PDA

View Full Version : The Sabbath Day

Rincewind
18-01-2004, 03:34 PM
In a thread no the Doeberl Cup the following thread ensued

where in the bible did god tell you not to play weekend chess?? 8-[

err...church, bible study, medidation over the Easter week....

no time for chess while I am doing all of these

Of course if ChessLover really was a committed Xtian, rather than just being a big hairy thing that lives under a bridge and scares unwary travellers, then he would have been able to point Peanbrain to the 4th commandment "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy."

PS - it is only the Jews, and some christrian groups like the 7 day adventists, that observe the sabbath. Not much of a christian are you, not knowing this?

The fourth commandment to Moses was to remember the Sabbath Day by keeping it holy.

CL made reference to certain Jewish and Christian sects which observe a quite restictive sabbath (i.e. no work, entertaining, etc) however, I think the going to the temple to pray on Sunday (which is in general the Christian sabbath) relates directly to the 4th commandment.

I would be surprised is most christian's didn't think Sunday worship was a part of fulfilling commandment #4. Certainly raised as a catholic, this is how it was sold to me.

CL may have felt slightly by either intentionally or otherwise not "getting" the trolling reference, but was drawing a long bow when suggesting that Shaun's christianism was suspect in linking the 4th Commandment to Sunday worship, as I think (as a committed athiest) that they are directly related. ;)

Comments?

Garvinator
18-01-2004, 10:17 PM
you just made this thread to get it out of the Doebrel cup thread, didnt you barry, im awake to you, stop trying to take my title of quickest to gripe about thread transposition and then making new threads :P :P :P

Cat
18-01-2004, 11:04 PM
The 4th commandment is 'Honour thy father and thy mother, that thou mayest be longlived upon the land which the Lord thy God will give thee'.

You're talking about the third commandment, or this another one of your tricky problems?

My feeling is don't discard traditions wastefully, they may have a purpose that isn't immediately obvious. Don't be a sloppy Christian, take your ecclesiastic exercise and keep your soul in shape!

chesslover
18-01-2004, 11:08 PM
I think essentially all commandments can be stated in two:

1. Love the God with all your soul and might

2. Treat others with love and respect and help them whenever you can

Cat
18-01-2004, 11:17 PM
What about thou shalt not kill, steal, commit adultery or covert thy neigbours' what-nots?

chesslover
18-01-2004, 11:29 PM
What about thou shalt not kill, steal, commit adultery or covert thy neigbours' what-nots?

all comes under the second part about doing good to others.

if you were doing good to others, you would not obviously steal from others, kill others, commit adultry with others or covet the goods of others

Rincewind
19-01-2004, 01:04 AM
The 4th commandment is 'Honour thy father and thy mother, that thou mayest be longlived upon the land which the Lord thy God will give thee'.

You're talking about the third commandment, or this another one of your tricky problems?

My feeling is don't discard traditions wastefully, they may have a purpose that isn't immediately obvious. Don't be a sloppy Christian, take your ecclesiastic exercise and keep your soul in shape!

I think you must be talking about the Catholic 10 commandments.

The Protestant 10 commandments are:

1. No other gods
2. No idols
3. No blaspheming
4. Keep the sabbath
5. Honor your parents
6. No murdering
7. No adultering
8. No stealing
9. No lying
10. No coveting (wives or goods)

The Catholics combine 1 and 2 then all the others move down a peg. 10 is split into 2: #9 is coveting wives and #10 is coveting goods (or asses). Of course in Moses' time wives and asses were basically the same thing.

I think the Protestants wanted to make a big deal about their #2 as this was seen as an area which Rome" needed to improve", in their view.

Although for the purpose of this discussion the number is irrelevant as we are all talking about the same thing as described in Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5. By my reading of these chapters I think the Protestants have a point, no idols is intended to be a commandment in its own right and coveting seems to be worded as a single commandment, not two.

Rincewind
19-01-2004, 01:17 AM

all comes under the second part about doing good to others.

if you were doing good to others, you would not obviously steal from others, kill others, commit adultry with others or covet the goods of others

Why should coveting the goods of other be logically exclusive from being good to others? Of course it can get out of hand. But it may be as simple as seeing something you like, and you then go out an buy it, or you offer money to your neighbour for theirs.

Also honoring your parents (in particular) does seem to be covered in the greatest commandment. Love others as youself, would be to treat your parents as equals with yourself and everyone else.

I don't think these two are covered by the so-called "greatest commandments".

Mind you I don't think Jesus was trying to replace the laws of Moses, etc when he gave this two commandments. The story goes he was asked which was the greatest commandment in the law. He didn't preclude any others.

arosar
19-01-2004, 08:18 AM
I have voted 'yes'. Having been brought up a catholic, this is certainly how I know it anyways.

AR

antichrist
19-01-2004, 11:22 AM
What about thou shalt not commit adultery blah blah

I once met a married woman whose husband was impotent and so she wanted me to "perform". Is this permissible?

arosar
19-01-2004, 11:26 AM
I once met a married woman whose husband was impotent and so she wanted me to "perform". Is this permissible?

Ow f**k! That's 5 years of therapy right there for the rest of us. Too much information Peter. Restrain yourself man.

AR

Bob1
22-01-2004, 07:58 PM
#9 is coveting wives and #10 is coveting goods (or asses). Of course in Moses' time wives and asses were basically the same thing.

In todays society (and given American spelling) this has new meaning!

Bill Gletsos
22-01-2004, 08:09 PM

Talk about dredging the bottom of the gene pool. :rolleyes:

antichrist
23-01-2004, 08:55 AM

Thanks for the laugh on this and other occasions. I just wish MS was here to put icing on the cake. Don't foret those #%**/= Yugoslav clocks.

chesslover
23-01-2004, 04:29 PM

That would truely be hell spawned :P

and yes, that would be adultery

chesslover
23-01-2004, 04:59 PM

very funny yet apt point

maybe the woman was drunk?

me personally if I was a woman would be childless ;)