly a Kleenex moment.

Rincewind
17-05-2006, 02:39 PM
The reports were made using the guideline at the foot of the bad-post-report box. Since the reports were made, you have introduced a new guideline. Not surprisingly my reports did not match the new guidelne. I will attempt to use mind-reading next time to comply with new rules that you could write after I have reported. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you could provide the site rule violations as you see them and tie them to the specific site rules (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=2494) as they exist now or were publish at any point of time in the last 3 months. The trouble seems to be that there were many post reports which looked to be reporting of abuse (which did not appear to be crude or vulgar).

Kevin Bonham
17-05-2006, 02:54 PM
starter, you should have read this thread before you posted on it. You would have seen my reply to Matthew on 10-08-2005 from which it would have been clear to you that the claims of "harassment" in five of your six post reports were not valid (either that, or feel free to go to the police if you really think they were illegal). We have been round this block before.

ursogr8
17-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Perhaps you could provide the site rule violations as you see them and tie them to the specific site rules (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=2494) as they exist now or were publish at any point of time in the last 3 months. The trouble seems to be that there were many post reports which looked to be reporting of abuse (which did not appear to be crude or vulgar).

Thanks for the response Baz.

No, crude and vulgar were not reported by me.
Your advice is good, but given that KB has taken a legalistic view of harassment; then it looks like this avenue to improve tone is closed.
I can move on.

regards
starter

ursogr8
17-05-2006, 03:15 PM
starter, you should have read this thread before you posted on it.

Jeez, does Howard, for each thread? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

You would have seen my reply to Matthew on 10-08-2005 from which it would have been clear to you that the claims of "harassment" in five of your six post reports were not valid (either that, or feel free to go to the police if you really think they were illegal). We have been round this block before.

Basil
17-05-2006, 03:19 PM
Uncontrollable sobbing ...
Heart aching with joy ...
Feeling the euphoria of the room ...
Cue American smaltzy music ...
Dorothy clicks heels together ...

A global run on Kleenex pushes the share price up
Employment for all

Basil
17-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Jeez, does Howard, for each thread?