PDA

View Full Version : Chess Administraion

PHAT
15-07-2005, 12:08 AM
Have a look through this link (http://www.dsr.nsw.gov.au/industry/index.asp) and ask how the administration of chess in this country measures up. Sure, we are luck to have some gems, but the rest :doh:

auriga
15-07-2005, 08:32 AM
Have a look through this link (http://www.dsr.nsw.gov.au/industry/index.asp) and ask how the administration of chess in this country measures up. Sure, we are luck to have some gems, but the rest :doh:

interesting link.

however, most of these are hard to do without the last i guess (volunteers).
also, i would have grouped 3 and 6 together.

some of the junior chess organisers are very good at the first 2 points
but not in adult chess.

i think in the module 'Volunteer Management: A Guide to Good Practice' the most important part is 'how not to piss off volunteers to the point where they quit'!

one difference between australia and other countries would be the grants.
i still think money should be skimmed off traditionals sports (nrl, afl)
where there is no real international competition and put into chess.
to do this i think their has to be continual push to known as a sport (rather than recreation) and has to be the first step.

a few players would come under the category 'sport rage' right!? :)

PHAT
15-07-2005, 10:23 AM
some of the junior chess organisers are very good at the first 2 points
but not in adult chess.

Dead right.

i think in the module 'Volunteer Management: A Guide to Good Practice' the most important part is 'how not to piss off volunteers to the point where they quit'!

Maybe not THE most, but definately very important. I think, however, That it is a whole package thing. ie All the individual parts need to be working or else the whole will fail. Thus, nothing and everything is THE most imortant.

The disheartening thing for me is that I look at Australian chess and see that there is so many missing parts that to ever assemble the whole, may be impossible. Many of the older faces in chess admin have capitulated to this horror as a feit a comple.

one difference between australia and other countries would be the grants.
i still think money should be skimmed off traditionals sports (nrl, afl)
where there is no real international competition and put into chess.

Actually NSW is different to other states in that most chess clubs are already skimming from a footy clubs. They provide a comfy venue and pay for trophies.

to do this i think their has to be continual push to known as a sport (rather than recreation) and has to be the first step.

Yes. How is our ACF performing on this? Is it working for its keep?

a few players would come under the category 'sport rage' right!? :)

Yes .............. there are a few :rolleyes:

antichrist
15-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Matt, What is that Illawarra Chess Forum about, is it one of your babies?

Bill Gletsos
15-07-2005, 02:01 PM
Matt, What is that Illawarra Chess Forum about, is it one of your babies?No, it was setup by Barry Cox. It has not however had any activity since March.

HAL
15-07-2005, 02:05 PM
No, it was setup by Barry Cox. It has not however had any activity since March.

Yes, this is correct. Not enough online chess players interested in participating in the Illawarra. :(

regards, Barry

Libby
15-07-2005, 06:54 PM

We covered a lot of this sort of territory here http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=1747&page=1&pp=15

The Club Development Network mentioned offers lots of free resources to Clubs to help them run themselves in a "professional" (conduct, not salary) manner.

I'm always a little suprised that some in chess feel they are in such a completely different boat than "Joe Average" sport. Bitching, infighting & poor administration cycles around almost every sports club and entity. And we are not the ARU, NRL or AFL- we're not even the NBL. We are not swimming, athletics or even gymnastics. We are a minor sport. We rely on volunteers at every administrative level as basically all minor sports do. It's very difficult to obtain the sort of funding required to engage a non-volunteer workforce on a ongoing basis for any minor sport.

Look at softball. The loss of Olympic status will cut funding and they are likely to have to cut their paid national office positions as a consequence. They have some sponsorship, they are eligible for grants (as a sport) but still run significantly as a voluntary administration. Not an Olympic sport anymore? See you later!

Some volunteers are better than others. Just like some paid people are better than others. If we all concentrated hard on running things well at our own grass roots level we can create growth & recognition & funding & status for chess. I think minor sports need a "trickle up" effect rather than expecting everything to trickle down from the national body.

If lots of good, vibrant local clubs and junior development is happening and that can translate to a good pool of people working cooperatively in a State association, then it should also make the next step at a national level.

But this BB is always airing examples of state infighting, state/club interests, historical grievances and deep suspicion. Not a spirit of cooperation.