PDA

View Full Version : advice for website development

firegoat7
22-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Hello,

Could anybody steer me in the right direction towards user friendly internet resources for building a webpage with (ftp and email capabilities). Any advice on classic books to read and/or cheap freeware resources would be most appreciated.

Cheers Fg7

arosar
22-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Try download.com first mate, and see if there's anything there you can use for free. Another site is softpile.com.

AR

Spiny Norman
23-07-2005, 09:51 AM
Hiya FG7,

The following was recommended to me yesterday by a reliable source:

WYSIWYG Web Builder v1.8

Its free. Here's a review:

TINY, functional, WYSIWYG Web-page builder for beginners
20-Jun-2005 01:02:45 PM
Reviewer: dtbradio

Pros:

1. Microscopic size - the entire program folder only takes up 1.05 megs

2. VERY simple interface, and easy to learn (in my opinion)

3. Easily insert objects such as scripts (editable directly within the program), images, multimedia objects, etc.

4. Export clean, solid HTML, that appears in the browser pretty much exactly as you designed it to

5. Lots of layout and formatting tools, similar to word-processing programs taking up MUCH more space.

6. Layout spacing and generation uses HTML tables, which means your page will be able to be viewed with older browsers not having CSS capability. This is also a con, meaning you cannot have overlapping elements.

Cons: This program really has no major problems at all. It is a bit limited for someone who needs to develop full-featured web sites with the latest web technology, but since its not geared toward that type of user, I guess you really can't call that a flaw. The ONE thing that I don't like is that you cannot load an existing HTML file and edit it. However, most of the free and low-cost WYSIWYG editors available right now are like that, so nothing new....

*--------------------------------------------

In terms of stuff that I have personal experience with ... well ... it really depends on what platform is going to host the site and the level of administrative control you have over the site.

The Croydon Chess website is hosted at my work, and since I'm the IT Manager I have a high degree of control over the environment. I suppose not everyone is in that lucky situation. We had one of our club members build the site ... he's in the IT game too and did a fabulous job on the first cut. I've given him a local account on the server (i.e. not a domain account, and account that only works on that specific server) and hooked up an FTP service that links to the root directory of the website. So he can upload files without me compromising security for the rest of the network/domain.

That has been adequate for v1 of the site, but all we really offer there at the moment is HTML and some chess board plugins to show games played at the club. The next version we intend will be built around a content management platform that is freeware called Dot Net Nuke (a Microsoft.NET version of phpNuke). I expect that we'll make that cutover some time around the end of the year. It will give us an HTML-based administrative interface to the site and enable us to plug-in and plug-out content as we wish, without the need for FTP.

That's about as much as I know. Let me know if you want me to put you in touch with our web guy. He may have some additional knowledge that could be helpful.

ElevatorEscapee
24-07-2005, 11:10 PM
Worldzone... for free webspace, and professional support :-) (Someone on this particular forum used to be a mod for a couple of years on their support forum :) ).

chesswiz
10-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Hello,

We have an online chess store (http://www.entertainguests.com) currently hosted by Go Daddy. We'd like to setup our own server to host this website since we want to add many features that requires installing software on the server.

Does anyone have any previous experience setting up a server machine? I am the current developer for this site and would like to know the estimated costs for setting up a box that would run fairly quickly.

The site is developed in ASP .NET using C#. So, we would need windows server and sql server. Setting up a firewall and anti-virus is not a problem. Any insight on which servers are good and reliable and the cost would be helpful.

Thank you,
Aaron

Spiny Norman
10-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Can't really answer those questions until I understand the needs. How many users on the site? Running what other applications, if any? What are your uptime requirements (%uptime)? Will you host it yourself, or are you going to put in into someone else's data centre?

chesswiz
11-09-2007, 01:43 PM
We would like to host it ourselves as we hope to expand and develop other websites. This would give us the flexibility of upgrading and managing our servers.

Ideally, we would like to have a 95% uptime and 5% downtime for updates or and hardware issues.

We will want to support at least 1000 concurrent users. Although, initially we are realistically looking at 100 - 200 concurrent users.

We'll be running .NET framework and SQL Server 2005. We'll need Email Support (although we are thinking about putting it on a separate box). We'd like to have the bandwidth support the website and not much anything else.

Thanks for your help.