PDA

View Full Version : Can't get my Chessbase search working?

b1_
24-07-2005, 11:08 PM
I'm having difficulty getting my chessbase search working. I've annotated a bunch of my own games and then tried to do a position search in Chessbase, but so far I've only got the "no games found" message. Even if I enter the exact position from one of my games and then search for it, nothing. Obviously I'm doing something wrong. Is there anyone here who uses chessbase and could help me out? Could you list what the steps are to get this feature working.

Cheers

McTaggart
30-07-2005, 12:19 AM
I have the same trouble too, did you get an answer?

boardumb
30-07-2005, 11:04 PM
The below was performed on Chessbase light, I don't know what (if anything) has changed in newer versions.

1. Open Chessbase
2. Open Database to search
3. Start new game and make moves/setup position
4. Select Search Games -> Position -> Get board

Works for me.

b1_
01-08-2005, 01:24 AM
Thanks Boardumb, I think I've got it soughted now.

If you want to search in Chessbase you first must create a Reference Database. (Just pick a database, or make a new one -> right click it -> properties -> tick box "Reference database" -> copy all your other databases into this one [this database should be your big mumma, with all your games copied into it].)

If you don't have a Reference Database you should still be able to search individual database by selecting them in the database window and hitting ctrl F to bring up the search mask ->position -> get board (will set up position on currently opened board) -> then search.

I think the problem I was having is that I was searching for a position (Slav Defence) that I only had in a variation (in a study of the classical Queens Pawn opening 1.d4 d5) WITHOUT checking the box in the search mask -> position -> "include lines in search", which activates variation searches (variation searching is new to Chessbase 8 by the way, see this link for an explanation: http://www.chessbase.com/support/support.asp?pid=127). However, this variation search feature appears to be broken or glitchy. When I do a search for a variation the game the variation is in does come up, but when double clicking that game it does not jump directly to the position. Instead it jumps to a position somewhere further down, way off the actual variation, but still in the right game? I'm stumped. Is anyone else having this problem in Chessbase 8? Anyone use Chessbase 9 and knows if a similar problem exists?

Search of mainlines appears fine. I guess that's something.

Cheers

Brian_Jones
01-08-2005, 03:43 PM
Thanks Boardumb, I think I've got it soughted now.Cheers

I think you must be some sort of banana, mate!

EGOR
01-08-2005, 05:25 PM
I think you must be some sort of banana, mate!
Strange comment! :hmm: