PDA

View Full Version : Time control

Glenno
08-08-2005, 03:11 PM
I'd be interested to hear others' opinions on which time control they like when playing chess over the board.

Please comment if you want to.

antichrist
08-08-2005, 03:17 PM
I'd be interested to hear others' opinions on which time control they like when playing chess over the board.

Any time as long as it is not increment time - where the slower players get a second chance which they do not deserve and ruins comp timetables, resulting in fewer rounds being played e.g., Brisbane Adult weekend comp coming up only having 5 rounds.

arosar
08-08-2005, 03:28 PM
I only voted 5 because that's what I play frequently. But online, I five and even 3 mins are way too slow. So I prefer 1 min.

AR

EGOR
08-08-2005, 03:41 PM
I much prefer longer time controls, but they are not to practical for weekenders. If it is a long time control I see no need for increments, but at 60 minute or less increments are a good thing and should be used from the start of the game. Increments can be used effectively in weekend tournaments if the organizers allow the proper amount of time between rounds.

antichrist
08-08-2005, 03:48 PM
I much prefer longer time controls, but they are not to practical for weekenders. If it is a long time control I see no need for increments, but at 60 minute or less increments are a good thing and should be used from the start of the game. Increments can be used effectively in weekend tournaments if the organizers allow the proper amount of time between rounds.

Egor, in Sydney Easter Cup, we have seven rounds of 1 hour each, loss on flagfall, break for free lunch on second day, and still time for lightning on evening of second day.

Rincewind
08-08-2005, 03:50 PM
I agree with Amiel and Peter. Allowing thinking time in chess is something that must be discouraged. It tends to make little difference to the quality of the chess they play. ;)

antichrist
08-08-2005, 03:53 PM
I voted for the last option, my last post was in response to Egor's post.

EGOR
08-08-2005, 03:55 PM
Egor, in Sydney Easter Cup, we have seven rounds of 1 hour each, loss on flagfall, break for free lunch on second day, and still time for lightning on evening of second day.
I am hoping to play in the Sydney Easter Cup one year, and I will accept the 1 hour time control happily, I was just giving my opinion. :)

EGOR
08-08-2005, 03:57 PM
I voted for the last option, my last post was in response to Egor's post.
I voted for the last option as well. (Is it dangerous to agree with antichrist? :pray: )

Thunderspirit
08-08-2005, 03:58 PM

Some of the time limits in the poll aren't actually played and so are pointless. 40/90 + g/ 60 is not a time limit that is actually used by any club I know and so has no real value here...

Garvinator
08-08-2005, 04:05 PM
and the australian open/champs etc time control of 90/60 isnt offered either. But anyways, just like any poll, we should just vote on the options given.

Spiny Norman
08-08-2005, 04:12 PM
I like 15 mins/game myself, though I also enjoy 10 mins/game and blitz at 5 mins/game. For rated play, 60+15 or 60+30 would suit me. 90+30 means the games go too late in the evening (I have a son who likes to beat up on the adults, but I have to get him home to bed before midnight or his mum gets upset with me).

Garvinator
08-08-2005, 04:13 PM
I like 15 mins/game myself, though I also enjoy 10 mins/game and blitz at 5 mins/game. For rated play, 60+15 or 60+30 would suit me. 90+30 means the games go too late in the evening (I have a son who likes to beat up on the adults, but I have to get him home to bed before midnight or his mum gets upset with me).
what time does play start at Croydon?

Spiny Norman
08-08-2005, 07:00 PM
what time does play start at Croydon?
Supposed to start at 7:45pm (juniors program finishes at 7:30pm) but sometimes drags on until 8:00pm. So a 90+30 game could easily run well past 11 o'clock (e.g. I played an 80+ move game in a tourney earlier this year). Once games are finished, after-game analysis sessions, results to be entered into the computer, cash counted, books written up, venue packed up, 15 minutes to drive home. Hence the shorter time control. I try to get out the door by 11pm, but last week it was later because Jared's game went right to the end of the time control (e.g. both players with around 5 mins on the clock).

Glenno
11-08-2005, 02:46 PM
The Australian Open Championship time control of 90+60 isn't offered.

Neither is the US Open time control of 40/120 + G/60.

Garvinator
11-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Neither is the US Open time control of 40/120 + G/60.
we arent in usa ;)

Glenno
16-08-2005, 02:06 PM
we arent in usa

I knew that we are not from the USA, but I saw some information about the tournament on the Internet.

pax
16-08-2005, 03:16 PM
Any time as long as it is not increment time - where the slower players get a second chance which they do not deserve and ruins comp timetables, resulting in fewer rounds being played e.g., Brisbane Adult weekend comp coming up only having 5 rounds.

Th fact that Brisbane has 5 round is nothing to do with the increment. It is perfectly possible to have 6 or even 7 rounds in 2 days at 60/10.

Carl Gorka
16-08-2005, 07:19 PM
None of the above...they're all too quick :rolleyes:

Rincewind
16-08-2005, 07:21 PM
None of the above...they're all too quick :rolleyes:

Perhaps the postal rate of 10 moves every 30 days is more your pace. :)

Carl Gorka
16-08-2005, 07:32 PM
Perhaps the postal rate of 10 moves every 30 days is more your pace. :)

I'm used to older time controls eg. 40 in 2 hours, 20 in 1 hour, +G60. And in the league I was playing in while in England, there were still adjournments :eek:

Time controls are what you're used to....I'm finding it hard to adapt to increments over here in Australia :(

Garvinator
16-08-2005, 07:51 PM
I'm used to older time controls eg. 40 in 2 hours, 20 in 1 hour, +G60. And in the league I was playing in while in England, there were still adjournments :eek:

Time controls are what you're used to....I'm finding it hard to adapt to increments over here in Australia :(
There are some events over here in australia that have longer time controls. I see you are from melbourne. Events at mcc or Box Hill might be more your style. They have events of 90 minutes per side plus 30 seconds per move from move one.

Carl Gorka
16-08-2005, 07:57 PM
There are some events over here in australia that have longer time controls. I see you are from melbourne. Events at mcc or Box Hill might be more your style. They have events of 90 minutes per side plus 30 seconds per move from move one.

Cheers for that :)

I'm probably going to play in the next MCC open tournament on Mondays. But at the Aus Masters I had to adjust my style of play because I'd never played with increments before and I found that the 90 minutes runs down quite quickly. It takes a different mindset to my usual one to tell oneself that you've still got plenty of time because you get an extra 30 seconds each move.

No worries, though. I just need some practice :)

Garvinator
16-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Cheers for that :)

I'm probably going to play in the next MCC open tournament on Mondays. But at the Aus Masters I had to adjust my style of play because I'd never played with increments before and I found that the 90 minutes runs down quite quickly. It takes a different mindset to my usual one to tell oneself that you've still got plenty of time because you get an extra 30 seconds each move.

No worries, though. I just need some practice :)
it is very rare to play a tournament in australia with the 40 move time control when the club /organiser has dgt clocks.

Do you have any intentions to play in the australian champs/major/minor etc in Brisbane at the start of next year. Time control is 90/60 so you would still get 40 move in 2 hours 10 minutes.

rob
16-08-2005, 10:10 PM

I too grew up with adjournments in England (36/90), and prefer slower time controls rather than 'Mickey Mouse' time scrambles. 90 mins + 1min per move is my preference - if I can get to an endgame with 10mins left I'm usually not too bad on the clock.

Carl Gorka
16-08-2005, 11:36 PM
it is very rare to play a tournament in australia with the 40 move time control when the club /organiser has dgt clocks.

Do you have any intentions to play in the australian champs/major/minor etc in Brisbane at the start of next year. Time control is 90/60 so you would still get 40 move in 2 hours 10 minutes.

I didn't know that foreigners below master strength were allowed in the Aus Champs. If so, I'd be interested as I'm probably going to be in Queensland around the New Year anyway.

As for the time controls, they're speeding up everywhere and I've just got to stop whinging and get on with it :)

Garvinator
16-08-2005, 11:56 PM
I didn't know that foreigners below master strength were allowed in the Aus Champs. If so, I'd be interested as I'm probably going to be in Queensland around the New Year anyway.
There not, I didnt know your rating at the time of posting that.
You could play in the major and be close to one of the top seeds.

Carl Gorka
17-08-2005, 07:22 AM
There not, I didnt know your rating at the time of posting that.
You could play in the major and be close to one of the top seeds.

What's the rating limit of the Major? I should be about 2180 in the October rating list

Rincewind
17-08-2005, 10:00 AM
What's the rating limit of the Major? I should be about 2180 in the October rating list

Garvinator
17-08-2005, 02:09 PM
If you played 9 acf rated players in the australian masters then you most likely will get an acf rating. I think your current fide rating is used as your starting rating. Also you would have played in a couple of other tournaments by December 1st, so it will be your acf rating that will be used for the Australian Championship cut off of 2150 ACF.

Carl Gorka
17-08-2005, 05:47 PM
If you played 9 acf rated players in the australian masters then you most likely will get an acf rating. I think your current fide rating is used as your starting rating. Also you would have played in a couple of other tournaments by December 1st, so it will be your acf rating that will be used for the Australian Championship cut off of 2150 ACF.

Thanks Rincewind and ggray:)

I just picked up an entry form today, and won't be able to make the Aus Ch anyway. I thought it started just after the New Year, but I'll be in Sydney for the first 4 rounds, at least. I'll try to look in towards the end though :)

Also can't make the Victorian Champs :(

So I'll almost definitely be playing in the Melbourne CC Open :D

Glenno
24-08-2005, 02:36 PM
The time control of 90+30 was used for the 2005 Malaysian Open.

Garvinator
24-08-2005, 02:59 PM
The time control of 90+30 was used for the 2005 Malaysian Open.
The time control of 90+30 works well for most tournaments that have quite a bit of time to play each round. I am mystified though why tournaments that have only one round per day would use the 90/30 time control.

They could use a longer time control than that ie 80/60 or with a second time bank and/instead of an increment.